"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-55X900B / XBR-65X900B / XBR-79X900B Thread - Page 82 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 584Likes

post #2431 of 4527 Old 06-17-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
I am not saying it Is bad like on the LG I saw but it is there. In fact when the Sony rep tried to show me his display did not have it we found it. It is not a deal breaker and very minor. We also did see it at Fry's. The Shootout had it and some of the reviews have noticed it. You can always see it in the You Tube app, I never did see it in any content. I did have some DSE in content.
Seeing it in an app would be meaningless to me as long as it was rarely present in actual material. As I've said before, even my old FALD, Sony 929 had the dimming shut off in certain app screens. It looked bad during those times, but actual content was fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 4527 Old 06-17-2014, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Im still trying to debate if I should switch out my set for another. I first noticed how bad my clouding was when I launched the youtube app. I also notice clouding and light bleed going down the right edge of my panel. I have no noticeable banding though. Im paranoid of exchanging my set and getting a worse panel that has banding. Can anyone offer me any advice? Has anyone else switched out their set and had more luck the second time?
post #2433 of 4527 Old 06-17-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You guys should worry about how the PQ is with real content, not how it looks with an app screen.
post #2434 of 4527 Old 06-17-2014, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
You guys should worry about how the PQ is with real content, not how it looks with an app screen.
I do notice mine with real content. Its nots horrible, but now that Iv noticed it I can't stop focusing on it.
post #2435 of 4527 Old 06-17-2014, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKidMAADCity View Post
Im still trying to debate if I should switch out my set for another. I first noticed how bad my clouding was when I launched the youtube app. I also notice clouding and light bleed going down the right edge of my panel. I have no noticeable banding though. Im paranoid of exchanging my set and getting a worse panel that has banding. Can anyone offer me any advice? Has anyone else switched out their set and had more luck the second time?
I've had two both had bleed and clouding in the app. All LCD will have it to some extent.
post #2436 of 4527 Old 06-17-2014, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
I do notice mine with real content. Its nots horrible, but now that Iv noticed it I can't stop focusing on it.
Exchange it, if you can see it during content either you have great vision or it is worse than it should be. You paid a lot of money and deserve a top quality display.
post #2437 of 4527 Old 06-17-2014, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Seeing it in an app would be meaningless to me as long as it was rarely present in actual material. As I've said before, even my old FALD, Sony 929 had the dimming shut off in certain app screens. It looked bad during those times, but actual content was fine.
Sony could easily send down an update to these 4k sets to address this very issue. It would be quite possible to put an image on every app screen, just like most computer desktops have, then these anomalies would never be even seen in the discernible degree they currently are.

Bear in mind such issues are typically inherent in LCD/LED technologies and edge lit backlights to some degree & such issues are quite normal...

Every technology has it's issues even OLED = heat / limited lifespan compared to LCD's / burn in worry / price etc. Choose your pros and cons that suit your specific needs. Perfect displays in every category do not exist, and they never will.

1) Sony programmers create update for app backgrounds.
2) Users download.
3) Done.
4) Next issue please.

What we will be is not what we are, what we are is not what we were...therefore hoping in all things becomes possible.

Last edited by timc1475; 06-17-2014 at 11:53 PM.
post #2438 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
I have banding on mine and it is the worst. If you only see your clouding with no content I would not worry about it. Banding will ruin your whole viewing experience.
post #2439 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I watch "Break Bad" on Netflix since they have it in Ultra HD now, but I don't know why the max resolution I can get is 1080 HD, why can I get 2140HD? I had tested my network and it was 50 mbps down and 11 mbps. I also using Cat6 wire connect directly to the tv still get the same resolved. Does anyone know why?

Even with the 1080P display is look really awesome, I just wonder if my display is wrong @1080p or maybe it is right and I could gone higher????
post #2440 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Nguyen View Post
I watch "Break Bad" on Netflix since they have it in Ultra HD now, but I don't know why the max resolution I can get is 1080 HD, why can I get 2140HD? I had tested my network and it was 50 mbps down and 11 mbps. I also using Cat6 wire connect directly to the tv still get the same resolved. Does anyone know why?

Even with the 1080P display is look really awesome, I just wonder if my display is wrong @1080p or maybe it is right and I could gone higher????
What season did you try? I have seen mixed reports saying it is every season in 4k and others saying only the most recent season. Try an episode from this past season and see what it says.

Considering house of cards is only season 2, it would not surprise me if it was only the newest season.
post #2441 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
What season did you try? I have seen mixed reports saying it is every season in 4k and others saying only the most recent season. Try an episode from this past season and see what it says.

Considering house of cards is only season 2, it would not surprise me if it was only the newest season.
I was watching the 1st season, I also tested House of Card 1st season too and I got the same thing. You might be right, I will test it out with the latest season tonight. Thank you
post #2442 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugedownload View Post
Here is the review of the Minix X8-H with a LG 4k model. I can't wait to start using this for my 4K NEEDS!!!. I will post a review with the Sony X900B when I receive it from china post.

http://youtu.be/dy80sMlB5lI
Have you buy this yet? does it work with XBMC? I watched "A Million Way to dies" on my ipad yesterday and the quality was DVD quality, if this thing work with XMBC, I will buy it. Thank you
post #2443 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Have you buy this yet? does it work with XBMC? I watched "A Million Way to dies" on my ipad yesterday and the quality was DVD quality, if this thing work with XMBC, I will buy it. Thank you

I believe that video specifically mentions it works with XMBC
Dat Nguyen likes this.
post #2444 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
Sony Canada must work differently because my replacement sets have been brand new...
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post
I think you were getting screwed from your local sony store. I'm in canada and both my replacement 900bs have been new in box.
Maybe Canada's laws defining what "New" is could be different from U.S.. I don't have a local Sony Store. I bought it through the Sony Store Online Site.
http://store.sony.com/televisions/ca...id-Televisions#
All of the replacements were shipped from Chicago. Sony tried to tell me they were using recycled boxes is why it was not in an original new box. My answer was then why was it taken out of the original box in the 1st place. The second replacement box actually had XBR 65X900B on the sticker on the outside. She just ignored my question and said "sir these are new TV's" Not buying it!

CPTuell
" I'm a man, I can change, If I have to......I guess."
Words to live by. From the Red Green Show...The Man's Prayer
post #2445 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:

I was able to watch Breaking Bad in 2160p via WiFi. Have you tried WiFi instead of wired?
post #2446 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was watching the 1st season, I also tested House of Card 1st season too and I got the same thing. You might be right, I will test it out with the latest season tonight. Thank you
House Of Cards season 2 is 4K. Not season 1. Also try Ghost Busters and Smurfs 2. Both are in 4K on Netflix.
Dat Nguyen likes this.
post #2447 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
i would try what Carlos and the others said, but most of the time its not your connection. Its Netflix's connection to your ISP, which is supposed to be a dedicated link that they paid for if you have Comcast or Verizon. although it doesn't always work that way during peak times so try other shows or restart the app if none of that works, its definitely Netflix there connection to most ISPs is no where near as fast as yours.
Dat Nguyen likes this.
post #2448 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
I was able to watch Breaking Bad in 2160p via WiFi. Have you tried WiFi instead of wired?
I had tried both, and both were in 1080p only. but when I test the speed with the apps that come with the TV, it say I have 17mbpg down, not sure is that the problem.
post #2449 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post
According to Digital Versus...
... ...
Here is the link to the review of the 65" model:
http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-tele...ml#full-review
Earlier in this thread was some trashing about a cheaper panel used (vs. x900A) :
Quote:
Although the X9005B doesn't use exactly the same screen panel as the X9005A, Sony certainly hasn't changed supplier. The X9005B uses a panel made by AU Optronics but with a Sony reference number (YD4S650LTU0101). The Edge LED backlighting system does, however, come directly from Sony.

And I can understand why they not use "Quantum Dots" in this years model – An extended color space sounds cool – But the input material is due to follow the standard...
post #2450 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post
Wow thats crazy.. 55 and 65 are active in the X900B and then the 79 is Passive.. Concerning but nice maybe ?
I personally would take passive all day, everyday. Active gives me a headache........

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #2451 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Figured I would stop in and give everybody an update on my XBR-55X900B. I am soooo glad I did the swap from my 850A. This is truly what I was looking for out of a 4K TV. Any type of gaming I throw at it, wether it be the PS4, XB1 or PC I notice no detrimental lag. I am a fan of active 3D as it does not bother my eyes, so I think the 3D on this set is actually SUPERIOR to any other active 3D I have ever experienced. I have only done some minor tweaks to the picture as suggested by some fellow AVS'ers and have no noticeable problems with light bleed, flash lighting, clouding or banding. While my 900B did come in one of those red Sony labeled boxes, I can assure you it is new as a close family member of mine works for Sony Corp. based in San Diego, California and he assured me it would be new. In fact they hauled away my old 850A in the same box (may be the reason why). No problems to report, just soaking up as much 4K content as possible, and can't wait 'til they release the World Cup footage on the 4K media player. U.S.A, U.S.A!!!!!! Lol.
Carlos_E likes this.
post #2452 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I had tried both, and both were in 1080p only. but when I test the speed with the apps that come with the TV, it say I have 17mbpg down, not sure is that the problem.
20Mbps is required for 4K streaming. Your connection is too slow. Call your Internet provider and request a faster speed tier.

"To get the highest quality Netflix experience in Ultra HD 4K, we recommend available bandwidth of at least 20Mbps. This provides enough throughput for the stream, which is about 16Mbps, plus headroom for service variability."
Dat Nguyen likes this.

Last edited by Carlos_E; 06-18-2014 at 12:22 PM.
post #2453 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
20Mbps is required for 4K streaming. Your connection is too slow. Call your Internet provider and request a faster speed tier.
i believe he said he has a 50 Mbps connection. speed test are misleading as they only tell you the speed between you and in his case Sony's servers which are slow. Nguyen i would run your ISP's speed test or speedtest.net will be a better indicator. if you cant run it in the browser try from another device thats connected to Ethernet
Dat Nguyen likes this.
post #2454 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf13 View Post
i believe he said he has a 50 Mbps connection. speed test are misleading as they only tell you the speed between you and in his case Sony's servers which are slow. Nguyen i would run your ISP's speed test or speedtest.net will be a better indicator. if you cant run it in the browser try from another device thats connected to Ethernet
If the on screen speed test is significantly slower than what he is rated for then that is the speed the TV is getting. I would swap out ethernet cables, change WiFi channels or possibly move the WiFi router location to see if he can increase internet speeds to the TV.
post #2455 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 117
As long as Dat has access to 2.4 GHz wireless n speed or better, there really is no reason to hardwire the TV vs using wireless, since the theoretical limit of wireless n is over 100 mbps, much faster than his internet speed.

You really only see the benefit of wired over wireless if you are doing intranetwork transfer, such as streaming from a local fileserver (or perhaps online gaming, where ping gives a big advantage). I stream 4k wirelessly from my TV without a problem, and most others should as well. There is some other issues at play here.
Carlos_E likes this.
post #2456 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If the on screen speed test is significantly slower than what he is rated for then that is the speed the TV is getting. I would swap out ethernet cables, change WiFi channels or possibly move the WiFi router location to see if he can increase internet speeds to the TV.

If he's using cat6 that's only possible if something's wrong with the cable. The devices connected to Ethernet get priority over wifi devices. Since this tv has a NIC capable of atleast wireless N that rules out a lot. It geos back to what I said he did a test using a different device and got full up/down speeds. Since this tv is like most sony products locked into they're speed test most time they won't show the true speed. I have a 105/10mbps connection over wifi to my ps3 and 4 both have a link speed of 104mbps and 56 DBM signal strength. The test shows no more than 20 Mbps on my devices always. Sonys speed test isn't an accurate measurement. Wired connection I've seen worse numbers, with my signal strength the actual throughput is more than likely way more than 20mbps. Lower than 40dbm is perfect without much interference. I believe it's just a netflix issue
Dat Nguyen likes this.
post #2457 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I personally would take passive all day, everyday. Active gives me a headache........
3D gives me a headache in the movies or at home. If they left it out of every display from this point forward, I'd never miss it.
Carlos_E likes this.
post #2458 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf13 View Post
And it also only takes a 15 Mbps connection. They just recommend at least 20 so it does not change between 4k and 1080p
post #2459 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
And it also only takes a 15 Mbps connection. They just recommend at least 20 so it does not change between 4k and 1080p
They change the recommended speed from 15Mbps to 20Mbps minimum. They changed it last month.

That would explain why Dat can get 17Mbps from the TV's speed test app and only get 1080p from Netflix.
post #2460 of 4527 Old 06-18-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They change the recommended speed from 15Mbps to 20Mbps minimum. They changed it last month.

That would explain why Dat can get 17Mbps from the TV's speed test app and only get 1080p from Netflix.
That is what I mean. They changed the recommended settings, but you only need 15.6 Mbps for it to actually work.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page