Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2243 Old 05-11-2014, 04:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinuz View Post

Can you explain some more? What is so different, cause others seem not so enthousiatic as you cool.gif
There are some obvious technical improvements between the two that would do this... For a start, the F9000 doesn't support H.265 (unless you upgrade the one connect box) and so any 4k video stream to the F9000 would be hit by bandwidth issues no matter how big a pipe you have - this would result in dropped packets and poor image quality. So long as you have more than 15 Mbps then H.265 will be very high quality, although still not as high as having a local professionally mastered copy (eg. on a hard drive). I can see high quality 4k streaming from Netflix on my ADSL connection (6.6 Mbps)... Much more detailed than any HD stream, but also clearly not as good as it could be. The only real issue is that the Netflix app in the HU9000 doesn't output DD5.1... I'm assuming that this will be fixed sometime in the future, although I haven't seen any announcements.
gcovers likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2243 Old 05-11-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3010 View Post

No, I'm saying that those distances are clearly stated as MINIMUM distances from the screen and not "sweet spot" distances. The viewing angle should be 40 degrees OR LESS. Whilst I agree it takes all sorts, even your mates would think you were mad if you permanently rearranged your cinema room so you could sit 6 feet away from a 60" screen. In addition, if you are only six feet away then anyone not sat dead centre of the screen would have a really lousy viewing experience.
I love a big TV and all, but that is close viewing distance for a 60" TV........You will not miss 4K like that wink.gif
post #453 of 2243 Old 05-11-2014, 10:34 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

There are some obvious technical improvements between the two that would do this... For a start, the F9000 doesn't support H.265 (unless you upgrade the one connect box) and so any 4k video stream to the F9000 would be hit by bandwidth issues no matter how big a pipe you have - this would result in dropped packets and poor image quality. So long as you have more than 15 Mbps then H.265 will be very high quality, although still not as high as having a local professionally mastered copy (eg. on a hard drive). I can see high quality 4k streaming from Netflix on my ADSL connection (6.6 Mbps)... Much more detailed than any HD stream, but also clearly not as good as it could be. The only real issue is that the Netflix app in the HU9000 doesn't output DD5.1... I'm assuming that this will be fixed sometime in the future, although I haven't seen any announcements.

thats in m.o. a no brainer, get a new box, and your good to go. He was talking about PQ I believe, so hope he responds. 

post #454 of 2243 Old 05-11-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:

thats in m.o. a no brainer, get a new box, and your good to go. He was talking about PQ I believe, so hope he responds. 
PQ is affected BECAUSE the F9000 doesn't support H.265, and so H.264 will be used and picture information will be lost because no one has a fast enough connection to send 4k using H.264. The new box IS the HU9000 :-)
post #455 of 2243 Old 05-11-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:

PQ is affected BECAUSE the F9000 doesn't support H.265, and so H.264 will be used and picture information will be lost because no one has a fast enough connection to send 4k using H.264. The new box IS the HU9000 :-)

that is just a little part of the equation. Lack of support only matters on those h.265 files, every other thing should be them same, or not?! Thats what I wanna know, are the blacks better? is the color better? nicer uniformity? 

post #456 of 2243 Old 05-11-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:

that is just a little part of the equation. Lack of support only matters on those h.265 files, every other thing should be them same, or not?! Thats what I wanna know, are the blacks better? is the color better? nicer uniformity? 
Oh... I thought you were talking about NetFlix PQ... It seems everyone with experience of the F9000 on this thread is saying the HU9000 is much better in all these things you mention, these differences wold not depend on the source.
post #457 of 2243 Old 05-11-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:

Oh... I thought you were talking about NetFlix PQ... It seems everyone with experience of the F9000 on this thread is saying the HU9000 is much better in all these things you mention, these differences wold not depend on the source.

hope not, some review state that the old f9000 with the new connect box will be on par with the 2014 models, cause the reviewer stater he misses really improvement/innovation in the 2014 model. 

But what the hack, have no money for a new 2014 model...

post #458 of 2243 Old 05-11-2014, 12:13 PM

Liked: 10
Had my hu9000 55" for a week now and absolutely love it. But now im tempted to return it (since im still in my 30day period) and get the 65". I live in a 1 br apartment and my viewing distance is about 8.5/9ft away. I also have the tv setup in a corner. Is spending the extra grand and getting the 65" over-kill for my living situation? I also have my patio double doors behind and to the right of my seat and shines a bit on the screen on certain times of the day. Thanks

**edit** The picture doesnt do very well to show the size compared to anything in the room. It's a lot bigger in person then the picture shows lol

post #459 of 2243 Old 05-11-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmtieken View Post

Had my hu9000 55" for a week now and absolutely love it. But now im tempted to return it (since im still in my 30day period) and get the 65". I live in a 1 br apartment and my viewing distance is about 8.5/9ft away. I also have the tv setup in a corner. Is spending the extra grand and getting the 65" over-kill for my living situation? I also have my patio double doors behind and to the right of my seat and shines a bit on the screen on certain times of the day. Thanks

**edit** The picture doesnt do very well to show the size compared to anything in the room. It's a lot bigger in person then the picture shows lol

Im currently at about 11 ft away for a 65 and I wish I could afford a larger set. At 9 ft I would go with the 65in you won't regret it even at the extra 1k.

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amplifier // Kef LS50 Speakers // Energy EW8 Subwoofer
Video: Samsung 65in HU9000 UHD TV // Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray player // Apple TV (3G)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
Headphones: Bose AE2W // Klipsch Image x10
post #460 of 2243 Old 05-11-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:

hope not, some review state that the old f9000 with the new connect box will be on par with the 2014 models, cause the reviewer stater he misses really improvement/innovation in the 2014 model. 
But what the hack, have no money for a new 2014 model...
Well... At least we all now know that you mean the F9000 with 2014 One Connect box... That also wasn't particularly clear from your original post. I'm not sure you'll find anyone in this thread (for HU9000 Owners) who have experience of BOTH the 2014 One Connect box on an F9000 AND an HU9000 (very few will buy the upgrade and then scrap it for the new model)... Perhaps Cleveland Plasma?
post #461 of 2243 Old 05-11-2014, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 32
For some reason my motion control and voice commands no longer work, anyone else have this issue? can't run diagnostics either as they are greyed out and when clicked says "function not available"

(camera is up - so its not that)

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amplifier // Kef LS50 Speakers // Energy EW8 Subwoofer
Video: Samsung 65in HU9000 UHD TV // Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray player // Apple TV (3G)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
Headphones: Bose AE2W // Klipsch Image x10
post #462 of 2243 Old 05-11-2014, 08:20 PM

I will be building a new house next year, and I have a few questions that hopefully someone might be able to help with.  I know years ago that Plasmas didn't always fair too well at higher elevations.  Is this an issue with the LCD tvs?  I will be building at around 7300 feet above sea level.  Next question has more to do with pricing.  I'm interested in the 78 inch version, but the price is pretty astronomical.  What are the chances I'm going to be able to purchase this same model in about 13 months from now.  I'm hoping by that time the price has dropped, but is there a chance that this model will be entirely replaced by whatever they announce next winter?  Thanks for any insight you might have.

post #463 of 2243 Old 05-11-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:

Can you explain some more? What is so different, cause others seem not so enthousiatic as you cool.gif

Hmm, where to start...

1. The curve of the screen not only provides more depth to the image, but actually increased the angle of view for this TV. I can even watch it from my dining table which is about a 45 degree off center.
2. The colours look more vibrant.
3. The black levels are amazing. They are not leaps and bounds better than the f9000, but I do find that it's a noticeable difference.
4. The fact that the new One Connect box offers the HDMI 2.0 as well as USB 3.0 support is good. I know this will be available on the new One Connect for for the f9000, but in my case, I was able to return the f9000, and the cost difference for me between the f9000 and the hu9000 was only $600 Canadian. Therefore, it was well worth the upgrade.
5. I find the up-scaling of lower resolution content to be handled much better on the hu9000. Even regular netflix looks amazing.

You would truly need to use an f9000 and hu9000 to really tell the differences. They are both amazing TV's. The f9000 was the first generation.

Hope that sheds more light for you. smile.gif

Regards,

Yanki
post #464 of 2243 Old 05-11-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuksel View Post

Hmm, where to start...

1. The curve of the screen not only provides more depth to the image, but actually increased the angle of view for this TV. I can even watch it from my dining table which is about a 45 degree off center.
2. The colours look more vibrant.
3. The black levels are amazing. They are not leaps and bounds better than the f9000, but I do find that it's a noticeable difference.
4. The fact that the new One Connect box offers the HDMI 2.0 as well as USB 3.0 support is good. I know this will be available on the new One Connect for for the f9000, but in my case, I was able to return the f9000, and the cost difference for me between the f9000 and the hu9000 was only $600 Canadian. Therefore, it was well worth the upgrade.
5. I find the up-scaling of lower resolution content to be handled much better on the hu9000. Even regular netflix looks amazing.

You would truly need to use an f9000 and hu9000 to really tell the differences. They are both amazing TV's. The f9000 was the first generation.

Hope that sheds more light for you. smile.gif

Regards,

Yanki

Thxs for the clearifying Yanki,

looks like a couple of baby steps better, but indeed as you statet you must compare head to head... 

post #465 of 2243 Old 05-11-2014, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post

I will be building a new house next year, and I have a few questions that hopefully someone might be able to help with.  I know years ago that Plasmas didn't always fair too well at higher elevations.  Is this an issue with the LCD tvs?  I will be building at around 7300 feet above sea level.  Next question has more to do with pricing.  I'm interested in the 78 inch version, but the price is pretty astronomical.  What are the chances I'm going to be able to purchase this same model in about 13 months from now.  I'm hoping by that time the price has dropped, but is there a chance that this model will be entirely replaced by whatever they announce next winter?  Thanks for any insight you might have.

I'd contact the manufacturer find out what the spec is for altitude, I'm guessing that it's 10,000 ft. as most of the electronic components will be specified to that altitude (at least).  The only problem I can think of is the glass since I'm guessing these panels are made at sea level (there is a reason why glass makers in the US prefer to make their window glass at higher altitudes, but the glass on LCD's may well be formulated to handle this).  For what it's worth there is no problem at 6000'.  When I lived at 7100' I never had a problem but that was CRT at 19" :).  Just don't let it sit outsize in freezing weather (LCD's don't like cold).

Note apple thunderbolt display's are rated to 10,000'.

post #466 of 2243 Old 05-12-2014, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Netflix Broadcasting 60 fps streams along with 10-bit color  4K

But how Samsung HU9000 with 8 BIT Panel  broadcast  10 bit color?

the company has stated that it will eventually support 60 fps streams along with 10-bit color."

http://hdguru.com/4k-content-a-status-report/

post #467 of 2243 Old 05-12-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You might be able to find a left over in 13 Months, maybe... Prices will be lower then for sure, I know of no issues with elevations for LED's and OLED's For that matter.......
post #468 of 2243 Old 05-12-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I found something very disturbing about this set, especially regarding the one connect box. Apparently, if you have external sources (bluray, ps4, cable) connected via HDMI and then use the optical out from the one connect box to your receiver, you're out of luck!! You will only get out 2 channel sound!!

Can anyone confirm this? This is a very bad design, you either have to use the ARC function and therefore have a receiver that can support this or connect each individual sources to your receiver via optical or coaxial!! This is a big step backward if this is indeed the case.....

Help.

mad.gif
post #469 of 2243 Old 05-12-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tontondavid View Post

I found something very disturbing about this set, especially regarding the one connect box. Apparently, if you have external sources (bluray, ps4, cable) connected via HDMI and then use the optical out from the one connect box to your receiver, you're out of luck!! You will only get out 2 channel sound!!

Can anyone confirm this? This is a very bad design, you either have to use the ARC function and therefore have a receiver that can support this or connect each individual sources to your receiver via optical or coaxial!! This is a big step backward if this is indeed the case.....

Help.

mad.gif

Yep. Optical out only supports two channel. I know its stupid. You need to use HDMI ARC if you want DD 5.1.

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ------------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
Denon X4000 Audio Video Receiver
B&W 602 S3 & B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
post #470 of 2243 Old 05-12-2014, 11:43 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Help.

mad.gif

First of all, why don't you connect HDMI direct from component to receiver, use "pass through" (or another named mode that doesn't process the video) from receiver to HU9000? That way you get the best audio (including lossless codecs for blu rays--assumes your receiver processes Dolby True HD and DTS MA). If your receiver won't "pass through" 3D you can send that direct to the one connect. I use the OPPO 103D and send video to the one connect and audio to the receiver.

Second, my F9000 will output DD or DTS (5.1) from the display to the receiver via optical digital (that's what I use for the Smart Hub Netflix app). It just won't work for your DD plus (which requires ARC and isn't available on my set). I would be very surprised if it can't be made to work on the UH9000. Guess I'll find out for sure when I get the new one connect.
post #471 of 2243 Old 05-12-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post

Yep. Optical out only supports two channel. I know its stupid. You need to use HDMI ARC if you want DD 5.1.

That's unbelievable....I guess it pushes people to upgrade their receiver which is a shame for this price of a TV!

Very disappointed.

mad.gif

To rlb:

Unfortunately, my receiver is too old and does not have any HDMI inputs (it's a Krell) and therefore, I cannot use the ARC function. I understand that your F9000 will do what I want mine to do but I was told by Crutchfield that because of the one connect box (which apparently Samsung was not "authorized" to pass digital signal from HDMI to optical) proprietary design, they decided to only output 2.0 from the optical out. The F9000 doesn't use a one connect box right?
post #472 of 2243 Old 05-12-2014, 08:10 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

That's unbelievable....I guess it pushes people to upgrade their receiver which is a shame for this price of a TV!

Very disappointed.

mad.gif

To rlb:

Unfortunately, my receiver is too old and does not have any HDMI inputs (it's a Krell) and therefore, I cannot use the ARC function. I understand that your F9000 will do what I want mine to do but I was told by Crutchfield that because of the one connect box (which apparently Samsung was not "authorized" to pass digital signal from HDMI to optical) proprietary design, they decided to only output 2.0 from the optical out. The F9000 doesn't use a one connect box right?

It does use a one connect box and passes 5.1 out via optical digital. That's what I use and my pre processor (I use separates vice a receiver) shows that it's getting 5.1 (I watched a Netflix movie tonight). I'll be getting the new one connect box when it's released in a month and will be very disappointed if I lose the optical digital 5.1. I prefer optical digital to HDMI ARC because it works right. Only advantage of ARC is that it will pass DD plus; but optical digital is limited to DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1.
post #473 of 2243 Old 05-12-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:

post #474 of 2243 Old 05-12-2014, 08:34 PM

8k is a lot but I'm in the same boat, unless you have connection to beatbuy employee. My friend works there so I'm waiting tell the 78" drop and he going to buy it for me. Best buy employee get it at big discount. That's the only reason I'm getting the 78", I would not drop 8k plus tax on it. Too high for my budget.
post #475 of 2243 Old 05-12-2014, 08:37 PM

I seen the 65" at best buy but didn't get the chance to look from the angle. How bad is the distortion from viewing from the angle. I herd it's pretty bad but I usually sit straight at the TV so maybe I should be on the safe side? I mean who watch TV from the angle anyways right?
post #476 of 2243 Old 05-13-2014, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ddlight View Post

I seen the 65" at best buy but didn't get the chance to look from the angle. How bad is the distortion from viewing from the angle. I herd it's pretty bad but I usually sit straight at the TV so maybe I should be on the safe side? I mean who watch TV from the angle anyways right?

The further the angle from center the more contrast you lose. (picture washout) That being said the HU9000 seems to be pretty good to around 20 degrees. After that things begin the washout process.

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ------------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
Denon X4000 Audio Video Receiver
B&W 602 S3 & B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
post #477 of 2243 Old 05-13-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

It does use a one connect box and passes 5.1 out via optical digital. That's what I use and my pre processor (I use separates vice a receiver) shows that it's getting 5.1 (I watched a Netflix movie tonight). I'll be getting the new one connect box when it's released in a month and will be very disappointed if I lose the optical digital 5.1. I prefer optical digital to HDMI ARC because it works right. Only advantage of ARC is that it will pass DD plus; but optical digital is limited to DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1.

So I do get 5.1 from built-in apps like Netflix but anything else connected as HDMI, it won't pass 5.1 or DTS to the optical output. It is actually written very clearly on the crutchfield website under the details tab!

mad.gif
post #478 of 2243 Old 05-13-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post

The further the angle from center the more contrast you lose. (picture washout) That being said the HU9000 seems to be pretty good to around 20 degrees. After that things begin the washout process.
post #479 of 2243 Old 05-13-2014, 09:45 AM

So your saying it just contrast that I'm loosing not image stretching from the angle? Cause I thought I read something on here saying the image stretch from a certain angle. It's not a deal breaker for me I just wanted to know if that the case with the curved screen.
post #480 of 2243 Old 05-13-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page