"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-55X900B / XBR-65X900B / XBR-79X900B Thread - Page 130 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 663Likes

Old 07-26-2014, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I agree with Vegas. That is more than normal, but every 900a/b I have seen has some banding with the right content.

I agree also. My 79" may show close to that amount of banding (but less) on the absolute worst content (panning of cloudy sky maybe).
It looks like you're watching one of the 4K Youtube clips. You should not have that kind of banding on that content imo.
My 4k picture is pristine. -and so should yours.

Having old friends coming over any minute - put tv off so they can stare at the big, black beauty before I fire it up.

I love showing someone 4K for the first time. It's not an ego thing. It's like sharing a great bottle of wine...

Ron
Ken Ross, timc1475 and Janibrewski like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2014, 02:12 PM

Got e-mail from Amazon that my X10 is scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday.
I do love my family, but great/fun electronics come pretty close.
Janibrewski likes this.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by swwang View Post
I don't quite understand all the negativities here. I am a happy owner of a 79" XBR-79X900B.
It replaced a calibrated Elite PRO70X5FD which developed a dark patch near the center of the screen and I worked a deal with BestBuy via extended warranty. Anyway, the Elite was a great TV and I know what "inky black" means. I was debating whether to get the 65X950B, but once you get used to 70" you just can't go smaller so 79" was it, ordered it sight unseen...

The settings of 79X900B out of the box were pretty good when checked against the "Digital Video Essentials" DVD. (you see, I am old school...)
After a week of tweaking I have settled on the following for now and perhaps get a professional calibration later. Instead of turning off the Eco light sensor I chose to keep it on and tweak from there to minimize the amount of changes from the factory default.

Preferences
Eco
Light Sensor: On

Picture mode: Custom
Backlight: 8 (was 7)
Picture: Max (was 90)
Motionflow: Standard (was Off, tried Clear but decided to go Standard)
Advanced settings
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Low (was Off)
LED DynamicControl: Low (was Off)

The main sources are Verizon FiOS STB, OPPO BDP-95, Apple TV, all hooked through an Integra DHC80.3 A/V controller. I let the TV do all the up conversion even though the Integra has 4K upscaling. This is something to play with later.

I have a FMPX10 on order, can't wait to enjoy 4K to the fullest.

I was actually happy with the 3D, watched Avatar on 3D and thought it was better than the Elite (active 3D).

In the end it will be personal preferences and as long as you know the limitation of current technology, like Ron, I am happy with this set. The 4K clips from YouTub were amazing.

Scott
A friend just purchased the 79" and every time they turn off the TV the picture settings reset and go from Custom to Vivid and the illumination LED goes from off to off to demo. Many preferences also change to default regardless of the source. Any feedback there? It is not in Shop mode. There is a fast popup occasionally upon power up that says to prevent settings from being reset on power up, update settings. We can't find this option anywhere and Locking settings doesn't work. Super annoying.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked: 1662
Mike, I don't know the answer, which is probably not difficult, but how does his picture look when adjusted?
Old 07-26-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hodge View Post
A friend just purchased the 79" and every time they turn off the TV the picture settings reset and go from Custom to Vivid and the illumination LED goes from off to off to demo. Many preferences also change to default regardless of the source. Any feedback there? It is not in Shop mode. There is a fast popup occasionally upon power up that says to prevent settings from being reset on power up, update settings. We can't find this option anywhere and Locking settings doesn't work. Super annoying.
Has he done a complete factory reset? That would be my suggestion.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
I agree with Vegas. That is more than normal, but every 900a/b I have seen has some banding with the right content.
They all have it but most are so Minor it is not an issue. I don't consider any typical issue with the 900B a deal breaker, the 65" would be on my top 3 of best displays I have ever watched. I would pick it over any plasma.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Mike,
You can try the procedure below:
Perform a factory reset with procedure below.

Press and hold the up arrow button on the remote control. Make sure the remote control is pointed towards the front and centre of the TV.
While holding the up arrow button, press and release the Power on button on the side of the TV. Reset will appear momentarily on the lower left hand corner of the TV.
Release the up arrow button on the remote control and wait for the TV to reset.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Scott, this is the kind of comparison I'd love to hear. I've got the 60" version of the Sharp Elite, so I'd love to hear your comparison regarding overall PQ between your 70" and the Sony as well as how it fares in dark room viewing.

Congrats on your new display!
Thanks, I am quite pleased with the fact that the black level is comparable to the Elite based on my current settings. You might notice the Elite is better at trailers with white text on black. But in typical viewing I don't see much difference. The Sony has better color, the picture has better detail after up converting. So all in all I am very happy with the result. Black isn't everything you know. Plus you have the extra 9" and 4K !
I don't have a totally blackened theater room, I prefer some level of light in my viewing room. The Sony has good uniformity, the Elite did not; Sony has just barely noticeable clouding at the upper right corner on this particular panel which is completely unnoticeable in normal viewing. Sony did a great job in local dimming using side lights. I have a side lit local dimming 60" Samsung in the bedroom that has noticeable clouding where the LEDs are over the entire display on black background.

Scott
Ken Ross and RonB63 like this.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Has he done a complete factory reset? That would be my suggestion.
I will be there in a few hours so I will spend a few hours with it and reply back. It is above a fireplace and 3D looks good straight on but not so good sitting on the couch looking up. Fish in a 3d aquarium bluray sort of had an outline and shadows looking up but went away when you stand up and look straight on. Its on a Chief mount with adapters and tilted down.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Can't help you here, my set does not have that behavior, the settings remain the way I changed it.
I wonder if there is a "demo" mode. but I am pretty sure I've gone through all the user settable items.
A factory Reset might be a good first step as suggested elsewhere.

Scott
Old 07-26-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
I had the 70 inch elite as well and I thought the 3d showed more crosstalk then any of my other 3d tv's. The nice thing about the elite was the 3d was bright. Going to passive must me a nice change and also a moving up to a 79 incher. How do the blacks look on the 79 to you vs the elite? Do you ever watch tv in the dark?
The Sony 3D was brighter, sharper and it was a "new" experience for me. I don't watch too many 3D movies and it is not a high priority for me. 4K and a larger display were the key factors. As stated elsewhere I don't have a totally dark theater room, but the blacks looks comparable to the Elite after my settings. For a latest generation side lit local dimming panel this is excellent and impressive in my opinion.

Scott
Old 07-26-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassplayer6 View Post
Mike,
You can try the procedure below:
Perform a factory reset with procedure below.

Press and hold the up arrow button on the remote control. Make sure the remote control is pointed towards the front and centre of the TV.
While holding the up arrow button, press and release the Power on button on the side of the TV. Reset will appear momentarily on the lower left hand corner of the TV.
Release the up arrow button on the remote control and wait for the TV to reset.
This did the trick. Attached is the exact message we couldn't figure out how to turn on or off in settings. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-26 20.05.05.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	337.5 KB
ID:	181866  
Old 07-26-2014, 09:50 PM

Some 79" photos of setup. More to come later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140725_183706.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	181898   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140725_124520.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	181906   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140725_124352.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	181914   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140725_124545.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	181922   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140725_124335.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	181930  

Old 07-27-2014, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
You are welcome. I lived in Bussum for a year in the mid 70's and saw someone came from there and/or Naarden. I still have friends in Huizen, all near Hilversum. Very, very sad, especially as you point out...for the children.

Thanks for the Pot Player tip. I gather then that your Sony grays out its picture settings (PC via HDMI) also, then? (What happens when you open the TV's picture setting, all available or many not?)

I think my chip will handle 4K, but have to find out. I have no video card as such, but rather Intel HD graphics 2000 integrated chip.
No..I have all but a few (like mpeg video settings) working on the tv..also advanced settings,lots of options there.
Then I have the graphics card software with options like colorspace and many resolution settings,lots of options there also.
On top of all that comes the player with a zillion of settings/options,it all works together or apart..whatever wished for..
Are you working with a lappys integrated chip,or a dedicated video desktop?
That can make all the difference..take it from me.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:33 AM

I want to ask the other B79 owners here:
Does your panel has lightbleeding problems...yes or no?
Because if no one has it..I'm the only one
Please give me an answer.
Thank you.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan dijkgraaff View Post
When playing files from PC ..I use POT PLAYER to do all settings on the screen,it gives me full control over nearly anything..the player handles 4k just fine.
Ofcourse you need a good graphics card to spit out 4k..I use Nividia GTX 780 for that with great results.
Google POT PLAYER ( DAUM ) and install it ( it's free )..then you'll have full control without touching the screen at all..

Thank you for your kindness regarding my countrymen..a sad story,especially for the children involved.
They did not book the plain,but only followed the will of their parents,I feel for them the most.
Let God bless them all.
Thanks for the heads up about DAUM POT PLAYER
Most of the usual suspect geek sites like it am dowloading from Daum.com right now to add to my collection of the usual windows video players and the defacto default open source play almost anything VLC player should fit in well here

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Old 07-27-2014, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
Because Sony doesn't make it's own panels and the panel they could source from a third party in that size was and IPS from LG. I don't know if it's the same panel as the 850B but it could be -- good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus
Because Sony doesn't make it's own panels and the panel they could source from a third party in that size was and IPS from LG. I don't know if it's the same panel as the 850B but it could be -- good question.
Probably LGD with Sony (probably Foxconn fabricated /installed )Triluminous back lights the 79'er should be LGD also IIRC LGD is only 79" panel around
not to mention Sony has been spreading the love to LGD on a lot of the top dog sets latley .
frapso likes this.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-27-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Thanks for the heads up about DAUM POT PLAYER
Most of the usual suspect geek sites like it am dowloading from Daum.com right now to add to my collection of the usual windows video players and the defacto default open source play almost anything VLC player should fit in well here
I'm sure you'll enjoy the POT.
For me it was the only player capable of handling 4k well,I used VLC and MPC for years but they could'nt handle 4k without lag/stutter and freeze.
As far as options and settings are concerned that player blows everything else out of the water.
Sheers.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkle,
I'm wondering if US broadcasters will also broadcast 10-bit color, will all of the early adopters want 10-bit panels this time next year? Will it be that big of a difference vs 8-bit? HEVC H.265 supports 10-bit and the similar LG model is 10-bit so could the 79" be compatible in the future? Would that be firmware on this model?
No such thing as 8 bit color 4K UHD broadcast . /10 bit 4K HD lite will probably result in many re transmission cases eg, CATV/SAT (whenever they get around to it anyway) see rec .709 and rec .2020 and current ATSC and HD Lite All should answer many questions many may have .
A lot of us here have read those or things similar ,your turn in the barrel now

Keep in mind OP linked article is only talking about 8 bit HEVC vs 10bit HEVC re transmission + STB (in a basic manner ) not panel display color bitrate depth or display modes or terrestrial OTA broadcast
but more likley HEVC 4K UHD lite
Not to mention as far as USA goes much of that article *may be speculative *
Stay tuned to AVS !

They can run 8 bit panel in 10 bit overdrive (8 bit [+high FRC ] ) , panel should display 10 bit color just fine , Advantage for native 10 bit panel would ofc be less (sometimes seemingly aimless) dithering under low birate /no signal and smoother color gradient+ eg,less color banding ..

Sony is using 6 bit [+high FRC ] (8 bit overdrive display mode ) panels in all the 2014 W600b and maybe *some others and reportedly in 2014 70W850B aslo

I have a 2013 40" R4 Sony Bravia like that with Sansung S-PVA4
6 bit [+high FRC panel ] best in class picture better than 2014
same size and some bigger Vizeo FALD .

10 bit 4K panels *may be resrved *for premuim 4K sets depending on mfr.

In any event x bit +[high FRC ]panels can otherwise look very good as good as higher bit panels often .
especially with low blacks/high contrast in all but a few cases eg, *some 10 maybe 12 bit bit Sony 9 / 9.5 x

** note there are are currently 8 bit + high[FRC] UHD 4K panels entering production alongside the usual 10 bit UHD panels .**

Here are the black/contrast on (2013 Sony R4 and 2014 W600B with
6 bit + [high FRC] Samsung S-PVA4 Panels .

Also 2014 W800/850B + 950B presumably 8 or (some) 10 bit panels .

5 Sony black level + contrast Comparison

http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/sony

2013 Sony R450A Black: 0.022 cd/m2 Contrast: 4750 : 1 Samsung SPVA

2014 Sony W600B Black: 0.026 cd/m2 Contrast: 3500 : 1 Samsing SPVA

2014 Sony W800B Black: 0.020 cd/m2 Contrast: 5260 : 1 AUO AMVA5

2014 Sony W850B Black: 0.026 cd/m2 Contrast: 4273 : probably AUO AMVA *panel mfr/type/spec may vary by size

2014 Sony W950B Black: 0.111 cd/m2 Contrast: 942 : 1 >>>> LGD IPS

Notes : AUO AMVA and Samsung SPVA are both VA panels LGD are S-IPS

AUO AMVA 3D (usually active *can be passive also )

All 3D Samsung are active .

All 3D LGD are passive .
timc1475 likes this.

Last edited by tubetwister; 07-27-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Thank you.
Light bleeding....do you mean for example that the black bars are changing the black due to content of the picture........yes I saw this with three 79 inch sonys. And it is more bleeding as on the new samsung 85hu8550.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you.

My 79" has pretty mild lightbleeding (using above description) - it's there, but not an issue for me since I don't feel it is distracting. Of course, what does not bother me may bother someone else.
If I balance the pros and cons of my picture performance, I am very happy. All panels and people are different, so you need to decide if it satisfies you.
It's difficult to quantify "degrees of lightbleeding" but I will cast my vote and say that mine is mild.
Ron
Old 07-27-2014, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
No..I have all but a few (like mpeg video settings) working on the tv..also advanced settings,lots of options there.
Then I have the graphics card software with options like colorspace and many resolution settings,lots of options there also.
On top of all that comes the player with a zillion of settings/options,it all works together or apart..whatever wished for..
Are you working with a lappys integrated chip,or a dedicated video desktop?
That can make all the difference..take it from me.

This is a stand alone HTPC. Many thanks for coming back with your info on available settings in the TV when PC is plugged into HDMI!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I got some of my usb sticks with a mix of 4k and HD clips to Best Buy to decide if I was going to give the Samsung 78hu9000 a shot seen as my 79x900b was deemed defective.
After spending about an hour and gone through also chapter 18 of Life of PI 3D (fast action/moving scenes), i decided to exchange for another 79.
1) 3d was very good in showing the action on the screen (flying fish and panning). All was very well defined with only mild flickering and crosstalk
2) Blue and light color background were very clear, no apparent stripes as seen on my 79
3) Curve did not bother me nor added anything to the experience. In some instances it created distracting distorted reflections
4) image was well detailed and clean

Ultimately what made me decide to get another 79 was the somewhat "photoshop" look of the Samsung.
Everything being played seemed overdone and computerized. I don't know if the panel cover used helped drive that look as it looks it is different than the one on the Samsung 75hu8550 that i have returned due to multiple defects.
The next one will be delivered only in a couple of weeks and we will open the box and take a quick look with the geek squad folks to make sure it is free of any major issues as the work go get the huge box to the second floor of the house is not something that i want go to through on a regular basis.

Andrew
Old 07-27-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I will be there in a few hours so I will spend a few hours with it and reply back. It is above a fireplace and 3D looks good straight on but not so good sitting on the couch looking up. Fish in a 3d aquarium bluray sort of had an outline and shadows looking up but went away when you stand up and look straight on. Its on a Chief mount with adapters and tilted down.
3D on the 79" looked almost like you were watching 3D without glasses until the TV was tilted even further down. You have to watch it straight on. Horizontally it is great from any side of the room. The credits lines of texts were almost doubled before tilting even further. The tilt mount tilts 12 degrees plus an adapter and it is just barely enough. Another couple degrees and it would be perfect. The bottom of the back of the TV is now touching the wall so it wont go further.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Question

I'm thinking of getting the 55x900b. With the $700 off I would have to pay the $1000 difference in the prices between the 55x850b and the 55x900b. I have already contacted Crutchfield(place of purchase)and they told me it would be ok. I'd get full credit for the 850b($2299.99)and the extra $1000 would get me the 900b(which is the one I originally wanted).

Now here is my question.
Is it worth the extra $1k or should I stick with what I already have and save the $1k for other toys(maybe a 4k media player).

BTW, I'm happy with the 850b.

Bob (Retired)

Dish VIP-211K
Sony BDP-S6200
Old 07-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Some 79" photos of setup. More to come later.
Nice equipment. Your install seems high. It looks like you have it angled forward/down a bit? I would think having it installed so high you would be watching off angle and it would throw off the color.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by x21inc View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have been trying to sell my 850a as that is the only criteria allowed by the wife before getting the 900b. Boy has it been a hard sale. I haven't gotten no bites at all and its driving me crazy that i cant get my hands on the 900b yet
I'd try and keep both.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 33
the big boy TVs have made to BigD...
Starpower in addison - 79-900b and the 85-950b. plus 78-u9000 and LGs 79..
BB park lane - 79-900b
BB plano - 79-900b and 85-8550

79-990b - Disappointed in the blacks. at starpower, i stood the same distance between 79 and 65-900b. both had pics with black bars and i could see a difference in the blacks. at plano bb, had the 79 with a 950 and 850. when all 3 went to black screen, the 79 looked like the 850. 950, of course, why blacker..
Old 07-27-2014, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda steffen View Post
Light bleeding....do you mean for example that the black bars are changing the black due to content of the picture........yes I saw this with three 79 inch sonys. And it is more bleeding as on the new samsung 85hu8550.
I was considering 79x900b, but after seeing its poor blacks and light bleed on BB display, I started thinking maybe I should pay more and get the 85hu8550 instead. You are saying that one also has light bleed/bad blacks?
Old 07-27-2014, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
All three Sony had light bleed. With light bleed I mean that the black bars is changing the black due to the picture of the Movie. Goes to more grey and like a light in the back. Hope you understand what I mean.

And as I said in the Samsung Thread, my Money was parked for the Sony......but now I ordered the 85 Samsung. I have to say that as a sony fan..........and now I go with my very First Samsung in my live.

The 85 black level is visible darker as the 79er Sony. I would say, it is as dark as the 65 inch sony 900 b, the 79 Sony is dark grey, not black.