"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-55X900B / XBR-65X900B / XBR-79X900B Thread - Page 144 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 537Likes

post #4291 of 4311 Old Yesterday, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstromme View Post
I must have misunderstood something because I thought only the 850 series was edge lit.
850B is edge lit with Frame Dimming
900B is edge lit with Local Dimming

So the 900B should be better at dimming areas of the screen compared to the 850B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4292 of 4311 Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by everunman View Post
Youtube,
also UHD site
here
http://demo-uhd3d.com/
Downloaded this Samsung UHD Demo pack http://demo-uhd3d.com/fiche.php?cat=uhd&id=20 from the UHD site played them with VLC from a PC with a decent discrete video card and scaler set to 1080p sent over HDMI to my newer 2K Sony LED in here I use for 2nd PC screen and as a TV as well . I might download some of the others from here http://demo-uhd3d.com cool link !

Even at played at 1080p in 2D Samsung Demo pack is outstanding eye candy thanks for posting

I may burn the MP4's to DVD and spin them up on the PS3 and Sammie Plasma ,PS3 plays MP4 just fine so will not have to convert to mp2 and incur any possible degradation at least in the 1080p world anyway. Seated view distance is 6-10 ft depending where you sit from PDP unless I roll out the game chair and G 27 wheel should be interesting .
the foodie footage made me hungry time to pillage the fridge ☺☺☺

PS3 and Sammie Plasma PS3 plays MP4 just fine so will not have to convert to mp2 and incur any possible degradation
at least in the 1080p world anyway .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; Yesterday at 10:32 AM.
post #4293 of 4311 Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Has anyone found a full sized (non mini) DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 cord/adapter yet?

I have a mini-DP to HDMI 2.0 on my Microsoft Surface 3 and get a 4K desktop, but my regular HTPC has only HDMI 1.4 but it has a full sized DisplayPort 1.2 connector (+ DVD-I & DVD-D)

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #4294 of 4311 Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Has anyone found a full sized (non mini) DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 cord/adapter yet?

I have a mini-DP to HDMI 2.0 on my Microsoft Surface 3 and get a 4K desktop, but my regular HTPC has only HDMI 1.4 but it has a full sized DisplayPort 1.2 connector (+ DVD-I & DVD-D)
As far as cables go HDMI 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 are same same HDMI 2.0 is a device spec not a cable spec .
Just Google or use display port to HDMI 1.4 adapter or cable

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

Last edited by tubetwister; Yesterday at 02:43 PM.
post #4295 of 4311 Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
As far as cables go HDMI 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 are same same HDMI 2.0 is a device spec not a cable spec .
Just Google or use display port to HDMI 1.4 adapter or cable
This is not completely true. All DP to HDMI cables I've researched max out at 10.5 Gbps in their specs. That's HDMI 1.4. Those that list the resolution they support, none show 2160p @ 60 Hz, only 30 Hz.

I may buy one just for kicks, since the specs may not be updated to reflect HDMI 2.0.
post #4296 of 4311 Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
This is not completely true. All DP to HDMI cables I've researched max out at 10.5 Gbps in their specs. That's HDMI 1.4. Those that list the resolution they support, none show 2160p @ 60 Hz, only 30 Hz.

I may buy one just for kicks, since the specs may not be updated to reflect HDMI 2.0.
I don't have any DP devices HDMI to HDMI 2.0 cable will support 2160p/60
AFAIK no such thing as a HDMI 2.0 cable spec. D.P might be a limiting factor though .
if using a laptop does it have the stones to output 2160p/60 that would be highly unusual .
Quote:
Will I need a new cable?
NO! Well, probably not. Here is the exact quote from HDMI.org: "Version 2.0 of the HDMI Specification does not define new cables or new connectors. Current High Speed cables (category 2 cables) are capable of carrying the increased bandwidth." Emphasis mine. Here's another direct quote: "HDMI 2.0, which is backwards-compatible with earlier versions of the HDMI specifications..."

Version 2.0 (like 1.4 before it) is entirely a hardware change. It is not a cable change. You can expect cable manufacturers to proclaim that you need expensive new "Version 2.0 cables" but this is untrue. Your current High Speed cables should work just fine . http://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-2-0-wh...-need-to-know/

Last edited by tubetwister; Yesterday at 06:45 PM.
post #4297 of 4311 Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post

2160x1440 ( M$ Suface 3 ) is not 4K or 4K UHD TV (3840x2160 )....maybe 2160x1440 is M$ 4K lite or QHD lite ☺☺ .

My desktop runs at 2560 x1440 it's not 4K so what makes 2160x1440 4K ? M$ calls it Half 4K (2K) QHD whatever that is sounds like a tablet or smartphone QHD or WQHD resolution . 4K resides above QHD,

Quote:
Quad HD (QHD) comes with four times more pixels than a 720p HD display and it's the next step up from full HD (1920 x 1080) with a 2560 x 1440 resolution.
Of course 4K still resides above QHD, but that tech is only just making its way onto high-end TVs and computer monitors so we're unlikely to see it hit our smartphones this year.
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/pho...change-1210539
4K TV will support 1080p /60 (obviously ) or 4K 3840x2160 (2160p/60 if it meets HDMI 2.0 hdwe spec )I don't think MS surface pro 3 has the stones for 3840x 2160 (2160p/60 ) most desktops can't even do that without a decent discrete video card .

Last edited by tubetwister; Yesterday at 04:10 PM.
post #4298 of 4311 Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone notice a delay on the audio? Just got a 55" last night and I am in love with it. I compare it to my old pn64d8000 and black level are actually good from a led lcd. Is all screen size the same spec in term of local dimming?
post #4299 of 4311 Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
2160x1440 ( M$ Suface 3 ) is not 4K or 4K UHD TV (3840x2160 )....maybe 2160x1440 is M$ 4K lite or QHD lite ☺☺ .

My desktop runs at 2560 x1440 it's not 4K so what makes 2160x1440 4K ? M$ calls it Half 4K (2K) QHD whatever that is sounds like a tablet or smartphone QHD or WQHD resolution . 4K resides above QHD,

4K TV will support 1080p /60 (obviously ) or 4K 3840x2160 (2160p/60 if it meets HDMI 2.0 hdwe spec )I don't think MS surface pro 3 has the stones for 3840x 2160 (2160p/60 ) most desktops can't even do that without a decent discrete video card .

I can run 4096x2160p at 24Hz on my Surface 3, I can also do 3840x2160p at 30Hz, all output to the XBR-X900B.

This is the low end Surface 3 with the Haswell Core i3 and Intel HD Graphics 4200. I'm wondering if the 4400 or 5000 in the higher end ones can push out a 60p signal. For 60p I'm limited to 1920x1080. As for it's native display it's beautiful (and MS calls it 2K). Makes the iPad look like the oversized smart phone it really is. Full Office with Outlook is a wonderful thing and being able to load any Windows application I want...

The chipset is also 3D capable. I'm test using it as a HTPC running Cyberlink PowerDVD 14 Ultra. 1080p HD stuff looks terrific.

But my true HTPC is packing a GeForce GTX 570. So if I just buy a vanilla high bandwidth DP to HDMI cable it should work at not only 4K, but at least 60p?

PS: "M$"? Really? I better make sure my TV is Y2K ready because I'm in a time warp.

post #4300 of 4311 Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
I can run 4096x2160p at 24Hz on my Surface 3, I can also do 3840x2160p at 30Hz, all output to the XBR-X900B.

This is the low end Surface 3 with the Haswell Core i3 and Intel HD Graphics 4200. I'm wondering if the 4400 or 5000 in the higher end ones can push out a 60p signal. For 60p I'm limited to 1920x1080. As for it's native display it's beautiful (and MS calls it 2K). Makes the iPad look like the oversized smart phone it really is. Full Office with Outlook is a wonderful thing and being able to load any Windows application I want...

The chipset is also 3D capable. I'm test using it as a HTPC running Cyberlink PowerDVD 14 Ultra. 1080p HD stuff looks terrific.

But my true HTPC is packing a GeForce GTX 570. So if I just buy a vanilla high bandwidth DP to HDMI cable it should work at not only 4K, but at least 60p?

PS: "M$"? Really? I better make sure my TV is Y2K ready because I'm in a time warp.
I bought a belkin dp to hdmi adapter that is apparently 4K compatible. It was only $15, so if it doesn't allow 60p like I think it won't, no big deal.

I'll report back my results.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
post #4301 of 4311 Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You were calling your Surface whatever 4K and looking for an HDMI 2.0 cable adapter what changed your mind on the 4K thing maybe article I linked ?

As far as the Haswell GPU being 3D capable so is a $19.00 HD 5450 or a $50.00 AMD APU ( CPU and integrated graphics like a Haswell in case you dont know what an APU is ) big deal huh ?
Haswell GPU is more than fine for 1080p it ain't pushing 2160p/60 though I don't think any of the Intel CPU/GPU are up to that probably not the AMD APU either although they are quite a bit more capable graphics wise .

Like I said no such thing as a HDMI 2.0 cable ...anyway ....maybe you can figure it out for yourself maybe not , I'm outta here .

Last edited by tubetwister; Yesterday at 06:43 PM.
post #4302 of 4311 Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibrewski View Post
How is motion handling different in the dark?
You can achieve superior motion resolution using the "Impulse" selection under the "Motionflow" setting, but the light output is reduced by about 75%. However, by adjusting the backlight properly you can still achieve proper light output for dark room settings. For my set I achieved proper light output using the "Impulse" selection by setting the backlight to 7 in a dark room setting. This achieved maximum motion resolution, but the "Impulse" selection is too dark for a bright room. I was able to achieve proper light output for a bright room using the "Clear" selection under the "Motionflow" setting, but I was still able to detect artifacts added to the signal during normal viewing.
Janibrewski and Sammie2980 like this.
post #4303 of 4311 Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
USB UHD Playback...

I figured out my UHD USB playback problem. It seems that the X900B TVs favor the FAT32 file system. Once I reformatted my flash drive to FAT32 and loaded it with UHD content the TV played everything I threw at it flawlessly.
post #4304 of 4311 Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSnak85 View Post
You can achieve superior motion resolution using the "Impulse" selection under the "Motionflow" setting, but the light output is reduced by about 75%. However, by adjusting the backlight properly you can still achieve proper light output for dark room settings. For my set I achieved proper light output using the "Impulse" selection by setting the backlight to 7 in a dark room setting. This achieved maximum motion resolution, but the "Impulse" selection is too dark for a bright room. I was able to achieve proper light output for a bright room using the "Clear" selection under the "Motionflow" setting, but I was still able to detect artifacts added to the signal during normal viewing.
Thank you - I feel smarter now.

Are you guys noticing motion problems? I use the Sports scene setting and have watched football, baseball, and soccer and haven't noticed any issues...
post #4305 of 4311 Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You were calling your Surface whatever 4K and looking for an HDMI 2.0 cable adapter what changed your mind on the 4K thing maybe article I linked ?
What article?

The rest of your statement is gibberish. "Sent from my iPad"?

I was talking about the Surface 3 output resolution to the XBR-X900B via mini-DP/HDMI (4K), not the native resolution of the device itself, which is 2K.

post #4306 of 4311 Old Today, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What article?

The rest of your statement is gibberish. "Sent from my iPad"?

I was talking about the Surface 3 output resolution to the XBR-X900B via mini-DP/HDMI (4K), not the native resolution of the device itself, which is 2K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX
What article?
This article bro ,the same one I linked above ...........maybe you missed that too !
http://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-2-0-wh...-need-to-know/

Quote:

"Sent from my iPad"?
You mean Tard Pad ...........that's what the Brits call them anyway ☺☺☺

bro , let me refresh your memory,

Quote:
I have a mini-DP to HDMI 2.0 on my Microsoft Surface 3 and get a 4K desktop, but my regular HTPC has only HDMI 1.4 but it has a full sized Display Port 1.2 connector (+ DVD-I & DVD-D)
M$ Surface 3 Haswel core i3 iGPU doesn't render a 4K (3160P ) desktop image to it's own display like you said above ,same thing I told you earlier 3 Pinnochios ☺☺☺ it's WQXD and cannot output (4K 2160p/60 ) it can output ( 2160p/30 ) via display port .

No such thing as a minidp to HDMI 2.0 adapter or HDMI 2.0 cable I told you that also HDMI 2.0 is an electronic hdwe. spec not a cable spec told you that also maybe you didn't understand that 'gibberish ' there are D.P./HDMI adapters obviously though .

Quote:
The rest of your statement is gibberish.
Case in point just because you buy something doesn't mean you understand , know or ever will know anything about it much beyond what it says on the package or on the box in a lot of cases ☺☺☺

Quote:
The HDMI 2.0 spec does NOT define or require new cables or connectors, according to the information the HDMI Forum has released so far. Although the testing specification for HDMI 2.0 has not yet been established, and there are no cables that can be officially labeled as “HDMI 2.0 Compliant,” HDMI has stated that all current High Speed cables are capable of transmitting 18 Gbps when used with HDMI 2.0 electronics at both ends, and are therefore compatible with all HDMI 2.0 features. This is accomplished using signal processing that will be employed in all HDMI 2.0 hardware. For compatibility with all HDMI 2.0 features, new cables are not required for customers with High Speed cables, including AudioQuest High Speed HDMI cables.http://www.audioquest.com/theory-edu.../about-hdmi-2/
The Belkin display port /HDMI adapter should carry Mbps or up to 2160p/60 according to their spec
it should obviously do 2160p/30 as well .

Embedded Haswell ( mobile ) Intel 4000 /4400 iGPU spec is 18 Gbps max bandwidth
and 2560x 1600 max resolution generally a little behind the Radeon HD 6450 in gaming performance.

It's an integrated iGPU, so its memory depends on how much memory you give it from system memory. ,it's not the thing for gaming but it's plenty decent for basic stuff such as most average usage, HTPC usage, and office work. Mobile Haswell intel 4000/4400 iGPU should be able to "drive" a 4K (2160P) display @ 30 Hz ,no 4K @ 60Hz though maybe no
smooth 3D at 2160p /30 ?

4096x2160p at 24Hz might be cool if you can find the content that isn't stepped on (compressed ) to much .
TV should handle it .

Intel core i3 4000/4400 iGPU can make nice WQXD eye candy on the surface 3 display..You should be fine at 2160p/30 with your Belkin adapter to TV for *some things although 1080p/60 up scaled by the TV would be my suggestion for video or light3D within it's capabilities Sony 9x has excellent upscaler YMMV .

You Tube 4K and Netflix 4K have horribly low bit rates for 4K + bit shaping etc and not to mention plenty of mpeg compression and can not really convey a decent 4K experience because of that neither can 2160p/30 in many cases
think of Netflix and You Tube 4K as mp3 4K if you will although in You Tube case it's H .264 mp4 or mostly VP9 now and a propriety HEVC variable bit rate encode for Netflix all lossey compression like mp3

For large TV panel desktop monitor and browsing close up 2160p/30 can be cool but may not be appreciably better than
up scaled 1080p/60 on your Sony 9x since it has such a good upscaler in a lot of cases especially with video YMMV .

Lots of good Sony,Samsung ,Panasonic and LG uncompressed 2K/4K eye candy Demo loop downloads to be had here you can even play them at 1080p or 2160p/XX from a PC and realize a better than Blue Ray experience since your 4K Sony 9x TV supports YCbCr 4:4:4 or 0-255 color palate ( color profile) and more in addition to the std YCbCr 4:2:2 16-235 color profile of Blue ray .
You have to set that output at the Surface PC in the iGPU GUI ,the TV decodes it automatically when present .
You should be able to play them in 1080p/60 , 2160p/30 , and (2160P/60 if your PC GPU has the stones and TV supports it ) just fine also no real fast motion just plenty slow moving way cool eye candy. Demos should play from properly formatted USB flash drives in some sets also .For PC playback VLC would be the video player of choice WMC won't play a lot of them

There may be some with proprietary encodes/containers that need codec pack hacks , not to many though most of them are duplicated in MP4 or something anyway so I wouldn't be concerned about that if they don't play in VLC I would just just move on .

I might try rendering the 4K Demos to something I can build a DVD and/or Blue Ray file structure of some sort (probably mp4 to start with on DVD and maybe mp4 ,avchd,or multi avchd for Blue ray ) just for heck of it and see what shakes out then I'll probably destroy them when I'm done playing with them ,might not be so easy for the B.D. though I'm not going to sweat that one .

Link : http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?cat=demouhd Use the embedded Google translator when you get there.

Class dismissed enjoy the downloads and go have a Coke on me as long as you pay for it bro !............ ☺☺☺

Last edited by tubetwister; Today at 07:23 AM.
post #4307 of 4311 Old Today, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibrewski View Post
Thank you - I feel smarter now.

Are you guys noticing motion problems? I use the Sports scene setting and have watched football, baseball, and soccer and haven't noticed any issues...
It depends on the source and scene as well as motionflow. With impulse I have seen motion issues on cable (Uverse) though I do not get any with a good source like Bluray off my Oppo. With clear I haven't gotten any on bluray or games (PS4, Xbox One, Wii U) cable though I still see it occasionally.

True Cinema I get them on cable quite a bit, games I havent tested on true cinema and on BluRay is solid though. I only use this though if I am getting lots of reflections, and all doors and windows are open. Mainly because this is bright. It's like Day mode + for me.

I use Cinema scene and like QuikSnak85 I also use Impulse for my Night Mode and Clear for my day. I actually have 4 different settings. Common Cinema 1 with Impulse (Night), Cinema 2 Clear (Day) and then Current Input Cinema 1 True Cinema (Day) and Cinema 2 Impulse (Night) reason why I do this is Cinema 2 is brighter then 1. So If I feel I need just a little added brightness I can switch it up some.

LivingRoom: XBR-65X900B / Oppo BDP103D / Pioneer Elite SC35 / REL T7 / HDP2500 / Def Tech Mythos Ones x 4, Eight, 2x Gem XL / PS4 / Xbox One / Wii U
Bedroom: 65ZT60 / Oppo BDP93 / Apple TV / PS3
Office: KRP-500M / Xbox 360
post #4308 of 4311 Old Today, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 65X900B. Curious to hear if any owners have had their sets calibrated?

We've had the set for a few weeks. I find the bright, colorful scenes look great. But in dark scenes or scenes with shadows, the picture quality looks dismal. Dark areas (dark clothing) become blobbish, shimmers or look purple. We've tried adjusting the settings with only minor improvement. This is viewing a Verizon FIOS "HD" movie, like Pacifc Rim. I do note that blu-ray movies (via PS3) look better.

I'm hoping this is all user error.

Thank you.
post #4309 of 4311 Old Today, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsoncleaver View Post
850B is edge lit with Frame Dimming
900B is edge lit with Local Dimming

So the 900B should be better at dimming areas of the screen compared to the 850B.
Ya know there are so many play on words anymore with FALD, who can know for sure ?? In the end these TV's may have a form of local dimming, but it still acts like an edge lit TV, PERIOD. Not even close to acting like a FALD set like the X950B, that is a fact.
post #4310 of 4311 Old Today, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchTater1 View Post

We've had the set for a few weeks. I find the bright, colorful scenes look great. But in dark scenes or scenes with shadows, the picture quality looks dismal. Dark areas (dark clothing) become blobbish, shimmers or look purple. We've tried adjusting the settings with only minor improvement. This is viewing a Verizon FIOS "HD" movie, like Pacifc Rim. I do note that blu-ray movies (via PS3) look better.

Thank you.
Did they look similar to this or kind of flickered in and out? The color weird in the picture because of the angle it was taken but this entire area had a almost light blueish purple white to it. This is also actually from Pacific Rim on HBO HD cable from Uverse. The scene where both Jaegers went underwater and were headed to the fissure.

LivingRoom: XBR-65X900B / Oppo BDP103D / Pioneer Elite SC35 / REL T7 / HDP2500 / Def Tech Mythos Ones x 4, Eight, 2x Gem XL / PS4 / Xbox One / Wii U
Bedroom: 65ZT60 / Oppo BDP93 / Apple TV / PS3
Office: KRP-500M / Xbox 360
post #4311 of 4311 Old Today, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchTater1 View Post

Thank you.
Sounds like the usual mpeg compression artifacts ,macro blocking and mosquito noise that comes with SAT/CATV re transmission at no extra charge with your HD lite service and iptv streaming e.g,Netflix the bigger the panel the more noticeable it usually becomes. P.Q. can vary a lot by CATV /SAT and OTA channels a lot depending on quite a few things not the least being individual channel bandwidth allocation and compression settings .

Sometimes low mpeg noise reduction settings at the TV help (no more than 2 ) more often a little or none
also reducing brightness ,sharpness and using adjusted cinema ,standard and general modes may help
along with a neut color temp and bias back lighting or ambient room light at night .

Movie Picture above is HD light noise and artifacts decried above btw. Note the the mosquito noise in in the lower left corner not unusual but a bit severe in the photo anyway could be due to off angle color shift in photo . .

Last edited by tubetwister; Today at 12:59 PM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List