"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-55X900B / XBR-65X900B / XBR-79X900B Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 563Likes

post #1981 of 4368 Old 06-06-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKidMAADCity View Post

OK guys I'm back to report in after I changed around a few setting and going through my blu ray collection. First thing I'd like to point out is how much better gaming is on this set compared to the 8550 I had. Next the colors! Wow..I'm blown away by the colors compared to the samsung. The picture may not pop as much or be quite as detailed but I just get more of a cinematic vibe when watching this tv. The motion handling also seems to be better. That's all I have for now. I may end up actually keeping this set.
good stuff. Keep it. Or hu9000. No compromise. Only 2 sets under 10k worth it. X900B is a beastly set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 4368 Old 06-06-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

A lot of sets do that with no HDMI signal that may not be unusual. The right way to test for that is a full screen solid color J peg image . In some cases you might notice the panel is full of mosquito noise also because it is dithering excessively and does not know what to do from a lack of sufficient chroma (color ) information .In any event with the panel properly tested you might see a better result and will know for sure .

OTOH hand if the banding is bothersome during normal programing or in a solid .Jpeg full screen image with a normal brightness level that of course is a different matter altogether and should be addressed. your panel does look awfully dark in the middle though so you might have something not right there
I would still check it with a Jpeg image though if that tests OK on a on light blue,grey or white you should be fine.

If you would like please see this post for more info. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1522857/official-2014-sony-xbr-55x900b-xbr-65x900b-xbr-79x900b-thread/1890#post_24797519

Too bad sounds like yours it out of acceptable parameters...... bummer . New set ,new thread here, I don't know if a lot of bad one's are out there or not ?

I know The 2013 1080p KDL XXR550a/R520a sets had a lot of bad panels judging by the owners thread here . A lot of folks had to get their sets replaced because of that .

the R550a/R520a were using 1080p LGD edge light panels I'm not sure what panel your set has could be an AUO or LG? I believe it is edge lit maybe one of the owner here can look in the servoce menu and get the panel version make and panel number then we could look up here http://www.panelook.com/modelsearch.php?op=advancedsearch

Of course none of this really matters Sony or the retailer needs to replace your set . good luck let us know what happens .
I'm sure Sony will take care of it even though I don't own this model I think these are terrific sets when you get a good one .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #1983 of 4368 Old 06-06-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by david(dallas) View Post

he posted because i asked him too, so settle down. i for one am here to learn as much about sony as i am about sammy and other 4K tvs.
i have owned a XBR2 and currenly own a sammy f8500. looking to move large into the 4k world this year and i want to know about all good possible solutions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post

thats your set from 2 years ago. Your assuming so much in what your saying. Thats just rediculious.
Quote:
Vinnie 97 wrote,
You two are wasting your time. Any slight hint of Sony LCD criticism and the defense shields go up to 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

Here we go again, is it Troll o'clock already???

If you even read my post I stated I owned an ES7500 which I recently sold as it was the worst piece of garbage I've ever purchased. Black levels were horrible, uniformity was the worst I've seen, I went through 3 panels, system updates that made my TV unusable and to top if off their customer support was the worst I've ever experienced bar none.

Yes I'm Sony biased but that's because their products are top drawer and their customer service is impeccable.

Don't hold back now ..............tell us how you really feel biggrin.gif

Must be a simple misunderstanding Vinnie 97 is an OK dude (unless you meant another poster was trolling ? could be the case ) V. 97 knows a lot also. New Set, New thread here and a lot of new members he had a point , there was some trash talk going on (not saying with you ) about Samsung vs Sony betwen a few other posters here . Knowing vinnie 97 he was probably just trying to warn you that's all . **** happens .

Nothing wrong with bringing up experiences with another set good or bad a long as they aren't trash talking the set or the brand the tread is about or another person's choice . Some people get hard about it when someone brings up another brand and feel like they have to defend their choices or trash talk f ing .stupid .

I've owned a few Sony's over the years they've all been very good the new one I have now is decent (that's why I bought it . ) but the build quality and panel selection + Quality control ain't what it used to be, they are letting defect panels get to market that never would have made to the stores a few years ago . ofc that could be said about a lot of brands . Not to mention Edge lit LCD panels in general seem to have higher defect rates than the older CCFL panels .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #1984 of 4368 Old 06-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot95 View Post

Dont get me wrong, i love the tv, but yes i can see around 4 or 5 lines of uneven light easily when a darkish or shaded color moves across the screen, its very noticeable playing video games, and ive noticed it a few times in the movies ive watched. Dont get me started on how obvious it is in 3d, some darker coloured scenes look bad because the banding breaks all immersion. Theres a particularly noticeable line of uneven light on the middle left side of the screen. I just want to know if anyone who has this set is experiencing this banding/DSE and if its normal thing with set model. I changed the backlight to 3 and put on scene select sync, its still just as noticeable, only not as bright. What i really want to know is how widespread the banding on this set is

My first set had some minor banding and DSE in the center of the screen.. have not noticed anything on my second. Mines a 55 inch.
post #1985 of 4368 Old 06-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post

thats your set from 2 years ago. Your assuming so much in what your saying. Thats just rediculious.

Really, so I'm assuming their software is still garbage, might want to go look at any of the f8000 or evokit forums and it looks like that's still the case. Gaming lag was higher than that of my x900, oh yep that's still the case. Customer service still ****, let's see what's the biggest complaint are on any Sammy thread....

Sorry but even if they made the best TV in the biz I would still not even care as their customer service was borderline criminal.
post #1986 of 4368 Old 06-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Must be a simple misunderstanding Vinnie 97 is an OK dude (unless you meant another poster was trolling ? could be the case ) V. 97 knows a lot also. New Set, New thread here and a lot of new members he had a point , there was some trash talk going on (not saying with you ) about Samsung vs Sony betwen a few other posters here . Knowing vinnie 97 he was probably just trying to warn you that's all . **** happens .

Nothing wrong with bringing up experiences with another set good or bad a long as they aren't trash talking the set or the brand the tread is about or another person's choice . Some people get hard about it when someone brings up another brand and feel like they have to defend their choices or trash talk f ing .stupid .

I've owned a few Sony's over the years they've all been very good the new one I have now is decent (that's why I bought it . ) but the build quality and panel selection + Quality control ain't what it used to be, they are letting defect panels get to market that never would have made to the stores a few years ago . ofc that could be said about a lot of brands . Not to mention Edge lit LCD panels in general seem to have higher defect rates than the older CCFL panels .

I'm sure he's a knowledgeable guy but he might want to learn how to properly address someone here before sounding like an ass. All's fair though, no harm done.
post #1987 of 4368 Old 06-06-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

Really, so I'm assuming their software is still garbage, might want to go look at any of the f8000 or evokit forums and it looks like that's still the case. Gaming lag was higher than that of my x900, oh yep that's still the case. Customer service still ****, let's see what's the biggest complaint are on any Sammy thread....

Sorry but even if they made the best TV in the biz I would still not even care as their customer service was borderline criminal.
what the heck are you on man?
post #1988 of 4368 Old 06-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post

awesome. I thought I was the only one who liked the brightness up.

I know technically it's "wrong" since it's not 6500K but it sure looks good. smile.gif
Mrorange303 likes this.
post #1989 of 4368 Old 06-06-2014, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post

I know technically it's "wrong" since it's not 6500K but it sure looks good. smile.gif

Any chance you can share your settings Carlos? I'm really curious as to what some of the other owners here use and how that compares to my own.biggrin.gif
post #1990 of 4368 Old 06-07-2014, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Carlos E wrote,
I saw the settings and didn't like them. I think Cinema Warm 1 and 2 is too dark. I set mine to Standard, Neutral then ran the Disney Wow disc then ran THX Tune Up.
Quote:
Carlos E wote,
I know technically it's "wrong" since it's not 6500K but it sure looks good.

You are on the right track here is agood article on color temp http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-tv-color-temperature-and-why-does-it-matter/
Standard mode or Cinema mode and Neutral color temp should be close to 8 bit rec .709 D65 HDTV ATSC color temperature that is the correct specification for HDTV content . and is close to 6500K ofc it has to measured with a coloromiter to verify the accuracy I never do that and don't own a colorometer. Nothing wrong with a professional instrumented calibration though .

Some pre sets are too far off Cool Color Temp and Vivid Picture Mode comes to mind they push blue ,a lot of people like that and it makes the picture look brighter . TV makers have displayed sets for years like that, again blue push makes them look brighter .

D65 color temp is also correct for 10 bit rec 2020 4K , UHD 3840 × 2160. Rec. 2020 also uses Illuminant D65 for the white point.

ofc set it how YOU like it you paid for it ! not how a reviewer sets his set unless you like those settings .

I like my sets bright also
I usually prefer a neutral color temp and Cinema mode on TV and Movies
*with the Brightness and Contrast (picture) adjustments set to maximum* within Cinema mode .
Otherwise like you say the color temp is to warm (pushes red) and the contrast and brightness are way to low in Cinema mode ,easy to fix though.
Sonys always push red at warm color temp. I avoid it and cool pushes blue to much and can sometimes skew a lot of other colors .

Standard mode + neutral color temp is good also I have that mode set up a little different than Cinema for bright daytime viewing although when you crank up the brightness and Contrast in Cinema mode it is very bright also with the advantage being more accurate colors ,details and shading for TV and movies especially good in the evening but still bright . YMMV set it how you like it for your room and enjoy it.

You can customize most of the settings as allowed in each mode to your liking in all the different modes and have several set ups and just toggle the scene select as needed

They can each be set back to factory settings within each mode
(reset) it only re sets the mode you are in at the time .

good luck
Carlos_E likes this.

post #1991 of 4368 Old 06-07-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post

Not taking sides but this is a true story. The Sony rep was moving a bunch of Samsung's away from the Sony sets in a roll of TVs. The salesmen told me that the Sony rep was upset because they ran Sony demo loop on a Samsung 4k set and the picture was so much better that the person who was about to purchase a Sony switched to the Samsung. I can confirm to you I did see the Sony rep orchestrating the moving of the Samsung sets and replacing them with non 4K Sony's, which does validate the Sales rep story.
At the end of the day we all know that there are to many variables in the store. Even if one looks better at that moment, that does not mean much. However most do not know this so Samsung would sell more tv's in that environment tongue.gif Smart move Mr Sony guy......
post #1992 of 4368 Old 06-07-2014, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybbq View Post

Any chance you can share your settings Carlos? I'm really curious as to what some of the other owners here use and how that compares to my own.biggrin.gif

+1

After have reading this thread for a while I have come to conclusion that the community is split in 2 camps – One that wants/wish to have a 100% calibrated TV – The other as they like/use it...

I Think there is so many situations – like windows in the room? Day or night? Type of watching... Now I have had the set for over a week but still tweeks around a bit... But is interested to see others settings as well...

post #1993 of 4368 Old 06-07-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 881
For those not used to 6500K, it's generally suggested you live with it for 1-2 weeks without looking back at other settings. At the end of that period, take a look at the settings you previously liked and you may be surprised.

Often, those people that thought they didn't like 6500, upon seeing their previous settings will say, "I was watching THAT picture???". Of course others might still go back after a 1-2 week trial period and still prefer the cooler look. But if you never try the 6500 for a period of time, you'll never know. Rarely do people, who are used to very cool color presets, see the 'correct' 6500 and like it immediately.
rlindo and Mattopotamus like this.
post #1994 of 4368 Old 06-07-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

For those not used to 6500K, it's generally suggested you live with it for 1-2 weeks without looking back at other settings. At the end of that period, take a look at the settings you previously liked and you may be surprised.

Often, those people that thought they didn't like 6500, upon seeing their previous settings will say, "I was watching THAT picture???". Of course others might still go back after a 1-2 week trial period and still prefer the cooler look. But if you never try the 6500 for a period of time, you'll never know. Rarely do people, who are used to very cool color presets, see the 'correct' 6500 and like it immediately.

Very good point. I like it for most things outside of hockey.
post #1995 of 4368 Old 06-07-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

Exactly. Too often people who have been watching with the super blue colour temps check out what an accurate image looks like and say "blah, too yellow!" or "too red!" and just switch back not realizing what the super blue temp has done to their brain wiring. When they do stick it out and their brain has time to adjust they realize the correct look is fantastic and as you said, they'll have that type of reaction if they ever see the original way too blue look again.
Mattopotamus likes this.

ROB
post #1996 of 4368 Old 06-07-2014, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I will not start a new diskution about Kelvin etc. but as I understand it Warm to Cold is basically Yellow to Blue and that is only half of it – Green to Magenta is not in play here ?

However I'm used to calibrated computer monitors at D65 and Photoshops LAB colors... I only summing it up in we all have different tastes.

post #1997 of 4368 Old 06-07-2014, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Tubetwister & Carlos E,would you guys mine sharing your settings.I also like the bright look.Trying to figure out how to get a slight overall greenish tint out,skin tones,yellows,grays.

Thanks

post #1998 of 4368 Old 06-07-2014, 09:58 AM

Liked: 10
Hey guys how does the upscaling work for games?

For instance if the game renders at 1080p/60fps does it upscale to 4K/60fps? My question is does only upscale the resolution but keep the original frame rate untouched?
post #1999 of 4368 Old 06-07-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbadone View Post

Hey guys how does the upscaling work for games?

For instance if the game renders at 1080p/60fps does it upscale to 4K/60fps? My question is does only upscale the resolution but keep the original frame rate untouched?

Do the game systems support 60fps/HDMI 2.0? The TV will upscale it to 4k, but I think only 30fps
post #2000 of 4368 Old 06-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Thought I'd post my settings... I haven't properly calibrated my set, just started with the standard preset and went from there.

Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 5
Picture: Max
Brightness: 50
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 1 - Nice balance between Neutral and Warm 2
Sharpness: 50
Noise Reduction: Off*
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off*
Dot Noise Reduction: Off*
**** Set to auto or low on Cable or other less than optimal sources ***

Reality Creation: Auto
Smooth Gradation: Low
Motionflow: Clear or Clear plus or Impulse *
*If you can handle the flicker, Impulse is the best option here followed by clear plus and clear but at a trade off with brightness. Jacking the Backlight and Contrast to max is still very watchable thanks to the x-tended dynamic range.
CineMotion: Auto

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector: medium
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: off / medium*
For cable I find the Contrast enhancement helps with some low end sources. For Movies I tend to leave it off as it does over enhance levels quite a bit.

Gamma: -2 / 0*
Source dependent, try both and see if you get any clipping on black.

LED Dynamic Control: Standard
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
White Balance: unchanged
Detail Enhancer: low
Edge Enhancer: medium*
I find this does in fact make a difference with the overall sharpness of the image but probably artificially but I like it smile.gif

Skin Naturalizer: Off

I'll post my game mode settings after calibrating tonight.
Carlos_E, jonnybbq and mitico303 like this.
post #2001 of 4368 Old 06-07-2014, 10:56 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post

Do the game systems support 60fps/HDMI 2.0? The TV will upscale it to 4k, but I think only 30fps

PS4 has HDMI 1.4, let's say playing FIFA 14 on PS4 and the game is 1080p/60fps, will it only upscale to 4K/30fps because of PS4 doesn't have HDMI 2.0?
post #2002 of 4368 Old 06-07-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbadone View Post

PS4 has HDMI 1.4 Let's say playing FIFA 14 on PS4 and the game is 1080p/60fps will it only upscale to 4K/30fps because of PS4 doesn't have HDMI 2.0?

I am not 100% sure. I know it cannot do 4k/60 though without hdmi 2.0 support.
post #2003 of 4368 Old 06-07-2014, 10:58 AM

Liked: 15

[IMG]
Carlos_E likes this.
post #2004 of 4368 Old 06-07-2014, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-valentino View Post

[IMG]

I like your stand, may I ask we do you get it???

post #2005 of 4368 Old 06-07-2014, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:

Thanks for the show of support, but digimat and I have a history in this thread (you can plainly see who initiated the namecalling going back about a week). Ignorelist was the best solution for everyone involved (but that doesn't prevent one from seeing quoted posts).
post #2006 of 4368 Old 06-07-2014, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Thought I'd post my settings... I haven't properly calibrated my set, just started with the standard preset and went from there.

Thanks digimat!
post #2007 of 4368 Old 06-07-2014, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post

I am not 100% sure. I know it cannot do 4k/60 though without hdmi 2.0 support.

You guys are confusing hdmi and upscaling. Any signal sent to the the tv will be upscaled to 4k/60or30. Which means if you send a 1080p/60 signal that will be upscaled to 4k. And you dont need hdmi 2.0 because 1.4 can already carry 1080p60 easily. And as long as that gets to the tv it will be upscaled. The upscaling begins AFTER the signal gets to the tv so it has nothing to do with hdmi.
You need 2.0 only to send a 2160p60 signal. Unfortunately the ps4 doesnt support sending that signal (yet atleast). In future though any devices that support the 4k60p signal should be compatible with both 2013/2014 sets.
Hopefully i was clear (and right). smile.gif
post #2008 of 4368 Old 06-07-2014, 01:05 PM

Thanks Digimat!.I'll give your settings a try,in my view Sony sure has improved the upscaling & depth on the new X900

post #2009 of 4368 Old 06-07-2014, 01:27 PM

Found this 4k video downloader, free(ads).Downloaded a few 4k videos from YouTube,transferred videos to my Usb thumb drive.Have to say the 4k videos look fantastic,especially the videos of the different cities http://www.4kdownload.com/products/product-videodownloader

post #2010 of 4368 Old 06-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 5
Picture: Max
Brightness: 50
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 1 - Nice balance between Neutral and Warm 2
Sharpness: 50
Noise Reduction: Off*
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off*
Dot Noise Reduction: Off*
**** Set to auto or low on Cable or other less than optimal sources ***

Reality Creation: Auto
Smooth Gradation: Low
Motionflow: Clear or Clear plus or Impulse *
*If you can handle the flicker, Impulse is the best option here followed by clear plus and clear but at a trade off with brightness. Jacking the Backlight and Contrast to max is still very watchable thanks to the x-tended dynamic range.
CineMotion: Auto

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector: medium
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: off / medium*
For cable I find the Contrast enhancement helps with some low end sources. For Movies I tend to leave it off as it does over enhance levels quite a bit.

Gamma: -2 / 0*
Source dependent, try both and see if you get any clipping on black.

LED Dynamic Control: Standard
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
White Balance: unchanged
Detail Enhancer: low
Edge Enhancer: medium*
I find this does in fact make a difference with the overall sharpness of the image but probably artificially but I like it smile.gif

Skin Naturalizer: Off

I'll post my settings after I return from the gym tonight.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page