Forum Jump: 
post #901 of 912 Old 06-24-2014, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post
As posted and discussed in this thread a month ago, back here. But thanks anyway .
You know, I never read that review top to bottom - it was pretty much glowing. They did mention under Cons that calibration was required, so I wonder if we'll see a big difference when somebody does a thorough calibration. I don't have experience in that area, so it won't be me, but I find myself still wanting a professional review of the US version of this set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 912 Old 06-24-2014, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdyson View Post
You know, I never read that review top to bottom - it was pretty much glowing. They did mention under Cons that calibration was required, so I wonder if we'll see a big difference when somebody does a thorough calibration. I don't have experience in that area, so it won't be me, but I find myself still wanting a professional review of the US version of this set.
There is some question about whether our 55L7400U is the same as that L7 over there. I feel ours is more equivalent to the cheaper Japanese J8 based on the shell design and single core CEVO engine and others feel it more equivalant to the Z8 without the 3D and a few other changes. Ours supposedly has some kind of dimming like the Z8, so maybe it is a mix of the 2. The box on the back is the Time shift HDD box and is not sold in the US.
Still, it was a very glowing and in depth review. I like how they took it apart to try to gauge who makes the panel and identify some of the components. With everyone using mostly Chinese parts and rebaging panels it is something I would like the American reviews to start doing.
It did seem like it took a lot of tweaking to get the best picture out of it. The 55L7400U has been out for awhile now and I would have thought there would have been a professional US review of it by now, but there still has not been one.
post #903 of 912 Old 06-25-2014, 04:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Toshiba isn't that big of a player in the US, never really was.
For anyone that is critical, ALL TV's need calibration, some more than others.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #904 of 912 Old 06-25-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Toshiba isn't that big of a player in the US, never really was.
For anyone that is critical, ALL TV's need calibration, some more than others.
I still have one of their 35" CRT in kids game room for their Wii. Picture has a slight green tint and the remote stopped working, but they got many good years out of it. I don't think Toshiba was ever a top tier company here in the US, but with everyone basically using Chinese parts now days, I don't think it matters much anymore.
post #905 of 912 Old 10-06-2014, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have always wondered if my set could have been corrected with a professional calibration... so I've always looked for reviews to see how they compared to my assessment.

It's comforting to see that reviewed.com has the same impression that I had. The set was bad in low light but does have some good qualities.

I'm happier than a clam that I got rid of the Toshiba for my Panny Plasma. Glad to see that my assessment was good.

Jerry

http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...-led-tv-review
post #906 of 912 Old 12-09-2014, 09:15 AM

Liked: 11
I had a real problem. My credit card balance was going down rapidly and my savings account balance was going up. I solved the problem by acquiring a 55l7400u on closeout from Paul's TV here in Michigan on Monday night. December 8. I'll spare you my preliminary settings adjustments until I spend a few more nights with it and learn the advanced picture controls. I'll just give you my initial impressions.

In my opinion. The set is a knockout, brilliant beyond my expectations, ink blacks and much better dark scene detail and absolutely perfect color saturation and accuracy which has always been a Toshiba strong suit. I used the Green Bay football telecast and an HD movie on STARZ for my initial adjustment process and produced perfect Green Bay green and yellows and accurate flesh tones throughout. The black bars on the movie are just that, deep true black; no grays or blues. Voices pop out of background music and sound and there's no bass hum or rumble from the labyrinth sound system, highly comparable to the audio output of my Onkyo 750-watt receiver. The zone dimming and dynamic contrast shifts did generate some small yet weird brightness shifts but I'm certain that I can all but eliminate them with settings adjustments over time.

Hey look: maybe I'd be just as excited about the Vizio zone dimming model mentioned in this thread or the comparable Samsung microdimming model. I don't know about that. I don't care about that either. What I do know is that I'm now watching a brand I've always had a preference for that's delivering video and audio quality that exceed my high and hopeful expectations for it....all for a price well south of $1K . It's my fifth Toshiba TV including a 2- year-old 32" crt and a 46" 1080P CCFL lcd acquired about seven years ago. Every one of them exceeded my expectations at the time; every one of them is still up and performing well, glitch- free and repair-free.

I'll post my settings results when I get everything just right. By the way, if you catch me out shopping for the Toshiba 58" UHD set..shoot me.

P.S. This is my first encounter with the controversial and "dreaded" soap opera effect. I surprised myself. I really like and prefer that kind of picture.

Last edited by RCA don; 12-09-2014 at 10:22 AM. Reason: additional comment
post #907 of 912 Old 12-09-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Yeah, there are a few oddballs out there who love SOE .

The 58L8400 is only $1100 at B&H, no tax, free shipping. Are you sure you don't want to upgrade ? (Their price for the 55L7400 is $200 less).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #908 of 912 Old 12-09-2014, 06:33 PM

Michael:

I'm a little less odd now than when I wrote my initial post. I've since found the SOE to be a novelty I really could do without. I turned off the clearscan(motion smoother)and the SOE all but disappeared.You certainly make a sensible observation about that $1.1K price for the Toshiba 8400 but I did pay $300 less than that for my 7400. Moving up to 4K just isn't worth it to me at this juncture. I've eyeballed 4K performance using a BLUray of The Bourne Legacy(Jeremy Renner) at Paul's TV and didn't really see a measurable increase in overall picture quality over the same program on the 7400 I subsequently purchased. If substantial UHD programming were just down the road, I'd think differently but it appears the opposite is true. Are you considering either set for yourself, by the way?

Last edited by RCA don; 12-09-2014 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Correct price mentions
post #909 of 912 Old 12-09-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 797
I bought a Vizio P602ui-B3 4K TV from Best Buy, delivered on 20 October. I lost interest in the L7400u when we determined that it had a pretty low local dimming zone count (the P60 has 64 LDZs). The L8400u has reportedly 48 LDZs, which might have been interesting but it was a long time getting to market. They seem to have dropped the 65" top-of-the-line L9300u and now offer it only as a $17K 87" model. None of the major review sites have touched these as yet (CNET, rtings.com, reviewed.com, soundandvision, hdguru, etc); all have posted reviews of the 2014 Vizio HDTVs and UHDTVs.

Ooops! Sorry--reviewed.com posted a somewhat flacid review of your television here; CNET didn't review the 55L7400u, but they did post a scathing review of the pricey 65L9300u before it was canceled, here; rtings.com, soundandvision and hdguru did not review them.

The Vizio P-Series was seriously dissed by SoundandVision and HDGuru but fairly well received elsewhere, with the P65 earning reviewed.com's Editor's Choice and Best-of-the-Year commendations. rtings.com gave my P60 an 8.2/10 and CNET gave the P65 and P55 a 3.5/5 "Very Good" mark.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #910 of 912 Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM

IT'S A KEEPER.

After considering michaelscott's very insightful and informed comments and caveats and eyeballing his 4K and/or 1080P zone dimming suggestions, I made one last flurry of picture adjustments(short of calibration) and made a decision. This 55l7400u is a keeper in my opinion. For $300 to 500 less than a UHD set or a 1080P with a zillion dimming zones, I got the big, brilliant TV I'd hoped to acquire at the exact price I was really willing to pay.

Here's what I really like and why I'd recommend the set to anyone with objectives comparable to mine: It's a truly brilliant TV-Color density and accuracy are superb-zone dimming and contrast shifts are effective and virtually unnoticeable with the Dynalight setting low or off- the audio system is the very best I've ever heard from any TV, no treble squeals, no hissing, no bass rumble or groan, just clear voices and perfectly balanced background music or sound-more dark scene detail is significantly better than that of my Tosh 46h300u-almost zero input lag- the brushed chrome lower bezel and stand are inobtrusive and attractive.

What I don't like or am not certain about: -the local dimming performance over time from the comparatively small number of zones and overall black level performance. That's it. I going to calibrate the set before I make a final determination about the quality of the black levels.

Last edited by RCA don; Yesterday at 08:10 PM. Reason: Removal of request for calibration disc information: going with AVS 709
post #911 of 912 Unread Today, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Bad Review in Europe.

Not full-array. Maybe J8

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/47l74...1407283866.htm
post #912 of 912 Unread Today, 10:00 AM

proyal:

I don't think the UK model reviewed is an exact match for my 7400. Key difference: passive 3D on the UK model which suggests that even the panel might be different. That aside, the assessments of black level performance and small number of dimming zones are consistent with reviews of my 7400 here in the US. Interesting tech data though; it makes me want to determine which panel my set has. Thanks for the input.
Above all, still enjoying the great picture and color accuracy....from the biased eyes and vantage point of the owner. Yep, I'm still keeping it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - 55L7400U by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page