post #871 of 905 Old 05-30-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveBoy View Post

I hear ya, i've lost quite a bit of interest in the L7400 myself based on that one users opinion down over at the AVForum...But at least i can order it online, rather than taking a trip to the states and dealing with the hassle of getting a vizio. However, the Sony 50" 800B seems to be an amazing set, with 23ms of input lag. But it's price tag is running $1399 CAD. I may still be waffling around with my HDTV purchase, but i at least picked up a new TV stand just yesterday haha. tongue.gif It's now just a waiting game for input lag numbers(E 48" B2, E 50" B1, M 49" B2) and a Pro review of the L7400. I'll just wait it out....again, and stick to my CRT for now. If i weren't a gamer, i'd plop on down to the states and just go for the Vizio M 49" and call it a day.
*sigh* Seriously? One person gets a defective TV and the world ends?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 905 Old 05-30-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Quote:

I hear ya, i've lost quite a bit of interest in the L7400 myself based on that one users opinion down over at the AVForum...But at least i can order it online, rather than taking a trip to the states and dealing with the hassle of getting a vizio. However, the Sony 50" 800B seems to be an amazing set, with 23ms of input lag. But it's price tag is running $1399 CAD. I may still be waffling around with my HDTV purchase, but i at least picked up a new TV stand just yesterday haha. tongue.gif It's now just a waiting game for input lag numbers(E 48" B2, E 50" B1, M 49" B2) and a Pro review of the L7400. I'll just wait it out....again, and stick to my CRT for now. If i weren't a gamer, i'd plop on down to the states and just go for the Vizio M 49" and call it a day.
*sigh* Seriously? One person gets a defective TV and the world ends?

You must not realize whom you're replying to wink.gif expect the same thing once "bad sets" start to appear in the Vizio threads as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #873 of 905 Old 05-31-2014, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post

Jerry, within the Auto Brightness Setting, when ON can you enter it? Also does the Main Backlight Setting change from 0-100 to 0-50 when Auto Brightness is On?

You are correct. If Auto Brightness is "off" then backlighting goes from 0-100.

If AutoBrightness is "on" it goes from -50 to 50.
post #874 of 905 Old 05-31-2014, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by quern View Post

You are correct. If Auto Brightness is "off" then backlighting goes from 0-100.

If AutoBrightness is "on" it goes from -50 to 50.

So when you "enter" the Auto Brightness Setting you don't get an option to select Backlight Adjustment Pro?
post #875 of 905 Old 05-31-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:

So when you "enter" the Auto Brightness Setting you don't get an option to select Backlight Adjustment Pro?

No, I do not see any option for a pro adjustment area.
post #876 of 905 Old 05-31-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Quote:

No, I do not see any option for a pro adjustment area.

Sad Toshiba took that feature out. It was a great feature when Auto Brightness is enabled.

Sent from Kit Kat rooted Galaxy Nexus
post #877 of 905 Old 05-31-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:

Sad Toshiba took that feature out. It was a great feature when Auto Brightness is enabled.

Sent from Kit Kat rooted Galaxy Nexus

How would that feature be used?
post #878 of 905 Old 05-31-2014, 08:09 AM

Last night I was watching a show (Penny Dreadful) with my wife and pointed out how in dark movies the zones light up. She see's it as flickering.

I know know that it's the zones because in a movie I was watching the bottom 2 zones were illuminated and then with a move of the screen the 2nd row of zones from the bottom also illuminated. So 4 zones were not as black as the top 4 zones.

Do you all watch movies with some sort of ambient light on?

Do you think a prof. calibration would help eliminate this (not that it'd go away but bet better because back light, brightness, grayscale, etc... would be properly set up)?

I always shut off all my lights but a set way off to the side when watching my old CRT set. No with this set I think I either need to turn more lights on or get used to seeing this happen with dark movies.

Currently the kids have The Croods on and it looks fantastic. So watching in daylight it's great.

I found an open box Panasonic 55" ST60 plasma... i haven't seen it in person yet but this was the set I had originally planned to get. It's the right size and Plasma would eliminate my issues. I am very tempted to see what Amazon is going to hit me with to return it.

Thoughts?
post #879 of 905 Old 05-31-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 143
No, the fluctuation won't go away with a calibration. It's basically what oliviasdad was talking about at avforums and I feel you confirming it here indicates it wasn't just the set he got as being a complete dud and it is how the dimming system works.

As I stated recently, I say you just return the set if it won't be a big hassle to do so and get the Vizio M series if that plasma has any issues being an open box.

Thanks for reporting this as it has fully crossed this tv off my list. While not the same thing, I have a Panny VT20 plasma where the black level fluctuates during dark and brighter scenes and it is incredibly annoying.

ROB
post #880 of 905 Old 05-31-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:

Last night I was watching a show (Penny Dreadful) with my wife and pointed out how in dark movies the zones light up. She see's it as flickering.

I know know that it's the zones because in a movie I was watching the bottom 2 zones were illuminated and then with a move of the screen the 2nd row of zones from the bottom also illuminated. So 4 zones were not as black as the top 4 zones.

Do you all watch movies with some sort of ambient light on?

Do you think a prof. calibration would help eliminate this (not that it'd go away but bet better because back light, brightness, grayscale, etc... would be properly set up)?

I always shut off all my lights but a set way off to the side when watching my old CRT set. No with this set I think I either need to turn more lights on or get used to seeing this happen with dark movies.

Currently the kids have The Croods on and it looks fantastic. So watching in daylight it's great.

I found an open box Panasonic 55" ST60 plasma... i haven't seen it in person yet but this was the set I had originally planned to get. It's the right size and Plasma would eliminate my issues. I am very tempted to see what Amazon is going to hit me with to return it.

Thoughts?

Unless you're able to return the ST60 at no cost to you I wouldn't chance as it may have image retention from being a demo or from a past owner. You may want to check out the M series as its dimming scheme appears to be more unobtrusive and it also appears to have better black levels overall. The top or side bars shouldn't look greyish even in a dark scene.

Just my interpretation of your thoughts but it sounds like you'll have regret if you don't return the Toshiba.
rlindo likes this.

Samsung UN48H6350
Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #881 of 905 Old 05-31-2014, 12:37 PM

Well I just placed my call to Amazon and they are going to pick the set back up from me.

I also confirmed that the location with the Panasonic 55" ST60 does have a 30 day money back window. All I'm missing is the Remote w/ it so I'll just set up my Harmony and go from there. Hopefully this set will give me what I want.

Oh... one other Toshiba related note. I noticed right to left panning judder yesterday watching a short Disney film on Disney Jr. Noticed it today also. And I have ClearScan turned on "Low". Hmmmm....
post #882 of 905 Old 05-31-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I just placed my call to Amazon and they are going to pick the set back up from me.

I also confirmed that the location with the Panasonic 55" ST60 does have a 30 day money back window. All I'm missing is the Remote w/ it so I'll just set up my Harmony and go from there. Hopefully this set will give me what I want.

Oh... one other Toshiba related note. I noticed right to left panning judder yesterday watching a short Disney film on Disney Jr. Noticed it today also. And I have ClearScan turned on "Low". Hmmmm....

Good luck with the Panasonic. Though this is a Toshiba thread still let us know how the ST60 compares for reference. Thanks.

Samsung UN48H6350
Samsung PN60E7000
post #883 of 905 Old 05-31-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update Jerry and I'm pleased for you that you're getting a different set.

ROB
post #884 of 905 Old 05-31-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 40
If that AVforums set is just a dud with excessive clouding, then my only real worry would be the black levels at this point. They seem to be a like a mixed bag.
post #885 of 905 Old 05-31-2014, 02:50 PM

Right now I'd say I'm a bit disappointed in what Toshiba provided. Only 8 zones of local dimming to me are too small for a 55" set. If they would have gone w/ 12 then at least, in theory, they could have controlled the blacks a bit better when pictures shift. I wouldn't mind the center of the screen shifting but all the way out to the sides... it was just too much for me.

Maybe after reviews come out I'll find out that the set performs best when set up a certain way and calibrated... i just don't have the stomach to drop more $$ into something I haven't been 100% happy with. Personally i'd rather have a uniform level of black-ish black from a decent edge lit set than have blacks shift. I stumbled on the 55" Panny ST60... crossing my fingers the demo unit is in great condition. Verbally told "pristine"
'
post #886 of 905 Old 05-31-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:

Right now I'd say I'm a bit disappointed in what Toshiba provided. Only 8 zones of local dimming to me are too small for a 55" set. If they would have gone w/ 12 then at least, in theory, they could have controlled the blacks a bit better when pictures shift. I wouldn't mind the center of the screen shifting but all the way out to the sides... it was just too much for me.

Maybe after reviews come out I'll find out that the set performs best when set up a certain way and calibrated... i just don't have the stomach to drop more $$ into something I haven't been 100% happy with. Personally i'd rather have a uniform level of black-ish black from a decent edge lit set than have blacks shift. I stumbled on the 55" Panny ST60... crossing my fingers the demo unit is in great condition. Verbally told "pristine"
'

Hard to argue with you.

Who ever would have imagined that the L7400U would have only 2/3 the number of dimming zones of the 55" Vizio E-Series (a TV of only 2/3 the price of the L7400U)?

The L7400U seemed to be aiming to compete against the Vizio M Series, but the Vizio M has 4 times the number of dimming zones at a price that is still at least 10% lower than the L7400U.

It looks like Toshiba has shot themselves in the foot again with the L7400U (at least as far as the US market goes). Still maintaining some hope that the L9400U proves to be a compelling Elite-like FALD TV at a price well below the Sony X950B and only about 50% higher than the Vizio P.

But if the L9400U only has 64 LDZs like the Vizio P (or less), it's going to be another shot-in-the-foot (and maybe the last shot for Toshiba in the US market).
rlindo likes this.
post #887 of 905 Old 05-31-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If that AVforums set is just a dud with excessive clouding, then my only real worry would be the black levels at this point. They seem to be a like a mixed bag.

If the panel is the same as the version with 3D then it is an IPS and IPS is worse than VA with black. You then throw in a tiny amount of zones and it seems like it is a given the black will be mediocre if not being dimmed and I'd say quern and oliviasdad (and the Amazon.com reviewer) have pretty much confirmed that.

ROB
post #888 of 905 Old 05-31-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Hard to argue with you.

Who ever would have imagined that the L7400U would have only 2/3 the number of dimming zones of the 55" Vizio E-Series (a TV of only 2/3 the price of the L7400U)?

The L7400U seemed to be aiming to compete against the Vizio M Series, but the Vizio M has 4 times the number of dimming zones at a price that is still at least 10% lower than the L7400U.

It looks like Toshiba has shot themselves in the foot again with the L7400U (at least as far as the US market goes). Still maintaining some hope that the L9400U proves to be a compelling Elite-like FALD TV at a price well below the Sony X950B and only about 50% higher than the Vizio P.

But if the L9400U only has 64 LDZs like the Vizio P (or less), it's going to be another shot-in-the-foot (and maybe the last shot for Toshiba in the US market).

It seems that with the watered down version we got here in North America that Toshiba just didn't care much about this market. I guess maybe they figured they had too big an uphill battle with the likes of Vizio in the U.S. yet releasing a mediocre set compared to your competitors doesn't make much sense since it isn't going to get big sales and turn things around. May as well have just skipped the market here.

ROB
post #889 of 905 Old 06-02-2014, 10:27 AM

Liked: 11
Hi All,
I enjoyed the discussions on this TV. I had narrowed down my choices to the following:
Toshiba 55L7400
Sony 50/55 w800b
Vizio M602i-B3
Samsung 60pnf 5300

I chose the Samsung because the price has just dropped to $ 680. My wife and kids were sick of my wavering. I wasn't looking for the perfect TV, but one that would bridge the gap between my dying JVC LCOS 56fn97 set and something in 5 years.

Again thank you for the information and sometimes hilarious debate about television sets.

Bill
rlindo likes this.
post #890 of 905 Old 06-02-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpsie View Post

Hi All,
I enjoyed the discussions on this TV. I had narrowed down my choices to the following:
Toshiba 55L7400
Sony 50/55 w800b
Vizio M602i-B3
Samsung 60pnf 5300

I chose the Samsung because the price has just dropped to $ 680. My wife and kids were sick of my wavering. I wasn't looking for the perfect TV, but one that would bridge the gap between my dying JVC LCOS 56fn97 set and something in 5 years.

Again thank you for the information and sometimes hilarious debate about television sets.

Bill

Not a bad choice at all. You should have very good PQ as long you don't have too many screen reflections and your room isn't too bright. If your not familiar with plasmas displays you may want to familiarize yourself ways to be less susceptible to image retention.

Samsung UN48H6350
Samsung PN60E7000
post #891 of 905 Old 06-05-2014, 10:57 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

I wish someone else here had this set. I can't figure out if I return it to Amazon or stick with it. The other thread has me wondering....

I'm very happy with my set after 3 weeks of use. I think it's a great picture, no regrets.
post #892 of 905 Old 06-06-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Thought I would post this here just to clear up any confusion other forum members may have created about the L7. It is in no way related to the Z8. It has a completely different processor, specs, and picture quality. If anything it is related to the J8. Here are picture for proof. Note the input layout difference (different mainboard/processor). The L7 has two USB ports, meanwhile the Z8 has four. It most likely shares the same higher input lag to its lesser models (around 30ms).

L7:

Z8:

post #893 of 905 Old 06-06-2014, 09:12 PM

Just thought I'd share a quick comment about the 55l7400 that is headed back to Amazon tomorrow.

There were moments where I really thought the picture looked great and impressed me. This was always during daylight or watching with the lights on. Scenes that had a lot of light looked great with dark blacks.

Where the set fell short, in my opinion, was with nighttime viewing in dark movies. I just couldn't get over seeing the dark level shift when zones were activated.

I will say that my wife was commenting the other day that she thought I was extremely picky. Seeing things that she really didn't see. Maybe I was being too analytic... looking for problems... but I think not. If I were an every day viewer I'd probably have loved the set and been done with it.

I will say that I am very glad I followed others suggestions to return the set. Finding a demo Panasonic 55st60 at a close Sears was 100% worth the drive.

The Toshiba was VERY bright. I'm sure this Panny won't compete in that area... but the overall picture is just so much more superior. I LOVE the blacks and colors with the ST60. I marvel at how the picture seams to have depth that my old CRT never had. I do believe the picture is better than the Toshiba also. I look forward to eventually getting this unit calibrated. For now I'm enjoying it for what it has and will be going through my setup disc tomorrow night.

Cheers.
post #894 of 905 Old 06-06-2014, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Most any LCD can look deceivingly good during the daytime. Nighttime is indeed the acid test, and it sounds like this is another mediocre performer in a long line. The ST60 was a hell of a bargain. I'm enjoying my ZT60 until a big screen OLED comes along (at greater than 65") that I can afford.
quern likes this.
post #895 of 905 Old 06-07-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, daytime viewing can/will make black look super deep. I spent 1.5 weeks using the Sharp SQ while staying at my parents' house and with ambient light during the day the black blended in with the bezel. At night time thought he black level was mediocre although the rest of the image looked about the same in day and night so it is black level that IMO is the big difference with ambient and no ambient light. It's also the same with plasma of course as well. I have a VT20 and during the day the black is very deep. At night it isn't much better than the SQ.

It is this which makes me sort of chuckle when I see people comparing TVs in a store and commenting on black level.

ROB
post #896 of 905 Old 06-07-2014, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I still wonder if there isn't a way to squeeze some good low-light PQ out of this set without sacrificing contrast/black levels -- but I don't hold out much hope. I think this set is just designed for bright rooms, and would probably burn my eyes (figuratively) trying to watch it in a dark room. I guess if we get a pro review, we'll find out, but I think I've moved on (back to the Vizio M series). My wallet certainly agrees...
post #897 of 905 Old 06-14-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
"Even avjunkey (a Panasonic employee) on hdtvjunkie site is bashing Panasonic and is searching to move to another company. He said they fired people and closed factories to get to profit instead of correcting their mistakes and errors. Typical of big corporations."
Capitalism at work, what else would you expect.

Looking through the specs here, this is the first set I have seen with direct input ability (combo of 2 buttons) and two composite inputs (one shared with component) for those with legacy equipment. But, the eight dimming zones kinda ruins it. (This only has 8 zones, correct?)

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #898 of 905 Old 06-14-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Quote:
"Even avjunkey (a Panasonic employee) on hdtvjunkie site is bashing Panasonic and is searching to move to another company. He said they fired people and closed factories to get to profit instead of correcting their mistakes and errors. Typical of big corporations."
Capitalism at work, what else would you expect.

Looking through the specs here, this is the first set I have seen with direct input ability (combo of 2 buttons) and two composite inputs (one shared with component) for those with legacy equipment. But, the eight dimming zones kinda ruins it. (This only has 8 zones, correct?)
Judging by the Polish press confernce slide it says 6 zones for the L7, but they may have smaller sizes in their L7 series. Whatever it is, it does not appear to be many. I would wait for a full review from one of the A/V testing websites.

post #899 of 905 Old 06-23-2014, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
post #900 of 905 Old 06-23-2014, 11:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raitzi View Post

As posted and discussed in this thread a month ago, back here. But thanks anyway .

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - 55L7400U by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page