"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-55X900B / XBR-65X900B / XBR-79X900B Thread - Page 91 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 423Likes

post #2701 of 3731 Old 06-28-2014, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Don't feel bad, it was caught before delivery. Just an example of how fragile these sets are and why the extra few dollars for white glove delivery might be worth it. The box does not have to be damaged for a set to be damaged during delivery.
Vegas are you at it again buddy?!?!? I thought you gave up 4k and were a str8 OLED man... LOL Which unit and size is this one now? We could write a comedy / horror book or movie on all your experiences with TV's these recent years. As the saga continues let us know, cuz it is fascinating, really!
Ken Ross likes this.

What we will be is not what we are, what we are is not what we were...therefore hoping in all things becomes possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 01:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by timc1475 View Post
Vegas are you at it again buddy?!?!? I thought you gave up 4k and were a str8 OLED man... LOL Which unit and size is this one now? We could write a comedy / horror book or movie on all your experiences with TV's these recent years. As the saga continues let us know, cuz it is fascinating, really!
Never would have returned my 900B if not for the banding.
post #2703 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 04:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke6 View Post
Sorry guys. Its been a busy evening as I have guests arriving tomorrow. Not much time to play.

My brief initial impression is that the picture is fantastic. I found that using custom mode with Warm2 color temp gives you a picture that's extremely well calibrated out of the box. Black levels are excellent, and I've got a hard time believing this is an edge lit LCD. I'm also very happy with the motion handling. Much better than all of the other large displays I've looked at. Sony really has done a great job from what I can see.

I can't really comment on 3D unfortunately. This display is mounted in our kitchen / family room area and isn't really for movies. We have a dedicated theater room for that. In this space we watch a lot of sports, news and the kids use their PS4 so that's what this TV will be tasked with.

I will try to post a pic or two tomorrow.
This is great news as the 79" was on my 4K short list. There has been much discussion if this display would have black levels that suffered due to the nature of the different panel. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Just out of curiosity, what was your prior display and how were its black levels?

Congrats Deke!
post #2704 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 04:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Never would have returned my 900B if not for the banding.
A vague response that I'll interpret as a 'yes'. I've actually lost count as to how many you've gone through. What makes no sense to me, is that you were saying how there was no banding with the Samsungs, the one thing that always bugged you about Sony, and yet here you are with another Sony.
timc1475 likes this.
post #2705 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
A vague response that I'll interpret as a 'yes'. I've actually lost count as to how many you've gone through. What makes no sense to me, is that you were saying how there was no banding with the Samsungs, the one thing that always bugged you about Sony, and yet here you are with another Sony.
I think the CNET review pushed him back to the Sony.
post #2706 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 06:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I took a few rushed photos around midnight last night. Unfortunately we have guests at the house,we're doing a major renovation, and I'm not on vacation. Bad combination of things so I doubt I'll have much time in the coming week for photos.

These were taken on a Nikon D800 using a tripod and a 24-120 F4 for convenience. No post-processing has been done other than resizing the image and whatever the hell these image hosting companies do to the jpegs. The first is the pure grey screen, which unfortunately has a focus issue that I didn't pick up on at the time. It was very dark in the room and the bias lights were unplugged.

The edge light test is exposed for the screen. I took a second pic with some bias lighting on and overexposed a bit to make an approximation for what I thought it looked like in the room. The extreme dynamic range of these shots makes it very hard to capture everything.

I hope these are helpful enough. Again I apologize for the quality.

My previous display was a Panasonic plasma for the fellow who asked. It's black levels were excellent but not Kuro quality. It was used in a similar environment and reflections were a major problem. I haven't had the set long enough to fully judge whether the XBRs blacks are as good as the plasma, but my gestalt impression is that it is certainly close enough to keep me happy.

Quote:
Many here are curious about the 3D on this set and you said more or less you were not using it for that, and that was that. But c'mon really?
Not "more or less". I'm not using it for 3D at all. I've been around for enough winters that I've seen 3D come and go a few times in various forms. I have absolutely no interest in it for front projection or fixed panel.

Some people use their equipment to view content. Others seem to use content to view their equipment, if you take my meaning. I'm in the former category. I appreciate that everyone wants as perfect a product as one can get, particularly given the price points of the upper tier products. With the current generation of products I think many of the better displays fall into the "good enough" category.

Enjoy the soccer today folks.
post #2707 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
What's interesting is that he raves about his OLED and attacks me for even asking questions about OLED that other owners are happy to answer and don't get defensive about. He accuses me of being a "Sony Fanboy", since I ask questions over in the OLED thread. The 77" OLED is also on my 4K short list. Yet he keeps coming back to Sony and, ironically, it's me that hasn't owned a Sony for many years aside from a brief stint with a 929.

So despite having OLED, he seems drawn to Sony.
post #2708 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Derek, it was me that asked about your prior experience with black levels. Thanks for the pix. It's funny, the first shot makes the screen almost look like a curved screen. It might be barrel distortion in the lens you used?

But the pix are excellent for an LED. Looks like Sony did something right here. I do see a bit of flashlighting on the right, middle side. I'm not sure how visible (if at all) this is with actual program content.

Looks like the 79" may be moving up on my short list.
post #2709 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Not "more or less". I'm not using it for 3D at all. I've been around for enough winters that I've seen 3D come and go a few times in various forms. I have absolutely no interest in it for front projection or fixed panel.
Hey, does your cable or Sat company have a 3-D channel? (Most do.) Maybe you could pop that on real quick and shut us up before you throw your glasses in the trash?
timc1475 likes this.

'Best comment on one of my AVS reviews ever, "What did I just try to read!" Latest -'Oh, no, they say he's got to go' or 'The man in the rubber directors suit':
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-mov...l#post24741865
post #2710 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I hope these are helpful enough. Again I apologize for the quality.
Thanks for taking the time to run these tests and posting the results! Both the uniformity test and the edge light test show excellent results. Your photographs do not reveal any problems. It seems like the 79X900B is an excellent set: no backlight issues, 4K, passive 3D, great sound, Sony processing, and a massive 79" screen. What's not to like?

Quote:
Enjoy the soccer today folks.
I hope I will enjoy it. I'm Dutch, and we're on in less than 2 hours against Mexico!
post #2711 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So guys...I bit the bullet and moved up to the 65X950B from the 65X900B...They came and swapped out the sets yesterday. Overall I like the 950B alot better. More thoughts to come, but I do have one question regarding picture quality. I have been watching Arrow recorded on my TiVo Roamio Pro and I notice in dark scenes the picture seems to alternate between grainy and smooth in certain areas of the scene. I am not sure if this is due to a bad source, I am running TiVo through my Denon AVR to the TV, or if there is a picture setting that is causing this or can fix it. It is hard to explain, but I noticed this on the 900B as well, it is alot less distracting on the 950B though. Anyone know what this is? I am going to post this in the 950B thread as well as I noticed it on that set as well.
post #2712 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Just had my 79X900B delivered today. Haven't really had a chance to do much with it yet but it does look rather imposing when wall mounted. Hopefully I can get some rudimentary calibration done on the weekend.
sweet, guess that means we will get getting ours in real quick.......
post #2713 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post
So guys...I bit the bullet and moved up to the 65X950B from the 65X900B...They came and swapped out the sets yesterday. Overall I like the 950B alot better. More thoughts to come, but I do have one question regarding picture quality. I have been watching Arrow recorded on my TiVo Roamio Pro and I notice in dark scenes the picture seems to alternate between grainy and smooth in certain areas of the scene. I am not sure if this is due to a bad source, I am running TiVo through my Denon AVR to the TV, or if there is a picture setting that is causing this or can fix it. It is hard to explain, but I noticed this on the 900B as well, it is alot less distracting on the 950B though. Anyone know what this is? I am going to post this in the 950B thread as well as I noticed it on that set as well.
Who is your cable provider? Does it do it on all TV shows on that channel, all channels or only Arrow?

I noticed some graininess with my TiVo Roamio Pro and got rid of it by swapping out the HDMI cable and removing the port replicator. Give it a try.
post #2714 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You guys are funny, nobody said I went back to Sony.
post #2715 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

So despite having OLED, he seems drawn to Sony.
I owned a Sony for years and at one point was the biggest Sony fan you will find. I never said the 900B was not a great set, Mine had banding. I would never buy an LG or Samsung 4K set (no matter how good) because neither offers a 4k player.
post #2716 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi deke6

World Cup.......do you have banding with your 79'?
post #2717 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda steffen View Post
Hi deke6

Similarly. I wonder if it is something wrong with the world cup broadcast. I have no banding during NFL, golf, or hockey. Just the world cup and it seems like everyone does.
post #2718 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Hi deke6

Horrible banding. The pitch looks like it has alternating shades of light and dark green about 5 yards wide.

On a serious note though, no, I haven't noticed any banding during the games, and I'm now on my 4th knockout game of the weekend with Costa Rica v Greece underway. I have been watching a 720p satellite feed (Bell ExpressVu) almost exclusively and I haven't seen any artifacts. I think I have all of the motion processing turned off as I don't think it's necessary with this set.

If you can explain what you're seeing I'll keep my eye out in the coming days and report back.
Ken Ross likes this.
post #2719 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Similarly. I wonder if it is something wrong with the world cup broadcast. I have no banding during NFL, golf, or hockey. Just the world cup and it seems like everyone does.
I haven't seen banding during the Wold cup broadcasts.
post #2720 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferro View Post
I hope I will enjoy it. I'm Dutch, and we're on in less than 2 hours against Mexico!
Well congratulations mate. Wonderful game today and a fair result I think. Fair play to Mexico, as they played their system extremely well save for the last five minutes.

The current game is bland by comparison. Watching the Greeks is always a soul-crushing experience. Its amazing the way they can suck the fun and excitement completely out of the beautiful game.
ferro likes this.
post #2721 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
sweet, guess that means we will get getting ours in real quick.......
REF: XBR-79X900B
Yup, & prolly more than a few well deserved orders too! Your stature on these forums is getting elevated Chris (:~D You know I suspected the IPS panel would have less banding & uniformity issues than the VA panels used in the 900B's smaller siblings of the same series. A prior poster strutted about like a Rooster squawking how inferior this panel would be compared to the VA's may of just ate some delicious humble pie. Want some whipped cream' with that? lol

Kudos also to the battery free 3D glasses for passive 3D viewing is a bonus for me. I don't like to worry whether some lamoid batter will croak on me mid movie, or my company saying the same. BTW, you should all know that Sony actually even uses IPS panels as their professional grade monitors in their studios.

How cool it would be if this set had a review, hint hint? Tic toc, tic tok fast forward maybe by the 3rd or 4th quarter another killer review could be warranted with the Vizio 65" RS / LG 77" OLED 4k & the Sony 79" 900B oh my how yummy!

Special thanks to CP /CAV for their efforts with the prior reviews btw. That had to of been a lot of work gents IMO!

Cheers!

What we will be is not what we are, what we are is not what we were...therefore hoping in all things becomes possible.

Last edited by timc1475; 06-29-2014 at 01:52 PM.
post #2722 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
I haven't seen banding during the Wold cup broadcasts.
I'm convinced now this banding is present on all of these Sony X900B / X950B sets...Aside from maybe the 79" since it is a different panel. It has something to do with the grayscale uniformity or something. Only certain programming really brings it out...I've seen it on both the 65X900B and now my 65X950B...Something to do with grayscale uniformity/streakiness I imagine...
timc1475 likes this.
post #2723 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I owned a Sony for years and at one point was the biggest Sony fan you will find. I never said the 900B was not a great set, Mine had banding. I would never buy an LG or Samsung 4K set (no matter how good) because neither offers a 4k player.
Well Samsung does have plans for a 4K store as I recall. Not as extensive as Sony, but at least they're addressing it. Not the case for LG, Toshiba and Panasonic...at least as far as I know.
post #2724 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hi deke6

Not every 65 has banding, I have seen The World Cup on a 65900B with zero visible banding. It's just up to the panel lottery and if your lucky or not. I even put the color to zero which would have brought out any banding and I could not see any.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 06-29-2014 at 02:35 PM.
post #2725 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
REF: XBR-79X900B
Yup, & prolly more than a few well deserved orders too! Your stature on these forums is getting elevated Chris (:~D You know I suspected the IPS panel would have less banding & uniformity issues than the VA panels used in the 900B's smaller siblings of the same series. A prior poster strutted about like a Rooster squawking how inferior this panel would be compared to the VA's may of just ate some delicious humble pie. Want some whipped cream' with that? lol
Yes, but keep in mind that most were concerned about what would happen to black levels with the IPS panel. Those, at least from this initial report from Derek, seem excellent. This could be a real winning 4K set.
post #2726 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Want this tv in the worst way. Does anyone know about the next 4k movie player sony is making? Will it be strictly hdmi for video, sound ? Or will it have digital audio out ? Reason i ask my receiver won't do 4k through so ill have to run straight to tv. I checked sonys site but couldn't find anything. Any help is helpful
post #2727 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 62
if the 79X900B has all the benefits of IPS, with its improved viewing angles & passive 3D, along with the excellent sony triluminos technology, it could very well be the large 4K TV to beat.

Also, there's a good chance it's a 10-bit panel if it came from LG. I only wonder if it's got a full spec HDMI 2.0 port. That would be the final missing piece.

On that note, would the 79X950B use the same panel?
post #2728 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by farminfool View Post
Does anyone know about the next 4k movie player sony is making? Will it be strictly hdmi for video, sound ? Or will it have digital audio out ? Reason i ask my receiver won't do 4k through so ill have to run straight to tv. I checked sonys site but couldn't find anything. Any help is helpful
The new FMP-X10 will connect the same way the X1 did. You will need to homerun the player to the TV and then use the second HDMI output (which is audio only) to your receiver.

X-10:
Inputs and Outputs
USB 2.0 : 2 (1 Front, 1 Rear)
Ethernet : Up to 3840 x 2160/60p
HDMI™ Audio Output(s) : 1 (Rear)
HDMI™ Video Audio Output(s) : 1 (Rear)

Lee
post #2729 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^ I don't believe there is a 79X950B. There's only the 55", 65" & 85" 950Bs with FALD.
post #2730 of 3731 Old 06-29-2014, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post
I'm convinced now this banding is present on all of these Sony X900B / X950B sets...Aside from maybe the 79" since it is a different panel. It has something to do with the grayscale uniformity or something. Only certain programming really brings it out...I've seen it on both the 65X900B and now my 65X950B...Something to do with grayscale uniformity/streakiness I imagine...
What source material do you see banding on? I'll give it a try and tell you my results.

Last edited by Carlos_E; 06-29-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page