Hard decision please help Samsung vs Sony big screens - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2014, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Hello Everyone,

I have an issue that I would like your feedback on.  I am currently looking to get a large LCD TV.  Preferably 75" but it seems that I have very little options.  I am using this primarily as a gaming TV as well as for movies (man cave TV) so the two concerns that I have is PQ and input lag.  I went out and bought a UN75F6400 LCD and since the stand is so wide I have not even opened the box yet since I need a new TV stand.  At the time I was trying to decide between the Sony KDL-70R550A and the Samsung.  Since the Sony was discontinued and there are currently no other TVs that size with acceptable input lag it made my decision easy.  Now that I have the TV, unopened, I have found the 850a and 850b Sony TVs and am wondering if I should change my decision.  Although the Sony TVs are not quite as big I have the problem of do I want quality (65" 850a) or quantity (75" F6400).  It seems that the 70" 850b is a good middle ground in both size and performance but I really do not like the wedge design and from what I have been reading the panel is not of the same quality as the 850a.  My seating is about 10' from where the TV will be so I am on the cusp of either one being adequate size.  I have compared the two sizes in the store and although bigger is better, I dont want crap quality either and I have seen mixed review about the F6400 but the Sony review seem to be pretty solid other than some dark areas on the perimeter.  Has anyone here dealt with these models or have any recommendations?

On a side note, when I went and picked up the Samsung the workers brought the TV out on a dolly.  I got ready to help them lift it into my truck and they started rolling the box (cartwheels) closer to my truck.  When they got to the tailgate they put the box on its side and slid it in.  In my experience I know you are supposed to keep the boxes upright so I mentioned that fact and they said "Dont worry, we set it so the screen is facing up so you are good to go".  I thought this was weird but I was preoccupied with the new TV in my truck so I wanted to get home asap.  Once I got home I realized my stand was nowhere big enough so I did not unpack.  However, I did notice all of the pictures on the box stating not to put the box on its side and do not transport on its side.  So, now I am worried that, if I decide to keep this TV, when I open the box the TV will be DOA and will have to deal with the headache of the vendor saying that it was good when I left and blah blah blah.  Has anyone here had to deal with this or have any insight?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 30
LCDs have no problem with them being laid on their sides or on their backs.
Plasmas are the ones you should be worried about doing that.

As for the comparisons.
The only real advantage the Sony has over the Samsung set is better input lag, the Samsung should actually give you a better picture quality compared to the Sony.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
I've owned both the 70R550(24 hours) and the 65F8000 (current HT panel).

Keep in mind Sony is not manufacturing their own panels and so you can end up with apples/oranges PQ results or in the case of the 70R550 GARBAGE PQ. I've owned several past Sony panels and I had a 60D8000 Samsung to go larger when we moved to Naples,FL. I was shocked at how inferior the PQ was compared to my 2 yr old Samsung D8000 and I spent hours tweaking and it still look like crap compared to my Samsung and the old Sony Z4100 in the bedroom.

Within 24 hours I arranged a return of the 70R550 to Amazon and replaced it with the 65F8000 paying several hundred more but with no regrets whatsoever. The problem is when you have great PQ in an adjacent room and your HT panel cannot come close to matching it - it must go!

I'm not saying stay away from Sony but understand who's building the panel and in this case I believe it's LG Budget division - bigger cannot make up for a crap vision panel when your other secondary panels prove superior to it. Will upgrade likely to a 75" 4K Samsung in the months ahead but I would never consider a budget TV when it looks like tech from ten years ago and has zero PQ POP(aka 70R550).

I would still consider a high end Sony with 4K but it's 79" is too wide for my Ent Ctr but never order again without an intense on-site audition at these prices and with return rights after the experience with the 70R550 Sony. My F8000 is not holy grail perfect for sure but comparatively wins hands down in this match for under $3K when I bought it last summer. Good Luck!smile.gif
bellest likes this.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
Old 03-21-2014, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I've been considering the Sammy F7100, F7500, and F8000. I know the F8000 is a excellent TV, but I'm wondering if there is a significant drop off in image quality with the other two. If money is no option you obviously go for the F8000, but if it IS are the other two viable?
Old 03-21-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

I'm not saying stay away from Sony but understand who's building the panel and in this case I believe it's LG Budget division - bigger cannot make up for a crap vision panel when your other secondary panels prove superior to it.
Pretty sure it uses a Sharp panel since they're pretty much the only game in town at 70".
Old 03-22-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Pretty sure it uses a Sharp panel since they're pretty much the only game in town at 70".
I believe LG can build or subcontract 70" glass also as AUO and Konka in China also manufactures large glass in Asia - there are no-name manufacturers in Asia producing large glass that become rebadged by others.

The reason I don't believe it's Sharp is I've owned Sharp 57", 45" and their PQ was vastly superior to this Sony R550. Or Sony may have subcontracted with AUO/Konka et al, directly as I've read trade Journals where Sony was shopping Asia subcontractors in Taiwan and China and Sony cancelled their partnership and their contract with Sharp about two years ago - to be honest I cannot imagine a Sharp panel looking that bad and many of the feature sets are more akin to LG than Sharp. Samsung is a minor shareholder in Sharp since their financial troubles but I don't think they are using Sharp large glass just yet - for now I think they are using it for smart phone/tablets and smaller LCD's..

There is large glass being produced in Asia at 8G level and rebadged whereas Sharp is producing primarily 10G quality glass. China wanted Sharp to build a 10G plant for them but Sharp had refused to go above 8G level so as not to cannibalize there own production and five billion dollar investment. I don't know that China ever got awarded a 10G plant and so you could have 8G glass coming out of China and rebadged in China and for export but larger glass is being manufactured in Asia not just 10G Sharp level.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 633
FWIW, I think Sharp's large LCDs look terrible, I don't exactly know how to explain it, but they seem grainy / coarse. I noticed it several years ago when I ended up buying a 52" Samsung, and I still notice it every time I go into Costco and see the large Sharp and the Vizio 80" with a Sharp panel. I would not knowingly buy a TV model if it has a Sharp panel, or had the potential to have a Sharp panel. If I had my pick I'd take a TV with a Samsung S-PVA LCD panel.