10Likes

post #301 of 330 Old 09-02-2014, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun. View Post
It is pretty awesome service, I just hope I don't end up with something worse! The screen uniformity on mine is perfect other than the dead pixel.

I first noticed it on a commercial ad with a white background when I was setting something up close to the TV (about 3 to 4 feet away). Shows up as a purple/pink dot on white to grey backgrounds, disappears on black, black on green, etc.
I must not have any. Let us know how the new set goes. I really want to call Sony about the Banding issue but really not sure if it's even worth the effort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 330 Old 09-03-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
I received my replacement 70w850b two days ago. This replacement is actually replacing a 65w850a which was a replacement for another 70w850b. Both 70w850b's had April build dates. The first one was replaced because of severe radial banding issues. I had high hopes for this new one but was a little apprehensive when I noticed it was also a April build date even though I asked for any other build date. Out of the box and tuned just right I was thrilled to see no evidence of radial banding. After about 25 hours of use the problem began to become apparent. My wife looked at it this morning while watching the British Open and I heard a uh oh from her. She saw it too. I'm so disappointed I'm beside myself. I've been a die hard Sony fan for over 40 years and now have to wonder WTF!!!. I think the problem is the ISP panel since the 65w850a uses the S-PVA panel and has no banding issues (just clouding and flash lighting issues). I really want 70 inches so I'm never going to be really happy with a 65. It seems that my only other option is the 65w950 but I'm told that it also uses the IPS panel which is probably true since it's Passive 3d. I can't even call the rep I've been dealing with since he will be out of the office for another 10 days. Sigh!!
What did you end up doing with your set? Was the 3D still bad or has Sony improved anything?
post #303 of 330 Old 09-03-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by videokid View Post
What did you end up doing with your set? Was the 3D still bad or has Sony improved anything?
I now have the 70x850b. Very nice picture but still has mild radial banding. 3d is nice but that may be because this is a 4k set. The 70w850b is a better bang for the buck while the 65w850a holds that title if 65in is big enough for you.
post #304 of 330 Old 09-03-2014, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've experimented with a lot of settings in the last 2 months and driven my wife insane. But, I finally found something that works great for me. I use this for HDTV (our provide, Videotron is really noisy and overly compressed so I have NR and MPEG NR set to Auto) and I love the pic quality now.

Scene: Standard
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 4-5 (adjust based on room brightness)
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 50
Colour: 48
Hue: 0
Colour Temp: Neutral
Sharpness: 60
Noise Reduction: Auto
MPEG NR: Auto
Dot NR: Off
Reality Creation: Manual
Resolution 50
Noise Filtering 20
Smooth Gradation: Low
Motionflow: Clear
Film Mode: Auto
Black Corrector: Off
Adv Contrast: Low
Gamma: -1
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Colour: Low
White Balance
R-Gain -6
G-Gain -3
B-Gain 0
R-Bias 0
G-Bias 0
B-Bias 0
Detail Enhancer: Low
Edge Enhancer: Off
Skin Naturaliser: Off

For BluRays and high bitrate media, I use essentially the same settings for color/black/whites but turn all processing off, MotionFlow is set to True Cinema and backlight at 2-3.

Hope that helps.
post #305 of 330 Old 09-03-2014, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Can someone share their picture settings for games on the KDL60W850B?

I've been trying to calibrate my 360 and XB1's contrast/black levels using this:

http://www.nicolaspeople.com/ch3roke...llrgb_test.jpg

And on both, I have to set brightness at around 66-68 to be able to see all of the squares. In doing this, the games look slightly washed out, and the loading screen (in GTA 5) looks more grey than black..

I have the 360's reference levels set at 'Standard' (the XB1 at 'TV') as when setting it to 'Intermediate' or 'Expanded' (or PC on XB1), the blacks are crushed.
post #306 of 330 Old 09-03-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 34
My 70" W850B was delivered yesterday. Displaying solid colors it's clearly not as uniform as the 60" model I saw in good lighting. I would guess near black might be the most noticable non-uniformity, but my previous TV was rear-projection, so for me the uniformity is still passable. I haven't noticed radial banding on three 70" or two 60" models, so that might simply bother me less than silk screen effect from SXRD. Displaying field patterns I didn't notice any pixel issues. I can notice some of the off-axis changes in color, but my prior TV had similar changes, and I knew that was there going in. The only thing that really caught me by surprise is how nothing really works while the TV seems to boot up. My initial impression is that it's not perfect, but the larger size is interesting, and the picture seems preferable to my prior rear-projection Sony.

I did some preliminary measurements with an i1pro, which was showing red and green skewed toward yellow, similar to the Cnet measurements. Subjectively the contrast looks considerably better than my old display, and my meters have reported contrast numbers similar to the online reviews for the 60". I wasn't sure how bright the TV might get, yet with motionflow and eco settings off my 70" could measure over 250 nits for calibrated white, which is roughly double the recommendation for a dim room. Impulse mode appears completely worthless to me, because the i1pro never read calibrated white much over 50 nits, and that's about half what I prefer for a dim room. I was getting a touch over 100 nits on clear+ with the maximum backlight, so I'm not sure if that's a viable setting as the TV dims with time. Color seems about the only place where my 7 year old TV might have had an advantage at one time, and otherwise my first take is that the W850B offers more for similar money than my last TV purchase.

Edit: On the first day I didn't get the same contrast numbers as the online reviews, but my second round of measurements did indicate similar contrast numbers to the posted reviews. I didn't check the meter specs, but I would guess the black level measurements I was getting may be below where the meters are rated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by alluringreality; 09-03-2014 at 09:05 PM.
post #307 of 330 Old 09-03-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by interfreak View Post
Can someone share their picture settings for games on the KDL60W850B?
My suggestion would be to start with the Rtings settings:
https://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lc...w850b/settings

If you want to disable the light sensor mentioned then look at the Eco settings in the i-Manual. Turning off the light sensor seems to make the backlight setting have more range. The Rtings settings may be dark if you have much light in the room, but here are basically the only controls that might be worth changing:

Backlight - Turning this up will increase the light output of the entire image. Both black and white will get brighter when turning up the control, which will help overcome light in the room.

Gamma - Turning up this setting should cause the TV to come out of black quicker.

Color Temperature - You may want to use Warm 1. That will make the picture more blue and a little brighter, which might be less objectionable than an uncalibrated Warm 2.

White Balance - Unless you know how to change these controls then leave them at the default zero setting. The white balance settings will vary from TV to TV, so it doesn't work to use the white balance settings from another TV.

Basically turning up the backlight or turning up the gamma setting will cause the TV to come out of black quicker. Using Warm 1 instead of Warm 2 would make the TV more blue and maybe less objectionable. Leave the white balance at the defaults.

Quote:
And on both, I have to set brightness at around 66-68 to be able to see all of the squares.
The default 50 setting should be close for above-black information with a standard video input. A few clicks higher or lower seems reasonable, but generally getting into the 60s probably means that you are mainly making black gray and decreasing the contrast between black and white. If you want to make black gray the backlight can do that, and if you want to come out of black quicker then increasing the gamma control should do that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by alluringreality; 09-03-2014 at 04:39 PM.
post #308 of 330 Old 09-03-2014, 04:18 PM

Thanks mate!

I do have the light sensor set to 'off', so I'll try starting with the CNET settings and see how I go.

Should I also set the 'Dynamic Range' on the TV to 'Full' and the reference level on the console to 'Extended'?

From what I understand that will give me the full 0-255 RGB range.
post #309 of 330 Old 09-03-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by interfreak View Post
I'll try starting with the CNET settings and see how I go.
The Cnet settings are similar to the Rtings settings. The main difference is that the Rtings settings have the Scene Select and Picture Mode set to Game, which is what I'm going to use on my Xbox One for games.

Quote:
Should I also set the 'Dynamic Range' on the TV to 'Full' and the reference level on the console to 'Extended'?

From what I understand that will give me the full 0-255 RGB range.
I didn't have any issues with a full-range signal on my computer last night, so yes that should work. On my prior Sony it didn't really matter if a full-range or limited-range signal was used, because black and white were correctly adjusted to output the same amount of light with both setups. If your main interest is using the console to play games, then I don't see much issue in setting the console and TV for a full-range signal.

post #310 of 330 Old 09-03-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
The Cnet settings are similar to the Rtings settings. The main difference is that the Rtings settings have the Scene Select and Picture Mode set to Game, which is what I'm going to use on my Xbox One for games.
Oops I meant RTings not CNET lol!!

Quote:
I didn't have any issues with a full-range signal on my computer last night, so yes that should work. On my prior Sony it didn't really matter if a full-range or limited-range signal was used, because black and white were correctly adjusted to output the same amount of light with both setups. If your main interest is using the console to play games, then I don't see much issue in setting the console and TV for a full-range signal.

I did some initial tests last night with the Full/Extended combo (same as Full/Full) and noticed that when displaying the below image through the Internet Explorer app, I couldn't get the first 2 rows of squares to appear.. I'll do some more tests tonight.

http://www.nicolaspeople.com/ch3roke...llrgb_test.jpg
post #311 of 330 Old 09-05-2014, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
How do I go about setting the contrast on my 850b?

First time trying to calibrate a TV and I'm already lost

Last edited by kherman; 09-05-2014 at 07:59 PM.
post #312 of 330 Old 09-05-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kherman View Post
How do I go about setting the contrast on my 850b?
Generally the answer is to use something to check how the display performs, such as test patterns. My initial impression is that it looks like Sony probably still only offers a limited range of contrast in the user menu. So far I haven't noticed issues from simply setting picture to Max.

Last edited by alluringreality; 09-05-2014 at 09:07 PM.
post #313 of 330 Old 09-06-2014, 04:04 PM

Received my 70W850B today and after 3 hours all I can say is..... it is 10 times better than the Vizio M652i B2 that I sent back. Picture pretty much out of the box is nice, I know when I start tweaking it, it will only get better. If it only stays this way I'll be very happy. I'm a director of photography so my eye is super sharp for picture image and it's night and day compared to the Vizio. I did notice that my panel has a build date of March, made in Mexico. I see no radial banding, ghosting, flashlighting, clouding, or blooming. I'll post pictures and updates later.
mikevandyke1 likes this.
post #314 of 330 Old 09-07-2014, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Watching football it became clear that what I think of as backlight non-uniformity on the 70" is likely what has been referred to as radial banding. Before buying I knew the 70" was unlikely to have even backlighting, and I'm not sure if the variation on my TV is considerably worse than my prior SXRD, where generally the center was brighter than the edges. With the backlight set for a center white around 105 nits on my W850B, the left side centerline of the screen measured as low as 80 nits, and the right side centerline had minimums around 90 nits. In spite of the right side measuring with less total variation, I generally find the uneven lighting on the right side a little more noticeable, because the right side variation is less diffuse and more "banded". The non-uniformity seems to be simply due to the backlighting, and the uneven lighting appears to always be on-screen, yet subjectively I can't say the image is necessarily worse than my prior SXRD or the movie theaters I've been to in recent memory. Out of the box looking at field patterns the uneven backlighting on my 70" was noticable compared to the 60" I had seen, and after watching the TV more I can see how the backlight variation carries over into other images and could be generally characterized as circular. While the uneven lighting was initially clear on solid colors, it took me some time watching to figure out that's simply what people were likely discussing. I tried to do a lot of watching to pick out what sort of issues to expect from 65"-70" models before purchasing, and with the return period closing on my TV, I still can't say I've seen any clearly preferable alternate option.

post #315 of 330 Old 09-09-2014, 07:18 AM

Alright, here's the latest update on my 70W850B.... radial banding has reared it's ugly head. It's only bad when watching a solid color or white background. I didn't really see any banding so much when viewing live programming, but sometimes it's slightly there. The last image is a from a video I shot with Mike Singletary last week, from a MP4 file off my USB. The video shows no banding (the over exposure is from the crappy camera phone). So, I think for now I'm going to stay with this set, I have 30 day for a return through Amazon. It truly baffles my mind why Sony engineers would produce a set that has a great picture, but takes a hard hit with this banding issue. Most new panel sets have issues and it sucks! alluringreality, I think you are spot on, as the engineers I work with seem to think the radial banding is a result of edge back-lighting. Wonder if Sony has a fix or if they are just going to turn their heads?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140908_201709.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	254226   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140908_201930.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	254234   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140908_202008.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	254242   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140908_201754.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	254250   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140908_213853.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	254282  

Name:	20140908_210657.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	254290   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140908_214412.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	254306   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140908_202425.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	254314  
post #316 of 330 Old 09-09-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Without opening up the back of my TV to see how the backlight is handled, I think it's reasonable to assume the uneven lighting is probably due to a design decision and likely affects all the W850B displays to some extent. Both the Cnet and Rtings reviews suggest their 60" models exhibited some uneven lighting, and I would have to revisit a local 60" to say for sure if it actually matches my initial subjective opinion of being more uniform than my 70". I don't see much reason to expect Sony to have a solution, so the only surefire option is to return the TV if it's personally unacceptable, and exchanging for another 70" generally seems pointless to me.

There are a number of things I like about the W850B, such as the semi-matte screen, black level and native contrast, gamma control, physical appearance, generally the subjective image, and it didn't seem to hurt for games. The uneven lighting and how the gamut measures are the only negatives I've noticed, so my second choice out of currently-available TVs would probably be the 60" W850B if the screen is more uniform than the 70", but there is a considerable difference in screen size. Vizio would seem to be offering the most likely solution for more even backlighting at similar money in the 65"-70" range, yet I'm not sure if they have their own issues. In-store I got the impression that most brands were probably not delivering similar contrast to the Sony and Samsung displays. I didn't like the semi-gloss Samsung, and the only reviews I found that suggested my impressions about contrast might have been off were in favor of Vizio. I'm simply not a fan of glossy screens, but if I went glossy I'd probably buy a Sony. A TV is not worth anything close to $7k to me (X950B), the X850B and W950B seem to have some of the worst reflections I've ever seen, and I get the impression that the X900B may rely on dimming to achieve its black level. I know this forum loves FALD and local dimming, but I would have to live with either a while to say if such things would bug me any more than the uneven W850B backlighting. Basically I bought the W850B because it seemed like a decent value compared to the 65" X900B, and I'm not sure if I'd like alternatives such as a Vizio.

Last edited by alluringreality; 09-09-2014 at 10:51 AM.
post #317 of 330 Old 09-09-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Without opening up the back of my TV to see how the backlight is handled, I think it's reasonable to assume the uneven lighting is probably due to a design decision and likely affects all the W850B displays to some extent. Both the Cnet and Rtings reviews suggest their 60" models exhibited some uneven lighting, and I would have to revisit a local 60" to say for sure if it actually matches my initial subjective opinion of being more uniform than my 70". I don't see much reason to expect Sony to have a solution, so the only surefire option is to return the TV if it's personally unacceptable, and exchanging for another 70" generally seems pointless to me.

There are a number of things I like about the W850B, such as the semi-matte screen, black level and native contrast, gamma control, physical appearance, generally the subjective image, and it didn't seem to hurt for games. The uneven lighting and how the gamut measures are the only negatives I've noticed, so my second choice out of currently-available TVs would probably be the 60" W850B if the screen is more uniform than the 70", but there is a considerable difference in screen size. Vizio would seem to be offering the most likely solution for more even backlighting at similar money in the 65"-70" range, yet I'm not sure if they have their own issues. In-store I got the impression that most brands were probably not delivering similar contrast to the Sony and Samsung displays. I didn't like the semi-gloss Samsung, and the only reviews I found that suggested my impressions about contrast might have been off were in favor of Vizio. I'm simply not a fan of glossy screens, but if I went glossy I'd probably buy a Sony. A TV is not worth anything close to $7k to me (X950B), the X850B and W950B seem to have some of the worst reflections I've ever seen, and I get the impression that the X900B may rely on dimming to achieve its black level. I know this forum loves FALD and local dimming, but I would have to live with either a while to say if such things would bug me any more than the uneven W850B backlighting. Basically I bought the W850B because it seemed like a decent value compared to the 65" X900B, and I'm not sure if I'd like alternatives such as a Vizio.
take some pictures please
post #318 of 330 Old 09-09-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

My display is generally similar to what videokid posted, but the levels in the images from videokid seem exaggerated compared to the sort of variation on my TV. My display measured around 105 nits in the center and about 80 nits approximately 1/4 of the way in from the middle left side of the screen. In terms of video levels, I think that works out to nearly 10%, after accounting for gamma. I estimated that if the center was around 255 then the left side might come in around 230. My point and shoot cameras seem sort of in line with that estimation, yet the photos show some differences compared to what I actually see. The left and right vertical edges of the screen are actually brighter than what the photos show. For example a few inches in from the middle right edge of the screen is about the same brightness as the center, but in the photos the right edge of the screen is incorrectly shown as being darker than the center. The photos give a general idea of the sort of variation my display shows.

The darker image is simply a cropped version from the camera. In the brighter image I adjusted levels to make the center closer to white to check if the levels were at least somewhat similar to what screen measurements might suggest. What you see will depend on things like your monitor and room lighting, but aside from the left and right edges being too dark, the images generally represent what is going on with my display.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	477.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	255386   Click image for larger version

Name:	477-Edited.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	255394  

Last edited by alluringreality; 09-09-2014 at 08:13 PM.
post #319 of 330 Old 09-10-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
My display is generally similar to what videokid posted, but the levels in the images from videokid seem exaggerated compared to the sort of variation on my TV. My display measured around 105 nits in the center and about 80 nits approximately 1/4 of the way in from the middle left side of the screen. In terms of video levels, I think that works out to nearly 10%, after accounting for gamma. I estimated that if the center was around 255 then the left side might come in around 230. My point and shoot cameras seem sort of in line with that estimation, yet the photos show some differences compared to what I actually see. The left and right vertical edges of the screen are actually brighter than what the photos show. For example a few inches in from the middle right edge of the screen is about the same brightness as the center, but in the photos the right edge of the screen is incorrectly shown as being darker than the center. The photos give a general idea of the sort of variation my display shows.

The darker image is simply a cropped version from the camera. In the brighter image I adjusted levels to make the center closer to white to check if the levels were at least somewhat similar to what screen measurements might suggest. What you see will depend on things like your monitor and room lighting, but aside from the left and right edges being too dark, the images generally represent what is going on with my display.
And I have noticed that my radial bands seem to look more pronounced viewing the screen at an angle, while dead on it's hard to see them. I really do like the picture and the TV features, but I don't know if the radial bands are going to be a deal breaker. I just can't believe that Sony engineers and executives would put out a panel for this price that has this problem image imbedded it the panel, and then not try and correct it!
post #320 of 330 Old 09-10-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I decided to revisit the 60" that got me to buy. It doesn't have perfect uniformity, but it appears to be a step up from my screen, similar to my original impression. The edges of the screen are dim on the display model, but the center lacks the non-uniformity shown on the 70".

post #321 of 330 Old 09-10-2014, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone I just got the 60W850B from amazon today. It will be here in few days, after looking through this thread seems like this tv is prone to having radial banding. Is loading the tv with a grey back ground a good way of looking for the bandings? Is there any other issue I should be looking for other than the banding. Thanks in advance I am really a noob here.
post #322 of 330 Old 09-11-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adibee View Post
Hi everyone I just got the 60W850B from amazon today. It will be here in few days, after looking through this thread seems like this tv is prone to having radial banding. Is loading the tv with a grey back ground a good way of looking for the bandings? Is there any other issue I should be looking for other than the banding. Thanks in advance I am really a noob here.
I used a jpeg file, any color will help you see if your set displays radial banding, where as white or grey shows it best. I notice that viewing at an angle helps you see them better, straight on not so much. Please let us know if you have any problems.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140908_201914.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	258242   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140908_201930.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	258250   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140908_194819.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	258258  
post #323 of 330 Old 09-11-2014, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Alright, here's the latest update on my 70W850B.... radial banding has reared it's ugly head. It's only bad when watching a solid color or white background. I didn't really see any banding so much when viewing live programming, but sometimes it's slightly there. The last image is a from a video I shot with Mike Singletary last week, from a MP4 file off my USB. The video shows no banding (the over exposure is from the crappy camera phone). So, I think for now I'm going to stay with this set, I have 30 day for a return through Amazon. It truly baffles my mind why Sony engineers would produce a set that has a great picture, but takes a hard hit with this banding issue. Most new panel sets have issues and it sucks! alluringreality, I think you are spot on, as the engineers I work with seem to think the radial banding is a result of edge back-lighting. Wonder if Sony has a fix or if they are just going to turn their heads?
what are ur settings?
post #324 of 330 Old 09-12-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergames View Post
what are ur settings?

Pretty much like stibone has, small changes in color level and contrast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stibone View Post
I've experimented with a lot of settings in the last 2 months and driven my wife insane. But, I finally found something that works great for me. I use this for HDTV (our provide, Videotron is really noisy and overly compressed so I have NR and MPEG NR set to Auto) and I love the pic quality now.

Scene: Standard
Picture Mode: Custom
Backlight: 4-5 (adjust based on room brightness)
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 50
Colour: 48
Hue: 0
Colour Temp: Neutral
Sharpness: 60
Noise Reduction: Auto
MPEG NR: Auto
Dot NR: Off
Reality Creation: Manual
Resolution 50
Noise Filtering 20
Smooth Gradation: Low
Motionflow: Clear
Film Mode: Auto
Black Corrector: Off
Adv Contrast: Low
Gamma: -1
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Colour: Low
White Balance
R-Gain -6
G-Gain -3
B-Gain 0
R-Bias 0
G-Bias 0
B-Bias 0
Detail Enhancer: Low
Edge Enhancer: Off
Skin Naturaliser: Off

For BluRays and high bitrate media, I use essentially the same settings for color/black/whites but turn all processing off, MotionFlow is set to True Cinema and backlight at 2-3.

Hope that helps.

Do you show any signs of radial banding in the panel?
post #325 of 330 Old 09-12-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I used a jpeg file, any color will help you see if your set displays radial banding, where as white or grey shows it best. I notice that viewing at an angle helps you see them better, straight on not so much. Please let us know if you have any problems.
Hi thanks for the reply. I am waiting for my Tv come next Tuesday and then I will definitely have to test it. Going through all these posts is making me nervous. Hopefully sony fixed the banding issue. Got my TV from Amazon so I think exchanging or returning wont be an issue if I see any problem. Which picture setting are you using on yours?
post #326 of 330 Old 09-12-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Hi thanks for the reply. I am waiting for my Tv come next Tuesday and then I will definitely have to test it. Going through all these posts is making me nervous. Hopefully sony fixed the banding issue. Got my TV from Amazon so I think exchanging or returning wont be an issue if I see any problem. Which picture setting are you using on yours?
I bought mine from Amazon also, I exchanged the first set I purchased (Vizio M652i B2) for this Sony. Don't be surprised if the set looks great out of the box, as mine did. Within a day, I started to notice the radial banding. I would love to keep this set if it didn't have the banding issue. Let us know when you get your set, and if you have the radial banding problem. Angle viewing seems to show it best. My set had a build date of March, so I was hoping that Sony had corrected the problem by then. I probably will try another set through Amazon, but I have a feeling Sony designed a faulty TV and they are just going to turn their heads and hope people don't notice the banding, thus is the problem today with corporations outsourcing manufacturing to 3rd world companies that build junk.... no accountability! My settings are like the one above, let us know about your panel when it arrives.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140908_201922.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	259410   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140906_153432.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	259418  
post #327 of 330 Old 09-12-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I bought mine from Amazon also, I exchanged the first set I purchased (Vizio M652i B2) for this Sony. Don't be surprised if the set looks great out of the box, as mine did. Within a day, I started to notice the radial banding. I would love to keep this set if it didn't have the banding issue. Let us know when you get your set, and if you have the radial banding problem. Angle viewing seems to show it best. My set had a build date of March, so I was hoping that Sony had corrected the problem by then. I probably will try another set through Amazon, but I have a feeling Sony designed a faulty TV and they are just going to turn their heads and hope people don't notice the banding, thus is the problem today with corporations outsourcing manufacturing to 3rd world companies that build junk.... no accountability! My settings are like the one above, let us know about your panel when it arrives.
Thats just sad, I heard somewhere that bandings usually happen on the first day or two but if it doesn't happen after that I should be fine. This is the main reason I got it from Amazon as I know I might get a defective tv heck the people from Rtings got a unit which had clouding issues too. So in your case you didnt notice the bandings at first? Or did it start to appear after a few hours? The main reason I chose this set was because I ordered ps4 destiny bundle and this had good gaming reviews. Why did you return the Vizio, ddint like it that much? I wonder if the 60 inch H7150 would be better over this now lol
post #328 of 330 Old 09-12-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Thats just sad, I heard somewhere that bandings usually happen on the first day or two but if it doesn't happen after that I should be fine. This is the main reason I got it from Amazon as I know I might get a defective tv heck the people from Rtings got a unit which had clouding issues too. So in your case you didnt notice the bandings at first? Or did it start to appear after a few hours? The main reason I chose this set was because I ordered ps4 destiny bundle and this had good gaming reviews. Why did you return the Vizio, ddint like it that much? I wonder if the 60 inch H7150 would be better over this now lol
You can only really notice the radial bands viewing at an angle or straight on with a solid color. Most of the time straight on, you don't notice it. Gaming is awesome on this set as the lag time is close to the best. The vizio had blooming issues, vertical banding, bad picture processing, and a pixel out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140908_214412.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	259458   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140908_211737.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	259482   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140908_194819.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	259490   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140908_211941.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	259498  
post #329 of 330 Old 09-12-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Going through all these posts is making me nervous. Hopefully sony fixed the banding issue.
I'll suggest there may not be any reason to really worry about screen uniformity on the 60". After seeing the effect on my 70", I revisited one store, and their 60" was generally like other LCDs. Even viewing the screen from a very wide angle did not exhibit the arc effect. All of these TVs will show some brightness variation, but the 60" was similar to what the Rtings gray picture suggests, and likewise Cnet also considered their TV typical.

Quote:
I heard somewhere that bandings usually happen on the first day or two but if it doesn't happen after that I should be fine.
The issue reported for the 70" will likely be present right out of the box. If you want it's possible to look at screen uniformity by displaying a field pattern, which is just a screen of a single color. The downloads from the link below include some fields. For example you could download the MP4 version, decompress the video files, and then copy the fields to a USB stick to play on the TV.

post #330 of 330 Old 09-13-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
You can only really notice the radial bands viewing at an angle or straight on with a solid color. Most of the time straight on, you don't notice it. Gaming is awesome on this set as the lag time is close to the best. The vizio had blooming issues, vertical banding, bad picture processing, and a pixel out.
Gotcha I'll test the tv out and let you know. Sucks that the vizio had all those problem.

Quote:
I'll suggest there may not be any reason to really worry about screen uniformity on the 60". After seeing the effect on my 70", I revisited one store, and their 60" was generally like other LCDs. Even viewing the screen from a very wide angle did not exhibit the arc effect. All of these TVs will show some brightness variation, but the 60" was similar to what the Rtings gray picture suggests, and likewise Cnet also considered their TV typical.

The issue reported for the 70" will likely be present right out of the box. If you want it's possible to look at screen uniformity by displaying a field pattern, which is just a screen of a single color. The downloads from the link below include some fields. For example you could download the MP4 version, decompress the video files, and then copy the fields to a USB stick to play on the TV.
Thanks for the link I am downloading it now and will play it on the TV just to be sure. Could I play the mp4 file in the tv or do I have to decompress it?

Last edited by Adibee; 09-13-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page