"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-55X900B / XBR-65X900B / XBR-79X900B Thread - Page 108 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 106  107  108 109  110  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > "Official" 2014 Sony XBR-55X900B / XBR-65X900B / XBR-79X900B Thread
Vegas oled's Avatar Vegas oled 04:47 PM 07-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricef View Post
Just got word my 79" will be here tomorrow!!!
You have what I consider the ultimate 4K set.

DPAsghar's Avatar DPAsghar 05:15 PM 07-10-2014
I seriously doubt if anyone has yet, but have any of you guys tried out the Wireless Sub that sony pairs with the 900B. My 900B is in my bedroom and the sound has been pretty impressive. I like to keep it minimal however and don't feel the need to put a HT in the bedroom but some added bass would be nice.
Janibrewski's Avatar Janibrewski 05:22 PM 07-10-2014
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 79X900B.

My last concern is the reflections from the huge windows behind my seating area - will this make the TV unwatchable during the day without closing the curtains?

As of now, my matte Sony 60" EX700 is fine for most daytime viewing - cartoons, sports, sitcoms, etc. Only for movies or important sporting events (e.g. playoffs) do I close the curtains during the day.

Do any of you X900B owners have big windows behind your seating area? What is your experience?

The WAF will plummet if she has to close the curtains every time she watches something during the day...
everunman's Avatar everunman 05:28 PM 07-10-2014
Any Aussies, the 79 inch is coming here at a RRP of aud$10999

http://www.sony.com.au/product/kd-79x9000b

This will be my next Tv anyway, but the 55inch "A" will do for now
Vegas oled's Avatar Vegas oled 06:37 PM 07-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibrewski View Post
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 79X900B.

My last concern is the reflections from the huge windows behind my seating area - will this make the TV unwatchable during the day without closing the curtains?

As of now, my matte Sony 60" EX700 is fine for most daytime viewing - cartoons, sports, sitcoms, etc. Only for movies or important sporting events (e.g. playoffs) do I close the curtains during the day.

Do any of you X900B owners have big windows behind your seating area? What is your experience?

The WAF will plummet if she has to close the curtains every time she watches something during the day...
I have 4 windows, a plasma will not survive. The OLED and 900B perform well. I had an xbr8 which has a matte screen which would absorb the light and wash out the screen, I prefer the reflection.
Janibrewski's Avatar Janibrewski 09:12 PM 07-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
I have 4 windows, a plasma will not survive. The OLED and 900B perform well. I had an xbr8 which has a matte screen which would absorb the light and wash out the screen, I prefer the reflection.
Well then I'm out of reasons not to buy one. Worst case I'll be spending more money than necessary to make myself happy. I prefer that to saving a few bucks and wishing I'd gone bigger or better.

Thanks Vegas
timc1475's Avatar timc1475 09:34 PM 07-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorwizz View Post
Warning! Warning Will Robinson! Robbie the robot gave me this delicious apple to eat that told me all about DSE. It does not mean "digital signal effect" Dorothy. It means "dirty screen effect"! Vegas warned me daddy style, but now alas I have lost my DSE virginity! Theres no going back...

77" 4k LG OLED please rescue me! Where is my gyro?

Rf13's Avatar Rf13 09:48 PM 07-10-2014
Most of us here know about ECTV and Abe's of Maine. Hd guru decided to do a semi investigative article on both of them explaining the risk. If anyone ask about them this would be a great source to reference someone to. These guys aren't even making money without the up sales and there prices are lower than CA. Abe's is still in bankruptcy due to this so be warned guys.
http://hdguru.com/how-to-get-the-bes...-investigates/
cranster's Avatar cranster 10:53 PM 07-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibrewski View Post
Well then I'm out of reasons not to buy one. Worst case I'll be spending more money than necessary to make myself happy. I prefer that to saving a few bucks and wishing I'd gone bigger or better.

Thanks Vegas
After watching how quickly the price has dropped on the 65" set I don't see any reason to pay the initial premium for the new set. Black Friday is just 4 1/2 months away. There should be some great deals by then. Waiting even another 2 months should hopefully see at least one price drop.
Janibrewski's Avatar Janibrewski 11:17 PM 07-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranster View Post
After watching how quickly the price has dropped on the 65" set I don't see any reason to pay the initial premium for the new set. Black Friday is just 4 1/2 months away. There should be some great deals by then. Waiting even another 2 months should hopefully see at least one price drop.
Could be. Then again, how much is 4 1/2 months of happiness worth?
Vegas oled's Avatar Vegas oled 11:54 PM 07-10-2014
Every year people wait for Black Friday and the only sets that are a blowouts are the cheaper 32" or off name brands.
Vegas oled's Avatar Vegas oled 12:17 AM 07-11-2014
This s scary. Does anyone know how banding gets worse overtime? I am starting to see it in content, how much worse does it get?

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7181701_banding-lcd-tv_.html
surfersd 02:50 AM 07-11-2014
Okay... This is really starting to get on my nerves and I can't bite my tongue anymore! I currently have a XBR-55X900B that was a direct Sony replacement for my XBR-55X900A.

Every night, multiple times, the TV will reboot itself. It doesn't matter if I'm on HDMI1 (connected at a resolution of 1080p) or watching Netflix using the on-board application built into the TV.

I'm running Software Version PKG2.187AAA.

I've run the self diagnosis, it's fine, networking setup is fine (wired connection).

I've had this TV for a little under 2 months now. The 2013 model I had for 2 month as well. I am wondering if it's time I got away from Sony as this should not be happening. I'm getting close to loading up the TV and driving down to the Sony Building that is right down the road and putting it in a box full of lemons.

What gives!?!
Mattopotamus's Avatar Mattopotamus 06:33 AM 07-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPAsghar View Post
I seriously doubt if anyone has yet, but have any of you guys tried out the Wireless Sub that sony pairs with the 900B. My 900B is in my bedroom and the sound has been pretty impressive. I like to keep it minimal however and don't feel the need to put a HT in the bedroom but some added bass would be nice.
Carlos has the wireless sub. He said it does make a pretty big difference. The CNET review also says the wireless sub makes a significant impact.
Aldonator 08:11 AM 07-11-2014
Hey guys! I’ve been a long time lurker on this thread since the very first posting! The information, insight, links, videos, and images provided thus far have been all greatly appreciated and fun to follow.

Here is my story: I am moving into a newly built home here in the U.S. this upcoming Tuesday and I have been patiently waiting to purchase the Sony XBR-65x900b. I will be having it wall mounted using my recently purchased and compatible Sanus VLF410B1 full-motion/articulating mount. However, I am having a hard time deciding of whom I should purchase the TV, extended warranty, professional wall mounting service, and professional calibration service from (Best Buy, Sony, or combination of both).

My dilemma is that when I called Sony a few weeks ago to get some basic information on my interest in the 65x900b, the representative checked with her manager and mentioned that they would be able to professionally wall mount the TV for me (normally a Sony value of $349.99) for free if I purchased at least a 2 year Sony extended warranty (a Sony value of $199.99). My first thought, was WOW, this is a great deal for me since I plan on purchasing the 5-year Sony extended warranty (a Sony value of $399.99) anyhow. With that said, I even asked the Sony rep if I were to get the 5-year Sony extended warranty, would Sony would be able to professionally calibrate the TV for free (a Sony value of $99.99) as well when they deliver and mount the TV. The rep said she will ask her manager and get back to me regarding this when I setup my order on the day I am ready to do so. But even if for some reason they choose not to give me the free calibration service in addition to the free wall mount service as well, the service for calibrating the TV through Sony is still only $99.99 as compared to Best Buy’s Geek Squad price to calibrate a TV of $249.99. Also, BB’s Geek Squad’s price of their extended warranties for this TV are $399.99 for just 2 years and a whopping $999.99 for 5 years. Additionally, BB’s Geek Squad’s price of their wall mounting service is $249.99 for this TV.

So beyond just the obvious cost savings of purchasing the 65x900b through Sony, can someone please provide any advice, recommendations, and/or responses to the following questions:

1) How is the delivery service of Sony for large TVs like this compared to BB’s Geek Squad?
2) Has anyone ever had a Sony TV recently wall mounted through Sony and/or professionally calibrated through them? If so, how was your experience, since I am assuming that more than likely the delivery, wall mount installation, and calibration service men are sub-contracted out by Sony for my location (seeing that I do not have a Sony store near me any longer after the Sony store closings)?
3) Given the high prices of BB’s extended warranties on the 65x900b as compared to Sony, are there differences, and/or pros and cons in coverage? If so, can you please explain?

Thank you for any information, recommendation, and/or past experiences that you are willing to share. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
Rudy1's Avatar Rudy1 08:51 AM 07-11-2014
If it were me I'd deal only with Sony. Any issues with delivery, mounting, calibration, etc., would be THEIR problem, and you wouldn't have a "middleman" (Best Buy) to deal with.
Vegas oled's Avatar Vegas oled 08:56 AM 07-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldonator View Post
Hey guys! I’ve been a long time lurker on this thread since the very first posting! The information, insight, links, videos, and images provided thus far have been all greatly appreciated and fun to follow.

Here is my story: I am moving into a newly built home here in the U.S. this upcoming Tuesday and I have been patiently waiting to purchase the Sony XBR-65x900b. I will be having it wall mounted using my recently purchased and compatible Sanus VLF410B1 full-motion/articulating mount. However, I am having a hard time deciding of whom I should purchase the TV, extended warranty, professional wall mounting service, and professional calibration service from (Best Buy, Sony, or combination of both).

My dilemma is that when I called Sony a few weeks ago to get some basic information on my interest in the 65x900b, the representative checked with her manager and mentioned that they would be able to professionally wall mount the TV for me (normally a Sony value of $349.99) for free if I purchased at least a 2 year Sony extended warranty (a Sony value of $199.99). My first thought, was WOW, this is a great deal for me since I plan on purchasing the 5-year Sony extended warranty (a Sony value of $399.99) anyhow. With that said, I even asked the Sony rep if I were to get the 5-year Sony extended warranty, would Sony would be able to professionally calibrate the TV for free (a Sony value of $99.99) as well when they deliver and mount the TV. The rep said she will ask her manager and get back to me regarding this when I setup my order on the day I am ready to do so. But even if for some reason they choose not to give me the free calibration service in addition to the free wall mount service as well, the service for calibrating the TV through Sony is still only $99.99 as compared to Best Buy’s Geek Squad price to calibrate a TV of $249.99. Also, BB’s Geek Squad’s price of their extended warranties for this TV are $399.99 for just 2 years and a whopping $999.99 for 5 years. Additionally, BB’s Geek Squad’s price of their wall mounting service is $249.99 for this TV.

So beyond just the obvious cost savings of purchasing the 65x900b through Sony, can someone please provide any advice, recommendations, and/or responses to the following questions:

1) How is the delivery service of Sony for large TVs like this compared to BB’s Geek Squad?
2) Has anyone ever had a Sony TV recently wall mounted through Sony and/or professionally calibrated through them? If so, how was your experience, since I am assuming that more than likely the delivery, wall mount installation, and calibration service men are sub-contracted out by Sony for my location (seeing that I do not have a Sony store near me any longer after the Sony store closings)?
3) Given the high prices of BB’s extended warranties on the 65x900b as compared to Sony, are there differences, and/or pros and cons in coverage? If so, can you please explain?

Thank you for any information, recommendation, and/or past experiences that you are willing to share. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
I would also deal with Sony. I have read many places on these forums where Sony upgraded people to the newest set. Sony will be around in three years, BB might not be.
Carlos_E's Avatar Carlos_E 09:07 AM 07-11-2014
Quote:
I have the sub and I think it makes a huge difference. It's not boomy bass that will hit your chest. But it does a great job filling out the bottom end.
DPAsghar's Avatar DPAsghar 09:10 AM 07-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
I have the sub and I think it makes a huge difference. It's not boomy bass that will hit your chest. But it does a great job filling out the bottom end.
Thanks Carlos, i think I may try it out then. I have my TV mounted on the wall and it seemed to be little boomier when i heard it in the store, no doubt because of the mounting and while I don't want something to shake my bedroom walls, i do want to do exactly what you just explained!

Carlos_E's Avatar Carlos_E 09:14 AM 07-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfersd View Post
Okay... This is really starting to get on my nerves and I can't bite my tongue anymore! I currently have a XBR-55X900B that was a direct Sony replacement for my XBR-55X900A.

Every night, multiple times, the TV will reboot itself. It doesn't matter if I'm on HDMI1 (connected at a resolution of 1080p) or watching Netflix using the on-board application built into the TV.

I'm running Software Version PKG2.187AAA.

I've run the self diagnosis, it's fine, networking setup is fine (wired connection).

I've had this TV for a little under 2 months now. The 2013 model I had for 2 month as well. I am wondering if it's time I got away from Sony as this should not be happening. I'm getting close to loading up the TV and driving down to the Sony Building that is right down the road and putting it in a box full of lemons.

What gives!?!
Constant rebooting could be a power issue. Something is obviously wrong. I would definitely ask for a replacement. Considering it is your 3rd replacement push them to replace it with a 65" "for your troubles."
Bassplayer6's Avatar Bassplayer6 09:16 AM 07-11-2014
Quote:
I would also deal with Sony. I have read many places on these forums where Sony upgraded people to the newest set. Sony will be around in three years, BB might not be.
The main difference is that BB covers dead pixels and they usually let you get a different tv and/or tv brand if yours is broken.
Carlos_E's Avatar Carlos_E 09:21 AM 07-11-2014
Quote:
Thanks Carlos, i think I may try it out then. I have my TV mounted on the wall and it seemed to be little boomier when i heard it in the store, no doubt because of the mounting and while I don't want something to shake my bedroom walls, i do want to do exactly what you just explained!

There are wireless subs with bigger bass but I live in a building. The bass from the Sony is big enough that I sometimes have to watch how loud I turn up the TV so that I don't annoy the neighbors.

The sub sounds great with films and sounds like a full audio system with music. The sub comes in Black and White.

http://store.sony.com/sony-wireless-...lorCode=000000

http://store.sony.com/sony-wireless-...t=pfm%3Dsearch
UdoG's Avatar UdoG 10:47 AM 07-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricef View Post
Just got word my 79" will be here tomorrow!!!
Any news ?
Aldonator 11:16 AM 07-11-2014
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the responses so far! From what it seems, I will go through Sony for the purchasing, delivery and wall mounting of the TV. That said though, has anyone had a TV wall-mounted by Sony/sub-contracted guys? What was your experience like if so? I'm just curious as I'm pretty nervous of who might show up to do these services since I'm paying quite a pretty penny for this XBR-65x900b. Also, has anyone experienced Sony not sending 2 or more guys for this type of delivery and setup? I only wonder about this as well since the TV is so large and heavy (approx. 102 lbs.)....

Also, if you guys would like and depending on how the calibration service goes, I'll post the Sony professional calibration settings on here. However, keep in mind that every person's room and amount of light coming in is different.
mauricef's Avatar mauricef 11:25 AM 07-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by UdoG View Post
Any news ?
Later this afternoon. Stay tuned.
Dat Nguyen's Avatar Dat Nguyen 12:10 PM 07-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranster View Post
Am not sure where you seeing the price drop, might be from our vendor here, but everywhere I google, it still @ $4,999.98. I assume you from the U.S. because U.S.A is the only place that got Black Friday. Correct me if I am wrong.
tubetwister's Avatar tubetwister 12:14 PM 07-11-2014
Mike Hodge wrote,

"My Fiance feels the one I got is much too large for our wall unit "

re tubetwister
Have your Fianc'e stand in front of the TV tell her to close her eyes briefly then when she opens
them again ask her "What do you see ... my new TV right ? .........you like yes ? .... know what I mean?"
Sometimes you have to stand your ground and take a firm position wit them and remind them who is da boss dawg

PS if you have a large panel these days without issues that's the one you wanna keep !
Vegas oled's Avatar Vegas oled 12:16 PM 07-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Nguyen View Post
Am not sure where you seeing the price drop, might be from our vendor here, but everywhere I google, it still @ $4,999.98. I assume you from the U.S. because U.S.A is the only place that got Black Friday. Correct me if I am wrong.
A small local dealer has a sale for $4499.00 which I had price matched and a refund of $500.

Black Friday never has much of a bargain on the high end sets. This is a very heavy fraigile set, there is no way I would mail order from anyone but Sony.
tubetwister's Avatar tubetwister 12:19 PM 07-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by UdoG View Post
Any news ?
I think Cnet said the 79'er was brightest of all the Sonys maybe brightest of all the LCD cool congrats
Mattopotamus's Avatar Mattopotamus 12:31 PM 07-11-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Nguyen View Post
Forum sponsor has it for $4200 delivered.
First ... 106  107  108 109  110  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop