"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-55X900B / XBR-65X900B / XBR-79X900B Thread - Page 134 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 821Likes
post #3991 of 6342 Old 07-31-2014, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassplayer6 View Post
Letter box are not fully black on a dark setting, but if you are not paying attention exclusively to them , they will not bother you.
Great to hear - I've never in my life noticed the blackness of the black bars... until I started coming here.

I plan to bury my head right back in that sand when/if I buy the 79X900B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 6342 Old 07-31-2014, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a question and was wondering if this is a good place to ask. Just ordered my 65X900B and a Rythmic LV12R servo sub. It is for my bedroom and want to use the speakers in the TV with the Sub for the audio. I currently have a sony HTCT150 3.1 soundbar but think the 900B internal speakers with this Rythmic sub will far outperform the Sony Sound Bar.

The Sony marketing info says "sub out" in numerous places but I can't seem to find any details on how to connect the sub to the tv to use the internal speakers as primary with sub for low end support. Any info from someone who has the tv would be most appreciated. Didn't want to do the Sony wireless sub as it will be pretty anemic compared to the 300WRMS 12" rythmic. I'm not blasting as it is my bedroom but want clean bass and good overall sound.

Thanks for any help! If I should post elsewhere, please let me know.

Cheers! (Looking forward to getting my 900B!)
Janibrewski and Aldonator like this.
post #3993 of 6342 Old 07-31-2014, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post

Good luck
Quoted to get your attention

Any thoughts on the LG OLED 4K 65 incher?

edit nevermind, im checking your comments in that thread

Last edited by everunman; 07-31-2014 at 09:34 PM.
post #3994 of 6342 Old 08-01-2014, 02:36 AM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibrewski View Post
Great to hear - I've never in my life noticed the blackness of the black bars... until I started coming here.

I plan to bury my head right back in that sand when/if I buy the 79X900B.
Never gave blacks much though either till AVS doing ok with the sets I have now ones a newer Sammy plasma
and bedroom is a new Sony LED with a VA panel and real decent blacks other 4 around here arent bad just not as good as these 2 .

79x900B yea I think I would be able to make an accommodation for one of those ,now if only the checkbook could
Janibrewski likes this.
post #3995 of 6342 Old 08-01-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynedude View Post
I have a question and was wondering if this is a good place to ask. Just ordered my 65X900B and a Rythmic LV12R servo sub. It is for my bedroom and want to use the speakers in the TV with the Sub for the audio. I currently have a sony HTCT150 3.1 soundbar but think the 900B internal speakers with this Rythmic sub will far outperform the Sony Sound Bar.

The Sony marketing info says "sub out" in numerous places but I can't seem to find any details on how to connect the sub to the tv to use the internal speakers as primary with sub for low end support. Any info from someone who has the tv would be most appreciated. Didn't want to do the Sony wireless sub as it will be pretty anemic compared to the 300WRMS 12" rythmic. I'm not blasting as it is my bedroom but want clean bass and good overall sound.

Thanks for any help! If I should post elsewhere, please let me know.

Cheers! (Looking forward to getting my 900B!)
I think the Sony wireless sub is the only choice with the built in speakers. It uses both the headphone jack and USB to connect wirelessly.

While the built in speakers are good, I always find myself having to toggle the volume up and down based on the background noise and people talking. A good sound bar would serve you better in that aspect.
Wraith2 likes this.
post #3996 of 6342 Old 08-01-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by everunman View Post
Quoted to get your attention
Any thoughts on the LG OLED 4K 65 incher?
The best TV ever made.......period, end of discussion.
5x10 likes this.
post #3997 of 6342 Old 08-01-2014, 11:24 AM

Liked: 4
I have a few questions

1) I read a few pages back that after the tv update, netflix should be a white screen instead of white. Is that true because I still have a red screen when starting app.

2) Picture has been great on my set aside for two things: when the screen is black such as when switching input - I see two whitish clouds/blobs on the left side of TV. Only seen on that blk screen, never when watching something.

3) what I notice is that when a program shows previous clips, the picture doesn't look good. For example, ESPN, when the commentators are speaking live it looks awesome but when they show a clip of let's say yesterday's baseball game - picture doesn't look as great. Is that normal?

Same thing happens when I watched recorded programs from TiVo.

4) Last question is I've noticed most 900b owners have the backlight on the low end. I have mine set to 7, once again normal? Some have even said that backlight on 2 with the 900B is brighter than max on the A series which I find hard to belief seeing as I've had both.
post #3998 of 6342 Old 08-01-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3384 Post(s)
Liked: 3253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
You saw it?
post #3999 of 6342 Old 08-01-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I think the Sony wireless sub is the only choice with the built in speakers. It uses both the headphone jack and USB to connect wirelessly.

While the built in speakers are good, I always find myself having to toggle the volume up and down based on the background noise and people talking. A good sound bar would serve you better in that aspect.
I thought there were settings in the sound selection to output line level out on the audio jack and set it to Subwoofer? I would guess the Sony wireless sub uses the USB jack to power the wireless transmitter and the line out jack to get the sub output to transmit. Don't think it gets any audio over the USB.

Any more thoughts?

By the way, I read this entire blog before choosing the 65x900B, Thanks to everybody who contributed! You guys are awesome!
Aldonator likes this.
post #4000 of 6342 Old 08-01-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsteg View Post
I have a few questions

1) I read a few pages back that after the tv update, netflix should be a white screen instead of white. Is that true because I still have a red screen when starting app.

2) Picture has been great on my set aside for two things: when the screen is black such as when switching input - I see two whitish clouds/blobs on the left side of TV. Only seen on that blk screen, never when watching something.

3) what I notice is that when a program shows previous clips, the picture doesn't look good. For example, ESPN, when the commentators are speaking live it looks awesome but when they show a clip of let's say yesterday's baseball game - picture doesn't look as great. Is that normal?

4) Last question is I've noticed most 900b owners have the backlight on the low end. I have mine set to 7, once again normal? Some have even said that backlight on 2 with the 900B is brighter than max on the A series which I find hard to belief seeing as I've had both.
1) I think they mean the app icon. It is white with red writing vs red with white writing. I think loading is the red with white letter though.

2) blank inputs are always wonkey

3) I have noticed that with ESPN in general. That is not the TV

4) what scene are you on? I think the B is way brighter than the A. Like others, 2 on the B equals about 8-9 on the A.
post #4001 of 6342 Old 08-01-2014, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I have it set to standard
post #4002 of 6342 Old 08-01-2014, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is a little bit of a noob question, but can I pipe the audio through the tv and out to a receiver? In other words, can I connect my devices through hdmi to the TV and then use a hdmi port on the tv to passthrough the audio to the receiver? And can I control the audio in any way doing that? Would mean a simpler use here than connecting all the devices to the receiver and then connecting that to the tv.
post #4003 of 6342 Old 08-01-2014, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
1) I think they mean the app icon. It is white with red writing vs red with white writing. I think loading is the red with white letter though.

2) blank inputs are always wonkey

3) I have noticed that with ESPN in general. That is not the TV

4) what scene are you on? I think the B is way brighter than the A. Like others, 2 on the B equals about 8-9 on the A.
Also make sure you have Eco setting off, as they can affect backlight on top of your settings.
post #4004 of 6342 Old 08-01-2014, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello All,
Forgive me if this question has already been answered before,but there seems to be some confusion.
I'm interested in the 65X900B. United States model
My question is this, Does this model support HDCP 2.2?
I believe it already supports HDMI 2.0 ,and HEVC
Thank you all
post #4005 of 6342 Old 08-01-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAVID View Post
Hello All,
Forgive me if this question has already been answered before,but there seems to be some confusion.
I'm interested in the 65X900B. United States model
My question is this, Does this model support HDCP 2.2?
I believe it already supports HDMI 2.0 ,and HEVC
Thank you all
It does. I belive HDMI 2 is the port than supports HDCP 2.2.

Both HDMI 1 and 2 are 2.0 though.
post #4006 of 6342 Old 08-01-2014, 04:17 PM

Also for some reason I can't access the movies app. When I select it, the screen goes black. Music app does work. Any ideas?
post #4007 of 6342 Old 08-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Exciting times for sure Chris! They prolly will release the 65 1st followed up by his big bad brother the 77EC9800 IMO. Some great sales coming to CAV with these sets, as many are waiting for this. Soon we all will be able to chirp a new song sitting in front of a new OLED 4k techno marvel. Personally I found the "curve" aggravating to view initially. As I seen the Samsung 65HU9000 vs the 75HU8550 when I was out and about & much prefer flat. But... when a UHD set comes along this good with so many bonuses how can one buck against the goads? I'll learn to luv that darn curve if need be, unless their marketeers realize flat is marketable vs curved for this display tech.

Mr. Song says stay tuned: LG Display sees the OLED TV market emerging in late 2015 or early 2016
During a presentation in Korea, LGD's executive director of strategic marketing, Youngkwon Song, said that LGD is currently concentrating in lowering OLED TV production costs.

Sadly after reading more cons than pros on the 79X900B, I had to retire the idea of ownership.

Linky: http://www.oled-info.com/oled-tv-stories

Samsung 78JS9500 Main Living Room / Sony XBR-55X850c Basement
Comcast XG1-P / Def Tech BP7001SC Mains & mixed surrounds / Yamaha RX-Z7 / PS3
Qosmio X505-Q898 Windows 10 HTPC / XArmor U9BL-S LED Keyboard / Corsair M65 RGB white mouse
post #4008 of 6342 Old 08-01-2014, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
Exciting times for sure Chris! They prolly will release the 65 1st followed up by his big bad brother the 77EC9800 IMO. Some great sales coming to CAV with these sets, as many are waiting for this. Soon we all will be able to chirp a new song sitting in front of a new OLED 4k techno marvel. Personally I found the "curve" aggravating to view initially. As I seen the Samsung 65HU9000 vs the 75HU8550 when I was out and about & much prefer flat. But... when a UHD set comes along this good with so many bonuses how can one buck against the goads? I'll learn to luv that darn curve if need be, unless their marketeers realize flat is marketable vs curved for this display tech.

Mr. Song says stay tuned: LG Display sees the OLED TV market emerging in late 2015 or early 2016
During a presentation in Korea, LGD's executive director of strategic marketing, Youngkwon Song, said that LGD is currently concentrating in lowering OLED TV production costs.

Sadly after reading more cons than pros on the 79X900B, I had to retire the idea of ownership.

Linky: http://www.oled-info.com/oled-tv-stories

i actually find the curve on the lg a lot less noticeable. the curve on the 65hu9000 seems more noticeable than on the 78" to me.
Janibrewski likes this.
post #4009 of 6342 Old 08-01-2014, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Question, my playstation now app never loads games, is the beta done? My connection test passes each time. I've even let it load and no games load or show up on screen, I see no game selections/choices.
post #4010 of 6342 Old 08-01-2014, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
It does. I belive HDMI 2 is the port than supports HDCP 2.2.

Both HDMI 1 and 2 are 2.0 though.
Thank you Mattopotamus
post #4011 of 6342 Old 08-02-2014, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Question, I have some blotchy random dark spot when there's no input and really really dark scenes. Is this normal, I'm aware there will be uniformity issues but this really the only issue with it that I can see? Am I just too OCD or should I exchange it?
post #4012 of 6342 Old 08-02-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsteg View Post
I have a few questions

Regarding your number 4 I figured I would chime in on what I have found. So I have been testing and doing multiple pass calibrations with different settings and adv settings and have tested the effects these settings have on brightness.

There are actually a few things that have an effect on this, of course there are more but these have a huge impact.
Scene
MotionFlow
Picture setting

These all play off each other.

What I have noticed is many that have their Backlight on the lower end are probably using True Cinema. You can have the backlight almost all the way down and it will still be very bright, where as if you use Impulse you need to turn it almost all the way up if not set to Max. This then plays into the picture settings. Which then effects certain aspects of picture quality and some of what you are seeing regarding your number 3 and number 2. I have experienced some of both and was able to calibrate it out.

I can give more detail in a bit on this as well as your 1-3 though I can't right now cause me and the wife need to run errands, but what motionflow setting are you using? What scene and what picture mode?

LivingRoom: XBR-65X900B / Oppo BDP103D / Yamaha RX-A2040 / REL T7 / HDP2500 / Def Tech Mythos Ones x 4, Eight, 2x Gem XL / PS4 / Xbox One / Wii U
Bedroom: 65ZT60 / Oppo BDP93 / Apple TV / PS3
Office: KRP-500M / Xbox 360

Last edited by Sammie2980; 08-02-2014 at 09:40 AM.
post #4013 of 6342 Old 08-02-2014, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf13 View Post
the curve on the 65hu9000 seems more noticeable than on the 78" to me.
I agree. The curve on the 9000 and the speakers on the X900B are far more tolerable to me on the 78"/79" sizes.
post #4014 of 6342 Old 08-02-2014, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuadros86 View Post
Question, my playstation now app never loads games, is the beta done? My connection test passes each time. I've even let it load and no games load or show up on screen, I see no game selections/choices.
i just received a email from them about it, it should still be going to an open beta now as it should have been when the update hit the TV sets. also theirs supposed to be price drops on rentals hopefully they listen and price the movie rentals a little better. it seems they've listened to all the feedback I've sent so far so who knows. if you ask they seem to work quickly to get things done.
post #4015 of 6342 Old 08-02-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie2980 View Post
Regarding your number 4 I figured I would chime in on what I have found. So I have been testing and doing multiple pass calibrations with different settings and adv settings and have tested the effects these settings have on brightness.

There are actually a few things that have an effect on this, of course there are more but these have a huge impact.
Scene
MotionFlow
Picture setting

These all play off each other.

What I have noticed is many that have their Backlight on the lower end are probably using True Cinema. You can have the backlight almost all the way down and it will still be very bright, where as if you use Impulse you need to turn it almost all the way up if not set to Max. This then plays into the picture settings. Which then effects certain aspects of picture quality and some of what you are seeing regarding your number 3 and number 2. I have experienced some of both and was able to calibrate it out.

I can give more detail in a bit on this as well as your 1-3 though I can't right now cause me and the wife need to run errands, but what motionflow setting are you using? What scene and what picture mode?

I have it set to standard. Backlight on 7, motion flow on standard as well. Picture is at 97, color at 60 and brightness at 50.
post #4016 of 6342 Old 08-02-2014, 10:23 AM

I've been trying to find someone's setting on standard who has some idea on how to calibrate but no dice thus far.
post #4017 of 6342 Old 08-02-2014, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is the power cord on the 79" hard wired?
post #4018 of 6342 Old 08-02-2014, 11:02 AM

Also can someone confirm that when they select the videos unlimited app, the screen goes black? Sony says that's normal since you need a 4k media player to access that app.
post #4019 of 6342 Old 08-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsteagal100 View Post
Is the power cord on the 79" hard wired?
Yes
post #4020 of 6342 Old 08-02-2014, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
Yes
Bummer. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement