"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-55X900B / XBR-65X900B / XBR-79X900B Thread - Page 133 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 663Likes

post #3961 of 4885 Old 07-29-2014, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Did you list on E-Bay for pickup and cash only ? Craigslist ?
i listed on craigslist. cash or paypal. I really cant do ebay because of the hassle with shipping a tv that big. i listed on here too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 4885 Old 07-29-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by x21inc View Post
i listed on craigslist. cash or paypal. I really cant do ebay because of the hassle with shipping a tv that big. i listed on here too
You can place on ebay for local purchase only, this should get you a larger pool of buyers.

Good luck
post #3963 of 4885 Old 07-29-2014, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
You can place on ebay for local purchase only, this should get you a larger pool of buyers.

Good luck
That's how I sold my W900 in less than a week.
aoktulsa likes this.
post #3964 of 4885 Old 07-30-2014, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatti-man View Post
The speakers kill this for me. Who are these people who spend thousands on televisions and have no surround sound systems?
Or people like myself that are knocking on the 50+ year old range and do not care to have my walls or windows rattled anymore. I have the "A" version of this TV and its awesome. I still have my 5.1 surround sound system hooked up but I rarely use it anymore. This is where the TV's built-in speakers come in very handy. They aren't nowhere near surround sound quality but they are far better than the junk speakers that come in most flat panel displays.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #3965 of 4885 Old 07-30-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziegn View Post
Or people like myself that are knocking on the 50+ year old range and do not care to have my walls or windows rattled anymore. I have the "A" version of this TV and its awesome. I still have my 5.1 surround sound system hooked up but I rarely use it anymore. This is where the TV's built-in speakers come in very handy. They aren't nowhere near surround sound quality but they are far better than the junk speakers that come in most flat panel displays.
I agree with this. This set is in my living room, not a dedicated theater room. I typically use a soundbar and wireless sub, but if I can get away with just the built in speakers that is a huge plus. The A series is literally the only TV I could get away with doing that on.
post #3966 of 4885 Old 07-30-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by x21inc View Post
NO PAYAPAL ON PICKED UP ITEMS !! PERIOD . They could charge you back saying they never picked up item and no matter what type of proof you have you will loose ! Cash only !

E-Bay has an option for pickup only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
No flat OLED from LG yet .................. bummer pretty knarley 65" though !
The 55EA8800 is Flat .

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 07-30-2014 at 07:55 AM.
post #3967 of 4885 Old 07-30-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If one buys from Sony online can you return the TV directly to a local Sony store instead of shipping it back? I don't want to spend another 3 weeks waiting for the pickup, shipping/receiving, waiting for the refund to post and only then re-ordering and waiting for delivery.

NM, looks like yes, according to their site.

But wait, it get's better, our only Sony store in Seattle closed 3 months ago. Great!

Last edited by Wraith2; 07-30-2014 at 09:39 AM.
post #3968 of 4885 Old 07-30-2014, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Update: I've had the 65 900B for nearly a week now and I have to say it's a huge improvement over the 900A. The netflix issue I was having was fixed by using wired connection instead of wifi.

Does anyone mind sharing their picture quality calibration settings? I'm currently on stock configuration aside from raising backlight to 7.
Vegas oled likes this.
post #3969 of 4885 Old 07-30-2014, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I just ordered this set - or at least what I assume is the same set, the store had it listed in their systems as "KD65X9005B". What's up with the 5? If I go to Sony's Norwegian site it says X9000B.

EDIT: Actually it's listed as "KD65X9005BBAE", but all the other Norwegian online stores also has it listed like that. There's no way this is the 950B right? It has to be the 900B?

Last edited by cstromme; 07-30-2014 at 01:16 PM.
post #3970 of 4885 Old 07-30-2014, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yeah I'm from Norway, it's the same tv. X9005B is the name in Europe. Where did you buy it from ?
post #3971 of 4885 Old 07-30-2014, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsteg View Post
Does anyone mind sharing their picture quality calibration settings? I'm currently on stock configuration aside from raising backlight to 7.

I also got a 65X900B last Sunday in stock configuration because I have not had time to adjust the settings. The TV actually looks great in the stock settings and I seemed to have gotten a good panel with no major flaws, knock on wood. Anyway, the following are the settings from Katzmaier's Cnet calibration which I plan on using:

Calibration Settings:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...ateThreadPopup

http://www.scribd.com/doc/231134803/...bration-report

Cnet TV Review:
http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-xbr-65x900b/

Last edited by RoubaixPro; 07-30-2014 at 01:36 PM.
post #3972 of 4885 Old 07-30-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeuz View Post
Yeah I'm from Norway, it's the same tv. X9005B is the name in Europe. Where did you buy it from ?
Ordered it from a local Expert store. Got it for 38,000 kr.

Anybody hung the 65" on the wall? Does it til upwards due to the wedge? Any gotchas?

Last edited by cstromme; 07-30-2014 at 04:20 PM.
post #3973 of 4885 Old 07-30-2014, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsteg View Post
Update: I've had the 65 900B for nearly a week now and I have to say it's a huge improvement over the 900A. The netflix issue I was having was fixed by using wired connection instead of wifi.

If you post this kind of statement, please qualify it with some specific aspects you feel are much improved, so we A owners can know what we're missing. But I have found it is hard to directly compare 2 sets unless you have them both side by side.
post #3974 of 4885 Old 07-30-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottman View Post
If you post this kind of statement, please qualify it with some specific aspects you feel are much improved, so we A owners can know what we're missing. But I have found it is hard to directly compare 2 sets unless you have them both side by side.
I am by no means a pro nor do I pretend to be. The only info I can share is what I see with my two eyes.

I came from a XBR6 and jumped on the beachcamera deal for the 900A. When I received it, the picture quality was great but the TV set was dark in my opinion compared to my XBR6 and a friend's Samsung 8000 series. I even tried the calibration settings listed on the 900A thread but it made things even darker for my taste.

A week or two later, I noticed that the 900B dropped in price so I made the exchange.

The 900B is so much brighter and the color pops more compared to the 900A, and this is with the standard settings. Also, having built-in netflix for 4K is a plus as well.

Another aspect that I enjoy most is the upscaling to 4k. Many of my cable channels look so much clearer on the B than it did on the A.
Janibrewski and johnnyp179 like this.
post #3975 of 4885 Old 07-31-2014, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The 55EA8800 is Flat .
Cool wich one do you like better @ 55" flat or curve ? thank for reply .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #3976 of 4885 Old 07-31-2014, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've finally seen the 79X900B in person.

Was very impressed. The store didn't have any 3D content so I'm arranging to see it again with 3D content (they literally just put it on display yesterday).

4k had amazing clarity. But what was good, was that the store assistant put on some normal broadcast content (BBC news in HD), this was shared across loads of TVs, so was somewhat degraded he said. What this really showed, was how the upscaling handled things (and more like the kind of content that will be on the TV when not watching films or Netflix). I was also impressed by it, and even looked at some SD, which obviously looked a lot worse, but still watchable.

I ensured I sat the distance I reckon I'll be sitting from the TV when/if I get it (2 metres, just under 7 feet), and the size seemed perfect.

I did notice the blacks weren't as dark as the 65X900B (they were sitting next to each other). However, it doesn't seem any worse than my NX720 (actually seems better, and CNET highly rated the NX720's black levels back in 2011 http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-bravia-kdl-55nx720/ - although they said 3D was appalling, and I like 3D, so that's why I'm keen to see what it's like on the 79X900B).

Once I've seen the 3D, I think I'll be getting this model if it's good.

For me, the set is going to be wall mounted above a low TV bench (32cm/12.5 inches), and I reckon the TV will be 12cm above that (so 17 inches off the ground). This is to ensure my eye level is right in the middle. I'm hoping the 3D will do well at this height as the vertical angle will be straight on.

Did anyone note improvements with 3D quality when ensuring the vertical angle is straight on?

Last edited by Crimsoncleaver; 07-31-2014 at 01:00 AM.
post #3977 of 4885 Old 07-31-2014, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsoncleaver View Post

Was very impressed. The store didn't have any 3D content so I'm arranging to see it again with 3D content (they literally just put it on display yesterday).

4k had amazing clarity. But what was good, was that the store assistant put on some normal broadcast content (BBC news in HD), this was shared across loads of TVs, so was somewhat degraded he said. What this really showed, was how the upscaling handled things (and more like the kind of content that will be on the TV when not watching films or Netflix). I was also impressed by it, and even looked at some SD, which obviously looked a lot worse, but still watchable.

I ensured I sat the distance I reckon I'll be sitting from the TV when/if I get it (2 metres, just under 7 feet), and the size seemed perfect.

I did notice the blacks weren't as dark as the 65X900B (they were sitting next to each other). However, it doesn't seem any worse than my NX720 (actually seems better, and CNET highly rated the NX720's black levels back in 2011 http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-bravia-kdl-55nx720/ - although they said 3D was appalling, and I like 3D, so that's why I'm keen to see what it's like on the 79X900B).

For me, the set is going to be wall mounted above a low TV bench (32cm/12.5 inches), and I reckon the TV will be 12cm above that (so 17 inches off the ground). This is to ensure my eye level is right in the middle. I'm hoping the 3D will do well at this height as the vertical angle will be straight on.

Did anyone note improvements with 3D quality when ensuring the vertical angle is straight on?
You can see less cross talk/ghosting, but it seems the angle is very narrow, maybe 5 deg up/down.
My main problem was fast action scenes, where it seemed the TV/panel/motion could not keep up with and created a shimmering effect on anything that was moving on the screen.
post #3978 of 4885 Old 07-31-2014, 10:12 AM

Liked: 64
Well it's been 1 week since I brought home my 65" X900B. I really didn't get to set it up etc until the day after I brought it home, but since then I have been in the settings almost everyday getting a feel for it and testing various things.

I have done 1 full calibration and it's ok...but I'm not happy with it as I know it can get better. Not saying it's bad at all as I have an avg Delta E of 1.1 on grayscale and color decoding is pretty spot on also with 1.2 avg error. I did find a few things setting wise that I need to account for and recalibrate.

So far It's growing on me. I don't have as much hate for the speakers as I thought I would. I almost don't even notice them now lol.

I also have to hand it to Sony on their color decoding. They are pretty damn accurate even out the box in cinema mode. With just a small adjustment to color it gets pretty close. I would love a CMS but for a display that doesn't have one they do it right.

I alo like how the common input / this input only work with settings

The app selection is vast but in all honesty most of them are crap. Only a few things for myself personally that are worth a look. The UI is pretty snappy. It does have a small lag at various points but overall pretty smooth. Though there are some quirks but nothing deal breaking. Ex. On the movies page if you scroll over to Crackle from Video unlimted and back it skips the first set of moves on Crackle when you are scrolling back because it appears that the page is set in a grid. So the first set of movies are in it's own grid and if you try to scroll back to video unlimited it skips that first set. The bug that Karek found. (which I'm going to the sony store today to show them and to pick up a media player) Small stuff like that.

On my panel it doesn't appear to have any uniformity issues which is a good. No dead pixels from what I can tell.

The display itself is fairly hefty mainly due to the speakers but its funny it weighs less then my VT30, more then the ZT60 though.

I do have some backlight bleeding though which actually became more apparent after calibration which prompted me to look more into how some of the settings interact with one another which made me realize the few things I need to adjust and re calibrate. Some may have noticed that I previously mentioned the flashing blacks on various scenes. I think I have it figured out. Again another reason to recalibrate. After calibration it did get much better but still there. I should be able to dial it in soon.

Overall I'm actually starting to be pretty happy with it. Once I get it dialed in I'm sure I will love it even more.

I do have a question for other owners though. For anyone that is experiencing flashing blacks does it happen with all sources or any one specific source? I noticed that it happens for me only on cable TV (Uverse HD DVR) doesn't happen on bluray, and I have everything being filtered through a Pioneer Elite SC35. I'm pretty sure I have narrowed down the settings that cause it, as it didn't happen during blu ray playback but Im just curious as I almost have a feeling that it will not go away from cable. I hope I'm wrong though.

Also any recommendations on sites to download some 4K content? I went to demo-uhd3d.com and got some from there though would love to see some others as well.

Once I dial in my calibration I will give more detailed impressions with calibration report and pictures etc.

Oh and anyone that says they cannot tell the difference between 4K and 1080P based off those recommended distance charts please slap them in the face...hard...so so hard. It is so apparent it's almost insulting that those charts are even out there. lol

LivingRoom: XBR-65X900B / Oppo BDP103D / Yamaha RX-A2040 / REL T7 / HDP2500 / Def Tech Mythos Ones x 4, Eight, 2x Gem XL / PS4 / Xbox One / Wii U
Bedroom: 65ZT60 / Oppo BDP93 / Apple TV / PS3
Office: KRP-500M / Xbox 360
post #3979 of 4885 Old 07-31-2014, 11:34 AM

Can anyone tell me what's the best way to check for dead pixels? From what I can tell, I believe I have none but I'd like to check before my return period is up.
post #3980 of 4885 Old 07-31-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassplayer6 View Post
You can see less cross talk/ghosting, but it seems the angle is very narrow, maybe 5 deg up/down.
My main problem was fast action scenes, where it seemed the TV/panel/motion could not keep up with and created a shimmering effect on anything that was moving on the screen.
Just looking at the manual here:
http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/14HJ2101...assive_4k.html

It says you should sit at least 3 times the height of the screen away for 3D.

Looking at displaywars, the screen is 38.5 inches high, so that's 9feet 7inches (3m approx). That's further than I planned on sitting for the TV...
post #3981 of 4885 Old 07-31-2014, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Yes, there is a significant improvement watching 3D straight on vs at an angle. Movie credits for example are almost doubled if you view it from a low couch with the 79" above a 4 foot fireplace. You need to tilt the mount almost 18 degrees downward to see it clearly from the couch but ideally you want this set straight on for 3D. Off angle for normal content was great and we couldn't see any real differences (Some say you lose colors with IPS off angle but in this scenario, we could not tell). You won't notice the black levels until you get the set home. No matter what settings we tried, we could never get black blacks. Last night we tried Eco settings on High with the backlight set to about 3 and that was the best we could get at night (I will try to send all of the settings later). Way better than Eco set to low. That may be too dark for daytime viewing but you can always adjust it for day and night. We watched a 4K film called El Dorado on Sony's new 4K media player. There is a scene where the woman is driving down a dark street and she is passing neon signs. The signs look awesome but the dark skies are grey, not black. Same goes for LA nights video. Upscaling of 1080i content using an OTA antenna is amazing and from 7 feet away, it looks 4K. You will also notice the grey bars when viewing a Blu-Ray that is not full screen. The image quality of this set is awesome and for most content you won't notice the blacks but in dark scenes, you are like "Ouch, I better show this movie to friends in the day time with all of the lights on". It is an amazing TV but next to the X950B, there really is no comparison. I also think many of the menus such as Netflix etc should be shown on a colored background instead of no image or black. That is probably where you will most notice any uniformity, light bleed etc. Yes this set has some light bleed. About a 4 inch strip on the lower left side on this set and also the top right corner. It is hardly noticeable with the right settings or in the day and not noticeable with normal content. PS4 games are awesome as well. I tried the Sniper III game in 3D, totally awesome in the dark.
Janibrewski likes this.
post #3982 of 4885 Old 07-31-2014, 01:06 PM

Anyone got pictures of the 79" playing dark content, in a dark environment?
post #3983 of 4885 Old 07-31-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Anyone got pictures of the 79" playing dark content, in a dark environment?
Keep in mind pics will always show the screen with much better blacks than in person due to camera exposing to the bright images, unless you over-expose or bracket and combine the shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_sm.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	190338  
Ken Ross likes this.
post #3984 of 4885 Old 07-31-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind pics will always show the screen with much better blacks than in person due to camera exposing to the bright images, unless you over-expose or bracket and combine the shots.
Thanks ever so much Bassplayer6, how are black bars with wider screen content?

I've not got a plasma, just the 46NX720, want to try and gauge if the blacks and bars are similar/worse, as I guess it would grate on me if they're worse. By no means are the black bars on my NX720 solid black when it's dark watching content, but using theatre mode - (button on my old Sony sound system that enables cinema 2), clear plus motion flow and a backlight of min, it's pretty good - I also enable the black corrector as well, which does lose a little detail.
post #3985 of 4885 Old 07-31-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks ever so much Bassplayer6, how are black bars with wider screen content?

I've not got a plasma, just the 46NX720, want to try and gauge if the blacks and bars are similar/worse, as I guess it would grate on me if they're worse. By no means are the black bars on my NX720 solid black when it's dark watching content, but using theatre mode - (button on my old Sony sound system that enables cinema 2), clear plus motion flow and a backlight of min, it's pretty good - I also enable the black corrector as well, which does lose a little detail.
Letter box are not fully black on a dark setting, but if you are not paying attention exclusively to them , they will not bother you.
post #3986 of 4885 Old 07-31-2014, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Letter box are not fully black on a dark setting, but if you are not paying attention exclusively to them , they will not bother you.
Great to hear - I've never in my life noticed the blackness of the black bars... until I started coming here.

I plan to bury my head right back in that sand when/if I buy the 79X900B.
post #3987 of 4885 Old 07-31-2014, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a question and was wondering if this is a good place to ask. Just ordered my 65X900B and a Rythmic LV12R servo sub. It is for my bedroom and want to use the speakers in the TV with the Sub for the audio. I currently have a sony HTCT150 3.1 soundbar but think the 900B internal speakers with this Rythmic sub will far outperform the Sony Sound Bar.

The Sony marketing info says "sub out" in numerous places but I can't seem to find any details on how to connect the sub to the tv to use the internal speakers as primary with sub for low end support. Any info from someone who has the tv would be most appreciated. Didn't want to do the Sony wireless sub as it will be pretty anemic compared to the 300WRMS 12" rythmic. I'm not blasting as it is my bedroom but want clean bass and good overall sound.

Thanks for any help! If I should post elsewhere, please let me know.

Cheers! (Looking forward to getting my 900B!)
Janibrewski and Aldonator like this.
post #3988 of 4885 Old 07-31-2014, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post

Good luck
Quoted to get your attention

Any thoughts on the LG OLED 4K 65 incher?

edit nevermind, im checking your comments in that thread

Last edited by everunman; 07-31-2014 at 10:34 PM.
post #3989 of 4885 Old 08-01-2014, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibrewski View Post
Great to hear - I've never in my life noticed the blackness of the black bars... until I started coming here.

I plan to bury my head right back in that sand when/if I buy the 79X900B.
Never gave blacks much though either till AVS doing ok with the sets I have now ones a newer Sammy plasma
and bedroom is a new Sony LED with a VA panel and real decent blacks other 4 around here arent bad just not as good as these 2 .

79x900B yea I think I would be able to make an accommodation for one of those ,now if only the checkbook could
Janibrewski likes this.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #3990 of 4885 Old 08-01-2014, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynedude View Post
I have a question and was wondering if this is a good place to ask. Just ordered my 65X900B and a Rythmic LV12R servo sub. It is for my bedroom and want to use the speakers in the TV with the Sub for the audio. I currently have a sony HTCT150 3.1 soundbar but think the 900B internal speakers with this Rythmic sub will far outperform the Sony Sound Bar.

The Sony marketing info says "sub out" in numerous places but I can't seem to find any details on how to connect the sub to the tv to use the internal speakers as primary with sub for low end support. Any info from someone who has the tv would be most appreciated. Didn't want to do the Sony wireless sub as it will be pretty anemic compared to the 300WRMS 12" rythmic. I'm not blasting as it is my bedroom but want clean bass and good overall sound.

Thanks for any help! If I should post elsewhere, please let me know.

Cheers! (Looking forward to getting my 900B!)
I think the Sony wireless sub is the only choice with the built in speakers. It uses both the headphone jack and USB to connect wirelessly.

While the built in speakers are good, I always find myself having to toggle the volume up and down based on the background noise and people talking. A good sound bar would serve you better in that aspect.
Wraith2 likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page