Official Sony KDL-XXW850B thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #241 of 266 Old 07-17-2014, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Just went through same thing the m series vs the 70 850b to me quality was more important yes there are people with issues but they are few of many that don't come on forums to post. And sorry quality wise Sony and vizio can't compare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 266 Old 07-18-2014, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I got the Sony 70" 3D HDTV KDL-70W830B a week ago from Costco and absolutely love it.
My question is what is the difference between mine and the Sony 70" 3D HDTV KDL-70W850B ?
I think mine is newer an and it has the chrome stands and brushed aluminum wedge on the sides.
Definitely a nicer looking HDTV.
Maybe they ironed out the bugs with the newer version?

Thoughts?
Worktolivelife likes this.
post #243 of 266 Old 07-18-2014, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post
I got the Sony 70" 3D HDTV KDL-70W830B a week ago from Costco and absolutely love it.
My question is what is the difference between mine and the Sony 70" 3D HDTV KDL-70W850B ?
I think mine is newer an and it has the chrome stands and brushed aluminum wedge on the sides.
Definitely a nicer looking HDTV.
Maybe they ironed out the bugs with the newer version?

Thoughts?
Same exact tv just different cosmetics that's all
post #244 of 266 Old 07-21-2014, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Whoops, accidentally posted this to a different thread but:

I just read on another forum that some people were getting vignetting (darker vertical edges and corners on the tv) on their 60w850b. Anyone here have this problem? What about with radial banding, or is that issue only prevalent on the 70w850b?

Has anyone compared their 60w850b to the 65w850a? I figure if both have vignetting might as well go with a bigger size.
post #245 of 266 Old 07-21-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Check out the 65w850a thread and you'll see an explanation for the edge clouding and a possible fix. I believe the sets you're comparing use different panels. The 65w850a is a S-PVA panel from Samsung.
post #246 of 266 Old 07-21-2014, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevandyke1 View Post

Mounting: My first set got returned due to a mounting spacer snapping off inside the set, so this is of particular interest to me. I've included a shot of what's behind the set when it's mounted, and you'll see the odd way in which it is supported by the spacers on my fixed mount.
<a class="attachment HM-tool loginreq" href="/attachments/78138" title="Mounted side">2014-05-2919.24.20.jpg 967k .jpg file
Of note here is how low the mounting holes are on the set. Whereas my old television, and many others, had its mounting holes centered vertically on the set, these are way low. As a result, and despite my mounting it as high as possible on my existing set up, the TV sits just a bit higher up than I planned. After using the TV for a week, though, it's just fine where it is. This may be of interest to people using an existing TV mount installation like I was. To emphasize, the holes on the set are so low that the bottom edge of the 70" Sony sits higher than the bottom edge of my 50" Samsung did. Here's a shot of my set up:
<a class="attachment HM-tool loginreq" href="/attachments/78139" title="Mount front">2014-05-2919.23.37.jpg 882k .jpg file

Thanks for your insight into wall mounting. This is what my decision point is between the 850B and 800B - how it hangs off the wall. How far from the the wall to the front of the TV does it on both the top and the bottom of the set? It seems the top is sticking out a fair bit. If you dont mind measuring

Last edited by skatsa; 07-21-2014 at 05:52 PM.
post #247 of 266 Old 07-21-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakihanna View Post
Couple of Pictures of my 70w850b, remember this are taken with crappy galaxy s3 camera lol
Do you mind sharing some pics of how its wall mounted from the side view?
post #248 of 266 Old 07-21-2014, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatsa View Post
Thanks for your insight into wall mounting. This is what my decision point is between the 850B and 800B - how it hangs off the wall. How far off the wall does the TV hang on both the top and the bottom ? It seems the top is sticking out a fair bit. If you dont mind measuring
No problem. Keep in mind that the distance from the wall will be determined by the mount you're using, but I'm assuming you are chiefly concerned with the "tilt" of the TV when it's mounted. For my set, here are the distances of the front of the set from the wall:

Top: 4 5/8"
Bottom: 5 3/16"

You're right that the top appears to be protruding, but it's actually the spacers working to counteract the wedge-shaped design and make it appear flat when it's on the wall. The picture you've seen is a bit misleading because of the position of the lens between the wall and TV, and a more accurate judge of the "straightness" of the set is the front edge of the bookcase in that room which is visible in the photo. By the measurements above, you can see that it's fairly straight but still slightly tilted upwards.

Having said that, it's unnoticable to me personally. Additionally, despite the horrid horizontal viewing angles of the set, the vertical viewing angles are just dandy, and the resulting tilt of the set when it's on the wall (and even much more extreme angles) does not impact quality at all.

Hope this is helpful!
post #249 of 266 Old 07-21-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
No problem. Keep in mind that the distance from the wall will be determined by the mount you're using, but I'm assuming you are chiefly concerned with the "tilt" of the TV when it's mounted. For my set, here are the distances of the front of the set from the wall:

Top: 4 5/8"
Bottom: 5 3/16"
Cheers What wall mount do you have? As the 850b is VESA compatible, can I technically buy any VESA wall mount (the slimmest as possible) and will be fine?
post #250 of 266 Old 07-21-2014, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Here are my thoughts after having the TV for one week. For context, I had been using a Samsung PN50A550 50" plasma set for the last 6 years.

Screen uniformity: This is a biggie considering the problems that people in this thread have had, so I thought I'd address this first.
<a class="attachment HM-tool loginreq" href="/attachments/78140" title="Uniformity">2014-05-2919.26.48.jpg 304k .jpg file
Here is a shot of 50% grey. My HTC One camera isn't great in the dark, and I didn't feel like snapping pictures with my nicer camera, so this'll suffice. You can see, just as cited in the Cnet review, that the edges are a bit brighter than the middle. This isn't noticeable at all in program material, however. I took another photo at 100% white, but the result is exactly the same as what is seen here, so I didn't attach it. (I attempted to capture a shot at 0% black, but my phone wasn't up to the task. I can assure you that it exhibits the same uniformity as the grey shot I've provided) With all this said, in person the uniformity variations aren't as pronounced as in the image provided. In particular, the odd darker patches on the extreme border of the image aren't visible at all in person, and may be a result of processing on the phone's camera. If there is demand for a better picture of the uniformity on my set, I'll be happy to do it.

Mounting: My first set got returned due to a mounting spacer snapping off inside the set, so this is of particular interest to me. I've included a shot of what's behind the set when it's mounted, and you'll see the odd way in which it is supported by the spacers on my fixed mount.
<a class="attachment HM-tool loginreq" href="/attachments/78138" title="Mounted side">2014-05-2919.24.20.jpg 967k .jpg file
Of note here is how low the mounting holes are on the set. Whereas my old television, and many others, had its mounting holes centered vertically on the set, these are way low. As a result, and despite my mounting it as high as possible on my existing set up, the TV sits just a bit higher up than I planned. After using the TV for a week, though, it's just fine where it is. This may be of interest to people using an existing TV mount installation like I was. To emphasize, the holes on the set are so low that the bottom edge of the 70" Sony sits higher than the bottom edge of my 50" Samsung did. Here's a shot of my set up:
<a class="attachment HM-tool loginreq" href="/attachments/78139" title="Mount front">2014-05-2919.23.37.jpg 882k .jpg file

Picture Quality: No complaints here. When sitting head-on--I'll address the viewing angles soon--the picture quality after using the AVS 709 calibration disk is amazing. I get very deep black--without crushing--in a completely dark room with the Backlight at 4 and Motionflow set to Clear. (Note: I had Motionflow on True Cinema at first with backlight at 3, but after tinkering and seeing that Clear has better motion resolution without SOE (Soap Opera Effect), I left it on Clear and had to bump up the backlight to compensate for the loss in brightness. I get the same blacks from Clear and 4 as I did with True Cinema and 3)

Gaming: We've seen the input lag results from various sources, and I love playing games on this set. I play a game called Hot Shots Golf on PS3, and there is a statistic for "Perfect Impact" when taking a swing. You achieve perfect impact by getting the final button press exactly correct on a quickly moving meter. My average had been ~30% on my old set, and I've now gotten rounds above 70% because I'm not compensating for input lag. I'm playing in Game mode. I wanted to be able to play with Motionflow set to Impulse, but even in a completely dark room and with the backlight set to max, it's just too damn dim to enjoy. This is a bummer because I was really looking forward to using this setting.

Viewing Angles: The viewing angles are atrocious. It seems I've been spoiled by plasma here. Apparently this is inherent to LCD tvs, but good God it's bad. As soon as one views from beyond the screens side edges, the picture immediately begins to wash out at an alarming rate. Fortunately my wife and I sit within the edges and it isn't a problem for us. But if we have people over to watch a movie or sporting event, it's gonna be tough **** for them. It's worth noting that vertical viewing angles do not suffer, even though I'm sitting well below the set and it's angled ever so slightly up after mounting.

Smart TV: No Amazon Instant Streaming yet. That's a bummer. Otherwise, the Netflix app on here is fantastic. It's really snappy, and the Super-HD stream looks absolutely amazing. I'm getting Dolby Digital from the optical output and it sounds just fine. This is my preferred Netflix platform now.

The screen mirroring feature of the set just flat out doesn't work for me. Fortunately, it's a capable DLNA media player. I simply go into the gallery of either my HTC One or my wife's Nokia 920, select a picture or movie, and it detects the Sony as a media player. One touch, and then a few seconds later the image or movie is up on screen. It's surprisingly quick and there is absolutely no loss in image quality. Once you've opened the stream you can flip through images on your phone and the TV keeps up. All of this can be done from anywhere on the set, and not just on a specific input. Just tap the button on your phone and away you go. Back out of the app on your phone and you're right where you left off on the TV automatically. It's really nice.

Odds and Ends:
  • One annoyance is the delay from when the set powers on to when you can open the menu or smart TV apps. I'd estimate the delay at 15-20 seconds, though that's just off the top of my head. It's a really minor frustration, but it's there.
  • The dedicated Netflix button is great. I have it programmed into my universal remote.
  • Having so many picture presets is nice. I toggle between General for normal TV watching, Cinema for movies, and Games for video games. It's just a few clicks to switch back and forth.
  • Motionflow: I really like the Clear setting. I tested motion resolution by panning a still image on my PS3, and you can really see the difference between Clear and True Cinema in this regard. I was worried about SOE. I flipped back and forth between the various settings on a clip of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia on Netflix, and the effect of the Standard and Smooth settings were gross. Clear, however, seemed exactly the same as True Cinema to me. Purists may want True Cinema for Blu-rays, but I watched the Hobbit a few days ago with Clear and it seemed just fine for me. It should be noted that my Samsung couldn't display 24fps, so maybe I'd prefer True Cinema more if I was used to 24fps viewing. For now, I'm happy with Clear.
That's all I can think to mention at the moment. The viewing angles are hands down the worst part about this set, but otherwise, I love the thing. I'd be happy to answer any questions that you guys might have. I hope this has been helpful.
What is the advantage of having it mounted on the wall when you have a stand below it?
I would think the viewing would be better with it lower on stand than up higher on the wall and why I didn't mount mine. See pics in sig.

Your quote:
My first set got returned due to a mounting spacer snapping off inside the set, so this is of particular interest to me. I've included a shot of what's behind the set when it's mounted, and you'll see the odd way in which it is supported by the spacers on my fixed mount.

And this is a real concern and why I won't mount on the wall... the TV is too expensive to take any chances.

Last edited by jack54; 07-21-2014 at 06:17 PM.
post #251 of 266 Old 07-21-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Cheers What wall mount do you have? As the 850b is VESA compatible, can I technically buy any VESA wall mount (the slimmest as possible) and will be fine?
I have the Sanus VMPL250B. You can use any VESA wall mount that can accommodate a TV of this size. Note that the TV Size specifications on most mounts aren't what's important. It's the supported weight that's important. You'll also need to make sure that the mount can hang a TV that uses 400 mm x 300 mm spacing, but that should be just about all of the ones that can hang a TV this heavy.
post #252 of 266 Old 07-21-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post
What is the advantage of having it mounted on the wall when you have a stand below it?
I would think the viewing would be better with it lower on stand than up higher on the wall and why I didn't mount mine. See pics in sig.

Your quote:
My first set got returned due to a mounting spacer snapping off inside the set, so this is of particular interest to me. I've included a shot of what's behind the set when it's mounted, and you'll see the odd way in which it is supported by the spacers on my fixed mount.

And this is a real concern and why I won't mount on the wall... the TV is too expensive to take any chances.
It's purely an aesthetic thing. Sure, the TV's height would be marginally improved, in my case, by using the included stand, but I love the look of a TV on the wall with no wires in sight. I am by no means craning my neck when I watch this set. The bottom of the TV is just a few inches above eye level while I'm seated.
post #253 of 266 Old 07-21-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I have the Sanus VMPL250B. You can use any VESA wall mount that can accommodate a TV of this size. Note that the TV Size specifications on most mounts aren't what's important. It's the supported weight that's important. You'll also need to make sure that the mount can hang a TV that uses 400 mm x 300 mm spacing, but that should be just about all of the ones that can hang a TV this heavy.
Just looking at the Sony Australis site (http://www.sony.com.au/product/kdl-60w850b) for the 60" model which im thinking of, it has:

VESA® Hole Spacing Compatible Yes
VESA® Hole Pitch 300 x 300 mm

So it seems the 60" is 300 x 300. Does that mean the screws on the TV are at the ends of the square of 300 x 300 ? Thus the VESA mount I buy must be able to hang screws that are spaced at 300 x 300 ?

Also would you happen to know what they mean by "Hole Spacing Compatible?

PS - thanks for all your help so far. Just trying to nail the wall mount situation before I commit to the 60w850b instead of the 55w800b!
post #254 of 266 Old 07-21-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Just looking at the Sony Australis site (http://www.sony.com.au/product/kdl-60w850b) for the 60" model which im thinking of, it has:

VESA® Hole Spacing Compatible Yes
VESA® Hole Pitch 300 x 300 mm

So it seems the 60" is 300 x 300. Does that mean the screws on the TV are at the ends of the square of 300 x 300 ? Thus the VESA mount I buy must be able to hang screws that are spaced at 300 x 300 ?

Also would you happen to know what they mean by "Hole Spacing Compatible?

PS - thanks for all your help so far. Just trying to nail the wall mount situation before I commit to the 60w850b instead of the 55w800b!
Ah, I totally missed that you were looking at the 60 inch version. I cited specs for the 70 inch version. Yes, 300 mm x 300 mm means precisely what you think it means. I assume Hole Spacing Compatible just means that the TV accepts the packed-in spacers before being mounted on the wall.
post #255 of 266 Old 07-21-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Ah, I totally missed that you were looking at the 60 inch version. I cited specs for the 70 inch version. Yes, 300 mm x 300 mm means precisely what you think it means. I assume Hole Spacing Compatible just means that the TV accepts the packed-in spacers before being mounted on the wall.
I wonder what the TV would look like if you DIDNT use the spacers included, and just used a tiltable VESA wall mount? Effectively does that remove the need for the spacers? Then just tild the set down ?
post #256 of 266 Old 07-21-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:

2014-05-2919.24.20.jpg 967k .jpg file
2014-05-2919.23.37.jpg 882k .jpg file
Thanks for posting this. Has anyone figured out a more reliable alternative to Sony's provided mounting spacers? Was it just a bad batch?
post #257 of 266 Old 07-21-2014, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Btw, is there a service menu for the w850b's? I was trying to check my panel's hours using the "Display, 5, Vol. - , Power" sequence and got no response. Also tried Vol + instead of Vol.- and nothing. Anyone have success?
post #258 of 266 Old 07-23-2014, 02:55 PM

Can someone please provide measurements of the provided spacers for the 60w850b? Thread size, length, m6, m5 etc. I'm going to try to find better hardware after reading about the snapped spacers in this thread. TV hasn't been delivered yet but would like to be prepped and ready to go when it does. Thanks!
provenflipper likes this.

Last edited by Shaun.; 07-23-2014 at 03:07 PM.
post #259 of 266 Old 07-24-2014, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun. View Post
Can someone please provide measurements of the provided spacers for the 60w850b? Thread size, length, m6, m5 etc. I'm going to try to find better hardware after reading about the snapped spacers in this thread. TV hasn't been delivered yet but would like to be prepped and ready to go when it does. Thanks!
This would be awesome. I'm a little scared of using the included hardware, and was actually going to try and use the spacers that come with most wall mounts.
Shaun. likes this.
post #260 of 266 Old 07-24-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Anybody have radial banding lately?
post #261 of 266 Old 07-29-2014, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I too am concerned about the provided spacers...they use M5 for the short ones and M6 for the long ones, a pair of each. I have heard a few cases where the spacer snaps leaving the threaded part inside the TV. Not a big deal though as you can always take it out. The problem is when it snaps while mounted on the wall.

I have not mounted mine to the wall exactly because of this. I dont think there is much we can do as an alternative to the provided spacers. We cannot change the fact that the TV itself has M5 and M6 holes (female threading) so whatever other screw we find will have to be of those sized.
post #262 of 266 Old 07-29-2014, 10:30 AM

I just got my set home on Sunday (70W850B) and I'm loving it so far. I was originally planning to mount it, but after setting it on my stand "temporarily" while I set the rest of the room up, I really ended up liking it where it was. The only advantage of mounting it (to me) would be saving some space in the room, but I think I'll run it on the legs for a while.

Great TV!
post #263 of 266 Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

Hey all, just picked up the 60W850B and so far am very impressed. I've tried settings found on here, Cnet, and Rtings.com and have gotten an excellent picture from my Blu Rays and Blu Ray rips. But I am having issues with other content from my media server. Content is 720p or 1080p, h.264 video with a bit rate between 2,200 kbps and 4,400kbps. Picture looks great during bright scenes but awful during darker scenes. Its very hazy, and especially bad if there's smoke or rain. I currently have virtually all processing settings turned off. Anybody recommend any changes I should make to improve quality? Also, what about for cable TV? I see noise on the picture. My provider (Videotron, Montreal) seems to compress the signal so I see a lot of MPEG artifacts. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
post #264 of 266 Old Today, 05:21 PM

Unacceptable uniformity

Does anybody have a 60" W850b that does not have noticeable grey uniformity issues? I am getting very distracting vertical dark areas (DSE) when watching hockey or footie matches. This is my first edge lit LED TV. So far I am not impressed and think this tech is **** if it cannot maintain a respectable screen uniformity. My 6 years old 46" W4100 (CCFL) does not have this issue. Does anybody have a respectable panel on their set? Should I even bother with exchanges or just get a refund and get a plasma? I really don't feel like playing a panel lottery if there are no good sets out there.

Last edited by BassMan69; Today at 05:48 PM.
post #265 of 266 Old Today, 08:16 PM

Anyone with this display notice a weird bass response? There is strange speaker vibration randomly. I couldn't find any setting to turn off the bass completely. Any ideas?
post #266 of 266 Old Today, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I just got my KDL-70W850B wall mounted. As someone else mentioned, the mounting holes are very low. I have never had a TV with holes this low. I have extensive experience with wall mounting TVs. This was one of the more difficult sets to mount. I am not sure why. I own 16 (3 at my beach home and 13 at my main home) wall mounted LCDs and I have mounted at least 10 others for friends/family.

Other thoughts I wanted to add. I won't rehash the usual comments from everyone else. Suffice it to say, I am quite happy with the picture. The 3D wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

- Before I removed the "stand" I was surprised at how much the stand (feet) gave. I mean, it felt like the TV would snap them.

- In addition to the TV being "wobbly" on the stand, it also is wobbly on the wall. This is probably due to the fact of that goofy wedge design which causes the TV to sit pretty far off of the wall. I noticed this as I was wiping the screen to get rid of the palmprints from wall mounting it. I had a Sharp LC-60LE745U (2 year old set) in the same spot where this Sony now sits. That Sharp was really thin and sat almost flush up against the wall. It did not budge when I'd wipe it's screen. The Sony flexes a LOT. Enough to make me worry.

- The TV is a bit more reflective than the Sharp it replaced on my wall.

- The TV is sluggish. You have to wait for it to "boot" before you can do anything. Even switching inputs. This isn't an issue for me as I don't use any of the "smart" features. I use my blu-ray player for Netflix and Amazon viewing. I also leave it parked on 1 input (I let my A/V receiver do the switching) I just wanted to make mention of it.

Here are some pics. This TV is in the family room of my beach home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010146.jpg (52.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010145.jpg (40.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg P1010144.jpg (776.3 KB, 0 views)

Dino
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page