"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-55X900B / XBR-65X900B / XBR-79X900B Thread - Page 202 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 819Likes

post #6031 of 6314 Old 05-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Got a great price on the 65" from HH Gergg.....I am wondering if anyone has used the HDMI port in the back of the OPPO 103 for upscaling purposes and preferred this method over the 900b tv's upscaling.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 6314 Old 05-05-2015, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodges69 View Post
Got a great price on the 65" from HH Gergg.....I am wondering if anyone has used the HDMI port in the back of the OPPO 103 for upscaling purposes and preferred this method over the 900b tv's upscaling.
Thanks.

Sony sets upscale excellent, I cannot imagine the OPPO doing better at all.

Sony XBR65X900B and LG 55EC9300
post #6033 of 6314 Old 05-05-2015, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
Sony sets upscale excellent, I cannot imagine the OPPO doing better at all.
Thanks..I love what OPPO does.....also using a Darbee Darblet...curious to see if the Darbee will enhance.....going to have fun doing comparisons....
post #6034 of 6314 Old 05-05-2015, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Thanks.
I have the 65x900b and the Oppo 103.
After comparing the upscaling between the Sony and the Oppo,I prefer the Oppo.
It does a wonderful job upscaling,to near 4K quality. Add the 900b's detail and color, the Sony and Oppo make a nice combo.
post #6035 of 6314 Old 05-05-2015, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAVID View Post
I have the 65x900b and the Oppo 103.
After comparing the upscaling between the Sony and the Oppo,I prefer the Oppo.
It does a wonderful job upscaling,to near 4K quality. Add the 900b's detail and color, the Sony and Oppo make a nice combo.
Thanks...boy,what a great dilemma I have here!
post #6036 of 6314 Old 05-05-2015, 06:36 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Thanks...boy,what a great dilemma I have here!
Just keep in mind,that the Oppo is my personal preference for the upscaling. After comparing the two you might decide the Sony looks better for you. No right or wrong here.
To me,the Oppo is just one of those products that does everything so well.
Either way,it should keep you going,till true 4K UHD Blu Ray arrives on the scene.
So enjoy your dilemma for now!
post #6037 of 6314 Old 05-05-2015, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAVID View Post
Just keep in mind,that the Oppo is my personal preference for the upscaling. After comparing the two you might decide the Sony looks better for you. No right or wrong here.
To me,the Oppo is just one of those products that does everything so well.
Either way,it should keep you going,till true 4K UHD Blu Ray arrives on the scene.
So enjoy your dilemma for now!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,right?:
post #6038 of 6314 Old 05-06-2015, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How is everyone's take on the 3d effect of the 65 900B? I think the 3d on my 65 900A is better because of the depth, but overall on the 900B it is clearer and more detailed. But i don't see too much depth as i do on my 900A 3d. Anyone that has the 65 900A agree?
post #6039 of 6314 Old 05-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 129
my 79x900b has tons more depth than my active samsung
post #6040 of 6314 Old 05-06-2015, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
4 red blinks of death

Turned on my XBR-65X900B last Sunday and got the dreadful repeating 4 red LED blinks and the TV failed to boot. From limited research, seems like it's an indication of some sort of board failure.

I bought my TV last August directly from the online Sony Store, so it's a little disappointing that the set failed so quickly. I do love the set, and believed mine was a good sample (notwithstanding the above issue) without some of the display issues (weird light bleeding and green splotches, etc.) discussed in this thread.

Good thing it's still under warranty. After repeated phone calls to Sony support (and I took the advice of making sure to call them each day until the issue was resolved), and some hoop jumping, they are sending me a refurbished unit. I do have some concerns whether the one they're sending will exhibit any of the issues mentioned here, so fingers are crossed.

Reading the thread, I'm impressed that there are folks that managed to receive new sets and in some instances even models that are a step above. Thumbs up for pulling that off!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6331.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	703762  
post #6041 of 6314 Old 05-06-2015, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have no clue if they have any new stock if they can't fix your problem. I'm just waiting for my check to come now. I asked for a confirmation email for legality sake to ensure I get back my full refund and not some pro-rated crap.
post #6042 of 6314 Old 05-06-2015, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It took over 4 months to get my refund from sony. I also asked for a confirmation email after it had been sent both times they were supposed to send the check. I never got an email from them confirming they had sent it.
post #6043 of 6314 Old 05-06-2015, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooodavie View Post
It took over 4 months to get my refund from sony. I also asked for a confirmation email after it had been sent both times they were supposed to send the check. I never got an email from them confirming they had sent it.
How long ago was this? Also, how did they send it?
post #6044 of 6314 Old 05-07-2015, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsteg View Post
Has anyone had any issues with the 900B restarting on its own? Since I did the last update recently, my TV has shut off and then turned back on its own. I may have to call Sony again...
Mine has now done this twice in 5 days
JimSatala77 likes this.
post #6045 of 6314 Old 05-07-2015, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinachpie View Post
Mine has now done this twice in 5 days
If you are having issues with restart it could be that your IPV6 is turned on in the TV settings I experienced an issue that disappeared after i disabled the IPV6...If that doesn't fix it or you don't have it enabled then it's a more serious Main board issue which I have also had a unit go out on and it would do randomly power off repeatedly on my first unit which was replaced by Sony , The Tech told me at the time it was a power supply board and they had to replace the tv then in july of 2014 because they didnt have parts available yet then or manuals because it was so new...I stumbled across the IPV6 issue after i got an IPV6 modem and I turned it on in the network setting of the TV and it starting shutting off so i turned the IPV6 off and it went away
post #6046 of 6314 Old 05-07-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Just went into best buy to see if they have any kind of sale on the 65x900b. They have the 55 on display and the price is 3999 now! Guy ive talked to a few times now said he can give me the 55 for 2700 or the 65 for 3800.
Those prices are high, you did not miss out on anything.
post #6047 of 6314 Old 05-07-2015, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Those prices are high, you did not miss out on anything.
I thought the 65 for $3800 was a pretty decent price when it came the the free sub and media player. It might have been $3500. I was planning on getting that and then selling at least the media player to get a bit more money off.
post #6048 of 6314 Old 05-07-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
If you are having issues with restart it could be that your IPV6 is turned on in the TV settings I experienced an issue that disappeared after i disabled the IPV6...If that doesn't fix it or you don't have it enabled then it's a more serious Main board issue which I have also had a unit go out on and it would do randomly power off repeatedly on my first unit which was replaced by Sony , The Tech told me at the time it was a power supply board and they had to replace the tv then in july of 2014 because they didnt have parts available yet then or manuals because it was so new...I stumbled across the IPV6 issue after i got an IPV6 modem and I turned it on in the network setting of the TV and it starting shutting off so i turned the IPV6 off and it went away

Thanks for the info - just checked my settings and IPV6 is turned off and have never turned it on
JimSatala77 likes this.
post #6049 of 6314 Old 05-08-2015, 05:48 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Did anyone asking for calibration settings read Cleveland plasmas link he posted?

Yes, but I don't think everyone is going to use his settings exclusively. Maybe as a reference and then tweak from there. Also, I tend to think and this is just my opinion, that The Sony X900B is a far superior TV to the Sharp's in the post. Not saying they won't be different like the article, but I think the Sony's would have a better chance of being a little more alike. Sharp has been inferior since I can remember except for their Elite line. Back in the day they led the pack, but that was along time ago.
JimSatala77 likes this.
post #6050 of 6314 Old 05-09-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
This has now happened again - 3 times now. I have looked online and found no other information on this. Any other idea what it could be? It's really hard dealing with Sony with all of these issues.
post #6051 of 6314 Old 05-09-2015, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinachpie View Post
This has now happened again - 3 times now. I have looked online and found no other information on this. Any other idea what it could be? It's really hard dealing with Sony with all of these issues.
I'm Sorry to say that it sound like what was happening to my first 79x900b that they had to replaced ....I personally thought it was a memory error because I noticed that when i was navigating the menu it would be all hurky jerky and hang up a little bit..does your unit act weird like that at all? The sony tech told me it was a power supply that was bad but I have seen other products that had bad flash memory or not enough processing power shudder and reboot like that tv was doing so IDK..I can tell you it's going to continue and get worse because mine did..by the time Sony Finally Replaced it it was shutting itself off every hour or so

just get them to either replace it or fix it asap
If you have an actual Sony store nearby try contacting them and talking to the regional manager..once you get an actual management person on it they get the problem resolved and follow up with you to make sure everything is OK..the 800 number people in Malaysia or wherever they are don't really have a clue and I don't think they have any juice to get stuff done...I always had terrible experiences with them until I got contacted by a Sony Corporate person who had everything squared away within 72 hours..if you are relying on their customer service call center you are in for a miserable and time consuming back and forth were you talk to a different person every time and have to explain everything all over again and they just read their script telling you that you need to reset the TV to factory settings or something else as annoying that after waiting for hours or days for the supposed tech support people to call you back you might lose your mind.
IDK but I guess they have so many units out there that they have to have these human answering machines that basically try to dissuade or discourage people from just contacting them for every little thing that they dislike or tire of.
post #6052 of 6314 Old 05-09-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I'm Sorry to say that it sound like what was happening to my first 79x900b that they had to replaced ....I personally thought it was a memory error because I noticed that when i was navigating the menu it would be all hurky jerky and hang up a little bit..does your unit act weird like that at all? The sony tech told me it was a power supply that was bad but I have seen other products that had bad flash memory or not enough processing power shudder and reboot like that tv was doing so IDK..I can tell you it's going to continue and get worse because mine did..by the time Sony Finally Replaced it it was shutting itself off every hour or so

just get them to either replace it or fix it asap
If you have an actual Sony store nearby try contacting them and talking to the regional manager..once you get an actual management person on it they get the problem resolved and follow up with you to make sure everything is OK..the 800 number people in Malaysia or wherever they are don't really have a clue and I don't think they have any juice to get stuff done...I always had terrible experiences with them until I got contacted by a Sony Corporate person who had everything squared away within 72 hours..if you are relying on their customer service call center you are in for a miserable and time consuming back and forth were you talk to a different person every time and have to explain everything all over again and they just read their script telling you that you need to reset the TV to factory settings or something else as annoying that after waiting for hours or days for the supposed tech support people to call you back you might lose your mind.
IDK but I guess they have so many units out there that they have to have these human answering machines that basically try to dissuade or discourage people from just contacting them for every little thing that they dislike or tire of.

Don't I know it. I did contact them months ago and exchanged my X8504A as the description on their website stated it had the HEVC codec (Which it did not). I spoke to Level 2 Support in Australia at that time and at least then, I knew they were working for Sony AU/NZ directly. It was still painful, but worked out in the end - they couldn't really argue about it, because it was on their website.

This time around I am speaking to people with American accents (I am guessing call centre in the Philippines) and they don't even put me through to the person I spoke to last time. I can only email him - and he rarely replies.

I have asked for an exchange unit (and not a repair as I have only had this TV since December) - and this was regarding an unrelated issue (?) of green smearing during daytime viewing, but that has now been compounded with this new issue.

I may try to speak to the Sony store which is not too far from me, but I fear they will tell me to call the customer care number.
post #6053 of 6314 Old 05-13-2015, 05:21 PM

More issues with my TV - TV won't connect to the internet and when I try to enter the WiFi config again, a message appears saying 'The system has encountered an error, please contact Sony'.

Hoping this will be enough for them to at last offer me an exchange...
post #6054 of 6314 Old 05-13-2015, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Its been said that the 950b will be able to do a pseudo (bootleg version) of interpreting HDR content via a upcoming firmware and I was curious if the 900b will get this treatment as well.

Sony 55XBR900B w/Sub & 4K X10 Player
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS4 - Directv Genie HR-44 3/C41 mini's, Sunday Ticket & MLB Xtra innings
Sony STR- ZA3000ES AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #6055 of 6314 Old 05-14-2015, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Made a discovery last night that I had not seen mentioned, before. I was using my XBR79X 900B as a display of pictures from a notebook, and tried to use a red laser pointer. The antireflective coating on the TV completely absorbed the red laser dot--coudn't see it at all.
post #6056 of 6314 Old 05-14-2015, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Just bought a 55X 900B. I will have it ISF's after breakin. Anyone have any recommended picture settings to start with?

Thanks,
Ken
post #6057 of 6314 Old 05-14-2015, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Was there any ever clarification of the 79X900B is HDMI 2.0 or will work with the new 4K Blu-Ray standard?
post #6058 of 6314 Old 05-14-2015, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post
Was there any ever clarification of the 79X900B is HDMI 2.0 or will work with the new 4K Blu-Ray standard?
the 2014 4K Sony Bravia series support HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 verification, so I guess that there will no problems..
the contrary would be ridiculous..

.. Sony KD-55X9005B ..​
post #6059 of 6314 Old 05-16-2015, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Has anyone used the disney WOW for calibration? I'm having a ton of trouble calibrating the contrast. I'm using the advanced calibration but no matter what I do with brightness and "picture," it doesn't change the pattern.
post #6060 of 6314 Old 05-18-2015, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crow216 View Post
Has anyone used the disney WOW for calibration? I'm having a ton of trouble calibrating the contrast. I'm using the advanced calibration but no matter what I do with brightness and "picture," it doesn't change the pattern.
Did you turn off any of the advanced or auto contrast and black level settings on both the TV and your blu ray player? You should also make sure that the eco or energy saving settings are turned off as these will impact your calibration settings. I'm a former plasma TV owner so I like softer more natural color settings and thus use the Cinema 2 setting and a modified version of Austin Jerry's settings (see the XBR-65X900A thread). The 900B is a lot brighter that the 900A so I have the backlight set between 1 and 3 depending on the lighting in my room as opposed to 5 to 7 on the 900A.

Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page