Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #181 of 268 Old 05-28-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 150
You are most welcome. FYI, I have been told that after a couple of hundred hours the PQ will actually gee better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 268 Old 05-29-2014, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Here are my thoughts after having the TV for one week. For context, I had been using a Samsung PN50A550 50" plasma set for the last 6 years.

Screen uniformity: This is a biggie considering the problems that people in this thread have had, so I thought I'd address this first.
2014-05-2919.26.48.jpg 304k .jpg file
Here is a shot of 50% grey. My HTC One camera isn't great in the dark, and I didn't feel like snapping pictures with my nicer camera, so this'll suffice. You can see, just as cited in the Cnet review, that the edges are a bit brighter than the middle. This isn't noticeable at all in program material, however. I took another photo at 100% white, but the result is exactly the same as what is seen here, so I didn't attach it. (I attempted to capture a shot at 0% black, but my phone wasn't up to the task. I can assure you that it exhibits the same uniformity as the grey shot I've provided) With all this said, in person the uniformity variations aren't as pronounced as in the image provided. In particular, the odd darker patches on the extreme border of the image aren't visible at all in person, and may be a result of processing on the phone's camera. If there is demand for a better picture of the uniformity on my set, I'll be happy to do it.

Mounting: My first set got returned due to a mounting spacer snapping off inside the set, so this is of particular interest to me. I've included a shot of what's behind the set when it's mounted, and you'll see the odd way in which it is supported by the spacers on my fixed mount.
2014-05-2919.24.20.jpg 967k .jpg file
Of note here is how low the mounting holes are on the set. Whereas my old television, and many others, had its mounting holes centered vertically on the set, these are way low. As a result, and despite my mounting it as high as possible on my existing set up, the TV sits just a bit higher up than I planned. After using the TV for a week, though, it's just fine where it is. This may be of interest to people using an existing TV mount installation like I was. To emphasize, the holes on the set are so low that the bottom edge of the 70" Sony sits higher than the bottom edge of my 50" Samsung did. Here's a shot of my set up:
2014-05-2919.23.37.jpg 882k .jpg file

Picture Quality: No complaints here. When sitting head-on--I'll address the viewing angles soon--the picture quality after using the AVS 709 calibration disk is amazing. I get very deep black--without crushing--in a completely dark room with the Backlight at 4 and Motionflow set to Clear. (Note: I had Motionflow on True Cinema at first with backlight at 3, but after tinkering and seeing that Clear has better motion resolution without SOE (Soap Opera Effect), I left it on Clear and had to bump up the backlight to compensate for the loss in brightness. I get the same blacks from Clear and 4 as I did with True Cinema and 3)

Gaming: We've seen the input lag results from various sources, and I love playing games on this set. I play a game called Hot Shots Golf on PS3, and there is a statistic for "Perfect Impact" when taking a swing. You achieve perfect impact by getting the final button press exactly correct on a quickly moving meter. My average had been ~30% on my old set, and I've now gotten rounds above 70% because I'm not compensating for input lag. I'm playing in Game mode. I wanted to be able to play with Motionflow set to Impulse, but even in a completely dark room and with the backlight set to max, it's just too damn dim to enjoy. This is a bummer because I was really looking forward to using this setting.

Viewing Angles: The viewing angles are atrocious. It seems I've been spoiled by plasma here. Apparently this is inherent to LCD tvs, but good God it's bad. As soon as one views from beyond the screens side edges, the picture immediately begins to wash out at an alarming rate. Fortunately my wife and I sit within the edges and it isn't a problem for us. But if we have people over to watch a movie or sporting event, it's gonna be tough **** for them. It's worth noting that vertical viewing angles do not suffer, even though I'm sitting well below the set and it's angled ever so slightly up after mounting.

Smart TV: No Amazon Instant Streaming yet. That's a bummer. Otherwise, the Netflix app on here is fantastic. It's really snappy, and the Super-HD stream looks absolutely amazing. I'm getting Dolby Digital from the optical output and it sounds just fine. This is my preferred Netflix platform now.

The screen mirroring feature of the set just flat out doesn't work for me. Fortunately, it's a capable DLNA media player. I simply go into the gallery of either my HTC One or my wife's Nokia 920, select a picture or movie, and it detects the Sony as a media player. One touch, and then a few seconds later the image or movie is up on screen. It's surprisingly quick and there is absolutely no loss in image quality. Once you've opened the stream you can flip through images on your phone and the TV keeps up. All of this can be done from anywhere on the set, and not just on a specific input. Just tap the button on your phone and away you go. Back out of the app on your phone and you're right where you left off on the TV automatically. It's really nice.

Odds and Ends:
  • One annoyance is the delay from when the set powers on to when you can open the menu or smart TV apps. I'd estimate the delay at 15-20 seconds, though that's just off the top of my head. It's a really minor frustration, but it's there.
  • The dedicated Netflix button is great. I have it programmed into my universal remote.
  • Having so many picture presets is nice. I toggle between General for normal TV watching, Cinema for movies, and Games for video games. It's just a few clicks to switch back and forth.
  • Motionflow: I really like the Clear setting. I tested motion resolution by panning a still image on my PS3, and you can really see the difference between Clear and True Cinema in this regard. I was worried about SOE. I flipped back and forth between the various settings on a clip of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia on Netflix, and the effect of the Standard and Smooth settings were gross. Clear, however, seemed exactly the same as True Cinema to me. Purists may want True Cinema for Blu-rays, but I watched the Hobbit a few days ago with Clear and it seemed just fine for me. It should be noted that my Samsung couldn't display 24fps, so maybe I'd prefer True Cinema more if I was used to 24fps viewing. For now, I'm happy with Clear.

That's all I can think to mention at the moment. The viewing angles are hands down the worst part about this set, but otherwise, I love the thing. I'd be happy to answer any questions that you guys might have. I hope this has been helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-05-2919.24.20.jpg (967.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-05-2919.23.37.jpg (881.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-05-2919.26.48.jpg (304.4 KB, 111 views)
Waylo, Hovi1Kenobi and skatsa like this.
post #183 of 268 Old 05-30-2014, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I received a new software update this morning but there is no info on what it was yet. I checked on the sony support page and it still only has info on the May 13th update.
post #184 of 268 Old 06-02-2014, 07:14 AM

Liked: 10
Can anyone help? I want to wall mount my tv but I only get this 4 tiny screws. Are they going to hold the tv? Is there a special mount I need to search?

Thanks!
post #185 of 268 Old 06-02-2014, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by superrober View Post

Can anyone help? I want to wall mount my tv but I only get this 4 tiny screws. Are they going to hold the tv? Is there a special mount I need to search?

Thanks!

Check a few posts up.
post #186 of 268 Old 06-02-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevandyke1 View Post

Check a few posts up.

Yeah, I saw that. I just wanted to make sure everyone is doing the same because they do not look safe .

THanks
post #187 of 268 Old 06-02-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrober View Post

Yeah, I saw that. I just wanted to make sure everyone is doing the same because they do not look safe .

THanks

Somehow the spacers are working and seem secure once they are attached to the brackets. My tv has been hanging for about a month now but I can see where you would be uneasy. I have no idea why Sony chose to go with such a narrow thread.

****Be very careful not to over tighten when screwing them into the back of your tv because one of them snapped on me and others.
post #188 of 268 Old 06-02-2014, 06:46 PM

SWFBR100 Wireless Sub available at Sony Store U.S.! Ordered!
post #189 of 268 Old 06-03-2014, 08:57 AM

I reall like this tv but clouding is horrible on subtitles. Is there anything to do that can reduce this effect ?
post #190 of 268 Old 06-03-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if this will help but I exchanged my 70w850b for a 65w850a and since they both use the X-Reality Pro engine it may work. Switch to VIVID, Backlight to MAX, Picture to MAX, Color temp to COOL, Brightness to 48 and color to 30. The only other difference I can see between these two sets that would effect clouding is the actual panel manufacture. I think the 850b uses a IPS panel and the 850a uses a S-PVA panel. Using these settings greatly improved my blacks also. With my 850a moving even one number up from 48 brightness makes the picture noticeably worse.
post #191 of 268 Old 06-03-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I don't know if this will help but I exchanged my 70w850b for a 65w850a and since they both use the X-Reality Pro engine it may work. Switch to VIVID, Backlight to MAX, Picture to MAX, Color temp to COOL, Brightness to 48 and color to 30. The only other difference I can see between these two sets that would effect clouding is the actual panel manufacture. I think the 850b uses a IPS panel and the 850a uses a S-PVA panel. Using these settings greatly improved my blacks also. With my 850a moving even one number up from 48 brightness makes the picture noticeably worse.

THanks! I´l try that tonight
post #192 of 268 Old 06-03-2014, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm thinking of exchanging my TV for the W850A from last year. I would lose 5" since it only comes in 65" but the specs seem better and it has local dimming and TRILUMINOS. I'm still within my 30 day return window and I would also save $300 bucks.

http://store.sony.com/65-class-64.5-diag-w850a-series-led-hdtv-zid27-KDL65W850A/cat-27-catid-All-Sony-HD-TVs

What do you guys think?

I'm coming from a Panasonic plasma and I want to get at least the same picture quality as my 65ST30.

BMW E46 | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint
post #193 of 268 Old 06-03-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUERiLLAPUNK^MOB View Post

I'm thinking of exchanging my TV for the W850A from last year. I would lose 5" since it only comes in 65" but the specs seem better and it has local dimming and TRILUMINOS. I'm still within my 30 day return window and I would also save $300 bucks.

http://store.sony.com/65-class-64.5-diag-w850a-series-led-hdtv-zid27-KDL65W850A/cat-27-catid-All-Sony-HD-TVs

What do you guys think?

I'm coming from a Panasonic plasma and I want to get at least the same picture quality as my 65ST30.

I was thinking about doing the same thing but ultimately stayed with the 70W850B because of its size even though the 65W850A is a better TV. If the extra 5 inches are not important to you than you would probably be much happier with the 65W850A.

Take a look at this size comparison of screen sizes: http://www.displaywars.com/65-inch-16x9-vs-70-inch

It is worth noting that once calibrated, the 70W850B looks great and I have been more than happy with the picture quality.
post #194 of 268 Old 06-03-2014, 07:08 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovi1Kenobi View Post

I was thinking about doing the same thing but ultimately stayed with the 70W850B because of its size even though the 65W850A is a better TV. If the extra 5 inches are not important to you than you would probably be much happier with the 65W850A.

Take a look at this size comparison of screen sizes: http://www.displaywars.com/65-inch-16x9-vs-70-inch

It is worth noting that once calibrated, the 70W850B looks great and I have been more than happy with the picture quality.

I've calibrated the 70W850B (with DVE HD Basics) and I am still not happy with it. I'm hoping with the "local dimming" of the 850A will be enough to satisfy me since I'm coming from a 65ST30 (which has a cracked panel)

The radial banding and poor details in black have been annoying me for almost a month. I've already scheduled the swap from the 850B to the 850A.

BMW E46 | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint
post #195 of 268 Old 06-03-2014, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think it's the Triluminos that gives the 850a a better picture than the 850b. I think it's the S-PVA panel which I believe comes from Samsung. Off axis viewing is sacrificed a bit for better PQ, especially blacks. Because they both use the X-Reality Pro engine I found that the preferred settings on the 850a actually worked pretty well on my 850b. I just couldn't live with the banding. I've gotten used to losing the 5 inches. Don't even miss it.
post #196 of 268 Old 06-04-2014, 07:09 AM

My tv requests an update to watch netflix but when I try to update there´s no software available ? I´m freaking out a little
post #197 of 268 Old 06-05-2014, 11:09 PM

This thread has been very helpful...thank you to all.

I Just Brought Home the 70W830B today from Costco.  It will replace my 8 year old Sony Grand Wega 70" rear projection, which is slowly dying (big yellow blob on-screen now), and is sitting on the floor in front of it right now!  (Yeah...I can get it On and Off my truck by myself, but I need a second body to get the Old Monster off the stand!  Maybe tomorrow?!)

What I Really wanted was an 80" Sharp or 85" Samsung....neither of which I can Actually Afford!  My cousin had a 65" Samsung...I like it...but...while shopping with me this week, we found That model was already updated since he bought his less than 90 days ago...and the newer one, with Quad-Core instead of Dual-Core, was Cheaper!  So...I helped him take it off the wall, return it, and put the new one up!  It is Gorgeous!  Better picture, better sound, better remote!

Sadly, I can Not find a 75" 3D Samsung at a great price for me....so...happened to see this Sony at Costco...bought it, with the extra 3 years Square Trade from Costco for only $90, which gives me 5 years coverage.

I May end up returning it within the 90 days, if I am not happy with it....since it is Not my First Choice (Third, actually!) and I Really wanted something Bigger, as long as I was replacing the old Sony!  Oh, well....we shall see.

Now.... I need to get a 3D blu-ray player!

Bruce Wayne

^^X^^

post #198 of 268 Old 06-06-2014, 03:09 AM

Hi there,

got my 60W855B set some days ago. It's a total blast in terms of 2D PQ.

But... i tried 3D today - the picture is so bad, it's almost criminal. Advertising 3D, when it's totally unusable?
Double outlines, color faults... if i didn't know better, i'd say it's broken. Tried different sources and materials.
Read some german thrads, where people are experiencing the same.

How's the impression over here? Any tips for improving 3D? Any news from Sony on software-updates to fix this?

Allthough i'm not that much into 3D, that's totally unacceptable frown.gif

Thanks in advance for your impressions.
Phear
post #199 of 268 Old 06-06-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phear View Post

Hi there,

got my 60W855B set some days ago. It's a total blast in terms of 2D PQ.

But... i tried 3D today - the picture is so bad, it's almost criminal. Advertising 3D, when it's totally unusable?
Double outlines, color faults... if i didn't know better, i'd say it's broken. Tried different sources and materials.
Read some german thrads, where people are experiencing the same.

How's the impression over here? Any tips for improving 3D? Any news from Sony on software-updates to fix this?

Allthough i'm not that much into 3D, that's totally unacceptable frown.gif

Thanks in advance for your impressions.
Phear

3d is ugly any way you look at it, even passive. I dont think its really that bad on this set. I´m much more annoyed by the clouding
post #200 of 268 Old 06-06-2014, 10:23 AM

Yeah, as i said, i'm not that much into 3d either. Got it working OK now in "Graphics" Scene-Preset. So, I'm fine with that for now.

Clouding is an issue, too. I try to overlook it, but i got a quite bright spot top left which is visible on every black bar. This is saddening as the TV offers really great PQ and there is nothing else comparable in this size/price range.

I'm torn...
post #201 of 268 Old 06-06-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phear View Post

Yeah, as i said, i'm not that much into 3d either. Got it working OK now in "Graphics" Scene-Preset. So, I'm fine with that for now.

Clouding is an issue, too. I try to overlook it, but i got a quite bright spot top left which is visible on every black bar. This is saddening as the TV offers really great PQ and there is nothing else comparable in this size/price range.

I'm torn...

Well if you dont like it change it. I´ve heard the Samsung f8000 is much better. I have the impression its very easy to swap tvs in the US. In my country nope. What you see is what you get, forever..frown.gif
post #202 of 268 Old 06-08-2014, 10:40 AM

Anyone else's internet connectivity still present but none of the movie resources work...since the firmware update a couple weeks ago?

post #203 of 268 Old 06-08-2014, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I set my new tv(kdl-65850w) up last night. Still tweaking picture settings. Enough to get a novices head spinning. I did have a question regarding the apps. Maybe some guidance. I have the set hooked up to directv through an Onkyo receiver. When I switch to one of the sony apps the picture changes ,but the sound doesn't. Am I missing something? Do I need to run an optical cable from the TV back to my Onkyo receiver?Of course Sony tech support was of no help.
Thanks fro any input,

Howard
post #204 of 268 Old 06-11-2014, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxdad View Post
I set my new tv(kdl-65850w) up last night. Still tweaking picture settings. Enough to get a novices head spinning. I did have a question regarding the apps. Maybe some guidance. I have the set hooked up to directv through an Onkyo receiver. When I switch to one of the sony apps the picture changes ,but the sound doesn't. Am I missing something? Do I need to run an optical cable from the TV back to my Onkyo receiver?Of course Sony tech support was of no help.
Thanks fro any input,

Howard
There should be an HDMI port on the TV that has ARC (Audio Return Channel) This will send sound back to your receiver. The port you use on your receiver may also matter as well. IDK, I have a dumb TV, so I don't use ARC.
post #205 of 268 Old 06-11-2014, 08:57 PM

So, how bad is the 3D on the 70"? Has it gotten better with recent updates? This set is on sale at Fry's for $1798. The sale is over tomorrow (6/12). I've looked at 5 of these sets at different stores. I can see minor issues on some, but not others. They look good enough for me to risk it at that price, but I can't test the 3D, at least not in the stores I asked.

If it was passive, I'd already have it. If I don't pull the trigger on this, I'm thinking of a 75" Sammy, the LG 70LB7100 or the Vizio M801D-A3R. I picked these models from looking at the displaylag.com database.
post #206 of 268 Old 06-12-2014, 12:06 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
You are most welcome. FYI, I have been told that after a couple of hundred hours the PQ will actually gee better.
Just had my 70w850b delivered yesterday. Your settings rock!!! The only thing I changed was to bump up color to 50 and change motionflow to tru-cine to get rid of the soap opera effect. It's unbelievable as to how poorly calibrated these units come out of the factory.

Cheers
post #207 of 268 Old 06-12-2014, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks Chip
The ARC needed to be activated on my receiver.That fixed it.
Howard
post #208 of 268 Old 06-12-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipgl73 View Post
So, how bad is the 3D on the 70"? Has it gotten better with recent updates? This set is on sale at Fry's for $1798. The sale is over tomorrow (6/12). I've looked at 5 of these sets at different stores. I can see minor issues on some, but not others. They look good enough for me to risk it at that price, but I can't test the 3D, at least not in the stores I asked.

If it was passive, I'd already have it. If I don't pull the trigger on this, I'm thinking of a 75" Sammy, the LG 70LB7100 or the Vizio M801D-A3R. I picked these models from looking at the displaylag.com database.
I think the 3D is great...easily as good as my cousin's Samsung...which is the TV I really wanted, but couldn't afford the 75". With DirecTV, I get one 3D channel and I have been watching it, until I decide which 3D blu-ray player to buy! And the glasses are actually more comfortable than the Samsung's, the Sony having a soft rubber nose bridge! Enjoy the 3D!
post #209 of 268 Old 06-12-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestbuystinks View Post
Just had my 70w850b delivered yesterday. Your settings rock!!! The only thing I changed was to bump up color to 50 and change motionflow to tru-cine to get rid of the soap opera effect. It's unbelievable as to how poorly calibrated these units come out of the factory.

Cheers
Glad you like them. Funny but I tried those settings while I was waiting for my 850b replacement, the 850a. Since both sets use the X-Reality Pro and since so many people love those settings on the 850a thread I tried them on my 850b. The color setting on the 850a at 50 looked good until I checked out a baseball game or a golf tournament. Yowser!! The green just looked electric. Maybe the difference in panels or the Triluminus filter on the 850a but backing the color down to 28 did the trick and the other colors looked great. FYI. For adjusting color and skin tones I record a episode of PTI on ESPN (2:30pm). Many places you can pause and use the two hosts as test dummies plus tons of different colors present.
post #210 of 268 Old 06-12-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman4oz View Post
I think the 3D is great...easily as good as my cousin's Samsung...which is the TV I really wanted, but couldn't afford the 75". With DirecTV, I get one 3D channel and I have been watching it, until I decide which 3D blu-ray player to buy! And the glasses are actually more comfortable than the Samsung's, the Sony having a soft rubber nose bridge! Enjoy the 3D!
Thanks, just bought it. Btw, I got it from Best Buy at that price. They called the local frys and confirmed the price then matched it. Price is good today. I'm going out of town, so I'll get it on the 21st.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page