"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-55X900B / XBR-65X900B / XBR-79X900B Thread - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 562Likes

post #3151 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
Right, the article is basically saying the same thing I just did above. The point the author is making is that the 4K 3D panel is capable of true 1080p vertical resolution without having to down-convert the native vertical resolution as 2K passive 3D panels do. I don't think the author is suggesting the doubled horizontal pixel count is improving the picture or by extrapolation that that doubling the vertical pixel count (on a 4K active panel) would. There is an obvious and massive picture quality hit to down-converting resolution but a less obvious benefit to up-converting, thus why so many of us own Blu-ray players and discs rather than just up-converting DVD's. Not all up-conversion is created equal and with DVD up-conversion to a 1080P panel that is particularly true since it's not a whole-number multiplier (which is why great up-converted make DVD look better than others). Less obvious that up-converting 1080P to 4K materially improves the PQ. And in fact CNET just did a round-up review of several new 4K sets, including Samsung, Sony and LG and made that exact point -- that 1080P content on 4K was the same as 1080P content on a 1080P set, no better or worse. That's what I would expect of 2K 3D content on a 4K active 3D panel as well. Not better or worse, but with the other issues "active introduces, which matter for some and not for others.
Another quote:

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/...1238487/review
"Since this is an active 3D system, its 3D pictures will be scaled to UHD, rather than the essentially full HD resolution delivered by UHD 3D TVs that use the passive 3D system."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassplayer6 View Post
Another quote:

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/...1238487/review
"Since this is an active 3D system, its 3D pictures will be scaled to UHD, rather than the essentially full HD resolution delivered by UHD 3D TVs that use the passive 3D system."
Exactly.

Scaled. I'm just not convinced that's a major benefit. You are not improving the resolution of the information, only extrapolating it to a higher pixel count. Reviews on that are mixed. It probably is very subjective to the user. I saw the french review that liked it, but that person also seemed to like 4K upscaling in general where other reviewers have said they didn't see a discernible difference. In any event, again I think this will come down to whether someone is totally fine with Active 3D in general. If you can sit for 3 hours with Active 3D and not get any headaches, and don't mind the charging or battery swaps and cost of the glasses, occasional syncing, etc., then why not -- at worst it's the same and at best you appreciate the pixel scaling. But if, like everyone in my household, you hate those issues with Active, a 4K passive set removes all those issues which made 3D not worth watching and still gives you the full resolution of the source material.
bruceames likes this.
post #3153 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Exactly.

Scaled. I'm just not convinced that's a major benefit. You are not improving the resolution of the information, only extrapolating it to a higher pixel count. Reviews on that are mixed. It probably is very subjective to the user. I saw the french review that liked it, but that person also seemed to like 4K upscaling in general where other reviewers have said they didn't see a discernible difference. In any event, again I think this will come down to whether someone is totally fine with Active 3D in general. If you can sit for 3 hours with Active 3D and not get any headaches, and don't mind the charging or battery swaps and cost of the glasses, occasional syncing, etc., then why not -- at worst it's the same and at best you appreciate the pixel scaling. But if, like everyone in my household, you hate those issues with Active, a 4K passive set removes all those issues which made 3D not worth watching and still gives you the full resolution of the source material.
Agree with you when source is 1080P, but putting down $8k for a TV that maybe in 1-2 years will not be able to play 4k 3d material in 4k worries me a little.
post #3154 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
I saw no DSE or banding on the LG. If it is a 10 bit panel the Sony 79XB would have even better color
LG 79UB9800 review:

Please check 01:15 - blooming/halo :-(

Hopefully we have not the same situation with the 79X900B.
post #3155 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdoG View Post
LG 79UB9800 review:

http://youtu.be/X5NGe0dUScY

Please check 01:15 - blooming/halo :-(

Hopefully we have not the same situation with the 79X900B.
The blooming in the video seems minor and even the reporter dismissed it as such. Short of a FALD set, does any LCD have no blooming? Don't even most FALD sets have a bit.
timc1475, Janibrewski and Rf13 like this.
post #3156 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Yea for an edge lit that could be worse, but to some it's acceptable. For the price maybe not. The x950b I recently sat and watched for half an hour was perfect. I saw no blooming or anything unusual. I also saw the x9b and 850b they both looked great except they both appeared to have grainy backgrounds and it just looked distracting. The only thing that was clear was whatever was in focus. I've seen reports of this here as well that why I mentioned it, I hope this isn't the case all the time when 4k is playing. I think it could have been a source issue as well as some sets look better in different stores etc. I am still surprise about the blooming reports from the 950 I was in a completely dark room with it and saw no visible issues.
post #3157 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 514
The 950B has as bad of blooming as any FUll-array I have ever seen. Sometimes we see what we want to see until it's in our home and our 30 day return period is over.

The 850B and 900B have no more or less grain in the picture than the 950B. I wish CNET reviewed the 950B with the 900B, I am sure the blooming, poor off angle viewing and price would have given the 950 a lower score than the 900B. More money does not always mean smarter purchase.
tubetwister and Rf13 like this.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 07-09-2014 at 05:05 PM.
post #3158 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

All I want is a picture that preserves the film-like look of the source material (when applicable), like plasma did, without noticeable motion blur, with no major set artifacts that you would notice during normal content screening. I have seen sets that look hideous on the white, black or grey test slides -- DSE, flashighting, etc. -- where those issues aren't distracting during content. One of my plasma has horrible IR issues (but no burn-in), but I only notice it on solid color screens which short of commercials is almost never. No set is perfect but I want to become immersed in a movie theater-like experience (and am not going to a projector). So far I haven't tested any LCD at the store, including the 65" 900, that didn't lose some of that film-like look and presume some of that sharp video-like look. Can the 900 be calibrated to get there? If so, great.
post #3159 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
All I want is a picture that preserves the film-like look of the source material (when applicable), like plasma did, without noticeable motion blur, with no major set artifacts that you would notice during normal content screening. I have seen sets that look hideous on the white, black or grey test slides -- DSE, flashighting, etc. -- where those issues aren't distracting during content. One of my plasma has horrible IR issues (but no burn-in), but I only notice it on solid color screens which short of commercials is almost never. No set is perfect but I want to become immersed in a movie theater-like experience (and am not going to a projector). So far I haven't tested any LCD at the store, including the 65" 900, that didn't lose some of that film-like look and presume some of that sharp video-like look. Can the 900 be calibrated to get there? If so, great.
None of the top 4K sets will look hideous. If your a plasma fan (nothing wrong with that). One of the Sponsers of this forum sells a Huge plasma, 80" or about there. My guess is the 79X900B would be enough to make any plasma person happy but we are a strange, picky group.
post #3160 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Yep, we happen to have 3 used, but warranted 85" Panasonic Plasma for dirt cheap......
post #3161 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Yep, we happen to have 3 used, but warranted 85" Panasonic Plasma for dirt cheap......
CP
Am wondering, have you as a dealer seen any of the new UHD 4k sets delivered to your place of business placed incorrectly in the delivery truck? I mean the set has been placed in the truck on its side instead of right side up. And is it possible that this incorrect position COULD affect the sets performance? May explain SOME of the returned sets from Amazon and BB, as well as direct from the MFG distribution warehouse.
Just wondering.
greyscale
tubetwister likes this.
post #3162 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyscale70 View Post
CP
Am wondering, have you as a dealer seen any of the new UHD 4k sets delivered to your place of business placed incorrectly in the delivery truck? I mean the set has been placed in the truck on its side instead of right side up. And is it possible that this incorrect position COULD affect the sets performance? May explain SOME of the returned sets from Amazon and BB, as well as direct from the MFG distribution warehouse.
Just wondering.
greyscale
You will hear many people say that it's fine to lay a LCD/LED on its side. I disagree this should never be done. It can cause screen uniformity issues at best and a broken or cracked glass panel at worst. Had an lcd panel delivered like that and had the guys put it back in the van went to the store and had them order me a new one (which I picked up from the warehouse). You may not see any issues until after you are out of your return/exchange period why take that risk. Besides there is a reason these boxes come with a this side up logo.
post #3163 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I spent a few minutes with the 79x900b again today at Best Buy. They are now showing Sony 4K content, X-Games etc that is on their X950B. I found the remote and changed it from vivid to standard (Options were Custom, Vivid, Standard) but I could not locate the option to turn off auto brightness control. Blooming wasn't very noticeable at all to me but I did notice it slightly when just the white Sony logo flew in and out. In standard mode side bars were not as dark as I would have hoped but I did not go into the menu very far looking at settings. How are the black levels in a dark room? From what I saw side bars are noticeably not black but its probably just settings. This PQ quality is outstanding.
post #3164 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Which best buy on the 79er?

Please post specific locations when u come across a 79..

Thanks
post #3165 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by david(dallas) View Post
Which best buy on the 79er?

Please post specific locations when u come across a 79..

Thanks
Costa Mesa, CA.
post #3166 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvforgames View Post
You will hear many people say that it's fine to lay a LCD/LED on its side. I disagree this should never be done. It can cause screen uniformity issues at best and a broken or cracked glass panel at worst. Had an lcd panel delivered like that and had the guys put it back in the van went to the store and had them order me a new one (which I picked up from the warehouse). You may not see any issues until after you are out of your return/exchange period why take that risk. Besides there is a reason these boxes come with a this side up logo.
This will not cause uniformity issues. How do you think they assemble and repair he sets? They do not want them on their sides because they do no want you to stack them. Plasma's are a different story, the glass can break. Uniformity issues have never been caused by anything but backlight issues or poor panels. Many more sets get damaged when they tip over from people trying to move them upright. The 65X900B come with an extremely top heavy box, you have to make sure if your moving it upright that you strap it well but not so tight you break something. I seen a 65 with a perfect box with a damaged screen, more them likely from tipping over.

Here is a CNET article about uniformity issues, all LCD sets have them.http://www.cnet.com/news/is-lcd-and-...ity-a-problem/

Last edited by Vegas oled; 07-09-2014 at 09:17 PM.
post #3167 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hodge View Post
I spent a few minutes with the 79x900b again today at Best Buy. They are now showing Sony 4K content, X-Games etc that is on their X950B. I found the remote and changed it from vivid to standard (Options were Custom, Vivid, Standard) but I could not locate the option to turn off auto brightness control. Blooming wasn't very noticeable at all to me but I did notice it slightly when just the white Sony logo flew in and out. In standard mode side bars were not as dark as I would have hoped but I did not go into the menu very far looking at settings. How are the black levels in a dark room? From what I saw side bars are noticeably not black but its probably just settings. This PQ quality is outstanding.
Home-settings-preferences-Eco-light sensor to off.
post #3168 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Checked out the 79X900B at Best Buy at Santana Row in San Jose, CA - they also have the 78" curved Samsung 9000. For me, both speakers and curve are a bit of a negative. After seeing both in the 78/79" size, I've got to say the speakers bother me less than that curve. I'd say the curve at 78" is like a tiny pebble in my shoe that just might bug me for as long as I own the TV. The speakers? Eh, not so bad on the 79" screen. I prefer the look of the X850B, but they only go up to 70" and I don't want to wait until next year.

My last bit of waffling will be a last ditch comparison to the LG 9800 series - I could get an 84" screen that takes up less wall space than the 79X900B - and the Samsung 85" 8550. But for now, looks like I'm heading towards the Sony.

Reflections were definitely present on the X900B, but with bright content I think it will be OK. For important daytime viewing (e.g. playoffs), I'll likely have to close the curtains on the huge windows behind my seating area.

I had them put the Direct TV feed to both the Sony and the Samsung 9000, and both looked fine. Not special like 4k, but good enough for me to enjoy from 5+ feet back. FWIW our main seating is 12.5 ft from the tv.
post #3169 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibrewski View Post
Checked out the 79X900B at Best Buy at Santana Row in San Jose, CA - they also have the 78" curved Samsung 9000. For me, both speakers and curve are a bit of a negative. After seeing both in the 78/79" size, I've got to say the speakers bother me less than that curve. I'd say the curve at 78" is like a tiny pebble in my shoe that just might bug me for as long as I own the TV. The speakers? Eh, not so bad on the 79" screen. I prefer the look of the X850B, but they only go up to 70" and I don't want to wait until next year.

My last bit of waffling will be a last ditch comparison to the LG 9800 series - I could get an 84" screen that takes up less wall space than the 79X900B - and the Samsung 85" 8550. But for now, looks like I'm heading towards the Sony.

Reflections were definitely present on the X900B, but with bright content I think it will be OK. For important daytime viewing (e.g. playoffs), I'll likely have to close the curtains on the huge windows behind my seating area.

I had them put the Direct TV feed to both the Sony and the Samsung 9000, and both looked fine. Not special like 4k, but good enough for me to enjoy from 5+ feet back. FWIW our main seating is 12.5 ft from the tv.
Not promoting Samsung over Sony but the 75UN8550 is $3,000 cheaper than the Sony and not curved and no speakers.
tubetwister likes this.
post #3170 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
This will not cause uniformity issues. How do you think they assemble and repair he sets? They do not want them on their sides because they do no want you to stack them. Plasma's are a different story, the glass can break. Uniformity issues have never been caused by anything but backlight issues or poor panels. Many more sets get damaged when they tip over from people trying to move them upright. The 65X900B come with an extremely top heavy box, you have to make sure if your moving it upright that you strap it well but not so tight you break something. I seen a 65 with a perfect box with a damaged screen, more them likely from tipping over.

Here is a CNET article about uniformity issues, all LCD sets have them.http://www.cnet.com/news/is-lcd-and-...ity-a-problem/
No, laying an LCD/LED flat CAN cause uniformity issues. These tv's are made to support there weight vertically so when you lay them flat there is not enough support in the middle of the panel which can cause distortions along the edges of the screen. The likely hood of this happening is increased if the tv is laid flat for prolonged periods of time, if the panel has a glass overlay or if it is being transported.
post #3171 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No, laying an LCD/LED flat CAN cause uniformity issues. These tv's are made to support there weight vertically so when you lay them flat there is not enough support in the middle of the panel which can cause distortions along the edges of the screen. The likely hood of this happening is increased if the tv is laid flat for prolonged periods of time, if the panel has a glass overlay or if it is being transported.
Sorry, not true, it's all in your head. It is just as likely you hit a bump in the upright position whcih can losen something up and cause problems. I have moved LCD panels on their backs with stacks of blankets and never had an issue. No article written about uniformity blames moving them on their backside. Uniformity is a backlight and or panel issue from the first day out of the factory it is there.
tubetwister likes this.
post #3172 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Sorry, not true, it's all in your head. It is just as likely you hit a bump in the upright position whcih can losen something up and cause problems. I have moved LCD panels on their backs with stacks of blankets and never had an issue. No article written about uniformity blames moving them on their backside. Uniformity is a backlight and or panel issue from the first day out of the factory it is there.

Anyone who tells you it is ok to transport a tv flat is giving you bad advice. You are asking for problems I assure you. There is this old saying that I believe applies here, "if in doubt DONT!"
post #3173 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anyone who tells you it is ok to transport a tv flat is giving you bad advice. You are asking for problems I assure you. There is this old saying that I believe applies here, "if in doubt DONT!"
Every single sony 65x900B has uniformity problems and it has nothing to do with how it was delivered. And if you say yours does not, you are only fooling yourself. I have checked 10 sets and they all had it to some degree. It's ok to live with your superstition on moving LED/LCD panels, it cannot hurt a set to move it upright but it will not cause uniformity issues to move it on it's back. Be Very Carefull moving a 65XB in the box, make sure you have a good strap or tie to keep it upright if this is what you choose because I guarantee you if it tips your screwed.

I was at Best Buys and the Sony rep was showing me how their 65900B did not have the uniformity issue, funny thing it was the worst I seen.
tubetwister likes this.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 07-09-2014 at 10:16 PM.
post #3174 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Every single sony 65x900B has uniformity problems and it has nothing to do with how it was delivered. And if you say yours does not, you are only fooling yourself. I have checked 10 sets and they all had it to some degree. It's ok to live with your superstition on moving LED/LCD panels, it cannot hurt a set to move it upright but it will not cause uniformity issues to move it on it's back. Be Very Carefull moving a 65XB in the box, make sure you have a food strap or tie to keep it upright if this is what you choose because I guarantee you if it tips your screwed.

I was at Best Buys and the Sony rep was showing me how their 65900B did not have the uniformity issue, funny thing it was the worst I seen.

Not sure what part of my posts this is a response to "Every single sony 65x900B has uniformity problems and it has nothing to do with how it was delivered. And if you say yours does not, you are only fooling yourself"

The ONLY reason people transport tv's flat is b/c they do not have the space to transport them upright, and if big box store employees told the truth to customers about transporting large screen tv's eveytime one stated "I don't think this will fit in my vehicle" there would be a whole lot fewer sales, so they tell people it is ok to lay them flat.
I will be picking up my 65X900B next week, from the warehouse and I assure you it will be upright. You can call it superstition, I call it common sense.
post #3175 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not sure what part of my posts this is a response to "Every single sony 65x900B has uniformity problems and it has nothing to do with how it was delivered. And if you say yours does not, you are only fooling yourself"

The ONLY reason people transport tv's flat is b/c they do not have the space to transport them upright, and if big box store employees told the truth to customers about transporting large screen tv's eveytime one stated "I don't think this will fit in my vehicle" there would be a whole lot fewer sales, so they tell people it is ok to lay them flat.
I will be picking up my 65X900B next week, from the warehouse and I assure you it will be upright. You can call it superstition, I call it common sense.
You tried blaming transport on uniformity, this is not true. Make sure you have a good strap the box is extremely top heavy and will tip very easy.
post #3176 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

This is my current set at 10 IRE not bad and why I consider this much better than my first one.

I can expose the banding worse with certain grey scales and still can see slight banding with content and this is one of the better sets. The 950B does seem much better with uniformity but they still have DSE.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 07-09-2014 at 10:33 PM.
post #3177 of 4367 Old 07-09-2014, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Not promoting Samsung over Sony but the 75UN8550 is $3,000 cheaper than the Sony and not curved and no speakers.
Exactly right! If I become fiscally prudent overnight, the 75UN8550 might be my move. But knowing me, while ordering I'd say WTF give me the 85UN8550, and then where would I be?

The good news for me is that I'm easily impressed. Heck, I'm watching a game right now (Yankees-Indians, 4-4 in the 12th), and I think my Sony 60" EX700 looks fantastic.
tubetwister and Vegas oled like this.
post #3178 of 4367 Old 07-10-2014, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So, ive never taken photos of an TV before, but this is my 55" 900B in my bedroom with lights turned completely off watching Pacific Rim.

Settings on TV - Cinema, Cinema 2, Backlight - 8, Motion Flow True Cinema. Everything else has just slighty been adjusted, maybe a color at 48, but close to specs of out of the box.

Camera - Fuji XT1 mounted to bed iso200, aperture 5.6 shutter varied between 1-2 seconds, Lens - 56mm set at 5.6 aperture. I shot in jpeg (i usually shoot raw but wanted to do as little adjusting as possible if any at all) and used Standard Film Simulation with no enhancements anywhere, uploaded to my phone and then uploaded here so im sure they are scaled down a bit (didnt feel like importing them computer as they looked good on my iPhone.)

Bluray Player - Oppo 103-D with Darby set to 15%, no other enhancements or adjustments made to player, also i have the player set to 1080p and not upscaled to 4K on the player.

I think i might have crushed the blacks slightly, i used the fuji remote app to adjust the settings on board without touching the camera which was resting on top of my bedframe, and since it was mirror less cam it gave me opportunity to view the image to match as close i could to what i saw on screen before hitting the shutter via the app.

Im sure you guys will give me constructive criticism as to how i could have done this better!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (150.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.jpg (243.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg photo 5.jpg (134.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg photo 6.jpg (238.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg photo 7.jpg (232.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg photo 9.jpg (280.0 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by DPAsghar; 07-10-2014 at 12:15 AM.
post #3179 of 4367 Old 07-10-2014, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Vegas was all the massaging done on the 900B's & 950B's done in vain then? Should the masseuse be set loose?

What we will be is not what we are, what we are is not what we were...therefore hoping in all things becomes possible.
post #3180 of 4367 Old 07-10-2014, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
This is my current set at 10 IRE not bad and why I consider this much better than my first one.

I can expose the banding worse with certain grey scales and still can see slight banding with content and this is one of the better sets. The 950B does seem much better with uniformity but they still have DSE.
Hey Vegas I am kinda embarrassed to ask, but I bet you know... but what does DSE stand for and mean? I am guessing it means digital signal error? But what does that look like?

Gee there is soooo much to relearn all over before another new purchase rolls slowly around for me every 6 to 8 years! This potato head forgets!

Thanks!

What we will be is not what we are, what we are is not what we were...therefore hoping in all things becomes possible.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page