Samsung H8000 Curved TV Thread 2014 - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #31 of 633 Old 04-23-2014, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone pick up one of the H8000's yet? I just upgraded thru Samsung Exchange since my ES7500 panel crapped out. Hoping this is a nice set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 633 Old 04-25-2014, 04:06 PM

Liked: 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahzari View Post

weird they make the US and UK versions with different software based enhancements? But I am sure that the Samsung website said local dimming for the H8000 and the 4k model above it (just checked). As far as the F8000.. the reviews I read stated pretty significant uniformity issues without engaging the local dimming (but excellent uniformity after that was engaged). For those that had no issues even with it turned off I guess it may have been luck of the draw. I know I was pretty unlucky with my first 60in 7100 and 2 Sony 850As. But, my 55in 7100 currently looks awesome, prob put that in the bedroom and place whatever 65in I decide on in the living room.. if the H8000 in the US show similarly negative reviews id lean towards the F8000.

So we're on the same page:

Smart LED feature == "Precision Black" == local dimming

Micro Dimming Ultimate == software-based video processing. It's not really local dimming of the LEDs at all.

The US versions of the F8000 and H8000 have Micro Dimming Ultimate as well as Precision Black local dimming.

The UK and Canadian versions of the F8000 and H8000 have Micro Dimming Ultimate, but NOT Precision Black local dimming.

The UK version of the H8000 that was reviewed has no hardware-based local dimming. It's an actual difference in the hardware, not just software. To make things more confusing, the Canadian H8000 webpage says "Precision Black (Local Dimming) Available". So there's probably two different versions of the TV in Canada.

That AVForums H8000 review is a bit confusing: "The also H8000 doesn't include Samsung's Smart LED feature which is a shame because it really helps with the perceived blacks but its absence is consistent with last year's F8000 model. However the local dimming was very effective, expertly handling our usual assortment of torture tests." They seem to imply that the UK H8000 they tested has local dimming, which it doesn't. I'm guessing they were actually referring to F8000 and the fact that its local dimming is effective.

FWIW, my Canadian UN55F8000, which has no local dimming, has no issues with uniformity.

post #33 of 633 Old 04-27-2014, 11:26 PM

I just bought the 55h8000 today so here is my review

F8000 with a curve... maybe the colours are more "punchy" the only thing that bothersme it's it seems there is no freekin game mode AT ALL even if the bestbuy guy told me it has. Input lag =174ms when i reed the review from cnet and avs they said it had a game mide Nd the imput lag was 34ms im little confused and probably bring back the tv it's almost unplayable.

Sorry for my poor english guys
post #34 of 633 Old 04-28-2014, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Regarding your question about gaming mode on the H8000. The review on avforums indicated:

“The H8000 delivered a sizeable input lag of 120ms when in the calibrated Movie mode but thankfully things improved dramatically when the Game mode was selected. This brought the input lag down to 34ms which whilst not the lowest we've measured - Sony appear to be the leaders in this area at the moment - should be low enough for all but the most demanding of gamers. Unlike the HU8500, renaming the input didn't make any difference to the lag but 34ms is amongst the best we have measured recently. Certainly we didn't notice any appreciable delay when gaming on the H8000 and overall we found it to be quite responsive, although our reactions might not be as cat-like as many others. If you sat quite close to the display, the curved nature of the screen could also help to make the gaming experience slightly more immersive”.

This review indicated the input lag in Gaming mode is identical to that specified in the avforums review:

"Samsung has reduced the input lag on the 55H8000 compared with last year’s 55F8000, though it’s still behind the class-leading Sony Bravias. Our Leo Bodnar input lag tester returned a figure of 34ms in [Game] mode; and a much less gaming-friendly 119ms in [Movie] mode."

This review recorded an input lag lower than 34ms:

"After the rather disappointing 60ms-plus input lag reading recorded on the UE65HU8500, it’s great to see the UE55H8000 only hitting a much more gaming-friendly figure of 33ms."

The User Manual on the Canadian web site indicates that the television does indeed have a gaming mode. Further, the topic titled “Enabling Game Mode” provides instructions for accessing this feature. For your reference, here is the sequence:

MENU >System > General > Game Mode Try Now.

There are a few warnings about Game Mode in the User Manual:

• Game Mode cannot be used for normal TV viewing.
  • Connect the gaming console before enabling Game Mode. Otherwise, the picture quality may suffer.
  • The screen may shake a little.
  • Enabling Game Mode automatically sets the Picture Mode to Standard and the Sound Mode to Movie.
  • To use a different external device, first disconnect the game console and disable Game Mode.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to more reviews. My 55H8000 arrives today.
post #35 of 633 Old 04-28-2014, 08:30 AM

For those of you with an H8000 television, this site provides the following recommendations for an optimal picture:

• Picture Mode: Movie
  • Backlight: 14
  • Contrast: 80
  • Brightness: 45
  • Sharpness: 0
  • Colour: 50
  • Tint: G50/R50
  • Picture Size
  • Picture Size: Screen Fit
  • Advanced Settings
  • Dynamic Contrast: Off
  • Black Tone: Off
  • Flesh Tone: 0
  • RGB Only Mode: Off
  • Colour Space: Custom (Red - R44, G0, B4; Green - R12, G49, B7; Blue - R0, G6, B50; Yellow - R53, G 48, B8; Cyan - R10, G51, B49; Magenta - R48, G0, B50)
  • White Balance 2-Point: Red Offset 0, Green Offset 0, Blue Offset 0, Red Gain +3, Green Gain -4, Blue Gain +2
  • Gamma: +2
  • Expert Pattern: Off
  • Motion Lighting: Off

Picture Options

• Colour Tone: Warm2
  • Digital Clean View: Off
  • MPEG Noise Filter: Off
  • HDMI Black Level: Low (If applicable)
  • Film Mode: Auto2 (If applicable)
  • Motion Plus: Off
  • Cinema Black: On - Medium (with 2.35:1 movies)

Use these settings at your own risk. I have not had an opportunity to test them.
post #36 of 633 Old 04-28-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred starksound View Post

I just bought the 55h8000 today so here is my review

F8000 with a curve... maybe the colours are more "punchy" the only thing that bothersme it's it seems there is no freekin game mode AT ALL even if the bestbuy guy told me it has. Input lag =174ms when i reed the review from cnet and avs they said it had a game mide Nd the imput lag was 34ms im little confused and probably bring back the tv it's almost unplayable.

Sorry for my poor english guys

How's uniformity? What Panel Version?
post #37 of 633 Old 04-28-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post

How's uniformity? What Panel Version?

If you select one of the links to a review in my previous post, you will find a lot of information about uniformity. Here is a quote taken from a recent review:

"Nevertheless, black level measured a very decent 0.06 cd/m2 after calibrating peak white luminance to our normal target of 120 cd/m2. Together with the UE-55H8000′s accurate greyscale, linear 2.4 gamma and authentic colours, this made for some quite breathtaking images, especially during bright sequences."

The review continues:

"Very dark scenes suffered slightly because of several patches of clouding mainly near the top border of the panel. [Cinema Black] can be used to darken the letterbox bars in 2.35:1 films, but the single setting that doesn’t introduce luminance shifts to the whole screen (besides “Off“, obviously) was “Medium“, which only darkened the bottom bar and therefore could not attenuate the backlight inconsistency entirely. Interestingly, [Cinema Black] comes in three strengths on our UE55H8000 review sample – “Low“, “Medium” and “High” – whereas it’s available only as an on/off toggle on the UE55HU8500."

Overall, most reviews indicate that the uniformity on the H8000 is excellent. I guess I'll soon find out. wink.gif
post #38 of 633 Old 04-28-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwcanuck View Post

If you select one of the links to a review in my previous post, you will find a lot of information about uniformity. Here is a quote taken from a recent review:

"Nevertheless, black level measured a very decent 0.06 cd/m2 after calibrating peak white luminance to our normal target of 120 cd/m2. Together with the UE-55H8000′s accurate greyscale, linear 2.4 gamma and authentic colours, this made for some quite breathtaking images, especially during bright sequences."

The review continues:

"Very dark scenes suffered slightly because of several patches of clouding mainly near the top border of the panel. [Cinema Black] can be used to darken the letterbox bars in 2.35:1 films, but the single setting that doesn’t introduce luminance shifts to the whole screen (besides “Off“, obviously) was “Medium“, which only darkened the bottom bar and therefore could not attenuate the backlight inconsistency entirely. Interestingly, [Cinema Black] comes in three strengths on our UE55H8000 review sample – “Low“, “Medium” and “High” – whereas it’s available only as an on/off toggle on the UE55HU8500."

Overall, most reviews indicate that the uniformity on the H8000 is excellent. I guess I'll soon find out. wink.gif

Those reviews are of European and Canadian Versions WITHOUT Local Dimming. Anything about uniformity is misleading since the U.S. Version has local dimming.
post #39 of 633 Old 04-28-2014, 09:30 AM

Canadian tvs should start with un or ue?
post #40 of 633 Old 04-28-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Those reviews are of European and Canadian Versions WITHOUT Local Dimming. Anything about uniformity is misleading since the U.S. Version has local dimming.

If you read the avforums review, you will find this statement:

The only area where the H8000 showed any real weakness was in terms of its backlight uniformity, which was a little patchy in places, although this was only evident on very dark scenes when watching at night. However, we were reviewing an early production sample but, having now seen full production models, the backlight uniformity has been significantly improved. The overall uniformity for our H8000 review sample can be evidenced by the ANSI graphic below, which shows measurements for each of the black and white squares. The H8000 was pleasingly free of the two other common issues often found on LED LCD TVs - dirty screen effect and banding. These can be especially noticeable on football broadcasts, where the camera pans across the pitch or in areas of uniform colour such a sky, so we were glad the H8000 had no such problems.

This same review also includes this statement:

The also H8000 doesn't include Samsung's Smart LED feature which is a shame because it really helps with the perceived blacks but its absence is consistent with last year's F8000 model. However the local dimming was very effective, expertly handling our usual assortment of torture tests

Yes, it's a UK site, but it is obvious that uniformity (regardless of the country of origin or availability of local dimming) is very, very good.

This is emphasized by this statement taken from a review of an American specification television:

The strongest in the market LED edge backlight and black levels really give this Samsung an edge in picture quality over every other LED TV in the market. The 55F8000 has best in class color and contrast that create superior images and the light flow through the the LED backlights is amazing. Images on screen are crisp, and refined compared to some of the other LED TVs out there. The backlight does need to be kept in check because it has the potential to wash colors and contrast out. The safe zone for the backlight setting on this TV is around 70% of capacity.
post #41 of 633 Old 04-28-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Canadian tvs should start with un or ue?

Here are the part numbers:

• Canada: UN55H8000AFXZC
  • USA: UN55H8000AF
  • UK: UE55H8000ST

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong! wink.gif
post #42 of 633 Old 04-28-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:

If you read the avforums review, you will find this statement:

The only area where the H8000 showed any real weakness was in terms of its backlight uniformity, which was a little patchy in places, although this was only evident on very dark scenes when watching at night. However, we were reviewing an early production sample but, having now seen full production models, the backlight uniformity has been significantly improved. The overall uniformity for our H8000 review sample can be evidenced by the ANSI graphic below, which shows measurements for each of the black and white squares. The H8000 was pleasingly free of the two other common issues often found on LED LCD TVs - dirty screen effect and banding. These can be especially noticeable on football broadcasts, where the camera pans across the pitch or in areas of uniform colour such a sky, so we were glad the H8000 had no such problems.

This same review also includes this statement:

The also H8000 doesn't include Samsung's Smart LED feature which is a shame because it really helps with the perceived blacks but its absence is consistent with last year's F8000 model. However the local dimming was very effective, expertly handling our usual assortment of torture tests

Yes, it's a UK site, but it is obvious that uniformity (regardless of the country of origin or availability of local dimming) is very, very good.

This is emphasized by this statement taken from a review of an American specification television (http://reviews.*******************.com/samsung-tv/samsung-un55f8000.html):

The strongest in the market LED edge backlight and black levels really give this Samsung an edge in picture quality over every other LED TV in the market. The 55F8000 has best in class color and contrast that create superior images and the light flow through the the LED backlights is amazing. Images on screen are crisp, and refined compared to some of the other LED TVs out there. The backlight does need to be kept in check because it has the potential to wash colors and contrast out. The safe zone for the backlight setting on this TV is around 70% of capacity.

I read the AVForum Review earlier this month so I didn't bother to re-read your link to it. They've clearly updated the original review though.

It sounds like uniformity should be good.
post #43 of 633 Old 04-28-2014, 10:32 AM

I FOUND IT the game mode is in system - general - game mode. You need to start your console first
post #44 of 633 Old 04-28-2014, 10:49 AM

The game mode disable the motion plus so it isnt a real game mode right?
post #45 of 633 Old 04-28-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:

The game mode disable the motion plus so it isnt a real game mode right?

It is indeed a true mode. To quote this article, Game mode "...isn't magic, nor does it simply overclock the processors and jack up the performance. Instead, it starts taking things out. Color processing, noise reduction, advanced scaling, all of these aspects and more get thrown out or greatly reduced". So, the Game mode on the H8000 follows the industry standard to reduce input lag.

There are a number of good articles available. Just Google Game Mode.
fred starksound likes this.
post #46 of 633 Old 04-28-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:

I just bought the 55h8000 today

What Panel Version did you get?
post #47 of 633 Old 04-28-2014, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Here are the part numbers:

• Canada: UN55H8000AFXZC
  • USA: UN55H8000AF
  • UK: UE55H8000ST

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong! wink.gif[/quote USA un55h8000AFXZA
post #48 of 633 Old 04-29-2014, 09:01 PM

I have now set up my H8000, and all I can say is “wow”.

The unboxing indicated the care that Samsung take when packaging and shipping their products. The screen was very well protected and the all of the accessories were provided in a separate box. A cleaning cloth was provided, which I thought was a nice touch. The chrome accent strip around the screen and the stand were well protected with plastic film. I recently set up a new Sony television, and the Samsung experience provided a greater sense that someone was paying attention to the details.

I have not had time to test the settings provided in a previous post, but picture quality in Movie mode is amazing. I played Master and Commander (an old favorite) tonight and it was stunning. SD video looks very good and Netflix movies look equally good.

My only (minor) criticism is that the stand seems a little flimsy. Also, the screen seems prone to reflection from our floor lamps. Small issues.

Overall, I would give this television an 8.5 or a 9 out of 10 for picture quality, construction, ease of operation, and features. Most of the reviews I have read to date seem to concur with this assessment.

I’m looking forward to hearing from other owners.
post #49 of 633 Old 04-30-2014, 09:56 AM

Cool im getting mines soon. Does this tv come with an adapter to wall mount it? Also does it have the cinema black and smart led options?
post #50 of 633 Old 04-30-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansingh7326 View Post

Cool im getting mines soon. Does this tv come with an adapter to wall mount it? Also does it have the cinema black and smart led options?

Don't know about the mount adapter but it does have local dimming,(smart led), and cinema black.
post #51 of 633 Old 05-02-2014, 08:24 AM

"Meanwhile, the triumphant 55-inch Samsung UE55H8000 with its sexy looks and excellent picture performance, has come away with the title of best HD TV on the market, curves and all." biggrin.gif

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/battle-of-the-flagship-hd-tvs-samsung-h8000-vs-sony-w955-1246259

"The star of the show is its impeccable black level response. Dark scenes look exceptionally natural and involving thanks to the TV's ability to produce a black colour that actually looks black, rather than some shade of grey like we still see on other LCD TVs"

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/samsung-ue55h8000-1245733/review/2#articleContent

One final thought:

"...if there's a better 55-inch full HD TV around this year I'd love to see it!"
obonillaf likes this.
post #52 of 633 Old 05-02-2014, 09:58 AM

My h8000 is coming today, so excited
post #53 of 633 Old 05-02-2014, 10:39 AM

The only issue I have to date with the H8000 is an inability to extend my laptop monitor to the H8000. This is not a failing of the TV, but an issue with the Intel graphics card and Windows 8.1. I have not been able to find a solution to this annoying problem, but I'm hoping some of the experts in this forum might have recommendations.

I was testing the 3D capability and I must say I was quite impressed, even though I'm not a big fan of 3D. Vivid colors and true depth. Stunning.
post #54 of 633 Old 05-02-2014, 11:19 PM

I just finished unboxing my set and setting it up. My panel version is td02 and I have never seen a tv so sharp and clear before. I usually go straight to movie mode with my previous samsung tvs, but on the h8000 im still on its default settings. It is so good I havent even looked at movie mode. The only thing I did was set the picture to screen fit, disable eco sensor, and enable cinema black on. I dont know how 4k can be better than this.
obonillaf likes this.
post #55 of 633 Old 05-08-2014, 03:25 PM

Just took delivery of my 55H8000. So far it looks really good and very uniform screen with no lightbleed (although it will get a night time torture test soon to look for clouding, bleed, etc). Panel is a TS02. Curve is nice and subtle. Will post some screens later when it's dark. Although I had to pay samsung support to upgrade since my ES7500 took a crap after 2yrs, I'm really glad it did.
post #56 of 633 Old 05-11-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfin3591 View Post

Just took delivery of my 55H8000. So far it looks really good and very uniform screen with no lightbleed (although it will get a night time torture test soon to look for clouding, bleed, etc). Panel is a TS02. Curve is nice and subtle. Will post some screens later when it's dark. Although I had to pay samsung support to upgrade since my ES7500 took a crap after 2yrs, I'm really glad it did.

So how's the uniformity at night in the dark? Motion Resolution? What Picture Setting are you using, Movie or Standard?

Do you know if the 65" uses the same Samsung Panel, TS01/TS02?
post #57 of 633 Old 05-11-2014, 07:13 PM

Sorry haven't had a chance to upload pics yet. The uniformity on this set is fantastic. I don't know if I have finally just gotten "lucky" with a great set after what I went thru originally with my last tv purchase, but it is such a huge difference over my ES7500. I tested Gravity last night and the screen had no clouding and movie bars were jet black with no light bleed. I would have to say the micro dimming ultimate is a big upgrade over pro. I am using movie mode right now waiting for some calibration settings from others or from a review. Standard looks good too but may be a little over saturated for some. I went to my local Best Buy and they had a 65" on display and I looked on the back and it too had a TS02 panel.
AncientAlien likes this.
post #58 of 633 Old 05-11-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfin3591 View Post

Sorry haven't had a chance to upload pics yet. The uniformity on this set is fantastic. I don't know if I have finally just gotten "lucky" with a great set after what I went thru originally with my last tv purchase, but it is such a huge difference over my ES7500. I tested Gravity last night and the screen had no clouding and movie bars were jet black with no light bleed. I would have to say the micro dimming ultimate is a big upgrade over pro. I am using movie mode right now waiting for some calibration settings from others or from a review. Standard looks good too but may be a little over saturated for some. I went to my local Best Buy and they had a 65" on display and I looked on the back and it too had a TS02 panel.

Sounds great. Glad you're enjoying it. I'm definitely gonna snag a 65" soon. I'm still waiting on a pro review.
post #59 of 633 Old 05-12-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:

So how's the uniformity at night in the dark? Motion Resolution? What Picture Setting are you using, Movie or Standard?

Do you know if the 65" uses the same Samsung Panel, TS01/TS02?
I have a 65in h8000 and the panel version is td02. I also saw the same panel version at pc richards on the 65in h8000.
post #60 of 633 Old 05-12-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansingh7326 View Post

I have a 65in h8000 and the panel version is td02. I also saw the same panel version at pc richards on the 65in h8000.

I wonder what the difference between TD02 and TS02 since they're both Samsung Panels. How's your uniformity in the dark?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - H8000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page