"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-55X900B / XBR-65X900B / XBR-79X900B Thread - Page 201 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 776Likes
post #6001 of 6024 Old 04-27-2015, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Now there is a deal
And what do you know, they call me today to tell me the 950b won't be in stock for at least 2 weeks. I told them I'll wait. If it takes longer, I may ask for the 930c if it becomes available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6002 of 6024 Old 04-28-2015, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
The 79X900B is selling on the Sony site for $6,999.99. For $1,000 more you can get the 75X940C which adds FALD, HDR and UHD Blu-ray support.

Since your budget is in the price range I would seriously look at the X940C. We're a month out. It's shipping May 28th.
So B models won't support UHD Blu-ray? Thought it was just they won't support 48FPS films at full colour, but 24fps would be fine?
post #6003 of 6024 Old 04-28-2015, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ugg starting to see the green smear. what would be causing this? I also have a 55" so there is nothing comparable in 2015.
post #6004 of 6024 Old 04-28-2015, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
The 79X900B is selling on the Sony site for $6,999.99. For $1,000 more you can get the 75X940C which adds FALD, HDR and UHD Blu-ray support.

Since your budget is in the price range I would seriously look at the X940C. We're a month out. It's shipping May 28th.
test
post #6005 of 6024 Old 04-28-2015, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Thanks for the info Carlos.

The 940C is looking pretty interesting, but the this TV is for my Living Room and not the Man Cave / Basement area where I do most of my primary watching of TV / Movies and Gaming.

I still have a KRP-600M down there, because the 950B and 900B couldn't cut the mustard for my critical eyes vs. the KRP-600M. I'm probably black balled at my normal retailer for returning a 65X900B to upgrade to the 65X950B which had issues and the delivery company broke the second 950B and the third one was worst of all, so it got returned. This was last summer / fall.

Some of the forum sellers have these going for $5,800 at this point, and I have seen a few prices around $4200. It is those prices that are making me look at the 79X900B...I am trying to get the biggest 4K screen with good quality I can get at the biggest bang for my buck. I had a KRP-500M at my old house in the living room, but it is way too small for the new house and looks silly in the room, which is why I picked up the 2015 Vizio M70-C3...but I'm not that impressed with that set right now, but for $1900 I figured I would try it. Looking to go to OLED to replace my KRP-600M at some point.
post #6006 of 6024 Old 04-28-2015, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crow216 View Post
And what do you know, they call me today to tell me the 950b won't be in stock for at least 2 weeks. I told them I'll wait. If it takes longer, I may ask for the 930c if it becomes available.
I got a phone call today telling me that a refurb 900B is on the way, I was like wtf!!!! I told you guys to let me know what stock is available. Has anybody had any experiences with refurb models? Also, has anyone had any experience with Sony refunding you the purchase? I should hold my ground but I really want to get this behind me, it's getting frustrating not being able to talk to the appropriate people and have monkeys write down notes to get a call back from the person trying to help me.
post #6007 of 6024 Old 04-28-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiizim View Post
I got a phone call today telling me that a refurb 900B is on the way, I was like wtf!!!! I told you guys to let me know what stock is available. Has anybody had any experiences with refurb models? Also, has anyone had any experience with Sony refunding you the purchase? I should hold my ground but I really want to get this behind me, it's getting frustrating not being able to talk to the appropriate people and have monkeys write down notes to get a call back from the person trying to help me.
They are not easy to deal with for sure. The initial folks you get through to are basically tech. Then have no power to do anything. However, despite them telling you that they need to escalate and cannot directly connect you to "Customer relations" they can actually call them FOR you while you're on the phone. So, I would ask them to escalate, call them directly, and ask if CR can call you back right now. They did that for me yesterday and it worked.
post #6008 of 6024 Old 04-28-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
They are not easy to deal with for sure. The initial folks you get through to are basically tech. Then have no power to do anything. However, despite them telling you that they need to escalate and cannot directly connect you to "Customer relations" they can actually call them FOR you while you're on the phone. So, I would ask them to escalate, call them directly, and ask if CR can call you back right now. They did that for me yesterday and it worked.

I just re-read the warranty, it does say new. I'm going to stick to my guns and keep pushing new. Refurbished just rubs me the wrong way, especially after this ordeal. My biggest concerns lie with blemishes, scuffs, missing remotes/ 3D glasses and I really don't want to go through the exchange process all over again. My screen is slowly but surely completely dying, I just got this black void near the top middle of the screen.
post #6009 of 6024 Old 04-28-2015, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
I just re-read the warranty, it does say new. I'm going to stick to my guns and keep pushing new. Refurbished just rubs me the wrong way, especially after this ordeal. My biggest concerns lie with blemishes, scuffs, missing remotes/ 3D glasses and I really don't want to go through the exchange process all over again. My screen is slowly but surely completely dying, I just got this black void near the top middle of the screen.
to be fair, you are getting a better set than what you bought, x850a?. 900B is comparable to 900A.

x850a does not have an opticontrast panel. It also does not have QD vision color IQ - aka quantum dots like x900a while 900B has sony's own nano crystal tech. You also gain HEVC from the B and also the side speakers(pro/con?)

I would take x900b any day or x850c since the A & B UI is a POS.

They gave me a new x850b to replace my defective one, I can't complain, maybe I should have waited for x850c to release before reporting my problems, it is very easy to check their stock, just add 99 sets of the TV in cart and you'll know how many they have.

They did say their policy is replace same model or comparable if in stock.

I would take the x900b and check the hours on it, do a full test run and extend the warranty on it. refurbs may fail and then you can get another set.
Carlos_E likes this.
post #6010 of 6024 Old 04-28-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justned View Post
Quote:
to be fair, you are getting a better set than what you bought, x850a?. 900B is comparable to 900A.

x850a does not have an opticontrast panel. It also does not have QD vision color IQ - aka quantum dots like x900a while 900B has sony's own nano crystal tech. You also gain HEVC from the B and also the side speakers(pro/con?)

I would take x900b any day or x850c since the A & B UI is a POS.

They gave me a new x850b to replace my defective one, I can't complain, maybe I should have waited for x850c to release before reporting my problems, it is very easy to check their stock, just add 99 sets of the TV in cart and you'll know how many they have.

They did say their policy is replace same model or comparable if in stock.

I would take the x900b and check the hours on it, do a full test run and extend the warranty on it. refurbs may fail and then you can get another set.
How do you check hours on a tv? Also, they claim what Sony store has and there warehouse are two separate entities.
post #6011 of 6024 Old 04-29-2015, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sony are telling me that the green smears appearing on the set are due to the 'viewing cone' of the TV...

"The angular range is called viewing cone defined by a multitude of viewing directions. The image may seem garbled, washed out, poorly saturated, of poor contrast, blurry or too faint outside the stated viewing angle range.".

He then goes on to say this can happen in a dark environment, when I specifically said this happens during daytime viewing. Does this sound like Sony are trying to push back?

"The LCD screen is made with high-precision technology to achieve a high level of performance and picture quality. To achieve this level of performance, the backlight setting of the TV is set to maximize the screen brightness. However, uneven brightness may be observed when the TV is viewed in a dark environment without a video input source, or with a blank screen. This condition is normal and not a malfunction of the TV."
post #6012 of 6024 Old 04-29-2015, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Spinach,my first 900b arrived with green streaks ( I posted pics a few pages back) they made me take photos of the issue and the serial number on the back of the tv and they had their higher level techs take a look at my problem and they declared it defective,so they sent out a new one....

Make sure you talk to the proper department,take photos of your problem and email it to them and stay on top of them because they will fall asleep on you...

Once the techs check your issues out they will probably offer you a tech visit to replace panel,offer a refurb or upgrade to latest model or even a refund.

Just be ready to call them daily as persistence is key.

Sony 55XBR900B w/Sub & 4K X10 Player
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS4 - Directv Genie HR-44 3/C41 mini's, Sunday Ticket & MLB Xtra innings
Sony STR- ZA3000ES AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #6013 of 6024 Old 04-29-2015, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 875
Quote:
That is remarkable, is it not
post #6014 of 6024 Old 04-29-2015, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post
Spinach,my first 900b arrived with green streaks ( I posted pics a few pages back) they made me take photos of the issue and the serial number on the back of the tv and they had their higher level techs take a look at my problem and they declared it defective,so they sent out a new one....

Make sure you talk to the proper department,take photos of your problem and email it to them and stay on top of them because they will fall asleep on you...

Once the techs check your issues out they will probably offer you a tech visit to replace panel,offer a refurb or upgrade to latest model or even a refund.

Just be ready to call them daily as persistence is key.
Thanks Peter - Your green streaks seems different to mine, but I will keep on at them, as you are right, they will not keep on top of it all until it reaches a certain level in my experience.
post #6015 of 6024 Unread Yesterday, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So, almost 6 months later and my tv keeps changing input as if nothing is connected to it even though it is to my receiver. After happening a few times, screen went out and LED flashed red 8 times!!!!!! Anyone know what could be the deal?
post #6016 of 6024 Unread Yesterday, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Touch remote not working...

I recently brought a 65X900B and the small touch remote that came along doesn't seem to work. Is there any setting that I need do to make it work? Appreciate any inputs. Thanks!
post #6017 of 6024 Unread Yesterday, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by prven View Post
I recently brought a 65X900B and the small touch remote that came along doesn't seem to work. Is there any setting that I need do to make it work? Appreciate any inputs. Thanks!

You're supposed to bond the remote during initial setup. From the setup guide:

Quote:
Touchpad Remote Control can only be used after registration with the TV. You can register the Touchpad Remote Control by pressing HOME, then select Settings - Preferences Touchpad Remote Control Setup.
https://docs.sony.com/release/XBR55X...950B_EN_FR.pdf
prven likes this.
post #6018 of 6024 Unread Yesterday, 01:21 PM

Well Sony allegedly doesn't have any new sets. The said they are going to set up with a shipping company to pick up my tv and refund my money.

Any suggestions on what I should/can get for $4300?
post #6019 of 6024 Unread Yesterday, 03:32 PM

"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-55X900B / XBR-65X900B / XBR-79X900B Thread

Quote:
Well Sony allegedly doesn't have any new sets. The said they are going to set up with a shipping company to pick up my tv and refund my money.

They don't have any new 900 or 950 but you can opt to wait.

Edit: and the worst case scenario is that you wind up with a 930C.

Last edited by crow216; Yesterday at 03:37 PM.
post #6020 of 6024 Unread Yesterday, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:

Get the 65X930C.
post #6021 of 6024 Unread Yesterday, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:

They don't have any new 900 or 950 but you can opt to wait.

Edit: and the worst case scenario is that you wind up with a 930C.
They made it sound like they aren't getting any new. I'll call again on Monday, but I could wait a few more weeks.
post #6022 of 6024 Unread Yesterday, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuadros86 View Post
So, almost 6 months later and my tv keeps changing input as if nothing is connected to it even though it is to my receiver. After happening a few times, screen went out and LED flashed red 8 times!!!!!! Anyone know what could be the deal?
It means you need to contact Sony to get a replacement. Something fried in the tv as far as I know or are you able to turn it on after that?
post #6023 of 6024 Unread Today, 08:01 AM

Quote:
They made it sound like they aren't getting any new. I'll call again on Monday, but I could wait a few more weeks.

They told me the same thing but they're full of ****. How could the 950b crowd not get new sets? Makes no sense. Either way, there's no harm in waiting because the other alternative for me is getting the 930c which isn't even out yet so I'll wait until at least then.
post #6024 of 6024 Unread Today, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:

They told me the same thing but they're full of ****. How could the 950b crowd not get new sets? Makes no sense. Either way, there's no harm in waiting because the other alternative for me is getting the 930c which isn't even out yet so I'll wait until at least then.
I don't know if they would get any 930c with in the next two months. At this point I would just rather have my money back.

With all the misfortune going around I actually have a somewhat funny story. On Friday I joined a pick it line for another local union. Coincidentally a Sony distribution warehouse was next door, didn't realize this until we were leaving. They called me with the proposed resolution while I was there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays