41Likes

post #271 of 688 Old 08-10-2014, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman4oz View Post
I noticed only one slight band, but only when the screen was white, so it was not a problem. What Was a problem...while the TV was great, the Sound was great, and the 3D was great...the Internet access was Awful! NOT being able to use a keyboard makes it unbearable, hunting and pecking with the remote, one letter at a time!!?
No thanks!
I returned the set and got a Samsung, with a wireless keyboard included!

^^X^^
Thanks for the reply! That does sound like a pain for anyone that would want to use the net. Me personally it will mainly be used for gaming and watching movies/tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 688 Old 08-11-2014, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hi

I bought a 60 kdl 550 in February of this year(2014) and the screen went bad. sony now sent me a refurnished screen from Sharp and teh screen manufactured date is september of 2013.

I am essentially getting a used screen with prior problems and who knows if this was a demo screen with 1000s of hours of use.

buyer beware as this is how sony will treat their customers

horrible
post #273 of 688 Old 08-11-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qncyk View Post
hi

I bought a 60 kdl 550 in February of this year(2014) and the screen went bad. sony now sent me a refurnished screen from Sharp and teh screen manufactured date is september of 2013.

I am essentially getting a used screen with prior problems and who knows if this was a demo screen with 1000s of hours of use.

buyer beware as this is how sony will treat their customers

horrible
Wow...That is just awful man sorry to hear that! All I can do it just hope nothing happens to mines outside of the normal crap everyone else is going thru.
post #274 of 688 Old 08-18-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anybody gotten anywhere with the 3D crosstalk issue? I have the 60" and am loving it so far except for the 3D. No issues with banding like some have experienced and uniformity is pretty good. I've gotten an excellent picture with the Disney WOW Disc and some various settings I've seen online but am still having issues with 3D. Anybody have any ideal settings that work better? I've only tested with 3D content from my media library, nothing yet from Blu Ray. Please share your findings.
post #275 of 688 Old 08-18-2014, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I currently have a Samsung UN55D7050 and Im thinking about switching to the the KDL 70W850B. Stationed overseas, our choices are limited. Is this a worthy upgrade? I use my to watch movies via Apple TV and for games on PS4 and XB One.
post #276 of 688 Old 08-19-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRock View Post
I currently have a Samsung UN55D7050 and Im thinking about switching to the the KDL 70W850B. Stationed overseas, our choices are limited. Is this a worthy upgrade? I use my to watch movies via Apple TV and for games on PS4 and XB One.
This TV is excellent for gaming. Have my XB1 hooked up and there's zero lag and no blur. The default gaming mode requires virtually no tweaking. Don't have Apple TV but have my WDTV Live hooked up and after a lot of setting changes, 1080p content looks excellent.
post #277 of 688 Old 08-22-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRock View Post
I primarily play xb1 and ps4 on this set also so far its awesome! no complaints here.
post #278 of 688 Old 08-25-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just received my brand new Sony KDL-60W850B tv as a warranty replacement for an older set. There is a dead pixel (I think dead green subpixel that shows up as black on green, pink on white, invisible on red, black on blue, etc.) in the upper left quadrant. It's noticeable within 4 to 5 feet but not at viewing distance but knowing it's there bothers me. Other than the pixel, the screen has really great screen uniformity and no backlight bleeding or clouding.

Is it worth replacing the set or are dead pixels a common occurrence in these models (are the chances of getting another set with a dead pixel high)? What's Sony's pixel policy?
post #279 of 688 Old 08-26-2014, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyvurcz View Post
I primarily play xb1 and ps4 on this set also so far its awesome! no complaints here.
Thanks for the input!
post #280 of 688 Old 08-26-2014, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I need some advice from fellow 70W850B owners. I'm coming from a Samsung plasma so I know somethings will be different, some worse some better. I'm actually on my second tv as my first Sony died after 2 days and gave a 4 red light blink error code, and Best Buy recommended I exchange it. I hadn't had a chance to look at it much, but on the new replacement I have noticed some of the radial banding issues everybody has talked about. Course I had to google to find out what radial banding actually was, though I consider myself fairly researched on most things TV. Here's my question, are some units worse than others? How bad is bad enough in radial banding for me to consider returning or exchanging the tv? (that said it kind of bothers me but if the tv is not doing what it is supposed to do, that bothers me more, if its inherent in this tv and LED LCDS in general I can deal with it) I am getting to play with this unit more than the first but have barely scratched the surface, just would like some feedback on the radial banding crap. What you have observed, your experience, and so on. I thank you in advance ladies and gentlemen.
post #281 of 688 Old 08-26-2014, 06:20 PM

I would also like to hear other peoples opinion on this. My personal experience has been great overall but my set definitely suffers from radial banding. My main complaint is the banding and I've got some clouding on all black or all white screens.
post #282 of 688 Old 08-27-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Has anyone had the chance to view a 60" & 70" side-by-side in a dimly-lit room? If so can the 70" come close to the black level, contrast, and uniformity of the 60"? I have seen one 70" in the bright lights of Best Buy, where it's rather difficult to say, and I don't think I'm going to find a 70" locally to watch in limited lighting without buying one. I saw the 60" today with reasonably low room lighting, and it seemed rather impressive compared to my 60" SXRD. The contrast and uniformity of their 60" display model exceeded my apparently limited expectations, and I would have been willing to trade some performance for a bigger version. Based on watching two 60" models I'll buy the W850B, but I'm not sure if the 70" is a step up or down. Reading this thread my impression has been that many performance criticisms worth considering seem to have come from 70" owners, so I'm trying to decide if I want to chance purchasing the bigger size or simply go with the 60" that appears likely to meet my requirements.

Edit: Aside from red appearing different than the XBRs, after looking at another 70", I couldn't find much to question about the W850B from 4 sets in stores. Since I started out shopping 65" TVs, I decided to take the chance on having a 70" delivered next week. I'm still not convinced the 70" might perform as well as the 60" I watched, but possibly dealing with a return seemed better than wondering how the 70" compares.

Last edited by alluringreality; 08-28-2014 at 12:21 AM.
post #283 of 688 Old 08-28-2014, 08:13 PM

Just received a firmware update when I turned on my tv, anybody have any idea what it was for? Are there change logs posted any where for updates?
post #284 of 688 Old 08-28-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Just received a firmware update when I turned on my tv, anybody have any idea what it was for? Are there change logs posted any where for updates?
http://esupport.sony.com/CA/p/model-...d#/downloadTab
post #285 of 688 Old 08-28-2014, 08:55 PM

Have any of you checked your sets for dead or stuck pixels? How common are they?
post #286 of 688 Old 08-29-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun. View Post
Thanks for that! Was hoping for some 3d issue fixes but wishful thinking.
post #287 of 688 Old 08-29-2014, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Thanks for that! Was hoping for some 3d issue fixes but wishful thinking.
Still looking at getting this set. Has anyone talked to Sony about the 3D crosstalk issues and whether is can be corrected with a software update?
post #288 of 688 Old 08-29-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videokid View Post
Still looking at getting this set. Has anyone talked to Sony about the 3D crosstalk issues and whether is can be corrected with a software update?
I called and have a ticket open with their Tier 2 support, Tier 1 was useless as expected. (Are you watching 3D with your 3D glasses? Seriously?!?!?!) I have not been able to contact Tier 2 yet but am going to try in the next few days. The crosstalk is there, but it doesn't render it unwatchable. My wife says she gets less crosstalk with this TV than when we go to the IMAX Theater in the city. It's there, and it can be annoying, but we've watched several movies and its not that bad. Admittedly, after buying an expensive TV, you would expect better performance, but not a deal breaker as the PQ on the TV is excellent.
post #289 of 688 Old 08-29-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stibone View Post
I called and have a ticket open with their Tier 2 support, Tier 1 was useless as expected. (Are you watching 3D with your 3D glasses? Seriously?!?!?!) I have not been able to contact Tier 2 yet but am going to try in the next few days. The crosstalk is there, but it doesn't render it unwatchable. My wife says she gets less crosstalk with this TV than when we go to the IMAX Theater in the city. It's there, and it can be annoying, but we've watched several movies and its not that bad. Admittedly, after buying an expensive TV, you would expect better performance, but not a deal breaker as the PQ on the TV is excellent.
I'd have to agree there. Def not a deal breaker just wish it was better. On another note for me the bigger issue is the poor viewing angle which no firmware update will be able to fix.
post #290 of 688 Old 08-29-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I'd have to agree there. Def not a deal breaker just wish it was better. On another note for me the bigger issue is the poor viewing angle which no firmware update will be able to fix.
Imagine the viewing angle on those curved screens!
post #291 of 688 Old 08-29-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Imagine the viewing angle on those curved screens!
lol to be honest I'm pretty sure i've seen curved screens that didn't have viewing angle issues when I was at pc richards last time.
post #292 of 688 Old 08-29-2014, 11:34 PM

Well, I called Sony about the dead pixel on my set and asked what they thought I should do. They're sending a replacement unit! Hope my luck's better this time...

Have you guys checked your displays?
post #293 of 688 Old 08-30-2014, 04:12 AM

Thats awesome atleast you didn't get the run around! How do you go about checking for dead pixels? If I have any i certainly didn't notice.
post #294 of 688 Old 08-31-2014, 02:26 PM

Ordered the 70W850B and wondering what kind of extra 3D glasses anyone has purchased? I'm not going to pay $149 for Sony, heard the Sony playstation or the Samsung SSG-5150G3 glasses work. Can anyone confirm this? They are both under $20...

EDIT: Just read on c/net that the Samsung SSG-5150GB is compatible with the 850B. They are $16 on Amazon.

Last edited by videokid; 08-31-2014 at 03:04 PM.
post #295 of 688 Old 08-31-2014, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Ordered the 70W850B and wondering what kind of extra 3D glasses anyone has purchased? I'm not going to pay $149 for Sony, heard the Sony playstation or the Samsung SSG-5150G3 glasses work. Can anyone confirm this? They are both under $20...

EDIT: Just read on c/net that the Samsung SSG-5150GB is compatible with the 850B. They are $16 on Amazon.
I just use the ones that came with my former 60" Samsung Plasma 3D HDTV... they work fine, so I have four glasses now.
post #296 of 688 Old 09-01-2014, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
OK, got this TV. I love it and hit my first complaint.

I put the TV into the "sports setting". It was hockey and it SUCKED. It looked choppy. I figured that the TV was trying to create extra frames via algorithm and that was messing it up. So, I changed to the "game setting". And the choppiness was gone and it looked awesome.

So, what setting or settings is the "game setting" using that gets rid of the choppiness. I noticed that some options are greyed out and I'd guess that those are the settings. But I want the minimal set of settings I need to tinker with.

And I'd like to thank Sony for making a manual that explains absolutely nothing about the display settings or any settings for that matter.

Also, I'd like to tweak "movie setting" to the recommended settings by the user community.

Thanks!

EDIT:
What about sound settings?For movies, I use my stereo. What should I do for normal TV viewing?

Last edited by kherman; 09-01-2014 at 07:46 PM.
post #297 of 688 Old 09-01-2014, 07:39 PM

I can't remember if this TV is what just got a firmware update or if I am thinking about my new PS4.

Anyway, what are these settings in Picture Adjustments?
Dot Noise reduction (Default: off)
Reality Creation (Default: Manual)
Resolution slider (Default: Min)

Gaming Mode had these settings:
Dot Noise Reduction: Off (Setting disabled)
Reality Creation: Auto (setting is enabled)
Resolution: 20 (setting is disabled)

EDIT:
I feel dumb. The resolution Slider disappears depending on the setting of reality creation. The resolution Slider disappears when reality creation is set to off. And the the resolution Slideris disabled when reality creation is set to auto. I'm not sure if I captured exactly what is going on but I think it's worth while mentioning here.

Last edited by kherman; 09-01-2014 at 07:49 PM.
post #298 of 688 Old 09-01-2014, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kherman View Post
So, what setting or settings is the "game setting" using that gets rid of the choppiness.
The primary setting for motion is Motionflow. Cinemotion, the noise reduction settings, and maybe reality creation are a few other areas that might affect motion, but I'm not familiar with what changes the sports option might introduce or what settings it adjusts.

Quote:
I noticed that some options are greyed out and I'd guess that those are the settings. But I want the minimal set of settings I need to tinker with.
Personally I'm going to start with a combination of the settings given in the W850B reviews from Cnet and Rtings, but I currently own a Sony TV, so I'm familiar with the primary function for most of the controls that have different settings between those two reviews.

Quote:
And I'd like to thank Sony for making a manual that explains absolutely nothing about the display settings or any settings for that matter.
The i-Manual on the TV and at Sony Support has some basic descriptions for what the controls do, but they're not very thorough on exactly what the setting changes. After I get my TV I may give a little more explanation to some of the W850B controls, such as the settings that vary between the two reviews.

Last edited by alluringreality; 09-02-2014 at 12:03 AM.
post #299 of 688 Old 09-02-2014, 06:48 AM

Thanks for the tips on calibration.

I changed my Cinema settings to match those on the rtings.com review for the 850B. I took a look at one posters settings on CNet and they were largely the same except they jacked up a single setting that greatly increased the brightness.

I think I'm going to look into the AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration you linked. I saw that yesterday and it was too much to read in one shot.

I mostly want to get the Cinema setting worked out for watching movies. I am going to do something similar for sports but I might exaggerate the colors so the greens are greener (football) and the whites whiter (hockey).

I'm leaving the settings for Game setting as stock. I usually view the black level reproduction as important so I might tweek that later.

Thanks!
post #300 of 688 Old 09-02-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Thats awesome atleast you didn't get the run around! How do you go about checking for dead pixels? If I have any i certainly didn't notice.
It is pretty awesome service, I just hope I don't end up with something worse! The screen uniformity on mine is perfect other than the dead pixel.

I first noticed it on a commercial ad with a white background when I was setting something up close to the TV (about 3 to 4 feet away). Shows up as a purple/pink dot on white to grey backgrounds, disappears on black, black on green, etc.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page