Official Sony KDL-XXW850B thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 107Likes

post #361 of 1150 Old 09-29-2014, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I just posted this in the other Sony KDL70W830 owners thread but thought I would past it here, maybe more feedback available. Thanks for your comments.

Just read this whole thread as well as the original 12 pager referencing the Sony KDL 70W850B. I was more aligned with the new Vizio P70 but still comparing sets. I have some serious concerns with this Sony KDL 70W830 from the radial banding and clouding perspective but may be things have been improved with this mfr lot for Costco? Any known differences in assembly or panel or other parts? There is now an even better deal at Costco...$1899.99 after $600 mfr rebate. I am tempted to say the least but really hate to get into returning a problem TV. The Vizio has its own issues (no 3D but that is not killer for me) and it is 4K although very little content currently available...and costs $2499.99. All comments are needed, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1150 Old 10-03-2014, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvwahoo View Post
I just posted this in the other Sony KDL70W830 owners thread but thought I would past it here, maybe more feedback available. Thanks for your comments.

Just read this whole thread as well as the original 12 pager referencing the Sony KDL 70W850B. I was more aligned with the new Vizio P70 but still comparing sets. I have some serious concerns with this Sony KDL 70W830 from the radial banding and clouding perspective but may be things have been improved with this mfr lot for Costco? Any known differences in assembly or panel or other parts? There is now an even better deal at Costco...$1899.99 after $600 mfr rebate. I am tempted to say the least but really hate to get into returning a problem TV. The Vizio has its own issues (no 3D but that is not killer for me) and it is 4K although very little content currently available...and costs $2499.99. All comments are needed, thanks!
I would like to hear more on the banding issue, it seems like the more recent sets are better. I would most likely pick up the W830B from Costco, but i still have a couple months before my house is ready and by then it might be even less. Anyone recently picked up an 850B or 830B??
post #363 of 1150 Old 10-03-2014, 12:11 PM

I have kept reading up on this banding issue, hard to say if it less common than before. Still not sure what to do but I understand Sony has discontinued this line, maybe others can confirm. Sounds like a pretty good tv otherwise.
post #364 of 1150 Old 10-03-2014, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I have kept reading up on this banding issue, hard to say if it less common than before. Still not sure what to do but I understand Sony has discontinued this line, maybe others can confirm. Sounds like a pretty good tv otherwise.
Which line did they discontinue? the W850B?

I wasn't even considering the 70W850B until i came across it at Best Buy. I really liked what i saw and thought it had a better picture then the other 70-75" 1080p tv's i looked at and the price was great! I was also set on trying the Vizio P70, but i honestly wasn't comfortable dropping $2500 on a Vizio as much as i wanted 4k. I don't feel like the current 4k sets are worth getting at this point. I wanted the 70X850B, i just can't justify dropping $4500 on a tv, especially how rarely i'll be watching 4k content. Thats why the Vizio P series sounded like a good deal and these just hit stores but i don't like what i've been reading about them so far.
post #365 of 1150 Old 10-03-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano617 View Post
I wasn't even considering the 70W850B until i came across it at Best Buy. I really liked what i saw and thought it had a better picture then the other 70-75" 1080p tv's i looked at and the price was great! I was also set on trying the Vizio P70, but i honestly wasn't comfortable dropping $2500 on a Vizio as much as i wanted 4k. I don't feel like the current 4k sets are worth getting at this point. I wanted the 70X850B, i just can't justify dropping $4500 on a tv, especially how rarely i'll be watching 4k content. Thats why the Vizio P series sounded like a good deal and these just hit stores but i don't like what i've been reading about them so far.
EXACTLY!!! I was considering Vizio & Sharp in that order, but went with the Sony for better price at the time. I'm not dropping a bunch of $$$ on 4K right now, especially when they don't have a lot of content now. Kinda like Blu Ray when it first started. I buy a new, bigger TV every two years the past 10 years, so I'll get a 4K one in 2016 when the prices are down then.
post #366 of 1150 Old 10-05-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just ordered the 70w850b set last night from Best Buy and used a 10% off coupon to get it for $1820 delivered with tax. I'm coming from a 2010 Samsung Plasma. I'm interested in getting some of the other owner's feedback who have had plasmas and if they're satisfied with their sets? I could get a 60" F8500 for the same and I know the picture quality would be amazing but I figured really good picture plus 70" is better than a fantastic picture at 60". I sit about 10.5 ft back from the tv.
post #367 of 1150 Old 10-05-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgminder View Post
Just ordered the 70w850b set last night from Best Buy and used a 10% off coupon to get it for $1820 delivered with tax. I'm coming from a 2010 Samsung Plasma. I'm interested in getting some of the other owner's feedback who have had plasmas and if they're satisfied with their sets? I could get a 60" F8500 for the same and I know the picture quality would be amazing but I figured really good picture plus 70" is better than a fantastic picture at 60". I sit about 10.5 ft back from the tv.
I still have my 60" 3D HDTV Samsung Plasma I bought two years ago in my bedroom.
It was a great set, shows 3D without any crosstalk or any other problems. I notice the Plasma generates a LOT more heat... you can feel it when you walk by it.... like a little heater throwing out heat..

Yep, you will find the 70" much better if your sitting 10 feet away. No regrets buying my Sony even though the Samsung was slightly better.
post #368 of 1150 Old 10-05-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post
I still have my 60" 3D HDTV Samsung Plasma I bought two years ago in my bedroom.
It was a great set, shows 3D without any crosstalk or any other problems. I notice the Plasma generates a LOT more heat... you can feel it when you walk by it.... like a little heater throwing out heat..

Yep, you will find the 70" much better if your sitting 10 feet away. No regrets buying my Sony even though the Samsung was slightly better.
Thanks for the feedback! Can't wait to get it and am crossing my fingers I get a set without the dreaded radial banding. It'll be my first LED set. I saw it the store a bunch and while I know a set looks completely different when you get it home I really liked what I saw. Looking forward to getting it and calibrating it.
post #369 of 1150 Old 10-06-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano617 View Post
Which line did they discontinue? the W850B?

Someone had posted they discontinued the W850B but I could not confirm this after searching on line as well as on the Sony website, maybe it is not, who knows but this may partially explain why these are being discounted so heavily at costco and other retailers. I looked at one yesterday at Costco (W830B) and it looked pretty darn good but it is 1080P only...starting to think to stick to looking forward perhaps with a 4k TV, still undecided and I keep reading these posts.
post #370 of 1150 Old 10-06-2014, 01:42 PM

A friend of mine ordered the Vizio P Series 60" and it was a good TV but it didn't impress me like the move from SD to HD did. 4K looks great but the 1080p picture looked worse to my eyes. Watching Star Wars Revenge of the Sith, Yoda's head was pixelated. Since 4K content is so small at this point I wasn't willing to sacrifice it for what I'm going to be watching 90% of the time. Hence my decision to try out the 70w850b instead. Hopefully this set works out. If not I'll probably try a Samsung 65H7150.
post #371 of 1150 Old 10-06-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
A friend of mine ordered the Vizio P Series 60" and it was a good TV but it didn't impress me like the move from SD to HD did. 4K looks great but the 1080p picture looked worse to my eyes. Watching Star Wars Revenge of the Sith, Yoda's head was pixelated. Since 4K content is so small at this point I wasn't willing to sacrifice it for what I'm going to be watching 90% of the time. Hence my decision to try out the 70w850b instead. Hopefully this set works out. If not I'll probably try a Samsung 65H7150.
Let us know when you get your set. My second panel is going to be delivered this Saturday (11th). First one had radial banding..... post #315

Official Sony KDL-XXW850B thread

If this replacement has it, Sony is done... maybe I'll look to sharp.
post #372 of 1150 Old 10-06-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videokid View Post
Let us know when you get your set. My second panel is going to be delivered this Saturday (11th). First one had radial banding..... post #315

Official Sony KDL-XXW850B thread

If this replacement has it, Sony is done... maybe I'll look to sharp.
Good luck! This thread is why I ordered from Best Buy and not Fry's so I can return it easily in case that issue shows up. I'll report back when I get it set up and calibrated.
post #373 of 1150 Old 10-07-2014, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 13
To those worrying about banding with the Sony w830b/w840b/w850b, this is an update to the post I made below. I'm on set #2 after replacing the 1st one because of a dead pixel issue and #2 has some bad vertical banding as shown below. It shows up in everything with horizontal movement. Set was manufactured August 2014 so it is quite new for those saying that newer sets don't have this issue.

I sent pictures to Sony about the 2nd set's banding and was told this was a "very unique" case and would be further investigated. I just received a call today and Sony has done a 180 on me, they now consider the banding to be within normal range and cannot keep sending replacements (I've only replaced it once and keep in mind, the 1st set had zero banding).

So there you have it, the amount of banding shown is considered normal by Sony so it's up to you to decide whether or not you find it acceptable. Needless to say as a loyal Sony customer for decades, I'm very disappointed with their decision and am not sure what to do now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by videokid View Post
I would keep replacing until you get a panel that puts out a great picture. I'm replacing my 1st 70W850B with another one, it gets delivered Oct. 11th. If this panel shows radial banding, I'll move on to the next manufacturer until I find a panel that looks good like a TV should. Tube televisions look better than the two sets (Vizio & Sony) that I had to return in the last month!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun. View Post
How many KDL60-W850B owners here have vertical or radial banding on their sets? I'm wondering how common this is for the 60" and whether I should bother replacing it again.

My first set, no banding, dead pixel. Second set has very noticeable banding, no dead pixels.

1st TV (ignore the green circle, just highlighting dead pixel areas for Sony):

2nd replacement TV:
post #374 of 1150 Old 10-07-2014, 01:21 PM

Sorry you're having such a crappy experience. If I see banding on the set I'm about to receive I don't think I'm going to bother with an exchange. I'm just going to return it and go with something else based off what I've seen from this thread.
post #375 of 1150 Old 10-07-2014, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I purchased my KDL60R550A in February...started the warranty process in May for blobs (issues all over this site) I recieved the second one with severe clouding AND blobs, they then sent me without my approval a model without 3D (I own 64 3D movies) declined that one, then they sent me another 550A that had a 4" wide green line that ran down the middle of the screen. Now they are sending me an 850B "A" stock that is to be here tomorrow the 8th. I'm not holding my breath....with all this, I will NEVER purchase another Sony television again. I'm half tempted to sell this one as soon as I get it.
post #376 of 1150 Old 10-07-2014, 02:07 PM

Geez, all of the replacement discussions have really made me re-think getting the W830B. I feel for you guys, especially Shaun, unbelievable they do not believe the banding issue is a problem. I think that story alone says goodbye Sony.
post #377 of 1150 Old 10-07-2014, 02:17 PM

I believe is has a lot to do with the actual frame design it's self. I loosened the screws on the back of the display and my clouding got a lot better...it's still there but definitely better. I'm curious if these problems are due to wall mounting as opposed to using the stand??
post #378 of 1150 Old 10-07-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Geez, all of the replacement discussions have really made me re-think getting the W830B. I feel for you guys, especially Shaun, unbelievable they do not believe the banding issue is a problem. I think that story alone says goodbye Sony.
Thanks ilw! I double posted and should've kept it to one thread but figured I'd update both in case someone did a search for this info.

I've been dealing with this through the Sony Canada President's office and this was their decision so it doesn't get any higher up than that. At the end of the day it is just a TV but still I find myself very surprised and disappointed especially after years of brand loyalty. The customer relations lady that has been helping me seems to be trying her best to find a resolution so maybe there'll be a good outcome. I'll be speaking with them again soon and will keep you guys updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7277 View Post
I believe is has a lot to do with the actual frame design it's self. I loosened the screws on the back of the display and my clouding got a lot better...it's still there but definitely better. I'm curious if these problems are due to wall mounting as opposed to using the stand??
Chris, when you say clouding do you mean backlight bleeding on a dark screen? I haven't had that problem with the w850b, just the banding. If it is the frame design it doesn't really make sense that one set will have these problems and another one won't. I think it's just a quality control issue.
post #379 of 1150 Old 10-07-2014, 09:38 PM

Yes....my 550A has it terrible. The radial banding you have is a design flaw imo. The blobs/clouding does change when I loosened the screws on the back of the set.
post #380 of 1150 Old 10-08-2014, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hey everyone. I've been a long time lurker on these forums but my wife and I finally bought a 60W850B 2 weeks ago and we've been very happy with it! We came from a 6 year old 42" LG LCD that finally bit the dust so 60 inches has been like a theater in our living room. Anyways I'm so far very pleased with the PQ. I have a little bit of clouding, but I can only see it on a totally black screen and it's not enough for me to try and find the "perfect" panel. No radial banding. It was between this and the samsung 60H7150 but the Sony had the better deal and I'm not regretting it.

I played around a little bit with the 2D to 3D conversion and I'm not that impressed with it. I haven't had any real 3D content to try out yet.

So just wanted to say Hi and I enjoy reading these threads!
post #381 of 1150 Old 10-08-2014, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So I picked up 70W840B from local Canadian Best Buy 2 days ago. It still sits unpacked in my leaving room. I'm too busy with my kids and I don't time to set it up, I will probably do it this weekend. if I notice any radial banding or any crazy issues with it you guys are showing/describing it is going back to the store. I'm not playing exchange games, it is not easy to drive 70" monster TVs back and forth. It suppose to replace my perfectly working 51" 720p Samsung plasma. I have a nice projector setup for movies etc. However I found my kids/wife prefers cozy living room to watch TV on the weekends instead of my cave. If I new before my family would rather use TV upstairs I would spend more money at the time to buy 65" 1080P plasma TV. The worst case scenario I will stick with my current plasma, until manufactures will get their act together (probably it will never happen LOL)

I have a stupid questions, since I did not unpack the TV. Do the 2 stands come pre-attached to the base ends? Is it easy to move them to the center position?

BTW... I will follow up in this thread with my findings (keeping my fingers crossed).

post #382 of 1150 Old 10-08-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizhop14 View Post
hey everyone. I've been a long time lurker on these forums but my wife and I finally bought a 60W850B 2 weeks ago and we've been very happy with it! We came from a 6 year old 42" LG LCD that finally bit the dust so 60 inches has been like a theater in our living room. Anyways I'm so far very pleased with the PQ. I have a little bit of clouding, but I can only see it on a totally black screen and it's not enough for me to try and find the "perfect" panel. No radial banding. It was between this and the samsung 60H7150 but the Sony had the better deal and I'm not regretting it.

I played around a little bit with the 2D to 3D conversion and I'm not that impressed with it. I haven't had any real 3D content to try out yet.

So just wanted to say Hi and I enjoy reading these threads!
Glad to hear you are satisfied! Good call on NOT dealing with the lottery for the perfect panel...I don't believe they exist. Minor clouding is tolerable, but some of us had and have defects. Today I get my 60W850B...I'm hoping for this to come to an end.

3D is about 20% of my viewing and 2D is supposed to be really good with this model, but I'm hoping for both to be on par.

Let's hope these delivery guys bring their patience because I'm not accepting the delivery until this thing is set up and running

Last edited by Chris7277; 10-08-2014 at 08:48 AM.
post #383 of 1150 Old 10-08-2014, 04:46 PM

Well we're up and running...setting up the picture now. I figured Coraline is a great dark 3D movie to try first. Just the PS3 menu looked way better in picture quality.
post #384 of 1150 Old 10-08-2014, 06:10 PM

70w850b was delivered today and I got it all set up. 2D Picture quality is great with minimal clouding. I haven't noticed any radial banding as of yet. Tried Avengers and Pacific Rim in 3D. Both were completely unwatchable. Crosstalk and ghosting constantly. This is an awful 3D set and it's a shame because it's my first 3D TV.
post #385 of 1150 Old 10-08-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
70w850b was delivered today and I got it all set up. 2D Picture quality is great with minimal clouding. I haven't noticed any radial banding as of yet. Tried Avengers and Pacific Rim in 3D. Both were completely unwatchable. Crosstalk and ghosting constantly. This is an awful 3D set and it's a shame because it's my first 3D TV.
I also have the same issues...horrible 3D!
I found this from sony
http://sony-paa-pa-en-web--paa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/87005/~/some-3d-content-has-double-images,-outlines,-shadows,-or-halos-around-the
post #386 of 1150 Old 10-08-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7277 View Post
I also have the same issues...horrible 3D!
I found this from sony
http://sony-paa-pa-en-web--paa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/87005/~/some-3d-content-has-double-images,-outlines,-shadows,-or-halos-around-the
I'll try some of this out after watching Homeland . I'll report back what I find out.

Update: Stupid me needed to turn the glasses on and register them. First time user mistake here. 3D on Pacific Rim is looking great now!

Last edited by jgminder; 10-08-2014 at 07:51 PM.
post #387 of 1150 Old 10-09-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Someone had posted they discontinued the W850B but I could not confirm this after searching on line as well as on the Sony website, maybe it is not, who knows but this may partially explain why these are being discounted so heavily at costco and other retailers. I looked at one yesterday at Costco (W830B) and it looked pretty darn good but it is 1080P only...starting to think to stick to looking forward perhaps with a 4k TV, still undecided and I keep reading these posts.
I was at Costco & Best Buy yesterday and Costco sold out all their W830B TV's, salesman said they wouldn't carry anymore of them and Best Buy still had their W850B on the floor until they sell out their stock according to their salesman. Looks like you'd better hurry if you want that one at Costco.
post #388 of 1150 Old 10-09-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark17 View Post

I have a stupid questions, since I did not unpack the TV. Do the 2 stands come pre-attached to the base ends? Is it easy to move them to the center position?

BTW... I will follow up in this thread with my findings (keeping my fingers crossed).

Stand comes mounted on outside. Easy enough to put them in the center.
post #389 of 1150 Old 10-09-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I'll try some of this out after watching Homeland . I'll report back what I find out.

Update: Stupid me needed to turn the glasses on and register them. First time user mistake here. 3D on Pacific Rim is looking great now!
LOL
post #390 of 1150 Old 10-09-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post
I was at Costco & Best Buy yesterday and Costco sold out all their W830B TV's, salesman said they wouldn't carry anymore of them and Best Buy still had their W850B on the floor until they sell out their stock according to their salesman. Looks like you'd better hurry if you want that one at Costco.
Thanks but I will pass, I just cannot deal with the possibility of having the banding issue and Sony not backing me up...granted if it happened real soon you most likely could return the product but it may happen down the road and they do not seem to want to back up their product, at least for Shaun. I think this may mean the W850B or W830B truly are discontinued if they are not restocking them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page