"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-55X900B / XBR-65X900B / XBR-79X900B Thread - Page 211 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 821Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6301 of 6337 Old 08-25-2015, 08:48 AM
Newbie
 
jberg918's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
FWIW: My 2014 Samsung 75" with the 2015 SEK 3500 OCB has a better picture than my 79" Sony. This was not true until I updated with the 2015 OCB that adds many features of the 2015 sets and the 75" has a 10 bit panel as contrasted to the 8 bit of the Sony. The only thing the Sony does better is a wider viewing angle because of it's IPS panel. The Samsung, with it's VA panel has better blacks (Letterbox bars are the same color as the frame--not so for the Sony). My wife far prefers the Sony because of it's speakers. She doesn't like speakers cluttering up the clean lines of the Living room.
I agree. It's nice having a TV without terrible edge bleed and green smearing on the sides
jberg918 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6302 of 6337 Old 08-26-2015, 09:38 AM
Member
 
xbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just got the xbr79x900b from buydig (on ebay) for $3499, which I found on slick deals). Buydig is an "AUTHORIZED" Sony Dealer for warranty purposes. They shipped the TV rather quickly, it was huge, the feet are already attached on the 79" model. (The sale was over after 100 units, but just today 8-26-15, they started selling 100 more.. Search slick deals for "4k tv Sony".

Honestly, I don't mind the speakers at all, the black gloss looks nice to me. Also the sound is really great. My wife accidentally turned off the stereo and was using the TV and she couldn't tell the difference, lol though her shows (soap operas and dramas) don't require a subwoofer! LOL. I can pretty much be sure that if I got the wireless subwoofer for this TV that it would cost you $600 for a stereo that can beat the sound of this TV.

3D works great with the latest firmware update. I read that the 79" uses an LG LED display which would explain why my side viewing angle is great. I sit off to the side where our main sofa is center to TV.. I know on my old TV the viewing angle issue was noticeable on this one, not at all.

However because it might be using the LG LED, I think the picture levels are different to that of it's 65" x900b counterpart that everyone raves best picture ever on LED. Don't get me wrong, my picture quality is amazing and I say that to my wife every time we watch the TV (still in honeymoon phase), but it took me a lot of tweaking to get the picture to my satisfaction. I HAVE NO LIGHT BLEED WHAT SO EVER, so I guess YMMV with this TV, but mine is perfect).

Right out of the box the picture is beautiful, but they really set the contrast high to show off the blacks and such. Well, if there is a shade of grey in the scene or something in the shadows, I want to see it.. But I don't want the picture washed out.. Therefore I'll share my settings with you and tell me what you think (on your new Sony 79" 4k 3D LED).

I chose to start with Standard instead of Cinema 1 which so many others do.. I'll try tweaking Cinema 1 in the future, but for now I'm using standard. Also remember that every mode/input uses different settings, so you'll need to customize each separately. (i.e., even though my Satellite and Smart TV are both on INPUT 1, they still use different picture settings because it's in a different mode)

One thing you need to be sure to do is go into "Setttings" / "Preferences" / "Eco" / and turn your Light Sensor off... At night it made the TV way to dark.

Picture Mode: Standard
BackLight: 7
Picture: 85
Brightness: 55
Color: 60
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Warm 1
Sharp: 50
Noise Reducation: off
MPeG reduc: off
Dot Noise reduc: off
Reality Creation: Auto
Smooth Gradation: Off
MootionFlow: Standard
Cinemotion: Auto
---------------------------------
Advanced
Black Corrector: Low (some may like this higher for deeper blacks)
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off (some may like this on for more contrast pop)
Gamma +2
LED Dynamic Control: Standard
Auto Light Limiter: Medium
Clear White: off (this feature is cool though, will make white things pure white, even if using warm1 or warm 2 modes).
Live Color: Low
White Balance: (All 0's) though if someone has pro calibrated this, please share
Detail Enhancer: off
Edge Enhancer: off
Skin Naturalizer: on
Display Speed Preference: off

There ya go everyone.. Have fun and enjoy 4k!

OH One last thing, the 4k Upscalling on this TV is amazing, best I've seen.. Every show that is 1080 or 720 looks like 4k on this thing. It's seriously amazing compared to an 80" 1080p TV, you can get so close and see no compression or artifacting. standard broadcast 320 x whatever, still looks like crap in 4k just like it did in 1080p.

Last edited by xbones; 08-26-2015 at 10:19 AM.
xbones is offline  
post #6303 of 6337 Old 08-26-2015, 11:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Donloz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: GTA
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know how to reset a 65x900b back to factory settings?

Thanx in advance,

Every day above ground is a good day.
Donloz is online now  
post #6304 of 6337 Old 08-26-2015, 02:35 PM
Newbie
 
jberg918's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbones View Post
I just got the xbr79x900b from buydig (on ebay) for $3499, which I found on slick deals). Buydig is an "AUTHORIZED" Sony Dealer for warranty purposes. They shipped the TV rather quickly, it was huge, the feet are already attached on the 79" model. (The sale was over after 100 units, but just today 8-26-15, they started selling 100 more.. Search slick deals for "4k tv Sony".

Honestly, I don't mind the speakers at all, the black gloss looks nice to me. Also the sound is really great. My wife accidentally turned off the stereo and was using the TV and she couldn't tell the difference, lol though her shows (soap operas and dramas) don't require a subwoofer! LOL. I can pretty much be sure that if I got the wireless subwoofer for this TV that it would cost you $600 for a stereo that can beat the sound of this TV.

3D works great with the latest firmware update. I read that the 79" uses an LG LED display which would explain why my side viewing angle is great. I sit off to the side where our main sofa is center to TV.. I know on my old TV the viewing angle issue was noticeable on this one, not at all.

However because it might be using the LG LED, I think the picture levels are different to that of it's 65" x900b counterpart that everyone raves best picture ever on LED. Don't get me wrong, my picture quality is amazing and I say that to my wife every time we watch the TV (still in honeymoon phase), but it took me a lot of tweaking to get the picture to my satisfaction. I HAVE NO LIGHT BLEED WHAT SO EVER, so I guess YMMV with this TV, but mine is perfect).

Right out of the box the picture is beautiful, but they really set the contrast high to show off the blacks and such. Well, if there is a shade of grey in the scene or something in the shadows, I want to see it.. But I don't want the picture washed out.. Therefore I'll share my settings with you and tell me what you think (on your new Sony 79" 4k 3D LED).

I chose to start with Standard instead of Cinema 1 which so many others do.. I'll try tweaking Cinema 1 in the future, but for now I'm using standard. Also remember that every mode/input uses different settings, so you'll need to customize each separately. (i.e., even though my Satellite and Smart TV are both on INPUT 1, they still use different picture settings because it's in a different mode)

One thing you need to be sure to do is go into "Setttings" / "Preferences" / "Eco" / and turn your Light Sensor off... At night it made the TV way to dark.

Picture Mode: Standard
BackLight: 7
Picture: 85
Brightness: 55
Color: 60
Hue: 0
Color Temp: Warm 1
Sharp: 50
Noise Reducation: off
MPeG reduc: off
Dot Noise reduc: off
Reality Creation: Auto
Smooth Gradation: Off
MootionFlow: Standard
Cinemotion: Auto
---------------------------------
Advanced
Black Corrector: Low (some may like this higher for deeper blacks)
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off (some may like this on for more contrast pop)
Gamma +2
LED Dynamic Control: Standard
Auto Light Limiter: Medium
Clear White: off (this feature is cool though, will make white things pure white, even if using warm1 or warm 2 modes).
Live Color: Low
White Balance: (All 0's) though if someone has pro calibrated this, please share
Detail Enhancer: off
Edge Enhancer: off
Skin Naturalizer: on
Display Speed Preference: off

There ya go everyone.. Have fun and enjoy 4k!

OH One last thing, the 4k Upscalling on this TV is amazing, best I've seen.. Every show that is 1080 or 720 looks like 4k on this thing. It's seriously amazing compared to an 80" 1080p TV, you can get so close and see no compression or artifacting. standard broadcast 320 x whatever, still looks like crap in 4k just like it did in 1080p.
They all have edge bleed. If you don't have it yet don't worry you will. These tvs are garbage if you are even the slightest bit picky. I've had 3 and they all had the same problems so I guess your just extremely lucky. You get what you get with an edge lit tv
jberg918 is online now  
post #6305 of 6337 Old 08-26-2015, 03:06 PM
Member
 
xbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberg918 View Post
They all have edge bleed. If you don't have it yet don't worry you will. These tvs are garbage if you are even the slightest bit picky. I've had 3 and they all had the same problems so I guess your just extremely lucky. You get what you get with an edge lit tv
Interesting.. How long did it take before you got the bad edge bleed? How did you get them replaced through Sony warranty? Do you mean all Edge lit have this problem or only the Sony's? What did you end up doing with your TV? do you still have it?
xbones is offline  
post #6306 of 6337 Old 08-26-2015, 03:35 PM
Newbie
 
jberg918's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbones View Post
Interesting.. How long did it take before you got the bad edge bleed? How did you get them replaced through Sony warranty? Do you mean all Edge lit have this problem or only the Sony's? What did you end up doing with your TV? do you still have it?
I swapped 2 at best buy and the last one I got from another retailer. Sony stated they were in spec. I put the 900b in my 4 yr olds room and got a js9500
jberg918 is online now  
post #6307 of 6337 Old 08-27-2015, 12:32 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberg918 View Post
They all have edge bleed. If you don't have it yet don't worry you will. These tvs are garbage if you are even the slightest bit picky. I've had 3 and they all had the same problems so I guess your just extremely lucky. You get what you get with an edge lit tv
They are not garbage, far from it. In fact for $3.5k these are a steal. I paid $7k in January and although I would prefer local dimming, it is what it is. Unless you are buying this TV to look for imperfections, but to enjoy watching TV you will be happy.
heavyharmonies likes this.
Singha is offline  
post #6308 of 6337 Old 08-27-2015, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
heavyharmonies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Urbana, IL
Posts: 1,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singha View Post
They are not garbage, far from it. In fact for $3.5k these are a steal. I paid $7k in January and although I would prefer local dimming, it is what it is. Unless you are buying this TV to look for imperfections, but to enjoy watching TV you will be happy.
Yup. Year-old 4K sets are an insane value. Just last month I decided to get a year-old set for my living room after seeing the prices tumble. While I enjoy my 65X900B in my man cave, I opted to go the Samsung route for this one, buying a 2014 UN75HU8550 for $2,400, way down from its original $5,500 price. Aside from my being disillusioned with Sony over the Ultraflix debacle, and not needing built-in speakers on this one, the one thing that Samsung does that I REALLY like is the futureproofing via OneConnect. In all likelihood, had I been more aware at the time i bought my X900B, I might have gone Samsung at that point.

Regardless, when I look at what these sets cost versus the $5,000+ I paid for my Sony R70XBR2 back in 2007, these sets are a comparative steal by any measure. I do NOT miss dealing with convergence issues.

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
Sony XBR-65X900B
Samsung UN75HU8550 + SEK-3500U OCB

heavyharmonies is offline  
post #6309 of 6337 Old 08-27-2015, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ted99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I paid full boat when they first came out, and later got $1000 back from BB when the price dropped in my 45-day period. $3.5K is a steal. Agree completely on the upscaling. The panel is an IPS, which gives a wider viewing area than a VA panel, but the VA does blacker blacks. My Sony letterbox bars are a dark grey. The Samsung's are black. BTW, it's easy to hook up a wired powered sub, rather than the Sony wireless. Look in the manual for instructions for reassigning the headphone out to "sub".

Samsung UN75HU8550FXZA Mfg 3/01/2015, NovaTec chip, TS02 panel, SEK 3500 OCB in mancave
Sony XBR79X900B in Living room
Ted99 is online now  
post #6310 of 6337 Old 08-27-2015, 08:29 AM
Newbie
 
jberg918's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singha View Post
They are not garbage, far from it. In fact for $3.5k these are a steal. I paid $7k in January and although I would prefer local dimming, it is what it is. Unless you are buying this TV to look for imperfections, but to enjoy watching TV you will be happy.
Hey to each their own. If your happy with your TV then that's all that matters. I know my 4 yr old loves it
jberg918 is online now  
post #6311 of 6337 Old 08-27-2015, 11:44 PM
Senior Member
 
mitico303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Italy
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 72
guys, do you think that it's possible that Sony will launch an Ultra HD Blu-Ray player with Android TV this winter? I mean, first UHD Blu-Ray players are expected for the end of this year, and I'm pretty sure that Sony won't miss the opportunity to be one of the first to bet on this new technology.. and a Blu Ray Player with Android TV could be the definitive solution to have something like the 2015 series on our 2014 sets..

but maybe it's more a hope than a real possibility..

.. Sony KD-55X9005B ..​
mitico303 is offline  
post #6312 of 6337 Old 08-28-2015, 12:04 AM
Senior Member
 
spinachpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitico303 View Post
guys, do you think that it's possible that Sony will launch an Ultra HD Blu-Ray player with Android TV this winter? I mean, first UHD Blu-Ray players are expected for the end of this year, and I'm pretty sure that Sony won't miss the opportunity to be one of the first to bet on this new technology.. and a Blu Ray Player with Android TV could be the definitive solution to have something like the 2015 series on our 2014 sets..

but maybe it's more a hope than a real possibility..
Why would you want Android TV though?
spinachpie is offline  
post #6313 of 6337 Old 08-28-2015, 12:48 AM
Senior Member
 
mitico303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Italy
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinachpie View Post
Why would you want Android TV though?
because I think that it would be great to have a lot of useful apps, frome the google ones to all the others available in the Play Store..
And for YouTube in 4K..

.. Sony KD-55X9005B ..​
mitico303 is offline  
post #6314 of 6337 Old 08-28-2015, 07:13 PM
Newbie
 
hirevn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Alaska
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wow, 3500 is insane for the 79x900b being i just paid 5k (with 5 year warranty) but everything is more in Alaska lol. New guy here and just 2nd post, slightly bummed now that i read this thread and some calling the tv garbage. I guess I'm glad i paid for the 5 year warranty lol, hopefully i get a good one i guess. Still I'm excited to get it, should be here in a few days.
hirevn is online now  
post #6315 of 6337 Old 08-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Member
 
xbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirevn View Post
Wow, 3500 is insane for the 79x900b being i just paid 5k (with 5 year warranty) but everything is more in Alaska lol. New guy here and just 2nd post, slightly bummed now that i read this thread and some calling the tv garbage. I guess I'm glad i paid for the 5 year warranty lol, hopefully i get a good one i guess. Still I'm excited to get it, should be here in a few days.
Most of the reviews I have read for the TV are great, not garbage (people dont usually post if they are happy, only when they have issues.... I wouldn't worry, your TV will be awesome.. Vizio makes Garbage, not Sony.
steve1971 likes this.
xbones is offline  
post #6316 of 6337 Old 08-29-2015, 04:48 PM
Member
 
xbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitico303 View Post
because I think that it would be great to have a lot of useful apps, frome the google ones to all the others available in the Play Store..
And for YouTube in 4K..
That's what phones and tablets are for 80" tv's are for the BIG BOY movies!! LOL

BTW this tv comes with a youtube app that plays 4k video.
xbones is offline  
post #6317 of 6337 Old 08-29-2015, 04:51 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbones View Post
Most of the reviews I have read for the TV are great, not garbage (people dont usually post if they are happy, only when they have issues.... I wouldn't worry, your TV will be awesome.. Vizio makes Garbage, not Sony.
These TVs are not garbage. They are the best TVs on the market excluding FALD sets. You got a great deal at $5K or under.
Radvlad is offline  
post #6318 of 6337 Old 08-29-2015, 05:00 PM
Member
 
xbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
I paid full boat when they first came out, and later got $1000 back from BB when the price dropped in my 45-day period. $3.5K is a steal. Agree completely on the upscaling. The panel is an IPS, which gives a wider viewing area than a VA panel, but the VA does blacker blacks. My Sony letterbox bars are a dark grey. The Samsung's are black. BTW, it's easy to hook up a wired powered sub, rather than the Sony wireless. Look in the manual for instructions for reassigning the headphone out to "sub".
Page 178!! Thank you, great info there. Configure the headphone jack output.
xbones is offline  
post #6319 of 6337 Old 08-29-2015, 05:31 PM
Newbie
 
mcs72's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My apps are gone! Any idea? I tried to launch my amazon app and it didn't work. Then I saw the featured apps were missing and I looked at all apps. There were only like 5 apps. Any idea how I get them back?

Also any idea when 4k will be available on DirecTV?
mcs72 is online now  
post #6320 of 6337 Old 08-29-2015, 06:03 PM
Newbie
 
hirevn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Alaska
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I can't help with the apps as I have yet to receive my new set yet but as far as direct tv, I checked yesterday and says there is content available already with the genie dvr. I will be looking in to this further once my new set is here.
hirevn is online now  
post #6321 of 6337 Old 08-30-2015, 11:19 PM
Senior Member
 
mitico303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Italy
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbones View Post
That's what phones and tablets are for 80" tv's are for the BIG BOY movies!! LOL

BTW this tv comes with a youtube app that plays 4k video.
no, you're wrong: the 2014 Bravia 4K series can't play 4K videos from the integrated YouTube app. It was discussed a lot on this thread, but the maximum resolution available with the YouTube app is 1080p. they need VP9 codecs in order to play 4K videos from YouTube, and they're available only from the 2015 series..

However, it isn't just YouTube.. and i'm not talking about useless apps, i'm talking about apps for multimedia purpose: music streaming services (spotify, play music), video apps (like vimeo), a decent web browsing, cloud services, eccetera..

so why there's Android on the 2015 series?

.. Sony KD-55X9005B ..​
mitico303 is offline  
post #6322 of 6337 Old Yesterday, 04:43 AM
Member
 
jxhopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Wrong the 79 in this thread does YouTube as well as Netflix 4k.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
jxhopper is online now  
post #6323 of 6337 Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM
Newbie
 
mcs72's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My 2014 plays 4k YouTube.
mcs72 is online now  
post #6324 of 6337 Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
Senior Member
 
mitico303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Italy
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 72
how can you prove it?

.. Sony KD-55X9005B ..​
mitico303 is offline  
post #6325 of 6337 Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM
Member
 
xbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitico303 View Post
no, you're wrong: the 2014 Bravia 4K series can't play 4K videos from the integrated YouTube app. It was discussed a lot on this thread, but the maximum resolution available with the YouTube app is 1080p. they need VP9 codecs in order to play 4K videos from YouTube, and they're available only from the 2015 series..

However, it isn't just YouTube.. and i'm not talking about useless apps, i'm talking about apps for multimedia purpose: music streaming services (spotify, play music), video apps (like vimeo), a decent web browsing, cloud services, eccetera..

so why there's Android on the 2015 series?
After doing some research, the above may be correct. The current you tube app in the 2014 x900b series can play 4k videos.. However it might only be playing them in 1080.

I did some research and it turns out google has just recently starting forcing VP9 codec on all their 4k videos. This just happened in 2015, so all the 2014 and lower TV's didn't even know Vp9 existed therefore can't decode.

However you I did read you can manually download a youtube 4k video and play it via usb stick (or DLNA) to your tv to see True 4k (What I don't understand, if you download and it's still VP9 I don't see how that would work via usb.)

My main question is can't they just upload the VP9 codec via firmware update? I read somewhere that the VP9 codec has to be embedded in a special chip, but isn't that what firmware updates are for in the first place?

I'm not too concerned as the industry is pretty set on h.265 and only google (though a big player now that they own youtube) is promoting VP9.

Tests show VP9 encodes 2x as fast as H.265, however the compression quality and CPU usage of the decoding is negligible.
xbones is offline  
post #6326 of 6337 Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM
Senior Member
 
mitico303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Italy
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbones View Post
After doing some research, the above may be correct. The current you tube app in the 2014 x900b series can play 4k videos.. However it might only be playing them in 1080.

I did some research and it turns out google has just recently starting forcing VP9 codec on all their 4k videos. This just happened in 2015, so all the 2014 and lower TV's didn't even know Vp9 existed therefore can't decode.

However you I did read you can manually download a youtube 4k video and play it via usb stick (or DLNA) to your tv to see True 4k (What I don't understand, if you download and it's still VP9 I don't see how that would work via usb.)

My main question is can't they just upload the VP9 codec via firmware update? I read somewhere that the VP9 codec has to be embedded in a special chip, but isn't that what firmware updates are for in the first place?

I'm not too concerned as the industry is pretty set on h.265 and only google (though a big player now that they own youtube) is promoting VP9.

Tests show VP9 encodes 2x as fast as H.265, however the compression quality and CPU usage of the decoding is negligible.
in fact when sony unveiled the 2014 4K series at CES 2014 the demo sets was with a VP9 codec in "beta" version (you can find a post made by me with some pictures a lot of pages ago).. all of us we expected that it will be included in the definitive version of these tvs, but it's arrived only with this year series.. I think that our sets have the sufficient technology to support that codec, it's probably only a commercial choice from Sony, to push users to go with the new series instead the "old" one.. I'm pretty sure about that.... so they probably could add this codec, the problem is that they don't want..

BTW I often download 4K videos from YouTube (using 4K Video Downloader for Mac), and they can be played without problems via USB (and it's possible to confirm that they're in 2160p pressing the "info" button on the remote).. It's just less practicatl that an integrated YouTube 4K app..

.. Sony KD-55X9005B ..​
mitico303 is offline  
post #6327 of 6337 Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM
Member
 
xbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitico303 View Post
in fact when sony unveiled the 2014 4K series at CES 2014 the demo sets was with a VP9 codec in "beta" version (you can find a post made by me with some pictures a lot of pages ago).. all of us we expected that it will be included in the definitive version of these tvs, but it's arrived only with this year series.. I think that our sets have the sufficient technology to support that codec, it's probably only a commercial choice from Sony, to push users to go with the new series instead the "old" one.. I'm pretty sure about that.... so they probably could add this codec, the problem is that they don't want..

BTW I often download 4K videos from YouTube (using 4K Video Downloader for Mac), and they can be played without problems via USB (and it's possible to confirm that they're in 2160p pressing the "info" button on the remote).. It's just less practicatl that an integrated YouTube 4K app..
Thank you for that information. I will bet that until standards are set for 4k streaming, Sony will push their 2015 VP9 sets for sale purposes. However once a standard is set and they are on their 2016 or 17 models, they wont care about sales and go ahead and upload a VP9 firmware update for the older sets..

I don't they wouldn't want to upset their customers to not buy sony in the future.
xbones is offline  
post #6328 of 6337 Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM
Member
 
xbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitico303 View Post
in fact when sony unveiled the 2014 4K series at CES 2014 the demo sets was with a VP9 codec in "beta" version (you can find a post made by me with some pictures a lot of pages ago).. all of us we expected that it will be included in the definitive version of these tvs, but it's arrived only with this year series.. I think that our sets have the sufficient technology to support that codec, it's probably only a commercial choice from Sony, to push users to go with the new series instead the "old" one.. I'm pretty sure about that.... so they probably could add this codec, the problem is that they don't want..

BTW I often download 4K videos from YouTube (using 4K Video Downloader for Mac), and they can be played without problems via USB (and it's possible to confirm that they're in 2160p pressing the "info" button on the remote).. It's just less practicatl that an integrated YouTube 4K app..
I've been reading alot on VP9 and HEVC. Looks like the Standard is HEVC and VP9 will become like VP8 where as youtube will have to broadcast both codecs to reach mainstream.

However, I came across this which states all X900b series have VP9 codecs...

https://davidsusilouncensored.wordpr...s2014-decoded/
xbones is offline  
post #6329 of 6337 Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM
Member
 
jxhopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Google is working on vp10 right now. Cuts the bandwidth in half (vs vp9). Offers better dynamic range, wider color gamut, sharper image quality. Stb is probably the way to go. All TVs get obsoleted almost instantly and TV manufacturers like that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
jxhopper is online now  
post #6330 of 6337 Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM
Member
 
xbones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxhopper View Post
Google is working on vp10 right now. Cuts the bandwidth in half (vs vp9). Offers better dynamic range, wider color gamut, sharper image quality. Stb is probably the way to go. All TVs get obsoleted almost instantly and TV manufacturers like that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
I guess that what blue-ray players are for They will support all the codecs and you can just plug into your HDMI 2.0.. However shure the fk makes smart-tvs a stupid idea as they can't keep up with technology...
xbones is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off