Setting the optical audio out to PCM to bypass all internal DAC's? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-25-2014, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello

I am getting into using fairly high-end headphones for all my audio listening needs including watching videos and TV. I have a external DAC on order will along with a headphone amplifier which is what audiophile use to listening with headphones.

My question is this for I use my LG 42LK450 television basically as a computer monitor with all programming both recorded video and television originating from my computer. So it's into one of the HDMI ports and out both picture and audio from the TV. well my TV has optical audio out output which I can connect to my new external audiophile quality DAC when it arrives. If I set the settings of my television to output PCM audio on the optical out will I be bypassing all internal DAC's and just going from the audio input of my HDMI cable and perhaps through some electronic repeaters to my external DAC without digital to audio converting it twice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Read through this discussion and see if it answers your question. (Hint - It is always good to search the forum first)

http://www.avsforum.com/t/842477/bitstream-vs-linear-pcm
Old 03-25-2014, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

I have previously asked on the posting that started this thread if the audio output from the optical audio out his peers through to the optical audio out from the audio wires of the HTML inputs port unaffected by my television. My television is just a plain flat-panel 42 inch LG brand television not a fancy home theater receiver. But from doing some reading besides the above link of the first response to my question I think it's probable that often my television must do some processing to create the proper PCM two channel output from the optical audio out.

But even though that seems likely I still have the question besides any necessary processing there is in my television to create the PCM two channel audio out is there a analog to digital conversion taking place in my television when I go from the HDMI audio input to the PCM two channel audio out? If I am purchasing a particularly high quality external PAC (which I am) it would seem the waste if it is only to digital to analog convert again something that has already been digitally to analog converted since I do not think you could put by quality once lost. So in spite of the fact that the above link was supposed to answer all my questions it didn't and I would be very appreciative if somebody could take another try at it?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-26-2014, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It is very unlikely that the computer or TV would perform a 'digital to analog to digital' conversion when converting the input bitstream to stereo PCM.
The only thing that might compromise the integrity of the original source's digital audio is the conversion process from compressed multi-channel audio to stereo PCM (which will be an all digital process, but could color the source depending on how the processing chain is implemented)
Old 03-26-2014, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_OCD View Post

It is very unlikely that the computer or TV would perform a 'digital to analog to digital' conversion when converting the input bitstream to stereo PCM.
The only thing that might compromise the integrity of the original source's digital audio is the conversion process from compressed multi-channel audio to stereo PCM (which will be an all digital process, but could color the source depending on how the processing chain is implemented)
How the processing chain is implemented. Is there any threads or forums or places on the web you know of devoted to how the conversion process is implemented?