Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 904 Old 05-27-2014, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

What's up with the crazy blue black levels?

quern His pictures show possibly deep coloer / xvcoloer 

I  have that in  screen Sony .

give as Settings screen Picture

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 904 Old 05-27-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quern,

Yes, greyscale is probably the cause of the blue tint you are talking about. Many of these damn manufacturers go crazy with the cool colour temps which is a result of driving blue way too much. The reason for this is I believe it makes the sets brighter and people perceive the brighter blue image as having more pop. I just calibrated a Sharp 70SQ last night and even on the lowest color temp preset and decreasing the blue bias and gain to the lowest they can go I still had a bit too much blue at the upper and lower range though not enough to view by eye. It's annoying that they can't make just one damn preset be fairly accurate and leave all the rest to those who want to have their perceived pop and other inaccuracies.

Black having a tint can be tuned out in some cases and in other cases it can't be. I believe LCDs in general usually have a bluish tint to the black so I can't say for certain if it'd be corrected with a calibration.

I do agree that you should get the set calibrated if you're going to keep it as it does sound like out of the box it's pretty out of whack which seems to be common with most non high end TVs.

Thanks for the comment on the high dynalight setting. It's what I figured and that fluctuation jazz drives me nuts. How would you say the black level is between the two dynalight settings? I hope black still looks solid enough on the lower setting and isn't a big trade-off to not deal with image pumping.

ROB
post #813 of 904 Old 05-27-2014, 11:04 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post

Quern,
How would you say the black level is between the two dynalight settings? I hope black still looks solid enough on the lower setting and isn't a big trade-off to not deal with image pumping.

For me it looks like there isn't a "huge" difference between High and Low. There is some difference but it isn't drastic... but there is a drastic difference between Off and Low.
post #814 of 904 Old 05-27-2014, 01:43 PM

Liked: 10

btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WKxu5D9d8g&index=18&list=PLagp3E_Rr_FJJ_3agwUluRoTF3k-VCTZ6

Here he is talking about the blackest blacks, Quantum Black Local Dimming is he say, L7400 and L9400.

post #815 of 904 Old 05-28-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 36
by the time this tv gets a proper review + Rubbed with the Leo B Input lag tester, the 2015 Toshiba Full array LED's will already be realeased. wink.gif
What a joke, how long does it honestly for take these online reviews to whip up a review? I'm sure toshiba is at the last of the list.
post #816 of 904 Old 05-28-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

by the time this tv gets a proper review + Rubbed with the Leo B Input lag tester, the 2015 Toshiba Full array LED's will already be realeased. wink.gif
What a joke, how long does it honestly for take these online reviews to whip up a review? I'm sure toshiba is at the last of the list.
Toshiba can't even clearly specify what features the TV has and doesn't have. You think they have anyone competent trying to get their sets reviewed?
post #817 of 904 Old 05-28-2014, 05:09 PM

I emailed a few places asking about review status. Only one responded with an Aug receipt date for the set.

That was when Toshiba was sending them a set.

I noticed hat Toshiba's 2013 set reviews were recently posted. Which makes me wonder why they wait so long.
post #818 of 904 Old 05-28-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quern View Post

I emailed a few places asking about review status. Only one responded with an Aug receipt date for the set.

I noticed hat Toshiba's 2013 set reviews were recently posted. Which makes me wonder why they wait so long.

Well forget professional reviews then, i just want somebody to perform a Leo B input lag test on it so i can finally to decide if it's a yes or a no.
The set seems extremely bright(700 nits, vs the Vizio M's 350), has solid motion, deep black levels and great viewing angles. What exactly are the cons without jumping into Tech-dribble territory. :P Nasty case of Flashlighting, clouding, blooming, inaccurate colors?, weak PQ controls? ect.
Somebody just sum it up for me CNET style. wink.giftongue.gif
post #819 of 904 Old 05-28-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They're waiting until all the other 2014 models have been reviewed so that when the reviewer says something like, "No new 2014 set has let me down more this year with squandered potential..." they can really mean it and have a good baseline of comparison. biggrin.gif
post #820 of 904 Old 05-28-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdyson View Post

*sigh* No, no, no.

The glow around the search icon: cool. That's just "design". The flash lighting in the top left: not cool. Dat's baaaaaad.

Bad, yes. Blooming, no. It looks like a bug - there is no reason for that zone to be illuminated much brighter than the others.
post #821 of 904 Old 05-28-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdyson View Post

*sigh* No, no, no.

The glow around the search icon: cool. That's just "design". The flash lighting in the top left: not cool. Dat's baaaaaad.

Bad, yes. Blooming, no. It looks like a bug - there is no reason for that zone to be illuminated much brighter than the others.

It is part of the design of the dialog. I've looked at it on this 7 y/o CCFL backlit Mitsubishi on 4 devices and it's there on every page of the Netflix Kids menu (Roku 3, TiVo Roamio, Xbox 360 and PS3). More difficult to see on some pages because there's more text in that corner covering it up. The regular Netflix UI has a black background without that gradient.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #822 of 904 Old 05-28-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:

No bug. It is how it's designed. I moved my rocku to a different set to confirm this.
post #823 of 904 Old 05-28-2014, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

No bug. It is how it's designed. I moved my rocku to a different set to confirm this.
Roku or the TV?
post #824 of 904 Old 05-28-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

Roku or the TV?

roku software. I have same exact look in the corner on my sharp that I've had for years. Others have also confirmed this
post #825 of 904 Old 05-28-2014, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

roku software. I have same exact look in the corner on my sharp that I've had for years. Others have also confirmed this
What a weird anomoly. Don't they know that us A/V junkies will obsess over screen uniformity? How could they design such a weird interface? It's like Chevy designing a car where the headlight are pointed inside the car.
post #826 of 904 Old 05-28-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

Quote:

What a weird anomoly. Don't they know that us A/V junkies will obsess over screen uniformity? How could they design such a weird interface? It's like Chevy designing a car where the headlight are pointed inside the car.

But in any case, it is not blooming, correct?
post #827 of 904 Old 05-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

yeah that is what he is saying.
post #828 of 904 Old 05-28-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:

Correct.

It's how Netflix has the children's page set up. Michaeltacott also notices it. See post 772
post #829 of 904 Old 05-28-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Correct.

It's how Netflix has the children's page set up. Michaeltacott also notices it. See post 772

I've unfortunately seen that image being used on other threads to imply that blooming on the L7400U is horrible mad.gif
post #830 of 904 Old 05-28-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:

Quote:

Correct.

Exactly. As I posted before, I've seen it in that UI on multiple devices. Netflix's player is written in web authoring languages (principally Java) and runs in a pared down, application optimized layout/rendering engine of their own design (the older common Netflix UI ran on Webkit). They can change it as easily as they change their web site, without requiring a firmware update by the platform OEMs.

You can see that corner gradient on pictures of that Netflix Kids UI at the bottom of this page in the Xbox support site. Here are some instructions on how to program linear gradient fades on web pages smile.gif.

They should have made that more dramatic; the change in color is subtle enough to make it look like an error of some kind.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #831 of 904 Old 05-28-2014, 09:07 PM

Someone posted their first impression review on Amazon. I'm sure a few people are looking for this since I haven't tested everything yet but a couple points this person liked are

- Great color reproduction (Colors "pop")
- Video games look amazingly crisp. Honestly, my games looked "enhanced" and I can barely see any ghosting (game mode with Chroma 4:4:4 definitely improves picture quality)
- I can't detect a noticeable input lag ( This was a big fear for me but I am pleased that game controller inputs register promptly, keep in mind I was using the gaming mode picture setting)
- Smart TV interface isn't lightning quick but it isn't slow either
- Sound is really good! When I saw the box it mentioned a Labyrinth Speaker System. Why in the world Toshiba didn't mention this on their website is beyond me. I really was considering purchasing a sound bar before receiving the TV but I'm so impressed with the sound from this TV that I really don't see a need to do so anymore.

Con:
-Black Levels vary (I can see grey especially when looking at a black screen or movie but it's subtle and by no means bad but if you're looking for it, you'll see it)

From playing around w/ my set my comment to this viewer's blacks is that the reviewer may not be setting to Movie Mode in a dark room... and/or if in a dark room may not be turning the back light down. After having turned down my back light I am happier with the blacks but still feel I need the professional touch to dial everything in. With dark movies like Lincoln you'll notice that black ins't "black"... but is an LCD set ever black? I don't know since I've never owned one until now. When watching material during the daylight or with program that isn't shot completely in the Dark... the blacks look fantastic. Heck, I watched 24 last night and I was not disappointed in the black that is slowly filled in with each individual shot as they are returning from/going to commercial.
post #832 of 904 Old 05-29-2014, 01:42 AM

Liked: 12
@no Toshibas being reviewed:

Samsung has a huge marketshare and the biggest advertising budget worldwide. They buy a lot of adspace in testing magazines, which creates a double bias towards testing their products first:

The magazines create revenue through sales of the magazine or by people clicking their page. As there's a huge Samsung ownerbase they can increase the number of people reading their article.

Samsung being such a huge advertiser creates the need for the magazine to test their product first as it creates a feeling that you must return the favour, additionally, it would be very bad for the magazine to lose such a huge advertiser financially.

It also leads to reviews being overly positive.

Kind of a vicious circle. But goes to show whatmarketing geniuses Samsung are and how easily humans and Systems can be manipulated once there is enough conglomeration of wealth and power.
post #833 of 904 Old 05-29-2014, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

Someone posted their first impression review on Amazon. I'm sure a few people are looking for this since I haven't tested everything yet but a couple points this person liked are

- Great color reproduction (Colors "pop")
- Video games look amazingly crisp. Honestly, my games looked "enhanced" and I can barely see any ghosting (game mode with Chroma 4:4:4 definitely improves picture quality)
- I can't detect a noticeable input lag ( This was a big fear for me but I am pleased that game controller inputs register promptly, keep in mind I was using the gaming mode picture setting)
- Smart TV interface isn't lightning quick but it isn't slow either
- Sound is really good! When I saw the box it mentioned a Labyrinth Speaker System. Why in the world Toshiba didn't mention this on their website is beyond me. I really was considering purchasing a sound bar before receiving the TV but I'm so impressed with the sound from this TV that I really don't see a need to do so anymore.

Con:
-Black Levels vary (I can see grey especially when looking at a black screen or movie but it's subtle and by no means bad but if you're looking for it, you'll see it)

From playing around w/ my set my comment to this viewer's blacks is that the reviewer may not be setting to Movie Mode in a dark room... and/or if in a dark room may not be turning the back light down. After having turned down my back light I am happier with the blacks but still feel I need the professional touch to dial everything in. With dark movies like Lincoln you'll notice that black ins't "black"... but is an LCD set ever black? I don't know since I've never owned one until now. When watching material during the daylight or with program that isn't shot completely in the Dark... the blacks look fantastic. Heck, I watched 24 last night and I was not disappointed in the black that is slowly filled in with each individual shot as they are returning from/going to commercial.

Solid review, but I would still wait for a true Z8 equivalent.
post #834 of 904 Old 05-29-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

Solid review, but I would still wait for a true Z8 equivalent.
Why? Are you going to buy a Z8, and what is a true Z8 equivalent?
post #835 of 904 Old 05-29-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 129
A chap over at AV Forums got the Euro version today and he just posted this:

Quote:
Quick update but things not looking good frown.gif

Just tried Iron Man 3 and the black bars seriously fluctuate from black to grey when the scene changes with Active Backlight Control on either High or Low.

With it off there is serious clouding.

Happy to have been the guinea pig but I don't think this is going to be a keeper straight off.

then he later posted this after being asked if there was a setting he may have missed:
Quote:
I don't think so mate, but basically that is the W9 equivalent of LED Dynamic Control. It is truly awful and what makes it worse is that our living room is currently pretty bright so I dread to think how bad it will be in a few hours when the sun goes down (auto brightness / Eco also turned off btw).

I can also see both horizontal AND vertical banding on a bright screen, even when there's no panning!

I will see if there is a FW update but I'm not holding out much up.

Given the 55W9 can be bought for roughly the same price, there simply isn't a comparison. They are leagues apart.

A little gutted but hey ho. I don't expect the TV to be faulty either, just a poor panel, so I definitely won't go for a replacement.

Will still have a play and see if I am missing something but I don't think I am sadly.

Oh the joys of televisions!

ROB
post #836 of 904 Old 05-29-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Damn.....
post #837 of 904 Old 05-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

Just tried Iron Man 3 and the black bars seriously fluctuate from black to grey when the scene changes with Active Backlight Control on either High or Low.

Happy to have been the guinea pig but I don't think this is going to be a keeper straight off.

From everything I have read, it seems like you have to do a lot of tweaking to get a great pic. It seems to come out of the box with eco mode and auto picture turned on and features such as ColorMaster and HDR off.
post #838 of 904 Old 05-29-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

From everything I have read, it seems like you have to do a lot of tweaking to get a great pic. It seems to come out of the box with eco mode and auto picture turned on and features such as ColorMaster and HDR off.

Can you point me to your review's? I concur that I've had to make tweaks to get things looking good. You all have seen how I freaked when using Auto Mode and watching Lincoln. Horrible picture... but after going to "movie" and setting the auto light sensor to On (which set the backlight to -5 rather than the Movie default of 60) it helped out greatly. it's still not jet black but I don't expect it to... I just don't know if what I have is "good".
post #839 of 904 Old 05-29-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

then he later posted this after being asked if there was a setting he may have missed:
Quote:
I don't think so mate, but basically that is the W9 equivalent of LED Dynamic Control. It is truly awful and what makes it worse is that our living room is currently pretty bright so I dread to think how bad it will be in a few hours when the sun goes down (auto brightness / Eco also turned off btw).

I can also see both horizontal AND vertical banding on a bright screen, even when there's no panning!

I will see if there is a FW update but I'm not holding out much up.

Given the 55W9 can be bought for roughly the same price, there simply isn't a comparison. They are leagues apart.

A little gutted but hey ho. I don't expect the TV to be faulty either, just a poor panel, so I definitely won't go for a replacement.

Will still have a play and see if I am missing something but I don't think I am sadly.

Oh the joys of televisions!

Can someone explain what this means (W9 equivalent)??
post #840 of 904 Old 05-29-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Woa. Now I'm kind of contemplating weather i should just go for the Vizio non-smart 48" E or not. Being a gamer and shopping for the right HDTV truly sucks. oh the joy! Bottom feeder skimped out bare bones entry level sets a plenty! hurray biggrin.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page