"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-55X900B / XBR-65X900B / XBR-79X900B Thread - Page 178 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 693Likes
post #5311 of 5321 Unread Yesterday, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Yep, for whatever reasons the local dimming is disabled (or at least severely curtailed) in the internet modes, it's been a quirk of Sony's sets for quite a while. In fact, it's similarly nobbled in the other scene select modes even when watching HDMI sources, like in Game, which is a pity because 1080p horizontal chroma resolution isn't rolled off like it is in the Cinema scene select.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5312 of 5321 Unread Yesterday, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
I found that a professional calibration immensely improved the blacks, and everything else. I used Accucal, who is on the forum as UMR, for three different sets with excellent results. Most do not think the "Geek Squad" calibrations from BB are very effective. I'd suggest doing a search for ISF-certified callibrators in your area. I thought spending $500 for a professional calibration was a good expense for a set costing over $7000.
really so going with a dedicated service like Accucal is better then geek squad
i know someone a bestbuy i might be able to get a discount but hey if its not effective ill go elsewhere
post #5313 of 5321 Unread Yesterday, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeitsok112 View Post
really so going with a dedicated service like Accucal is better then geek squad
i know someone a bestbuy i might be able to get a discount but hey if its not effective ill go elsewhere
You know, I am not so sure that, sometimes, Best Buy Magnolia doesn't get a bad rap here...

I am sure, as with anything else, there are good calibrators and their are not so good calibrators.

Has anyone here ever gotten a calibration by Best Buy Magnolia and not liked the results and went to someone else and gotten better results?

Sony XBR-65X930C (2015)
Panasonic 65VT60
Panasonic 65VT25

Pioneer Elite SC-37
Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD
post #5314 of 5321 Unread Yesterday, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Why is it this topic always has issues with seeing all the post. I can see every other topic on this board but this topic is always messed up and does not show things when posted.

Current Sets:
PN64F8500 Plasma (The Last Great Plasma)
Sony XBR65X900B with BDP-S6200 Blu-Ray Player

Previously Owned:
UN65HU7250 (4k Curved) UN55HU6840 (4K Flat) UN65HU8550 (4K Flat) Vizio P65 (4K Flat) All Returned due to Poor Quality
post #5315 of 5321 Unread Yesterday, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 38
This board/thread is FUBAR. No matter what I click, I cannot get to the last 5 posts in the thread. Clicking on the last number takes me to the next to last page of posts, as does the > button.

*grumble*

EDIT: Bizarre. Immediately after posting, my new post shows as #5310 of 5315, but as far as I can tell, there are none after mine.

Database issues?

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
post #5316 of 5321 Unread Yesterday, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post
You know, I am not so sure that, sometimes, Best Buy Magnolia doesn't get a bad rap here...

I am sure, as with anything else, there are good calibrators and their are not so good calibrators.

Has anyone here ever gotten a calibration by Best Buy Magnolia and not liked the results and went to someone else and gotten better results?
thanks for the response ya i was talking to geek squad bestbuy tonight they were saying a lcd television needs 200 hours break in time before your calibrate it
I think I'm going to consider getting it through bestbuy because of the price i get there is a lot of audio/video places around me that calibrate but whats the difference with bestbuy geek squad and like worldwide stereo or something along those lines
i was told geek squad uses a signal generator
post #5317 of 5321 Unread Yesterday, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anyone know anything about UltraFlix on Sony sets? Late last year there was an announcement about it, but can find nothing else.

It even says it will allow you to stream with an internet connection under 8mbps so it will open up 4k to more users.
post #5318 of 5321 Unread Today, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Just moving this into here as its about this thread, I didnt know this existed when I first posted)

Hi Guys,

I recently forked out a fairly large amount of money to buy a Sony Bravia 4K KD-79X9000B TV.

I have replaced a Pioneer Kuro 50" 08 model for the Bravia...very sad Pioneer closed down my Kuro has been superb, I wanted a bigger screen is why she is sitting on the sidelines now.

Anyway, reason for posting, new telly has approx 200hrs on it, we recently had the Asia World Cup soccer in Australia and it was shown in full 1080 that looked incredible on the sony.

The issue I have is, when they showed close ups of players on the pitch, and there was a large area of the screen showing a rich green grass colour I noticed on the right side of approx 1/4 of the screen several vertical lines from top to bottom, like streaks you seen when a fax or printer is running out of ink, has anyone else had this happen?

(there are replies in my original post)
post #5319 of 5321 Unread Today, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just got this email...they do move fast!!...I did sit on hold for 40 mins to get through to their support which sucked...but it may have worked.

"Dear Martin,

My name is Nelson, can you please send us a copy of the Receipt when you purchased your Television.

This is a requirement for processing a replacement.

Thank You.

Kind Regards,

Nelson
Customer Support Representative
Sony Australia and New Zealand
AU 1300 137669
NZ 0800 766969"
post #5320 of 5321 Unread Today, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
For around 250.00 you can buy the equipment needed and calibrate yourseelf. Then in the future with a little trial and error you could do others and be way ahead of the game. I understand this is not for everyone but with the great help provided here I am fairly confident most people can do it.

Just my thoughts..............
What equipment/software would you recommend for a noob?
post #5321 of 5321 Unread Today, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post
What equipment/software would you recommend for a noob?
I'd recommend the I1 Display as a measuring instrument and Calman as the measuring/calibration software. When I bought mine ~7 years ago it was like $450 for the Calman software and the I1 as a package. Checking over Spectracal's home page, looks as though they've started producing their own meters, the C3 and the C6.
You should be able to buy a package (meter/software from them directly for about $500-600.

http://calman.spectracal.com/

http://www.xrite.com/i1display-pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page