Official Owners thread Samsung Flat Panel 4K UNxxHU8550 UExxHU7500 - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 131 Old 05-22-2014, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, crud. It's back to not working...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 131 Old 05-25-2014, 02:01 PM

Liked: 14
Greetings all,

I posted this in a couple of other forums at this site, desperate for an answer. I hope that's ok.

I’m having an issue that I can’t work out. Everything was fine with the following configuration:

TV: Samsung HL61A750A (older DLP 61”).
AVR: Denon AVR-X3000.
HTPC (home build) w/ASROCK Z87 Extreme 4 M/B, I5-4670K CPU. I’m using the onboard graphics of the CPU; no graphics card.
New HDMI cables throughout.

Yesterday, I got my brand new TV. Samsung UN65HU8500 (Costco version of UN65HU8550?).
Cable and Blu-ray working but the blu-ray video drops out every 10 seconds or so. The home theater PC however, is not working. No video. TV shows message on-screen saying “no signal”. I do get sound sometimes though. I know this because when I click the arrows on my Logitech keyboard (linked to the HTPC), I can hear the XBMC “boop” as the main menu changes with my clicks.

Another point: When I hit the reset button on my HTPC, the PC reboots and I can SEE AND HEAR Windows rebooting on the TV, but once the PC is about booted up, the video disappears!
Is it the Denon? Is it the new TV? Remember, this all worked fine with the old TV.

Should I return this TV to Costco and get another of the same (my particular unit defective)? Or should I get a different brand/model altogether? And what would THAT be. I've paid a bit over $3,700 for this, so I don't want to go much higher. And I'd like to stay close to 65", if possible.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks
post #123 of 131 Old 05-25-2014, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Why don't you remove the Denon receiver out of the equation to determine if it's the receiver or the TV that's the problem? Connect your blu-ry and HTPC directly to your TV.
post #124 of 131 Old 05-25-2014, 06:58 PM

Liked: 14
Yes, thanks. I tried connecting direct from sources to the tv. HTPC, no go. Cable box, yes. Blu-ray, in and out.
Found the problem though...

I had the HTPC screen res. set to 3840x2160 (recommended by Windows). Why it said that? I think it saw, through HDMI, that the new 4k tv was hooked up (through my Denon AVR).
I switched screen res to 1920x1080. Boom, fixed! HTPC output looks great AND blu-ray output is now rock solid. Cable signal still rock solid, looks great.
The last issue was to get the TV smart hub apps (Netflix, youtube, etc.) able to send the audio BACK to the Denon AVR via the HDMI ARC connection, othewise I would not have sound using those apps (tv speakers are OFF).
There is a menu setting for audio output on the tv setup that must be set to 'Receiver', but that choice was disabled. Found out I had to set 'HDMI Control' to 'ON'. It was off.
Now, everything is good to go.
post #125 of 131 Old 06-07-2014, 09:57 AM

I need some expert advice guys. I was really keen to upgrade my Sony 42" HD TV (it's about 3 years old) to a Samsung HU7500 55" UHD TV in time for the world cup. I'd (almost) convinced the wife to spend £2k, so I went down to John Lewis in Cheadle to check it out.

My primary interest was in the upscaled pictures, on the basis that the vast majority of what I would be watching would be from non-4k sources. From posts on this forum I got the impression that it was going to be pretty amazing, and I was convinced I would end up buying the TV there and then.

Anyway I asked the sales guy to set up a comparison of a normal HD channel displayed on a 55" Samsung HD TV (not sure exactly which model) vrs the same channel upscaled to 4k on the HU7500. To be honest the picture was ok, but we all agreed (including a Samsung rep who was hanging around as well), that the picture on the Samsung 55" HD TV was better than the upscaled image on the HU7500. We deduced that there was no point in buying the TV since 95% of the content I'll end up watching (in the short term) was going to be HD or SD and if the picture was not quite as good as a HD TV, I may as well wait until there was more 4k content available.

The colours on the upscaled image was not as rich as the HD TV, and there was no perceived difference in detail - I was told that the best I could hope for is the upscaled picture being no worse than the HD picture on a normal HD TV. That's not much of an achievement if 95% of the content I am going to be watching is going to be (at best) no worse than my last TV is it!

Now I have to say I was truly disappointed that the test didn't provide the result I was expecting (or hoping to be honest), and based on all the reviews I had read, I just can't believe it was a true test - something must have been set up incorrectly, or am I missing something? The Samsung sales guy did highlight that the 8500 series had far more advanced colour technology (blacks etc), and I can only take his word for that. Perhaps I need to be thinking about getting a HU8500 rather than the HU7500?

Clearly no one can comment specifically on the test I observed in JL, but based on those that now own this TV, should I be expecting to be amazed by the upscaled HD pictures? Is an upscaled HD picture being "no worse" than on a normal HD TV, the best I can expect?
post #126 of 131 Old 06-07-2014, 08:00 PM

I can put it this way.
I have had my 55HU8550 for 3 weeks now. The picture has improved over the 3 weeks, as it seems to settled in. I have made configs so it looks good to me.

The feeling I have with the picture is how impressed I am with it over my LCD HD TV. It's the same feeling I had when I purchased my first HD TV compared to the CRT it replaced. That is how much better the picture is compared to my HD set I replaced. Worth every penny so far wink.gif
post #127 of 131 Old 06-09-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by billinghamn View Post

I need some expert advice guys. I was really keen to upgrade my Sony 42" HD TV (it's about 3 years old) to a Samsung HU7500 55" UHD TV in time for the world cup. I'd (almost) convinced the wife to spend £2k, so I went down to John Lewis in Cheadle to check it out.

My primary interest was in the upscaled pictures, on the basis that the vast majority of what I would be watching would be from non-4k sources. From posts on this forum I got the impression that it was going to be pretty amazing, and I was convinced I would end up buying the TV there and then.

Anyway I asked the sales guy to set up a comparison of a normal HD channel displayed on a 55" Samsung HD TV (not sure exactly which model) vrs the same channel upscaled to 4k on the HU7500. To be honest the picture was ok, but we all agreed (including a Samsung rep who was hanging around as well), that the picture on the Samsung 55" HD TV was better than the upscaled image on the HU7500. We deduced that there was no point in buying the TV since 95% of the content I'll end up watching (in the short term) was going to be HD or SD and if the picture was not quite as good as a HD TV, I may as well wait until there was more 4k content available.

The colours on the upscaled image was not as rich as the HD TV, and there was no perceived difference in detail - I was told that the best I could hope for is the upscaled picture being no worse than the HD picture on a normal HD TV. That's not much of an achievement if 95% of the content I am going to be watching is going to be (at best) no worse than my last TV is it!

Now I have to say I was truly disappointed that the test didn't provide the result I was expecting (or hoping to be honest), and based on all the reviews I had read, I just can't believe it was a true test - something must have been set up incorrectly, or am I missing something? The Samsung sales guy did highlight that the 8500 series had far more advanced colour technology (blacks etc), and I can only take his word for that. Perhaps I need to be thinking about getting a HU8500 rather than the HU7500?

Clearly no one can comment specifically on the test I observed in JL, but based on those that now own this TV, should I be expecting to be amazed by the upscaled HD pictures? Is an upscaled HD picture being "no worse" than on a normal HD TV, the best I can expect?
Sir,
Right now with what's available for 4k. It's going to be real hard for you to tell the difference. The other strike is, in a 55" I don't know if you will ever be able to tell the difference. I will tend to agree since most of the stuff we watch that is critical for comparision is 1080P. The 4k sets have to a little more conversion with 1080p than a native 1080p set would have to do.
The you have the investing in the future clause to all this and it make's the selection quite difficult.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #128 of 131 Old 06-09-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by billinghamn View Post

To be honest the picture was ok, but we all agreed (including a Samsung rep who was hanging around as well), that the picture on the Samsung 55" HD TV was better than the upscaled image on the HU7500.
I've been watching 1080i from satellite on an HU8550 for several days, and the resolution is great. Colors and contrast, I'm not sure about yet -- maybe not quite as good as the plasma set this HU8550 replaces. Professional reviews have also said the the HU8550 does good upscaling. So, for the resolution issue only, I'd suspect there was some setup problem with the set you compared. (But I'm not saying the HU8550's picture for 1080 sources is better -- just that the resolution is probably better.)

Greg Lee
post #129 of 131 Old 06-14-2014, 09:08 AM

Hi all,
I have the HU7500 and I have a strange problem, so I hope you can help.
- Most of the time when the TV starts I have very weak sound, as if some of the speakers are off.
Setting is correct (internal speakers), and also the built-in audio test sounds bad.
- But when I switch the TV off, wait 10 secs and then turn it back on everything is normal and OK.

Has anyone seen/heard this problem and knows how to fix it (SW version 1122.4)

TIA
Andre
post #130 of 131 Old 07-01-2014, 08:35 PM

Liked: 0
I'm also concerned about input lag on the hu8550. It would be a shame if my xbox one didn't play smoothly. Should I side with better picture quality over lag rate? I'm kinda on the fence.
post #131 of 131 Old 07-18-2014, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This thread looks rather dead. But just in case some one stumbles upon it who would like to see some more pics of the this set I wanted to post some.
All of them except the last one are from youtube through ps3. You tube looks great but I can only imagine how much better it would look with native 4K. The last pick is for from Skyfall on Netflix. The tv does a great job upscaling. Some titles do look like blue ray quality. It is the first thing I noticed after replacing my last set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2592.jpg (353.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2593.jpg (304.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2594.jpg (404.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2596.jpg (315.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2598.jpg (821.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2609.jpg (838.1 KB, 8 views)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page