Need suggestions on a new Tv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-21-2014, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a Samsung PN58B860 60 inch Plasma that I spent around 3k on just over 5 years ago. I am currently having issues with it power cycling. Samsung has been out to my house 3 times replaced the Mainboard 2 times both power boards and the logic board. Now they are saying the next step is to replace the panel which would cost $1200 and is only has a warranty of 90 days. My budget would be 3k or less 60 to 70 inchs. I don't care about smart tv or 4k. I am just looking for the best picture that I can get to watch movies from a blu ray player and from a laptop that is connected thru hdmi. The only other thing that I do is play both Tera rising and Neverwinter on the laptop but using the tv for a display. I've looked online at a couple a sony w850b samsung f8000 both 65 inch and a 70 inch Sharp q+ LC-70UQ17U. I am open to all suggestions. I am kind of upset about the samsung only lasting 5 years.

Thanks Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-22-2014, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

No one has any suggestions? Hmm
post #3 of 14 Old 03-22-2014, 11:05 PM

Liked: 43
If you want the combination of low display input latency in game mode and good picture the rest of the time then Sony is it. Most every model of theirs are Alot better in latenCy than just about anybody else, I don't know what it is they are doing but they have some secret sauce for gaming displays.
post #4 of 14 Old 03-23-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 825
If you want the best PQ, it would be the Samsung F8500 plasma right now. Cleveland Plasma has some great deals on the F8500 right now that would put the 64" below the top of your budget by a few hundred dollars.

If you do not know who Cleveland Plasma is, Chris is the owner of CP and he is a very active user here. A lot of AVS members have purchased their TV's from him.

The F8500 would know doubt offer you the best PQ.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-23-2014, 05:28 AM

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

If you want the best PQ, it would be the Samsung F8500 plasma right now. Cleveland Plasma has some great deals on the F8500 right now that would put the 64" below the top of your budget by a few hundred dollars.

If you do not know who Cleveland Plasma is, Chris is the owner of CP and he is a very active user here. A lot of AVS members have purchased their TV's from him.

The F8500 would know doubt offer you the best PQ.
i agree for just picture quality the Samsung plasma is best. But for gaming display lag is 62ms in game mode Wich is just on the edge of bad for casual gaming. And for action/Fps multi-player terrible. The Sony 55w900a and Sony kdl 65w850a both have good picture quality for let's and both have 18ms display latency Wich is great for a gaming TV.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-23-2014, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

So I guess I just need to get 2 tvs then. Seriously though would I need to worry about lag if just playing mmorpgs like never winter. I'm playing it on a samsung plasma now. The only thing that concerns me is am I going to have issues again in a short time. I read somewhere to unplug ether net cable if having power cycling issues. So I am trying that since I don't use the smart tv features anyway.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-23-2014, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I find it humorous when people say they don't care about Smart TV platforms and only want the best picture. Sorry to break it to you but all the high end TV's with the best picture come with superfluous Smart TV platforms tacked on. It's just a given nowadays.

I have the 55" Samsung F8000 LED and have been enjoying it ever since I brought it home in July last year. CNET considers the F8000 to be the best LED of 2013 and you can get it at a very affordable price since the new more expensive curved 2014 models are coming out soon. My F8000 still to this day blows me away with its picture. Simply a treat to watch any content on it.

http://www.cnet.com/topics/tvs/best-tvs/picture-quality/

The F8000 is at the top of the picture quality list along side the Samsung F8500 plasma. So if your budget is 3K then you should choose between these two guys, no point in looking at other LED's since the F8000 tops them all in picture quality. Same with looking at any other plasmas.

If you're video gaming, the F8000 may be a better choice due to the lower input lag and no possibility of image retention but if you want the most cutting edge picture quality, the F8500 may be the better choice. The F8000's black level should be on par with your 5 year old Samsung plasma. But of course the F8500 goes much deeper.

The F8000 uses very little electricity and does not get hot in stark contrast to the F8500. I do hear that the F8500 has some potential panel buzzing issues but you're going to want to weigh in on the pros and cons of each technology LED and plasma.

You can't go wrong with either the F8000 or F8500. They are both at the pinnacle of their respective technologies and should keep you very satisfied until OLED is matured and more affordable.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-23-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

I find it humorous when people say they don't care about Smart TV platforms and only want the best picture. Sorry to break it to you but all the high end TV's with the best picture come with superfluous Smart TV platforms tacked on. It's just a given nowadays.
Before a few weeks ago I might have agreed with you on this but I totally forgot about the new Samsung Plasma the 64H5000. No smart features or 3D. Just a great picture that is probably better then most LEDs today and only sells for less then $1,400.00 USD. Input lag measured 37.7 ms and black levels measured at 0.0016 fL.

The only downside to this TV is it is a pentile display.

You can read a review here:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/pn64h5000-201403143657.htm
post #9 of 14 Old 03-23-2014, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

By me saying smart tv doesn't matter to me I mean that I don't use it. Whether it comes with the TV is no concern.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-23-2014, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 73
David makes a good point at the end of that review that the higher end plasmas expected from Samsung later this year will likely be plasma's "Swan Song" given their budget plasma performs so well. So if you're interested in a plasma instead of LED then your best option is to try to wait until more is known about the newer flagship plasma.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-23-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks I really like the pictures on the Samsung tvs. I just thought that this tv would last a bit longer then 5 years. Maybe I just was unlucky I don't know. Has Samsung improved on the quality of their products.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-23-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmatter View Post

By me saying smart tv doesn't matter to me I mean that I don't use it. Whether it comes with the TV is no concern.
The point he was trying to make was every single top of the line TV came with smart features so it wouldn't play into effect when recommending a top the line TV. The H5000 it's kind of a one off in that regard. It is a bare bone plasma that just offers a top level picture. Every other top TV will have smart features. These features are usually removed from the lower end TV's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

David makes a good point at the end of that review that the higher end plasmas expected from Samsung later this year will likely be plasma's "Swan Song" given their budget plasma performs so well. So if you're interested in a plasma instead of LED then your best option is to try to wait until more is known about the newer flagship plasma.
The better plasma, the H7000 has pretty much been confirmed recently that it was scrapped and the H5000 would be Samsung's only new plasma of 2014.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmatter View Post

Thanks I really like the pictures on the Samsung tvs. I just thought that this tv would last a bit longer then 5 years. Maybe I just was unlucky I don't know. Has Samsung improved on the quality of their products.
I have heard a lot of stories about Samsung quality but like anything else it can be hit or miss. I am sure there are plenty of people who have Samsung TV's for more then 5 years.

If you want to stay away from Samsung and the F8500 then the 65W850A might be your next best choice offering size and very good pq for an LED.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-24-2014, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone I will have to get out this week and try to look at some.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-24-2014, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a pn58b650. It died after 4 years.I didn't care for customer service, either. Personally I'm looking elsewhere than samsung.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page