Toshiba 55L7400U - Page 27 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 905 Old 05-24-2014, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Come on, cnet. We need something to bite on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 905 Old 05-24-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 39
How many nits is the L7400 capable of busting out? Somebody said 700, correct me of i'm wrong.
post #783 of 905 Old 05-24-2014, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
quern, your comments and observations have been invaluable to me and others watching this thread. I'm very happy that you stepped up and were willing to be the guinea pig. I'm not ready to buy yet (just had a Samsung with "the capacitor problem" repaired 3 months ago), but with your information, this is at the top of my list. Thank you very much!
quern likes this.
post #784 of 905 Old 05-24-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

How many nits is the L7400 capable of busting out? Somebody said 700, correct me of i'm wrong.

I could have sworn Toshiba used that number somewhere when describing their "Radiance Full Array LED Panel", but all I can find now is "twice the brightness of a standard LED backlight system". It does say it on the spec-sheet of the Canadian 55L7400UC.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #785 of 905 Old 05-24-2014, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpsie View Post

Paul's TV has a coupon code -MEMORIALDAY14-for this Toshiba L7400u resulting in a $999 price.
I have a question for the owners: does this tv pass the wife and kids test? Do YOU like the picture it presents?
I have narrowed my choices to this Toshiba and the Vizio M602i-b3 and a Samsung plasma pn60f5300. any thoughts?

After 10 days,I am quite happy with my set. My wife loves it!
post #786 of 905 Old 05-24-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I could have sworn Toshiba used that number somewhere when describing their "Radiance Full Array LED Panel", but all I can find now is "twice the brightness of a standard LED backlight system". It does say it on the spec-sheet of the Canadian 55L7400UC.

700nits/cmd2 it tis' that's more than enough for me. biggrin.gif
So ultimately in a nut shell, the L7400 is one very bright LED, with nice deep black levels and plasma-like viewing angles? Screen clouding is evident, or at least at times and a bit of blooming as expected is there while using Dynalight.
Nobody has spoke much about motion handling, nor do we know for sure if the claimed 12ms of input lag is true or not. only time will tell, at least in 500 more when an actual review pops up. wink.gif
post #787 of 905 Old 05-24-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by quern View Post

I haven't had a single complaint from my wife and kids with this set. In fact a lot of the TV i'm watching looks fantastic (and it isn't calibrated or set up with my setup disc yet).

Given that I love music and Movies I always strive to get the best bang for my dollar and I've been very picky and "looking" at the set as critically as I can.

I am confident I have made mistakes the first time I set it up which lead to questions and pictures on this forum. I have probably also used incorrect terminology or terminology that wasn't in the correct context (part of my being a newbie to the LCD tv experience). I realize that I'm one of few currently with the set on here and I have been trying to help show pictures to show what the set is capable of and/or what is isn't capable of. If I were not trying to be so analytical of this set I'd probably be sitting back watching it and enjoying it. I guess to an extent I'm looking for flaws in the way it handles black's. It does have a very good picture and the TrueColor will allow a calibrator to really help dial the colors in.

Jerry

Well if the wife, kids, family dog and you are all happy with your new spankin TV then don't sweat keeping it. I know some think it's inconceivable that a flagship 1080p display LCD TV from Samsung can be bested by televisions costing much less it wouldn't surprise me if the L7400 and Vizio's M series are the best 1080p displays in terms of PQ this year.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #788 of 905 Old 05-24-2014, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post

it wouldn't surprise me if the L7400 and Vizio's M series are the best 1080p displays in terms of PQ this year.

Looking to see how the Panasonic TC-55AS680U stacks up against those two.
post #789 of 905 Old 05-24-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaMan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post

it wouldn't surprise me if the L7400 and Vizio's M series are the best 1080p displays in terms of PQ this year.

Looking to see how the Panasonic TC-55AS680U stacks up against those two.

The Panasonic's not FALD, is it? Claims a 240 Hz native refresh rate, which is nice. I don't see it up on their website yet. (EDIT: I found it--first on the left in the 2nd from the bottom row on this page. No information--other than "Native 240Hz Refresh Rate"--or price. I applaud them for putting that refresh rate front and center and using the word "Native" smile.gif; unfortunately they don't seem to do it for any of their other models).

post #790 of 905 Old 05-24-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

The Panasonic's not FALD, is it? Claims a 240 Hz native refresh rate, which is nice. I don't see it up on their website yet. (EDIT: I found it--first on the left in the 2nd from the bottom row on this page. No information--other than "Native 240Hz Refresh Rate"--or price. I applaud them for putting that refresh rate front and center and using the word "Native" smile.gif; unfortunately they don't seem to do it for any of their other models).

Darn, I've been googling this TV and there seems to be very little known about it. I'm pretty sure it's an edge-lit television and I'm guessing it has a hardware based dimming scheme ("Local Dimming Pro") as opposed to a video based/frame dimming television. Perhaps PlasmaMan can elaborate.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #791 of 905 Old 05-24-2014, 05:48 PM

Regarding the Panasonic, I'm just going off of the info provided by Mark Henninger in this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1532694/panasonic-puts-2014-lineup-on-display-in-nyc

It's a Best Buy exclusive and sounds like it will be a nice unit at a decent price.
post #792 of 905 Old 05-25-2014, 08:17 AM

Liked: 11
Fishman---That's great! You know the old saying: "Happy wife, happy life!
Bill
post #793 of 905 Old 05-25-2014, 09:42 AM

Liked: 25
I watched the Monaco Grad Prix this morning and currently watching the Indy 500. I have all of the clear scan processing turned off and I'm very happy with the picture. I don't have any complaints about motion blur.
post #794 of 905 Old 05-25-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I watched the Monaco Grad Prix this morning and currently watching the Indy 500. I have all of the clear scan processing turned off and I'm very happy with the picture. I don't have any complaints about motion blur.

Good to hear! How are the black levels in a pitch dark room?
post #795 of 905 Old 05-25-2014, 03:58 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Quern , just read the entire thread ,you've been very helpful with your posts and i'd like to ask a question if i may about the tv's smart capabilities ,i'm now convinced that with your reports and the in depth review i read from hdtv in poland that the picture quality is superb . I'm uk based ,the model over here 55L7943 has passive 3d and i'm torn between this and the 2013 panasonic 55dt65b or this years 50as650. The panasonics have some great smart features , ie Swipe technology with iphones ,mirroring whereby you can watch one of the tv's channels on a tablet or smartphone , streaming ,ability to operate tv with a smartphone app etc ......................can you please give an indication of what you feel about the smart features of the set please and if possible what you make of the 30w sound from the tv .
many thanks
post #796 of 905 Old 05-25-2014, 04:55 PM

What's the remote like? Can the TV work with a wireless keyboard?
The Vizio M-series has a qwerty keyboard on the back of the remote and it's $200 cheaper.
Why are people picking the Toshiba over the M-series?

efball@efball.com
post #797 of 905 Old 05-25-2014, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by efball View Post

What's the remote like? Can the TV work with a wireless keyboard?
The Vizio M-series has a qwerty keyboard on the back of the remote and it's $200 cheaper.
Why are people picking the Toshiba over the M-series?

For me, input lag and viewing angles are the pros. Cons may be overall PQ, by a slight margin.
post #798 of 905 Old 05-25-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdyson View Post

For me, input lag and viewing angles are the pros. Cons may be overall PQ, by a slight margin.
And unless Vizio has greatly improved their 2 sided remote improving the qwerty side then that shouldn't be a factor. In past models the keyboard had been spongy and fairly unresponsive.
post #799 of 905 Old 05-25-2014, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

And unless Vizio has greatly improved their 2 sided remote improving the qwerty side then that shouldn't be a factor. In past models the keyboard had been spongy and fairly unresponsive.

I won't use the included remote much anyway (Harmony).
post #800 of 905 Old 05-26-2014, 04:09 AM

All:

I happened to put on "Lincoln" last night and I realized I have a better way to "show" how Dynalight works with this set.

Sat. Night I had run my setup disc in a dark room to establish "Movie" better. I had all processing shut "Off" except Dynalight. This means I also had the auto sensor turned off.

These Pictures aren't the best so don't look at how clear they are but at the shades of "gray".

Dynalight - Off

Dynalight - Low

Dynalight - High

Now as you can see with Dynalight Off the picture was really not that great for back. With dynalight on I am pretty happy but as I have mentioned in other posts there are times where I can make out that some of the individual zones are not as back as others. Shortly after I took these pictures and resumed the movie I saw a perfect example where as the camera changes the angle of LIncoln addressing someone the "lighter" back moved from the bottom of the screen to the middle.

This got me to wonder if I have something else turned off in the TV setup that would help combat this and I may have found out what it is.

With my "tweaked" settings the backlight is set at 60.

I turned on the "auto-sensor" and it changed the backlight from 60 to -5. I'm sure it is doing this because I had every light in my room off. As soon as I turned this feature on the blacks improved dramatically. Sorry, no pic because my wife came in to hang out with me.

So my question to those on the forum that have LED/LCD sets.... should I be running my spears and munsil setup disc w/ the AutoSensor turned "on"? Could I re-run it this morning and then let the auto-sensor do it's thing?

I think that the LED brightness is too high for nighttime viewing and the auto sensor is helping correct the overly bright LED backlight sensing.

Thanks in advance.
post #801 of 905 Old 05-26-2014, 04:15 AM

I forgot to mention that earlier that same night I was watching plenty of. Other programming and never thought the blacks were bad. I watched the Coco Cola 600 and the pic was fantastic. Even with the shots of the fireworks! I did have many lights on in the house at the time...

The pic on this tv also blows away the brightness n color of my in-laws 720p Sammy plasma.
post #802 of 905 Old 05-26-2014, 04:49 AM

I think your backlight is far to high looks more bluish than black to mee

post #803 of 905 Old 05-26-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostion View Post

I think your backlight is far to high looks more bluish than black to mee
Agreed. Unless he maxed the backlight for testing purposes then this looks completely washed out.
post #804 of 905 Old 05-26-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Jerry/Quern,

I don't see why you need to use the auto sensor. Just turn the backlight down to whichever value you want it at. The backlight should not matter at all with how you calibrated it (as in setting black level/brightness and contrast) at a higher backlight setting since the backlight should be increasing or decreasing the overall screen brightness. This is how it is on the LCD I use in my bedroom. Maybe it is indeed different with a TV that has local dimming. I'd say just slap the backlight down to a lower setting and see if anything changes when you throw the calibration disc in. If it does then set things based off the new backlight setting.

Thanks for the comparison pics. As you stated, it's easy to see the effect dynalight is having. Do you notice any issues with it on the high setting? I have zero experience with LED dimming yet I'd imagine it may work similar to a dynamic iris and with some projectors when it is set too high you can see it working so you see fluctuations in the black level as it is opening/closing.

ROB
post #805 of 905 Old 05-26-2014, 08:26 AM

Finally went and saw this yesterday at a Paul's TV. They had it set up next to a 51" F8500 plasma and they were showing a cave scene from Lord of the Rings with a lot of black to deal with. The Toshiba produces a very pleasing image with a lot of dynamic range and great black levels. Viewing angle is also great compared to the other LCD's on display. The set has a clarity to it that the other LCD's on display were lacking.
quern likes this.
post #806 of 905 Old 05-26-2014, 08:51 AM

Liked: 12
@brightness sensor: if you have a constant lighting setup while watching TV and calibrate the TV for that setup, leave it off.

If you don't do that, the brightness sensor is a pretty good thing. All it does is adjust the backlight to a level that corresponds to the ambient light in the room. To the average user this is a much better viewing experience than autoview or dynamic etc. Simply turn on movie mode and the brightness sensor and you have a pretty ok picture if you're not going to professionally calibrate it.

As a sidenote, does the US version have auto-calibration? The EU version has (and most EU Toshibas in the past 2 years) it. You have a Hollywood Pro mode, and you need the Toshiba TPA-1 (Toshiba Picture Analyzer). Which is actually a repackaged Xrite Eodis3. The TV calibrates itself in 2min (primary and gamma).
post #807 of 905 Old 05-26-2014, 09:38 PM

Thank you all for the comments about the brightness sensor and comments on what I was seeing. I do believe that the standard "brightness" that the auto-on feature was choosing (-6) was not enough for a totally black room but it was dramatically better than the rating of 60 the set was using when I took the pictures that I posted.

I have moved the rating around tonight and I am not quite sure where I want it. Somewhere between -9 and -13 I think.... Given that I'm not familiar enough with LCD's I don't know exactly where it should be set to get me the best compromise of blacks and brightness. I know the pictures I posted the other day were way off. I can also say that I do believe the movie Lincoln is really good to see how sets perform with black levels.

I will leave this sensor on since this is my primary room and I need it to work for both daytime and night watching.

I have determined that I do not like the high setting for Dynalight. There is a scene in The Dark Night where the camera pan's around batman, the commish and the A.G. and the flickering from darker back to ligher black is too drastic for my taste. Low is more gradual and the setting I'll use from here on out.

I have a feeling that this set needs a proper calibration to really get it to sing. As I played with the back light setting I can see the blue hue the brighter I set it. I wonder what my back light setting would be if this was tamed down... I believe the grayscale is the culprit here? I also believe when calibrated I'd get a great picture that with the help of the light sensor would ensure that I get the best picture in the evening. Not too dark or too light.

The more I watch this set the more I like what I see. Some movies have shown great inky blacks in uniforms, etc... For example in the newest Superman the blacks of the costumes were awesome. Watching sports with all noise reduction/clearscan turned off is, in my opinion, also great.

I listened to the internal speakers briefly and they do put out quite a bit of sound. I didn't mess with the settings so all I can say is that it lacks bass/midrange with everything set flat... but I wouldn't expect anything less with a flat panel.

I am looking forward to others getting this set and posting their responses. It was great to get plasmaman's comments today... it helps me feel a bit more comfortable that I got a good set for the $$. Purchasing this set sight unseen and without any reviews has had me quite nervous.
post #808 of 905 Old 05-26-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I listened to the internal speakers briefly and they do put out quite a bit of sound. I didn't mess with the settings so all I can say is that it lacks bass/midrange with everything set flat... but I wouldn't expect anything less with a flat panel.

But it's got their special "labyrinth speaker system" which uses the screen itself as part of the sound system to get a deeper sound. You should crank the bass and see what it can do.

Toshiba Labyrinth Speaker System at 2014 CES (Click to show)

post #809 of 905 Old 05-26-2014, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

What's up with the crazy blue black levels?
post #810 of 905 Old 05-27-2014, 04:27 AM

WaveBoy, Got me.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - 55L7400U by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page