post #751 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Can you be more specific? Are you referring to panel manufacturers (such as AUO, LG, Sharp) or to TV Brands (such as Vizio, Samsung, LG, Sharp, Sony, Toshiba & Panasonic)?
Yeah sorry, I meant TV manufacturers. I know this isn't the case (probably),but before CES even happened this year Vizio was screaming FALD from the rooftops. I wonder if this made other manufacturers have re-think their strategy and scramble to make changes. This would mean cutting corners and announcing FALD with just enough zone to get away with calling it local dimming. The same with the refresh rate game and input lag wars. I would love a 4k resolution "true" 240hz panel with passive 3D (1080p per eye),an array of user calibration controls and no smart features. My perfect TV! I know tech is always moving and 8k will be the next hype tech before we know it,but 4k will take a while to get a delivery system other than streaming (1080p x 4). My ISP is awful and to get the 13 mb download speeds (I believe) 4k streaming services are asking for is near impossible.
Sorry went a little off topic,but that is where I wish there was less marketing and more straight talk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I tried Netflix with that UI on a TiVo Roamio, Roku 3 and Xbox 360 and found no glow around that magnifying glass icon. What device are you running a Netflix player on?

the roku 3
post #753 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostion View Post

The left Corner has heavy clouding? Like the other pictures when you are in the "Auto" Mode seems like a hardware issue? Or the local dimming is not good because the clouding in the left corner semms very bad for a full direct led.

I have been wondering the same thing. I'm going to try to contact Toshiba Support today and email pictures to figure out the issue and hopefully get a resolution.

When I first noticed this clouding I was using my Roku 3. I also used the "Netflix" app directly built into the TV and I get the same results. If I I logged in under the "adult" profile and hit exit there is no clouding. When i'm logged in as my children and hit exit, bingo, the clouding is there.
post #754 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 06:17 AM

Liked: 10

Seems like a Softwareissue with different colors? Black etc is good and other colors are not? Really strange.

post #755 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 06:36 AM

I have seen the clouding in some TV programs but it definitely isn't consistent.
post #756 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by quern View Post

I think these pictures will show it has local dimming. The blooming on the Q and the brighter light on the top left side.
Wait, that bright corner isn't intentional? If not that would be way beyond flashlighting or clouding that I've seen even on some of the worst edge-lit sets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny_H View Post

Could it be that the "blooming" around the Q is actually a design element like a glow or reverse shadow? The logos to the right appear to have none.
That was sort of what I was thinking. How they showed it was selected. It could also be a camera artifact though I imagine quern had to notice it with his eyes before deciding to take a picture of it.
Quote:

When I first noticed this clouding I was using my Roku 3. I also used the "Netflix" app directly built into the TV and I get the same results. If I I logged in under the "adult" profile and hit exit there is no clouding. When i'm logged in as my children and hit exit, bingo, the clouding is there.
Have you tried the Roku on another TV to confirm that's just not how the background image is?
Quote:

I have seen the clouding in some TV programs but it definitely isn't consistent.
If it isn't consistent maybe it isn't clouding or flashlighting. Maybe some content just has a bright corner. confused.gif
post #757 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
That "bleed" around the search icon is the UI design (happens on my nice Sammy Plasma and our cheap Sammy LCD) . The flash lighting is a hardware issue I'd guess.
post #758 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Quote:

i am Sorry it did not seem  to be  Real Full Array LED Panel 
or not quality Full Array LED Panel 

Quantum Black™  Sounds like an invention to get    Legitimize  to call that  Full Array LED Panel 
like lg with they "nano "

if this Full Array LED 7400 So it seems that the -9400 will not be high quality?

and  without 3D

post #759 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 798
It's very strange, in that he only sees it on that one screen and only when he's looking at it from a child's profile. If he's in the same screen using an adult profile no glowing icon or flashlighting in the corner. I tried it with a few different device using a child's profile and didn't see it on my television, so it wouldn't seem to be part of the design.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #760 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 09:44 AM

I just looked on the web and found that there does appear to be the glowing top left corner when exiting the Child profile. This is an x-box site but you can see it.

michaeltscott is correct that I see it prevalent in that screen. I'll have to move my Roku to a different device to confirm since my i-pad works differently.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/apps/netflix-help
post #761 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdyson View Post

That "bleed" around the search icon is the UI design (happens on my nice Sammy Plasma and our cheap Sammy LCD) . The flash lighting is a hardware issue I'd guess.

If by 'UI' you mean 'user interface' I'm not sure what you mean and whether it is a problem or not.

If you mean that the 'glowing' (blooming/haloing) of the Q has been designed into the graphic intentionally, then that would resolve my concern - is that what you meant by 'UI'??
post #762 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:

If by 'UI' you mean 'user interface' I'm not sure what you mean and whether it is a problem or not.

If you mean that the 'glowing' (blooming/haloing) of the Q has been designed into the graphic intentionally, then that would resolve my concern - is that what you meant by 'UI'??

Yes, Roku/Netflix designed it to glow. Like, not a backlight effect, but a design element to let you know what's selected better than just brightening it.
post #763 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 10:28 AM

Liked: 11
Paul's TV has a coupon code -MEMORIALDAY14-for this Toshiba L7400u resulting in a $999 price.
I have a question for the owners: does this tv pass the wife and kids test? Do YOU like the picture it presents?
I have narrowed my choices to this Toshiba and the Vizio M602i-b3 and a Samsung plasma pn60f5300. any thoughts?
post #764 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, Roku/Netflix designed it to glow. Like, not a backlight effect, but a design element to let you know what's selected better than just brightening it.

It doesn't do it on my television on any device using any kind of profile and it apparently doesn't do it on qern's 55L7400U except when he's using a child's profile.

post #765 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:

It doesn't do it on my television on any device using any kind of profile and it apparently doesn't do it on qern's 55L7400U except when he's using a child's profile.
It's black in the middle of his and mine (a plasma and a cheap LCD). It ain't bloom, that's for sure.
post #766 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:

Quote:

Gotcha - thanks.

So no more confusion. quern's picture does not show ANY blooming, just some kind or erroneous or purposeful brightening of the upper left corner of the screen.

I've already seen that picture being posted by trolls in other threads such as the L9400U thread as evidence that the 2014 Toshiba Radiance panels are crap. mad.gif
post #767 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 11:06 AM

*sigh* No, no, no.

The glow around the search icon: cool. That's just "design". The flash lighting in the top left: not cool. Dat's baaaaaad.
post #768 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 11:13 AM

Thats from netflix itself look at the xbox picture.

Here:

http://compass.xboxlive.com/assets/67/3d/673d966d-71ab-4807-9884-6e61544dde64.png?n=netflix-pop-up-menu-l.png

Not a tv issue

post #769 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostion View Post

Thats from netflix itself look at the xbox picture.

Here:
http://compass.xboxlive.com/assets/67/3d/673d966d-71ab-4807-9884-6e61544dde64.png?n=netflix-pop-up-menu-l.png

Not a tv issue

Huh. He said Roku, and mine doesn't do that. Xbox One doesn't either.
post #770 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 12:03 PM

What is Roku? The Childprofil is the same look at the top left on the screen and then the screen from quem only the keys are different because its from xbox one.

post #771 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 12:26 PM

Edit: Previous version of this post was misleading, here's the short version: nothing wrong with the TV. That fake flashlighting effect is common to the Netflix interface on multiple devices.
post #772 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

It's black in the middle of his and mine (a plasma and a cheap LCD). It ain't bloom, that's for sure.

Okay, I checked again and I do see the glow around that icon on Xbox 360 and the flashlight-like gradient in the upper left corner on every page of the Netflix Kids UI, on every device--definitely a part of the design. The background of the adult profile UI is black and has no such gradient.

qern, are you sure those pictures are of the Netflix GUI on your Roku 3? Mine looks different, as does my TiVo Roamio. On those devices, the selections are inside of solid rectangles and as you scroll left and right through them they scroll off or onto the screen, just like the rows of titles do, with a white line around the selected one (like this). You get to them by scrolling up the UI to above the My List row and the "spotlighted" title if there is one. On the Xbox, they're free-standing icons in the middle of the screen with nothing else on the screen as shown in your pictures, and the glow around them indicates which one is selected (they don't scroll); you get to them by pressing the B key. I assume that the PS3 is the same way, since you get to it's menu by pressing the Triangle key.

post #773 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Okay, I checked again and I do see the glow around that icon on Xbox 360 and the flashlight-like gradient in the upper left corner on every page of the Netflix Kids UI, on every device--definitely a part of the design. The background of the adult profile UI is black and has no such gradient.

qern, are you sure those pictures are of the Netflix GUI on your Roku 3? Mine looks different, as does my TiVo Roamio. On those devices, the selections are inside of solid rectangles and as you scroll left and right through them they scroll off or onto the screen, just like the rows of titles do, with a white line around the selected one (like this). You get to them by scrolling up the UI to above the My List row and the "spotlighted" title if there is one. On the Xbox, they're free-standing icons in the middle of the screen with nothing else on the screen as shown in your pictures, and the glow around them indicates which one is selected (they don't scroll); you get to them by pressing the B key. I assume that the PS3 is the same way, since you get to it's menu by pressing the Triangle key.

Michaltscott: I just moved my roku3 to my upstairs TV and can confirm that yes, the upper left glow is part of the Roku3/Netflix experience. I couldn't remember when I saw it last night so I go really nervous since I'm trying to determine if I'm keeping this set or not. Thus my post.

It is also correct that the Q glows because it was selected. I did not think that it was selected.

Everything is behaving properly and I have relaxed once again that the set is not flawed.
post #774 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpsie View Post

Paul's TV has a coupon code -MEMORIALDAY14-for this Toshiba L7400u resulting in a $999 price.
I have a question for the owners: does this tv pass the wife and kids test? Do YOU like the picture it presents?
I have narrowed my choices to this Toshiba and the Vizio M602i-b3 and a Samsung plasma pn60f5300. any thoughts?

I haven't had a single complaint from my wife and kids with this set. In fact a lot of the TV i'm watching looks fantastic (and it isn't calibrated or set up with my setup disc yet).

Given that I love music and Movies I always strive to get the best bang for my dollar and I've been very picky and "looking" at the set as critically as I can.

I am confident I have made mistakes the first time I set it up which lead to questions and pictures on this forum. I have probably also used incorrect terminology or terminology that wasn't in the correct context (part of my being a newbie to the LCD tv experience). I realize that I'm one of few currently with the set on here and I have been trying to help show pictures to show what the set is capable of and/or what is isn't capable of. If I were not trying to be so analytical of this set I'd probably be sitting back watching it and enjoying it. I guess to an extent I'm looking for flaws in the way it handles black's. It does have a very good picture and the TrueColor will allow a calibrator to really help dial the colors in.

Jerry
pumpsie likes this.
post #775 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 01:14 PM

Liked: 11
That is great to hear, Jerry! I think sometime we may stare at the grey screen too long and miss the total picture. I have appreciated all that you have reported. This will be my
first LED. I have a JVC Lcos 55" that was recommended here about 7 years ago. It has served us well but needs to be replaced. I think the Toshi L7400u will do fine. Again,
thank you for the information.
post #776 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Michaltscott: I just moved my roku3 to my upstairs TV and can confirm that yes, the upper left glow is part of the Roku3/Netflix experience. I couldn't remember when I saw it last night so I go really nervous since I'm trying to determine if I'm keeping this set or not. Thus my post.

It is also correct that the Q glows because it was selected. I did not think that it was selected.

The upper-left thing is definitely part of the UI design. My question is whether you're sure that you took those pictures of the Netflix UI on your Roku 3, because it's completely different on mine. If so, what did you do to get that menu on the screen? It looks like that menu does on my Xbox and presumably PS3. Are you sure it's not from the panel's built-in Netflix player?

post #777 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

One problem with this television that I have now is that it apparently only has 8 dimming zones. The 55" Vizio M-Series should have 32 and the P-Series 64. I was all excited about this at first but now I think that I'll probably wait for the P-Series.

post #778 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:

The upper-left thing is definitely part of the UI design. My question is whether you're sure that you took those pictures of the Netflix UI on your Roku 3, because it's completely different on mine. If so, what did you do to get that menu on the screen? It looks like that menu does on my Xbox and presumably PS3. Are you sure it's not from the panel's built-in Netflix player?

Definitely came from my Roku3. I have 2 profiles and when I am logged into my children's name I hit the back arrow and this is what I end up with.
post #779 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:

One problem with this television that I have now is that it apparently only has 8 dimming zones. The 55" Vizio M-Series should have 32 and the P-Series 64. I was all excited about this at first but now I think that I'll probably wait for the P-Series.

That's the one thing that has been nagging at me. I would prefer 32 myself 64 would b ideal. I know that Toshiba told me 8 zones but that just sounds really small for a 55" tv. I'm not sure I believe them given that their tech department hasn't been very versed with this set.
post #780 of 912 Old 05-24-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Definitely came from my Roku3. I have 2 profiles and when I am logged into my children's name I hit the back arrow and this is what I end up with.

Ah! As it turns out, the new Netflix player on Roku 3 has both forms of that menu. My Xbox 360 only has that form and my TiVo only has the other. I never noticed it because I usually use the HOME button to get out of Roku channels and not BACK.

That glowing affect is what indicates the selected item; it applies it to all of them as you move back and forth between them, whether you get there from the normal or Netflix Kids title browser. The only difference is that the Kids UI has that blue background and the normal UI has black.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - 55L7400U by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page