"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-55X900B / XBR-65X900B / XBR-79X900B Thread - Page 79 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 663Likes

post #2341 of 4909 Old 06-13-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
So if that's the case, you're assuming the 79" will have significantly less 'pop' than the 65"?
Ken,
Good question ,Not necessarily IMO after some thought if they use a more transmissive screen ,more and brighter LED's and color saturation in addition to the Triluminos back light and better anti glare coatings on the 79"

It is true that VA panels generally offer better native blacks and contrast (native being the key here ) but Sony seems have some work arounds to make the LGD panels (cells actually ) they use with 4K Reality X Pro and
X-tended Dynamic Range look pretty decent.

Ordinarily with LCD I might expect the smaller screen with a VA panel to have a better picture in most cases especially if both are FALD/Triluminos
although IIRC Triluminos extended color gamut will only display on deep color 4K content.

On less expensive sets the advantages of VA panels (aside from view angle ) are usually more apparent with all things being equal to me anyway.

Only way to tell for sure is instrumented measurements and or calibration or maybe just have to look at both of them with a good eye to be sure.

I'm sure however you already know all this and probably more

regards

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-13-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 4909 Old 06-13-2014, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
Ken,
Good question ,Not necessarily IMO after some thought if they use a more transmissive screen ,more and brighter LED's and color saturation in addition to the Triluminos back light and better anti glare coatings on the 79"

It is true that VA panels generally offer better native blacks and contrast (native being the key here ) but Sony seems have some work arounds to make the LGD panels (cells actually ) they use with 4K Reality X Pro and
X-tended Dynamic Range look pretty decent.

Ordinarily with LCD I might expect the smaller screen with a VA panel to have a better picture in most cases especially if both are FALD/Triluminos
although IIRC Triluminos extended color gamut will only display on deep color 4K content.

On less expensive sets the advantages of VA panels (aside from view angle ) are usually more apparent with all things being equal to me anyway.

Only way to tell for sure is instrumented measurements and or calibration or maybe just have to look at both of them with a good eye to be sure.

I'm sure however you already know all this and probably more

regards
I noticed Sony added * ESTIMATED SHIP DATE 07-01-2014 below the 79X900B today. Does anyone know who might have this on display in Southern California when its released? I'm very interested in it but I would like to view it first (since there very well may be differences vs the 65X900B). Thanks
Ken Ross and Janibrewski like this.
post #2343 of 4909 Old 06-13-2014, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
I like the 900B but now as one review, one shootout and my own set has proved, the 900B has uniformity issues. I do not want another bad panel and the samsung I had was a buzzing plasma, I will go 65 or 75 8550.
We tend to drive ourselves crazy with audio / video nervosa when the fact is there is no such thing as perfect. All these TVs from any manufacturer you care to mention have minor imperfections. The real question is, do you feel immersed in the movie when it is showing? I personally never use cable / sat TV to judge as the broadcasts are so compromised to begin with. Use blue-ray or 4k. If it wows you then forget all this stuff we normally massively exaggerate about.
Rf13 and Vegas oled like this.

Last edited by OShag; 06-13-2014 at 11:51 PM.
post #2344 of 4909 Old 06-13-2014, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 709
A tip from the Sony TV rep is always use Motionflow clear. Also if you want to see how well the Reality Creation works, pause a frame with a face in the center. Now turn it on and off while looking at the persons eye. He did some other demo showing how Motionflow works, amazing but he had specific video clips to look at.
nishant786 likes this.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 06-14-2014 at 12:07 AM.
post #2345 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hodge View Post
I noticed Sony added * ESTIMATED SHIP DATE 07-01-2014 below the 79X900B today. Does anyone know who might have this on display in Southern California when its released? I'm very interested in it but I would like to view it first (since there very well may be differences vs the 65X900B). Thanks
I'd like to see one too, SoCal or NorCal. I half hope I hate it so I won't be tempted to spend so much on a TV.
post #2346 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
A tip from the Sony TV rep is always use Motionflow clear. Also if you want to see how well the Reality Creation works, pause a frame with a face in the center. Now turn it on and off while looking at the persons eye. He did some other demo showing how Motionflow works, amazing but he had specific video clips to look at.
Hey Vegas, so whats the scoop on your final decision...to keep or trade & get the Samsung...How many days you got left before you cannot return your 900B? Are your arms getting tired from massaging the 900B or you looking to massage a Samsung instead, cuz you know that set I heard likes a good massage as well. I'm getting dizzy too on your bipolar 4k conundrum! Joking. lol
Ken Ross likes this.

What we will be is not what we are, what we are is not what we were...therefore hoping in all things becomes possible.
post #2347 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
Hey Vegas, so whats the scoop on your final decision...to keep or trade & get the Samsung...How many days you got left before you cannot return your 900B? Are your arms getting tired from massaging the 900B or you looking to massage a Samsung instead, cuz you know that set I heard likes a good massage as well. I'm getting dizzy too on your bipolar 4k conundrum! Joking. lol
That just shows you how good the Sony is or I would have had it returned days ago. Exchange is not an option, I believe that all the 900B have the issue and I do not want a worse one.

Whether I keep it or not, it is a great set.
post #2348 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugedownload View Post
I hope you don't return the HU9000 but you most likely will you have to keep adjusting the image all the time based on what device is hooked up to it. I have been down that road. The sony X900B is by far a greater TV.
why is the Sony FAR better? Please list facts not feelings. Thanks for your help.
post #2349 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
why is the Sony FAR better? Please list facts not feelings. Thanks for your help.
I do not know how motion is on Samsung but I can attest to the fact it is superb on the Sony.
post #2350 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYMER DAXTER View Post
Hi everyone.

Here is a great French test : http://www.hdfever.fr/2014/06/13/test-sony-kd-65x9005b/
The setting in this review worked out excellent for me,
post #2351 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
If you live near a Best Buy with a Sony Experience area, the 79" X900B is going to go on display where the 65" X950B is currently located. Not sure on an exact date, but making an educated guess. I'd say you can probably expect a staggered rollout of these 79" displays from early-mid July to possibly early Aug. Checking the in-store inventory system provides an availability date of July 9th so you will likely see these in stores around/after that.
Janibrewski likes this.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sony 32" W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Panamax MR4300
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
+ Sony 65" XBRX850B, Sony BDP-S5100
post #2352 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
Did you wait for the firmware update to finish before turning the TV on? During the firmware update the TV shows a spinning update logo and turns on and off a few times. You may have turned it back on while it was still applying the update.
I waited for it to finish. The set did turn itself on and off a few times. Then it started flashing red 3 times at regular intervals at which point I turned it back on and it said the updates were successfully uploaded.
post #2353 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked: 1660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibrewski View Post
I'd like to see one too, SoCal or NorCal. I half hope I hate it so I won't be tempted to spend so much on a TV.
I know it's not you, but your comment is why many come to various threads for displays and equipment they have no interest in, for the sole purpose of shooting it down. They either don't want to spend the money on it or can't.

Last edited by Ken Ross; 06-14-2014 at 06:08 AM.
post #2354 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That just shows you how good the Sony is or I would have had it returned days ago. Exchange is not an option, I believe that all the 900B have the issue and I do not want a worse one.

Whether I keep it or not, it is a great set.
Prediction: You will return the Sony. You then may or may not get the Samsung. If you do, you'll return that within a week after vigorous massaging. You'll then decide to sit back and wait for something else that has yet to arrive.

In the interim, you'll massage your wallet and credit cards.
Stereodude, westa6969 and timc1475 like this.
post #2355 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Updates reset the 900B back to factory settings?

When I first got the set I did a little tweaking with the Disney WOW dvd and I have an ISF tech coming out to calibrate it on the 23rd. After I used the Disney dvd I downloaded the first update for the set and was warned by the set that all settings afterwards would revert back to the factory settings. I went ahead with the update anyway and sure enough the settings did change back. So what happens after I get this thing ISF calibrated and download another update? I would not consider doing another update again unless it was going to benefit the picture overall.
post #2356 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macahan View Post
When I first got the set I did a little tweaking with the Disney WOW dvd and I have an ISF tech coming out to calibrate it on the 23rd. After I used the Disney dvd I downloaded the first update for the set and was warned by the set that all settings afterwards would revert back to the factory settings. I went ahead with the update anyway and sure enough the settings did change back. So what happens after I get this thing ISF calibrated and download another update? I would not consider doing another update again unless it was going to benefit the picture overall.
I too would like to know the answer to this. It js something that has always prevented me from paying for a calibration.
post #2357 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
I like the 900B but now as one review, one shootout and my own set has proved, the 900B has uniformity issues.
All LED's will have uniformity issues to some degree. The "good" FALD sets will do the best though. Some panels are worse than others. There is no such thing as a perfect TV, it does not exist.
Janibrewski and Vegas oled like this.
post #2358 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

3D report: worthless, my eyes ached and my head started to hurt within minutes I had to remove the glasses and turn it off. Compare to the LG OLED where I watched an entire movie without any discomfort.

If you like 3D and are bothered by active 3D run from this TV as fast as you can.
post #2359 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Quote:
I too would like to know the answer to this. It js something that has always prevented me from paying for a calibration.
All you need to do is write down all your settings.
Janibrewski likes this.
post #2360 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
Quote:
All you need to do is write down all your settings.

Some Menus are accessed that you cannot get to without equipment.
post #2361 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

.[/QUOTE]
All you need to do is write down all your settings.[/QUOTE]

Some Menus are accessed that you cannot get to without equipment.[/QUOTE]

I do not believe this to be the case like in the past. Check with the person who is going to calibrate the TV.
post #2362 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Smile Callibration

Hi Guys, my 55X900B arrives later this week in the UK, and I got the subwoofer free as part of the deal. Can't wait.

Just wondered if anyone could recommend picture calibration and sound settings to save me the LOADS of time I usually waste whenever I upgrade my TV!

Be massively grateful if anyone out there fancies posting lists...
post #2363 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
Quote:
If you live near a Best Buy with a Sony Experience area, the 79" X900B is going to go on display where the 65" X950B is currently located. Not sure on an exact date, but making an educated guess. I'd say you can probably expect a staggered rollout of these 79" displays from early-mid July to possibly early Aug. Checking the in-store inventory system provides an availability date of July 9th so you will likely see these in stores around/after that.
Thanks! I am close to South Coast Plaza and that Best Buy has the experience center and there is a Sony store in the mall. I will check it out when it arrives.
post #2364 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I know it's not you, but your comment is why many come to various threads for displays and equipment they have no interest in, for the sole purpose of shooting it down. They either don't want to spend the money on it or can't.
LOL luckily most posts are people giving their honest opinions. I love this site.

For me it's often head vs. heart, and I've found I'm usually happier when I let my heart win.

In this case heart says 79" Sony. Head says 70" Sony or 80" Sharp Q+. Wallet says Vizio or lower level Sharp, but I never listen to that guy.
post #2365 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
LOL luckily most posts are people giving their honest opinions. I love this site.

For me it's often head vs. heart, and I've found I'm usually happier when I let my heart win.

In this case heart says 79" Sony. Head says 70" Sony or 80" Sharp Q+. Wallet says Vizio or lower level Sharp, but I never listen to that guy.
Lol
post #2366 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Remember, if you want true UHD, you won't get it with the Sharp.
post #2367 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I wish you all the best. After my severe headache from watching active 3d went away, I ran back to OLED where I will never again leave.
God Bless LG

Last edited by Vegas oled; 06-14-2014 at 07:51 PM.
post #2368 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:

Take a photo or write down all of your settings just in case.
post #2369 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYMER DAXTER View Post
Hi everyone.

Here is a great French test : http://www.hdfever.fr/2014/06/13/test-sony-kd-65x9005b/
The setting in this review worked out excellent for me,

Where are the settings?
post #2370 of 4909 Old 06-14-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Remember, if you want true UHD, you won't get it with the Sharp.
I'm not a big believer that UHD is coming my way (I mostly watch DirecTV) anytime soon - I just want to feel happy every time I turn on the TV. Or even walk past it. Sony XBR TVs usually do that for me.
DRaven72 likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page