Official Owners thread Samsung Flat Panel 4K UNxxHU8550 UExxHU7500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 143 Old 04-05-2014, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Didn't see anyone started it yet. So what have you watched? I'm playing Second Son.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 143 Old 04-05-2014, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

post #3 of 143 Old 04-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I'm still considering the purchase. It's between this and the 7150
ANEWMadrid likes this.

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

post #4 of 143 Old 04-05-2014, 07:50 PM

Liked: 10
Thank you for starting this thread. I have not watched anything yet. Earlier today I ordered the 55" on Amazon.com. I had to pre-order it as Amazon says that this model will not be released until April 6. After placing the order I was advised by Amazon that I would receive a phone call from the carrier to set up a delivery date/time. So at this point I have no idea when Amazon will be shipping (2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months?). I live in a small town on the central Oregon coast, so Amazon was the only viable option. Cheers.
post #5 of 143 Old 04-05-2014, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMcKeel View Post

Thank you for starting this thread. I have not watched anything yet. Earlier today I ordered the 55" on Amazon.com. I had to pre-order it as Amazon says that this model will not be released until April 6. After placing the order I was advised by Amazon that I would receive a phone call from the carrier to set up a delivery date/time. So at this point I have no idea when Amazon will be shipping (2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months?). I live in a small town on the central Oregon coast, so Amazon was the only viable option. Cheers.

Yeah Amazon is fast. I had preorder there but walked into Bestbuy and they had it so I just got it there. You will dig the PQ.
post #6 of 143 Old 04-05-2014, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
You are playing PS4? What is the input lag like!!???? Any FPS games you can try?
post #7 of 143 Old 04-05-2014, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonz5000 View Post

You are playing PS4? What is the input lag like!!???? Any FPS games you can try?
I dont notice any input lag. I only have two games Tombraider and Second Son and both look and play great. I'm not a super gamer by any means but I dont notice any lag in those two.
post #8 of 143 Old 04-06-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is that the 4K model?
post #9 of 143 Old 04-06-2014, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

Is the the 4K model?

Huh?

Theater set-up:  

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

post #10 of 143 Old 04-06-2014, 10:27 PM

How much soap opera effect are you seeing on the 8550?

Is the setting called Auto Motion Plus that you would want to disable to minimize SOE by disabling motion smoothing?

I've ordered the 8550, but coming from plasma where there is no SOE, and seeing SOE on a friend's TV, this is one of my biggest concerns.
post #11 of 143 Old 04-07-2014, 02:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

The HU8500 has 62ms of input lag in game mode, so expect the same for the HU8550.
post #12 of 143 Old 04-07-2014, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL17 View Post

How much soap opera effect are you seeing on the 8550?

Is the setting called Auto Motion Plus that you would want to disable to minimize SOE by disabling motion smoothing?

I've ordered the 8550, but coming from plasma where there is no SOE, and seeing SOE on a friend's TV, this is one of my biggest concerns.

You can turn off Auto motion Plus or fully manipulate it in custom mode. Blur, Judder and Led Clear Motion.
post #13 of 143 Old 04-07-2014, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I plugged in the PS3 and played Crysis3 in 3D and it was bad. First the 3D was so off it made me cross eyed. I diAled that in. And I could notice a little lag. Put it in game mode and was fine after that. I dont know if I just psyched myself out expecting to see delay or its the way the motion control handled the action. But turning on game mode definitely helped. Side.note pS4 looks so good. However the Last of us looked pretty cool on the 8550.
post #14 of 143 Old 04-07-2014, 08:31 AM

Does this model have plans for the kinect box to evolve or no? I'm trying to corral a f9000 cheap and know it has the box
post #15 of 143 Old 04-07-2014, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballa765 View Post

Does this model have plans for the kinect box to evolve or no? I'm trying to corral a f9000 cheap and know it has the box

You can add the One Connect Box for the 2015 + years . As for this year it has the the HDMI 2.0, USB, One Connect proprietary and all other inputs on back with HEVC, H.265 built in.
post #16 of 143 Old 04-07-2014, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 51
What do the viewing angles look like? Getting ready to pull the trigger!

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ------------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
Denon X4000 Audio Video Receiver
B&W 602 S3 & B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
post #17 of 143 Old 04-07-2014, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post

What do the viewing angles look like? Getting ready to pull the trigger!

I will snap a couple pix and post in a bit.
post #18 of 143 Old 04-07-2014, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Taking with Galaxy Note Pro #nofilter
post #19 of 143 Old 04-07-2014, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANEWMadrid View Post

Taking with Galaxy Note Pro #nofilter

What's your thoughts? That seems to look very good at such a wide angle. I have a couch in the center about 9 foot from where the tv will be and love seat on the side wall.

Is the curved 9000 supposed to be better or worse with the viewing angle?

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ------------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
Denon X4000 Audio Video Receiver
B&W 602 S3 & B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
post #20 of 143 Old 04-07-2014, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

The curve is pretty cool. I saw both, just seemed like the 9000 had more reflection the depth seemed more prevalent on the 9000. For my money the 8550 was a better buy however the 9000 has a cool factor to it. And people say the curve isn't that much. It is and it's obvious. One thing I don't like is only way to use voice command u have to use the remote, my 7550 had it built in and used it all the time. The multi view is cool, kinda like total recall (the newer one) also I like the fact that u don't need the one connect box but can wait til next year if standards change.
post #21 of 143 Old 04-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

I know it has been asked before but I thought I'd ask again... how is the response time on this set?  Does it do well with FPS games?  

Theater set-up:  

post #22 of 143 Old 04-08-2014, 11:27 PM

Liked: 11

Well I took the plunge and picked up the UN55HU8550 from Best Buy tonight.  However after getting it unpacked and plugging everything in and after some basic calibrations, I am having my doubts about the quality of this TV.  I noticed a significant amount of backlight bleeding around the edges and also a halo right in the middle of the screen.  When I put in Baraka (which to me has always been my best looking blu-ray) from the opening credits the screen is black, however the TV started flashing between blackblack (as in no image) and the screen showing some backlight bleeding.  I found this immediately disturbing and my heart sank.  I played around with several settings including making sure the backlight was way down, along with contrast and brightness, but the strobing was still there, along with the backlight/halo.

Coming from a 46 inch Samsung that I bought in 2008, I never had this significant of an issue.  I am wondering now if I am dealing with a bad set.  Nonetheless I find this completely unacceptable and I plan to return the TV.  Now I am debating if its even worth it and should I just go for a full refund.  The reason I went for UHD, was that I wanted a larger screen and I had the money.  However, now I am having some serious buyer's remorse.

Anyone else with a HU8550 notice anything peculiar during black images or particular issue with bleeding?

Thanks,

blade

post #23 of 143 Old 04-09-2014, 07:21 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by blademeister View Post

Well I took the plunge and picked up the UN55HU8550 from Best Buy tonight.  However after getting it unpacked and plugging everything in and after some basic calibrations, I am having my doubts about the quality of this TV.  I noticed a significant amount of backlight bleeding around the edges and also a halo right in the middle of the screen.  When I put in Baraka (which to me has always been my best looking blu-ray) from the opening credits the screen is black, however the TV started flashing between blackblack (as in no image) and the screen showing some backlight bleeding.  I found this immediately disturbing and my heart sank.  I played around with several settings including making sure the backlight was way down, along with contrast and brightness, but the strobing was still there, along with the backlight/halo.

Coming from a 46 inch Samsung that I bought in 2008, I never had this significant of an issue.  I am wondering now if I am dealing with a bad set.  Nonetheless I find this completely unacceptable and I plan to return the TV.  Now I am debating if its even worth it and should I just go for a full refund.  The reason I went for UHD, was that I wanted a larger screen and I had the money.  However, now I am having some serious buyer's remorse.

Anyone else with a HU8550 notice anything peculiar during black images or particular issue with bleeding?

Thanks,
blade

I really hate to chime in because everyone has there own opinion, and tend to want to argue, but I am giving you mine so take it for what its worth. I owned the F9000, last years 4k set; there was blooming and black light bleeding with the set on certain settings. I want to say Dymanic Contrast and high back light settings. That being said, I was at best buy checking out the HU9000 as I'm still waiting for my HU9000 to arrive... and did some tests to see if I could reproduce the same issues with blooming and bleeding, with limited time, I could not it appears they fixed that in HU9000 series. If you read about the limitations of the HU8550 you will notice software only edge light dimming, but like I said the F9000 has both and the bleeding and blooming occurs depending on settings. I do not have the correct settings for HU8550 but before you return it, check that those settings are set correctly to reduce bleeding. However it is ALOT of money if you are not completely happy. Side note if you think the the hu8550 is bad the Sony XBR 850a bled through the whole screen at high black light levels. IMO there is nothing right now out there 2014 that does native 4k, so if you return it look at the hu9000 or wait for another brand and check reviews. It sucks I know to wait..... :-)
post #24 of 143 Old 04-09-2014, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks,
blade

Bummer. My set doesn't bleed and I have that baraka bluray. I put dynamic contrast on low and the Back light 10 contrast 96 picture mode standard, black tone:Darker Maybe use the pixel flipper on the WOW discuss for awhile. Let it just ride for awhile.
post #25 of 143 Old 04-09-2014, 09:25 AM

Liked: 11

Thanks ANEW, I was most curious about your feedback as I saw in your initial post that you had shot of the Baraka blu-ray.  To confirm you are not seeing any uniformity issues?  No issues from the opening credits of Baraka?  It’s quite apparent with the bleeding on this set in the corners but up the right side and a lovely halo(bloom) right in the middle part of the screen.  Then that disturbing issue of when the screen is flashing/strobing during dark screen credits (not sure how to describe it).

I ended up boxing it back up late last night (going on 4 hours of sleep).  Believe me I played with multiple settings, but to no avail.  I couldn’t justify just living with it on an item so costly.  Perhaps it’s the edge-lit software based local dimming, as aborges pointed out, that is not what’s it should be.  I hooked my old Samsung back up (4671f), and re-watched Baraka and of course no uniformity or screen freakout issues.

I am about to call Best Buy and discuss my options.

post #26 of 143 Old 04-09-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks ANEW, I was most curious about your feedback as I saw in your initial post that you had shot of the Baraka blu-ray.  To confirm you are not seeing any uniformity issues?  No issues from the opening credits of Baraka?  It’s quite apparent with the bleeding on this set in the corners but up the right side and a lovely halo(bloom) right in the middle part of the screen.  Then that disturbing issue of when the screen is flashing/strobing during dark screen credits (not sure how to describe it).

I ended up boxing it back up late last night (going on 4 hours of sleep).  Believe me I played with multiple settings, but to no avail.  I couldn’t justify just living with it on an item so costly.  Perhaps it’s the edge-lit software based local dimming, as aborges pointed out, that is not what’s it should be.  I hooked my old Samsung back up (4671f), and re-watched Baraka and of course no uniformity or screen freakout issues.

I am about to call Best Buy and discuss my options.

I think it is the Software based dimming. I see what u mean. I think it freaks the system out. I watched 12 years and one scene it couldnt figure out the darkness. It got all choppy. Sorry didnt work out for you. That Toshiba that is coming out looks really great as well.
post #27 of 143 Old 04-10-2014, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 32
initially was considering the H8000 1080p set then I saw this at best buy and at least with the demo material - it looked really excellent... Was also considering last years F8000 (really liked its appearance). What I don't get is on amazon the H8550 says it has local dimming with precision black and UHD micro dimming - same description for the H9000.. so is this incorrect, the H8550 does not have true local dimming? If thats the case seems like a deal breaker, but the 65 H9000 is just too expensive right now ($4k would be my highest threshold for a new set and thats $5k)..

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amplifier // Kef LS50 Speakers // Energy EW8 Subwoofer
Video: Samsung 65in HU9000 UHD TV // Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray player // Apple TV (3G)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
Headphones: Bose AE2W // Klipsch Image x10
post #28 of 143 Old 04-10-2014, 07:24 PM

What is the hu7500 is it a new model? What model does it replace and will it support one kinect. I'm hoping for a sale on the f9000 and yo my knowledge the 8550 replaces the 9000 and is notvcurved true?
post #29 of 143 Old 04-10-2014, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 32
edit. duplicate message..

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amplifier // Kef LS50 Speakers // Energy EW8 Subwoofer
Video: Samsung 65in HU9000 UHD TV // Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray player // Apple TV (3G)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
Headphones: Bose AE2W // Klipsch Image x10
post #30 of 143 Old 04-11-2014, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Got an update this evening. Went fast don't know what it did.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page