"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-55X900B / XBR-65X900B / XBR-79X900B Thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 545Likes

post #2071 of 4324 Old 06-08-2014, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post

I joined the Sony 65900B team today, Sorry, I think the people in the Shootout are wrong. I tried a Samsung 60F8500 plasma, the blacks during the day turned into greys. Then there was a buzzing so investigated and the back of the Plasma was 130 degrees Fahrenheit . OLED are incredible, I have not a bad word to say about them 55" just was not giving me the hometheater experience. Yes I know I have posted some negative about the Sony 4K sets ( some maybe just trying to talk myself out of it) but to me the 900B and 950B are masterpieces of technolgy and design. And if you like something else, like plasma, enjoy I have actually tried them all and am sticking with my 65X900B. So for HDTVAV smile.gif

LMAO...

I humbly accept your apology!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 4324 Old 06-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

I joined the Sony 65900B team today, Sorry, I think the people in the Shootout are wrong. I tried a Samsung 60F8500 plasma, the blacks during the day turned into greys. Then there was a buzzing so investigated and the back of the Plasma was 130 degrees Fahrenheit . OLED are incredible, I have not a bad word to say about them 55" just was not giving me the hometheater experience. Yes I know I have posted some negative about the Sony 4K sets ( some maybe just trying to talk myself out of it) but to me the 900B and 950B are masterpieces of technolgy and design. And if you like something else, like plasma, enjoy I have actually tried them all and am sticking with my 65X900B. So for HDTVAV smile.gif

eek.gif Too damn funny! Congrats man! Hope you enjoy the hell out of it.

BTW, let me know if you see any blobs in the Media player app or on gray test screens.
post #2073 of 4324 Old 06-08-2014, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Vegas oled,

Cool I found the Moving Art Website they have 4K streaming Videos up at Netflix including the one in the picture above I'm assuming that was what is in the picture OFC they will look very good in 1080p as well and likely display in 1080p Netflix Super HD on supported TV's and devices .

Those with Roku ,Smart TV or other devices can probably find these in search within the Netflix app or a Search on Roku OR just use your PC and put in your Netflix watch list like I just did cool.gif
Quote:
Available exclusively through Netflix, this 4-part series, presented in Ulta HD 4K, captures the beauty and majesty of Deserts, Flowers, Oceans and Forests, accompanied by a soaring soundtrack by Ludovico Einaudi, Johann Johannsson, and Gary Malkin.

link : http://movingart.com/now-available-on-netflix/

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #2074 of 4324 Old 06-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

You might want to post this in the thread you started titled "4k sets can't compete" haha ... are you sure you're not in politics ? smile.gif

Lets hope you keep this one for more than a couple days...
post #2075 of 4324 Old 06-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post

I'm referring to the Media Player app. I see two blobs on the left and the right. Is this where you see it on your? I went to 2 Best Buy stores and tested theirs and I didn't see anything on the two in store. Mind you, watching a blu-ray or regular TV I do not see the blobs.

This screen:

Really hard to tell anything with all the reflections man... I looked at mine this afternoon and couldn't find any trace of it anymore... maybe it has to be warmed up for awhile?
post #2076 of 4324 Old 06-08-2014, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

The Moving Art stuff on Netflix looks so bananas! It's how I demo the set when folks come over biggrin.gif
post #2077 of 4324 Old 06-08-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybbq View Post

The Moving Art stuff on Netflix looks so bananas! It's how I demo the set when folks come over biggrin.gif

Cool I posted links in the Netflix Streaming Quality Thread here I didn't put any on the TV screen yet but I probably will soon. I just looked at them briefly on the PC at 2560 x1600 16x10 Watching the new episode of Halt and Catch Fire ' on AMC right now on the Sony in here (one of 5 TV's ) in the house
Sometimes 4K videos look very good in 1080p also because they are not likely to be to bit starved (for a streaming video )

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #2078 of 4324 Old 06-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

Really hard to tell anything with all the reflections man... I looked at mine this afternoon and couldn't find any trace of it anymore... maybe it has to be warmed up for awhile?

This isn't a photo of mine. I can't capture the blobs in a photo. I posted this photo so you could see which app I was talking about.
post #2079 of 4324 Old 06-08-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:

I look forward to seeing what you replace the X900B with in a few days.
Carlos_E, RiED27880 and Vegas oled like this.
post #2080 of 4324 Old 06-08-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 757
Vegas, so now that you've done a 180, what's your 'current' position of the black levels on the 900a in a darkened room?
post #2081 of 4324 Old 06-08-2014, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is anyone else having problems with crosstalk on 3d? I feel like the 3d on this set leaves a lot to be desired?
post #2082 of 4324 Old 06-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

So I have a question here. When you say you see it in the Media player app, can you clarify that? I say that because I've played a few of my 4K videos shot by my 4K camera at local BB stores with the Experience Centers. At least when using the Media player app that way, I didn't notice the clouding in my videos.

I see it at the home screen of the Media Player app on the bottom dark gray portion where the list of preview icons display. With content playing I do not see the blobs. I only see it in the Media App and on shades of gray test screens.

I'm considering an exchange because I checked two X900Bs at a Best Buy store and I did not see it on either the Media Player app or with the test screens I brought with me. I'm just unsure if I should do an exchange. Other than the blobs I recently noticed my X900B is flawless.

The photo below is of the app.

post #2083 of 4324 Old 06-08-2014, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Carlos_E wrote
I'm considering an exchange because I checked two X900Bs at a Best Buy store and I did not see it on either the Media Player app or with the test screens I brought with me.

Without seeing the TV or picture with maybe a light blue or white full screen image ( a less severe test than grey) it's hard to say .

OTOH you should expect a set as least as good as the other ones in the store no? They can re sell yours as open box if it is not bad.

post #2084 of 4324 Old 06-08-2014, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I was almost 100% set on getting this TV but I'm starting to second guess myself.  This TV (like my 60NX810) seems ideal to me in a basement home theatre with no other light sources.  I'm going to be moving in a few weeks to a condo with lots of windows and an open concept living room/dining room/kitchen.  Although there are no windows that will directly face the TV, there will be some on a 90 degree angle as well as other light sources.  I'm kind of worried about glare... Just looking at the set in the store with other light sources around makes it seem almost impossible to avoid the glare.  Even with my current set in a more dedicated living room, if watching it during the day I can quite easily see my reflection in it.  It seems like it will likely be even worse in my new place.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem or if it really isn't that bad at home.  Although I really want to get a Sony, I would consider getting the Samsung 9000 flagship instead.

post #2085 of 4324 Old 06-08-2014, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

LMAO...

I humbly accept your apology!

Is that reflections on the top of the screen, or is it really bad vertical banding?..... Just wondering, i hope its reflections
post #2086 of 4324 Old 06-08-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:

Meant to quote this
post #2087 of 4324 Old 06-08-2014, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:

eek.gif Too damn funny! Congrats man! Hope you enjoy the hell out of it.

BTW, let me know if you see any blobs in the Media player app or on gray test screens.

I purchased the old 4k streamer and it will not work with the new TV. To bad only $125 but il will have to purchase the new one.
post #2088 of 4324 Old 06-08-2014, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot95 View Post

Is that reflections on the top of the screen, or is it really bad vertical banding?..... Just wondering, i hope its reflections

I think I have some banding but not that bad. Yes my place is a tough on for any display, the only sets that have dealt with this bright room are the OLED and the 65900B. The Samsung F8500 plasma did not do very well with washed out blacks and overheating issues.
post #2089 of 4324 Old 06-08-2014, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Vegas, so now that you've done a 180, what's your 'current' position of the black levels on the 900a in a darkened room?
. The OLED are king of blacks. I cannot speak much about the 900A because it's really hard to evaluate a set in the store. The blacks on the 900B are not jaw dropping but the size is, They are much better than the 850B, the local dimming does a lot. I love OLED, just the 55" size is small, I replaced my xbr8 with the OLED and have a Sony LCD in the room so I am a Sony buyer. I have tried them all and the OLED are hard to live without, no plasma compares, the blacks stay black in a bright room on an OLED, on a plasma they turn grey. The 900B is an excellent bright room display that's for sure.
post #2090 of 4324 Old 06-08-2014, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

I look forward to seeing what you replace the X900B with in a few days.
. It's hard to live without OLED and I did notice some banding. What are people's thoughts on the uniformity of this set? Is this something that should be replaced or just part of life with a LCD?

post #2091 of 4324 Old 06-08-2014, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

There isn't audio jack, VGA or HDMI input. There is a PC/HDMI input.

Thanks Carlos, so strange that they changed it from this image you posted previously:
LL

As far I can work out, there's no way to make the speakers part of a 5.1 system, having the PC audio jack input would have made it possible (to serve the audio as well as HDMI video signal).
post #2092 of 4324 Old 06-09-2014, 12:09 AM

Quote:

. It's hard to live without OLED and I did notice some banding. What are people's thoughts on the uniformity of this set? Is this something that should be replaced or just part of life with a LCD?

Not as bad as mine

If I were you I would keep the one you have, im going to exchange mine though
post #2093 of 4324 Old 06-09-2014, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not as bad as mine

Quote:

Not as bad as mine

Wow, that is bad. Mine looks bad when I watch the YouTube home page screen with grey back ground. Shame to have this issue, theses are not cheap sets.
post #2094 of 4324 Old 06-09-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:

Wow, that is bad. Mine looks bad when I watch the YouTube home page screen with grey back ground. Shame to have this issue, theses are not cheap sets.

Tell me about it, i even showed sony these pictures and they said " it looks within specifications" and i thought are you serious?!

Theres no way this is normal, i bought it from a sony centre, guess im going to have to haul it over there and demand a replacement or refund
post #2095 of 4324 Old 06-09-2014, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tell me about it, i even showed sony these pictures and they said " it looks within specifications" and i thought are you serious?!

Theres no way this is normal, i bought it from a sony centre, guess im going to have to haul it over there and demand a replacement or refund

Be careful, is it a 65? The 65 is a beast to move. I saw some banding on a 65x950 at Best Buys, $8,000 and still banding. The 4k LG. i saw at Frys had the worst banding I have ever seen, visible with blue sky's.
post #2096 of 4324 Old 06-09-2014, 12:36 AM

I think the 950B would be a perfect set if it werent for the banding people are reporting, im honestly surprised a full array local dimming tv from sony has banding issues in this day and age
post #2097 of 4324 Old 06-09-2014, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

Banding to some degree or another seems to be endemic to almost all LCD sets that are out there. Some have it worse than others but I can see it on a good portion of them.
I had a "flagship" 2009 Sharp LE700 Full-Array LED that had a moderate case of banding and called Sharp's CS about it. They had me send pics, and replied that it looked within spec.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #2098 of 4324 Old 06-09-2014, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If you only see it on a specific screen and not normal viewing, I wouldn't worry about it. This board is just OCD in most cases.
Ken Ross likes this.
post #2099 of 4324 Old 06-09-2014, 04:53 AM

Here you go, normal viewing

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=15ewbk6&s=8#.U5WfnlA_7qA

( hope thats the right link)

Anyway its really bad, cant watch 3D because the DSE/banding is so bad
post #2100 of 4324 Old 06-09-2014, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 64

very first personal impressions:

Picture quality: I have to admit that waiting to receive my set I was a little bit worried about some considerations read about the black levels of this X9B, not good as the A series. maybe it's true, but the actual sensation when you watch something on this TV is the opposite: the black is incredibly black, and this is possible thanks to the new improved brightness. All the images looks extremely bright, with wonderful colors, and all of this simply with backlight set, for example, to 5, when with my "old" A model to have the same brightness I had to set it to the maximum level. I think that this is the bigger improvement from the 2013 series. If you loved the picture quality on the A model, with this new set you can't do anything but fall in love again. Incredible, really incredible. No clouding on my set, even watching images with elevated contrast like credits of a movie. perfect!

4K upscaling: I think that also the upscaling system has received a big improvement. Full HD contents, or even only 1080i contents, are really next to the 4K resolution, more than it was on the last year series, already excellent. very very nice. Also SD and 720p pictures looks better.

2D-3D: didn't try it yet, but one thing is sure: finally there's no way to see the scan lines like on the A models due to the passive panel. I don't know what you thought, but they were very visible for me (probably because I had a 55" X9A and I wear prescription glasses). other thing that I do not know is if active 3D is better than passive 3D, but at least those lines will not bother me anymore..

Sound: the speakers sound really good! even without the external subwoofer, there's a big improvement from the last year series. more powerful bass, clear highs and better "surround" simulation, for a TV speaker system. 

Multimedia: I like the new "smart" interface. It seems that Sony has revised the entire multimedia part, with better performance and lower loading times. I expected more from the "Football" feature and Social View, but it's ok. 
moreover, the possibility to play 4K content via USB is priceless.

I really, really love it.

(sorry if my english isn't perfect..)

Ken Ross and Carlos_E like this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page