"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-55X900B / XBR-65X900B / XBR-79X900B Thread - Page 107 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 471Likes

post #3181 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPAsghar View Post
So, ive never taken photos of an TV before, but this is my 55" 900B in my bedroom with lights turned completely off watching Pacific Rim.

Settings on TV - Cinema, Cinema 2, Backlight - 8, Motion Flow True Cinema. Everything else has just slighty been adjusted, maybe a color at 48, but close to specs of out of the box.

Camera - Fuji XT1 mounted to bed iso200, aperture 5.6 shutter varied between 1-2 seconds, Lens - 56mm set at 5.6 aperture. I shot in jpeg (i usually shoot raw but wanted to do as little adjusting as possible if any at all) and used Standard Film Simulation with no enhancements anywhere, uploaded to my phone and then uploaded here so im sure they are scaled down a bit (didnt feel like importing them computer as they looked good on my iPhone.)

Bluray Player - Oppo 103-D with Darby set to 15%, no other enhancements or adjustments made to player, also i have the player set to 1080p and not upscaled to 4K on the player.

I think i might have crushed the blacks slightly, i used the fuji remote app to adjust the settings on board without touching the camera which was resting on top of my bedframe, and since it was mirror less cam it gave me opportunity to view the image to match as close i could to what i saw on screen before hitting the shutter via the app.

Im sure you guys will give me constructive criticism as to how i could have done this better!
Hate to tell you, but I think you done graduated dude! Your pics are delicious! Color, blacks & oh my my the detail... can I get an amen up in here?

Whatever you're doing don't stop.

Vegas oled likes this.

What we will be is not what we are, what we are is not what we were...therefore hoping in all things becomes possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 01:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
Hey Vegas I am kinda embarrassed to ask, but I bet you know... but what does DSE stand for and mean? I am guessing it means digital signal error? But what does that look like?

Gee there is soooo much to relearn all over before another new purchase rolls slowly around for me every 6 to 8 years! This potato head forgets!

Thanks!
You do not want to know. The more you know of the flaws and imperfection the more you will find it. I will not ruin anyone chances of being happy with a panel who is not already ruined.
Janibrewski likes this.
post #3183 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 60
At the start of this video it shows the 79x900b and the 65 on a mostly black screen and the 79s blacks look noticeably lighter. Who knows what the settings of the TVs are like though.

post #3184 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Hey Vegas I am kinda embarrassed to ask, but I bet you know... but what does DSE stand for and mean? I am guessing it means digital signal error? But what does that look like?

Gee there is soooo much to relearn all over before another new purchase rolls slowly around for me every 6 to 8 years! This potato head forgets!

Thanks!
http://www.rtings.com/info/gray-unif...een-effect-dse

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE speakers x 7, DefTech ProSub 1000 x 2
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU,
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD FX8350, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
EVGA GTX-780 6GB SC, ACX Cooler, Gigabyte GTX-750Ti 2GB, 3840x2160@60Hz , AC-68 Router
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, Samsung HD204Ui 2TB, 3 UPS's
post #3185 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks!
http://www.rtings.com/info/gray-unif...een-effect-dse

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE speakers x 7, DefTech ProSub 1000 x 2
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU,
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD FX8350, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
EVGA GTX-780 6GB SC, ACX Cooler, Gigabyte GTX-750Ti 2GB, 3840x2160@60Hz , AC-68 Router
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, Samsung HD204Ui 2TB, 3 UPS's
post #3186 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
At the start of this video it shows the 79x900b and the 65 on a mostly black screen and the 79s blacks look noticeably lighter. Who knows what the settings of the TVs are like though.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W-nK61CNJZ4
Good luck trying to determine black levels from that video! His video was mostly over-exposed and really did little to shed any light on black levels. Videos as well as pictures from a screen just won't show you this kind of detail.

Black levels might be the weakness of the 79", but this video won't answer that question.
post #3187 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Hate to tell you, but I think you done graduated dude! Your pics are delicious! Color, blacks & oh my my the detail... can I get an amen up in here?

Whatever you're doing don't stop.

Thank you
post #3188 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Good luck trying to determine black levels from that video! His video was mostly over-exposed and really did little to shed any light on black levels. Videos as well as pictures from a screen just won't show you this kind of detail.

Black levels might be the weakness of the 79", but this video won't answer that question.
The right one and the left one looks the same size.

And if they really have different sizes - the right one looks darker - but in the video, the right one is the 79 inch I think.
post #3189 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just wanted to post my feedback from the 65" set. I've had three delivered so far in quite the horror run.

1) Screen completely smashed
2) Banding and a dead pixel. Also a sizeable mark under the screen which couldn't be removed.
3) A massive green blob on the screen against black. One of the weirdest defects I've ever seen. I saw a few mentions of green blobs in this thread and sure enough this one has it. Also has bad light bleed at the top edge.

So needless to say the quality control is woeful on this one. Apparently there have been record numbers of returns on this set and I mentioned earlier that there is a full investigation into the quality control going on (in Australia at least).

Other observations. 3d cross-talk is seriously bad. Worst 3d TV I've owned.

The disappointing thing is that the TV is just so good, if it didn't have these faults I'd be so happy. The way the local dimming works for an edge lit is crazy. The up scaler is excellent, from 720p up looks really clear.

I don't think you'll find a set without banding but I've never seen an LED without banding so I don't know how much stock to put in that. I wouldn't say it's worse banding just similar to most other sets. The banding is worse against green (ie World Cup) then it is against white (hockey).

I'm going to keep going. Having owned a full-array 950 1080p set I rate the local dimming on this very high so I'd be inclined to recommend this of the two. I don't think I'll find a set I like more of the current crop. If you don't have a lot of time on your hands and a store with a good replacement policy, I would avoid this think like the plague.
post #3190 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W-nK61CNJZ4

At the beginning of the video, the 79" is on the RIGHT. He introduces it in the audio later.
Go to the 1:39 mark and you will see that the tripod is next to the tv that was originally on the left.
You can also us the soccer/futbol lines on the carpet to get the proper perspective.

BTW - getting my 79" next Thursday.
Vegas oled likes this.
post #3191 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbass View Post
Just wanted to post my feedback from the 65" set. I've had three delivered so far in quite the horror run.

1) Screen completely smashed
2) Banding and a dead pixel. Also a sizeable mark under the screen which couldn't be removed.
3) A massive green blob on the screen against black. One of the weirdest defects I've ever seen. I saw a few mentions of green blobs in this thread and sure enough this one has it. Also has bad light bleed at the top edge.

So needless to say the quality control is woeful on this one. Apparently there have been record numbers of returns on this set and I mentioned earlier that there is a full investigation into the quality control going on (in Australia at least).

Other observations. 3d cross-talk is seriously bad. Worst 3d TV I've owned.

The disappointing thing is that the TV is just so good, if it didn't have these faults I'd be so happy. The way the local dimming works for an edge lit is crazy. The up scaler is excellent, from 720p up looks really clear.

I don't think you'll find a set without banding but I've never seen an LED without banding so I don't know how much stock to put in that. I wouldn't say it's worse banding just similar to most other sets. The banding is worse against green (ie World Cup) then it is against white (hockey).

I'm going to keep going. Having owned a full-array 950 1080p set I rate the local dimming on this very high so I'd be inclined to recommend this of the two. I don't think I'll find a set I like more of the current crop. If you don't have a lot of time on your hands and a store with a good replacement policy, I would avoid this think like the plague.
Im not sure if you can pull this off where you live, but for me if I was having issues with a TV and had to return and exchange to a local store, Best Buy for example, I would (if i had resources) order the new unit to be sent to the store first and would not take possession until i got a chance to inspect the unit in front of store staff/management.

I had a defective 850B which i exchanged for a 900B, the first 900B came with a huge black and green blob across the screen. I had the second 900B dropped to the store first and then i was given the chance to inspect it before they would deliver. It delayed my a couple of days but it was worth it and i feel i was able to get a good panel.

I have a close friend who works for Sony, Territory Manager and I didn't mention my experience to him, rather he found out from another friend and he called and took detailed notes as to my experience. It seemed Sony wants to work very closely with their vendors on issues, how they are delivered etc. Ive worked many years ago in a delivery distribution center and can tell you these things take huge hits unfortunately in the delivery process and are not always direct fault of the manufacturer. All brands obviously not just Sony.
post #3192 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Sony is have a lot of returns on 4K sets for quality control issues. I believe a lot of the problem is the poor packaging for such a heavy set.
DPAsghar likes this.
post #3193 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
All I want is a picture that preserves the film-like look of the source material (when applicable), like plasma did, without noticeable motion blur, with no major set artifacts that you would notice during normal content screening. I have seen sets that look hideous on the white, black or grey test slides -- DSE, flashighting, etc. -- where those issues aren't distracting during content. One of my plasma has horrible IR issues (but no burn-in), but I only notice it on solid color screens which short of commercials is almost never. No set is perfect but I want to become immersed in a movie theater-like experience (and am not going to a projector). So far I haven't tested any LCD at the store, including the 65" 900, that didn't lose some of that film-like look and presume some of that sharp video-like look. Can the 900 be calibrated to get there? If so, great.
Sounds like you may need to down size to a LG OLED
post #3194 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 08:55 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Any access to actual 4k movies?
Don't understand what you ment ?
I only have ADSL2+ internet connection, about 16Mbits/s down, so I have not tried to play directly from internet as right now it lacks support for H.265/HEVC...
It does play most 4K videos I have downloded to my NAS from YouTube etc...
My main goal for the moment with the Minix Neo X8H (without copy to a USB-stick and running between floors) is to play "Slideshows" in 4K with music – the slideshows I will make myself from my photos + plus some timelaps I will try to make...
post #3195 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Sony is have a lot of returns on 4K sets for quality control issues. I believe a lot of the problem is the poor packaging for such a heavy set.
I agree with this, there was a huge (obviously) difference in the weight between the two tvs i got 850 and 900, yet the packaging was identical which surprised me.
post #3196 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvforgames View Post
No, laying an LCD/LED flat CAN cause uniformity issues. These tv's are made to support there weight vertically so when you lay them flat there is not enough support in the middle of the panel which can cause distortions along the edges of the screen. The likely hood of this happening is increased if the tv is laid flat for prolonged periods of time, if the panel has a glass overlay or if it is being transported.
Lets do a test then, wait we can not as all LED's and LCD's have uniformity issues to some degree to begin with .

TV's should be transported upright because glass type products should be transported this way for damage issues . I highly doubt transporting a TV flat will cause any manufacturers defects. I could be wrong, but we will never know.......
post #3197 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB63 View Post
At the beginning of the video, the 79" is on the RIGHT. He introduces it in the audio later.
Go to the 1:39 mark and you will see that the tripod is next to the tv that was originally on the left.
You can also us the soccer/futbol lines on the carpet to get the proper perspective.

Looking forward to your report. I'd like to hear more on black levels in a darkened environment, as the two owners thus far haven't spoken much about it.

Good luck!
post #3198 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB63 View Post

Ron,

I have mine, in theory, coming next sat.
I am still on the fence and might cancel the order due the passive 3d.
While it seems to provide a better image, in the future, if and when 4k 3d is available, the set would not be able to provide a full res 4k pic.
It is a minor issue, but when spending 8k on a TV, every minor/future usage counts.
Thoughts?

Andrew
post #3199 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I second that the X9 packaging is not sufficient for your typical freight delivery. Ok for mulitiple TV's upright on a pallet from manufacturer to retailer. But no guarantees what happens with this thing traveling cross country, laying flat on top of someone elses refrigerator (or worse on bottom) in the back of a packed semi trailer.

Speaking of trasporting LCD TV's laying flat, I'm about to transport a 65S990A (Sony's short lived curved screen flagship) about 1200 miles laying flat. The biggest question I have is if I should transport curved screen up or curved screen down. Will post back how it goes.
post #3200 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 26
the 65" is a hold for now because of all the bad panels people are getting. I'm going to wait and see if owners start returning the 79" before jumping in. I love where the price on the 65" is now, but have no confidence based on all these sucky experiences.
post #3201 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Finally got my new Sony XBR-70X850B.This TV is absolutely stunning to say the least! In the process of wiring up new Comcast HD box,PS4,Xbox 1, Sony 6200 DVD player. Also picked up the new Denon AVR-S900W 4k receiver to tie it all together! Stay tuned for pics
post #3202 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Looking forward to your report. I'd like to hear more on black levels in a darkened environment, as the two owners thus far haven't spoken much about it.
It's an IPS panel, of course it's going to be less than stellar, and certainly not up to the VA panel in the 65".
post #3203 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriumphRider 04 View Post
Finally got my new Sony XBR-70X850B.This TV is absolutely stunning to say the least! In the process of wiring up new Comcast HD box,PS4,Xbox 1, Sony 6200 DVD player. Also picked up the new Denon AVR-S900W 4k receiver to tie it all together! Stay tuned for pics
Here you go:

"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-49X850B / XBR-55X850B / XBR-65X850B / XBR-70X850B Thread
post #3204 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
It's an IPS panel, of course it's going to be less than stellar, and certainly not up to the VA panel in the 65".
Anyone confirmed the panel make then?
post #3205 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
In theory, but I'll wait for actual owner reports or a hands-on myself. What I have found is that the color and viewing angle do seem the best I've yet seen. Viewing angle is really very close to plasma from what I saw. So in terms of overall performance, we'll have to see how much of a hit we take in black levels. A slight hit might be worthwhile for other enhanced attributes...at least for some.
post #3206 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsoncleaver View Post
Anyone confirmed the panel make then?
The assumption is LG. There doesn't seem to be anyone else making a 79" panel.
post #3207 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
This is my current set at 10 IRE not bad and why I consider this much better than my first one.

I can expose the banding worse with certain grey scales and still can see slight banding with content and this is one of the better sets. The 950B does seem much better with uniformity but they still have DSE.
Your screen looks virtually the same as the XBR-65X900B that Sony delivered to my home last Friday.
The good news is that other than the unevenness with certain shades of grey, I never notice the issue
with regular tv watching or blu-ray videos.

And it's MUCH better than last years XBR-65X850A that I used to have.
post #3208 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 29
Quote:
In theory, but I'll wait for actual owner reports or a hands-on myself. What I have found is that the color and viewing angle do seem the best I've yet seen. Viewing angle is really very close to plasma from what I saw. So in terms of overall performance, we'll have to see how much of a hit we take in black levels. A slight hit might be worthwhile for other enhanced attributes...at least for some.

That is my working premise. I have a large room and I really can't stand the color shift and washed out look of the off angle of some TVs. I love great black levels but for my application size and angle will have to trump that.
post #3209 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricef View Post
That is my working premise. I have a large room and I really can't stand the color shift and washed out look of the off angle of some TVs. I love great black levels but for my application size and angle will have to trump that.

Just got word my 79" will be here tomorrow!!!
timc1475, UdoG and Janibrewski like this.
post #3210 of 3922 Old 07-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricef View Post
Just got word my 79" will be here tomorrow!!!
Please let us know about the black levels. The 900B is an excellent performer in this area, it's the only reason I still have this set.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page