Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2140 Old 06-09-2014, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post

The movie mode does not look right to you because your not used to an accurately calibrated picture. That is ok if you like it that way. Movie mode is there to produce the picture with color accuracy set to the REC 709 standard. This way you see the movie/picture the way the director shot it.
Believe me, when I had my first plasma set over a decade ago calibrated I hated it at first but I wanted my screen to be accurate. Its your TV you can set the picture anyway you want but if you would get it calibrated expect it to look more like the movie mode setting. I was so used to the movie mode setting that this set hurt my eyes right out of the box on the movie mode setting with the backlight at default. My room is on the dim side so my backlight after calibration is 12 which produces 32FL of luminance. Default out of the box on movie mode was like 48FL eek.gif which is very high even for a well lit room.
lol no thanks! The directors can keep their drab washed out colors and yellow "whites" ! Everything looks way too muted, I don't know how people can say it's an accurate color representation. I was trying to watch the Giants game on Friday and they were wearing their orange jerseys but on the tv in movie mode they looked all faded more like Amber. I actually have one of those orange Jerseys and can post a comparison pic. Also, the lights at the Stadium are bright enough to simulate a day game during the night. But in movie mode it looks yellowy. Whites should look white, not whitish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2140 Old 06-09-2014, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post

I am going to have a technician look at my TV too.  I have only had my new set for a little over a week, and I found that I have awful backlight bleed coming from 2 bottom corners of the set.  If you examine where the backlight bleed is occuring, it's exactly where screws are located.  Reading into it a bit, it seems this can occur if the screws are over-torqued.

So I am going to see if the technicians can fix this by simply loosening the screws a bit.  I'd do it myself, but the bezel makes it impossible to get a screw driver in there, and I don't want to disassemble the unit when I paid all this money.  

I wonder if my lower left clouding/light problem is from a screw. Technician is coming Wednesday.

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ------------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
Denon X4000 Audio Video Receiver
B&W 602 S3 & B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
post #723 of 2140 Old 06-09-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:

I wonder if my lower left clouding/light problem is from a screw. Technician is coming Wednesday.

Here is what it looks like:
(I posted a pic from another poster earlier in the thread, since his set had the exact issue mine does)

See the spots I circled are in the exact same location, just on opposite sides of the set.  Notice how there is a bright light that is protruding out from the bottom of the set in both locations?  If you examine that spot underneath the screen, you will see a screw located in that exact spot.

This is not just an issue with samsung sets, because I saw other avs posts about other sets having that problem.  Apparently whatever automatic fab they used wasn't calibrated or something, and it over-torqued those screws.

I can only hope my uniformity issues can be fixed by that.  I don't want to have to play the panel lottery once more, because I am happy with my set otherwise.  Maybe I'm just too easy to please??

btw, I think reviewers have mentioned uniformity is better on the 8550 (and other flat sets), and it makes sense.  It has to be much harder to lay a smooth, uniform screen when you're having to curve the material.  

post #724 of 2140 Old 06-09-2014, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
HDGuru had a good review today
post #725 of 2140 Old 06-09-2014, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriSSio View Post

lol no thanks! The directors can keep their drab washed out colors and yellow "whites" ! Everything looks way too muted, I don't know how people can say it's an accurate color representation. I was trying to watch the Giants game on Friday and they were wearing their orange jerseys but on the tv in movie mode they looked all faded more like Amber. I actually have one of those orange Jerseys and can post a comparison pic. Also, the lights at the Stadium are bright enough to simulate a day game during the night. But in movie mode it looks yellowy. Whites should look white, not whitish.

Maybe something is wrong with your set or your settings in movie mode. What are your settings? Try resetting the movie mode settings. My picture is fantastic, I even lowered the gamma to get more detail during darker scenes. My movie mode was just too bright out of the box. Colors were just fine, in fact during my calibration the colors were so spot on I didn't even change anything using the CMS function in the TV.

All set are different but what works for one does not always produce the same results for another but here are my settings after calibration.

Backlight 12

Contrast 95

Brightness 46

Sharpness 20

Color 50

Color space auto

Gamma -1

10 point white balance 10, 20 & 30% all 0
40% R 15 G 15 B 16
50% R 12 G 12 B 18
60% R 6 G 10 B 12
70, 80 & 90% all 0
Smart LED low

All picture enhancements turned off.

Sammy 4k UN65HU9000 CURVED - Calman5 Calibrated" ------------- Oppo 103D for Blu Ray & SACD & DVD-A
B&W 602 S3 & B&W HTM62 Center with Axiom QS4 surrounds ---------- SVS PB-1000 SUBWOOFER
post #726 of 2140 Old 06-09-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Here is what it looks like:

(I posted a pic from another poster earlier in the thread, since his set had the exact issue mine does)

See the spots I circled are in the exact same location, just on opposite sides of the set.  Notice how there is a bright light that is protruding out from the bottom of the set in both locations?  If you examine that spot underneath the screen, you will see a screw located in that exact spot.

This is not just an issue with samsung sets, because I saw other avs posts about other sets having that problem.  Apparently whatever automatic fab they used wasn't calibrated or something, and it over-torqued those screws.

I can only hope my uniformity issues can be fixed by that.  I don't want to have to play the panel lottery once more, because I am happy with my set otherwise.  Maybe I'm just too easy to please??

btw, I think reviewers have mentioned uniformity is better on the 8550 (and other flat sets), and it makes sense.  It has to be much harder to lay a smooth, uniform screen when you're having to curve the material.  

Good photos thanks. Mine is not like that. I have just some clouding in the lower left corner.

post #727 of 2140 Old 06-09-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:

Maybe something is wrong with your set or your settings in movie mode. What are your settings? Try resetting the movie mode settings. My picture is fantastic, I even lowered the gamma to get more detail during darker scenes. My movie mode was just too bright out of the box. Colors were just fine, in fact during my calibration the colors were so spot on I didn't even change anything using the CMS function in the TV.

All set are different but what works for one does not always produce the same results for another but here are my settings after calibration.

Backlight 12

Contrast 95

Brightness 46

Sharpness 20

Color 50

Color space auto

Gamma -1

40% R 15 G 15 B 16
50% R 12 G 12 B 18
60% R 6 G 10 B 12
70, 80 & 90% all 0
Smart LED low

i don't think anything is wrong with the set, looks fantastic in the natural setting. Looks nice and sharp with Lots of contrast and beautiful vibrancy (like real life). Movie mode leaves a lot to be desired. I'll try your settings. I have a feeling though that it won't be as bright as I like it.
post #728 of 2140 Old 06-09-2014, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
People with clouding issues did you see this from the HDGuru review?:

"We received a tip from Samsung that the clouding could be reduced by taking a clean microfiber cloth and rubbing the screen as if we were cleaning it, but without screen cleaning fluid. We used the cloth from a Philips Screen Cleaner and the trick worked. It did not eliminate, but greatly reduced the level of the clouded areas that appear near the corners and edges."

http://hdguru.com/samsung-un65hu9000-uhd-4k-tv-review/
tontondavid, al210 and Joneszilla like this.
post #729 of 2140 Old 06-09-2014, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenovis View Post

People with clouding issues did you see this from the HDGuru review?:

"We received a tip from Samsung that the clouding could be reduced by taking a clean microfiber cloth and rubbing the screen as if we were cleaning it, but without screen cleaning fluid. We used the cloth from a Philips Screen Cleaner and the trick worked. It did not eliminate, but greatly reduced the level of the clouded areas that appear near the corners and edges."

http://hdguru.com/samsung-un65hu9000-uhd-4k-tv-review/

Yes, I read that review earlier today. I just got home and tried it and it works! smile.gif

Before buffing

After buffing

post #730 of 2140 Old 06-09-2014, 05:41 PM

Oh my god! That is a dramatic difference! Your set looks perfect now.
post #731 of 2140 Old 06-09-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0z77 View Post

I see and 2 see this phenomenon, does the TV need to be at a certain setting
I believe the depth enhancing tech is on all the time and non defeat able. I wouldn't quote me on that though since I have only had a limited hands on in stores.
post #732 of 2140 Old 06-09-2014, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oh my god! That is a dramatic difference! Your set looks perfect now.

The second photo is darker but that clouding in the lower left corner is gone !

Now, what does the buffing actually do to fix the clouding?

post #733 of 2140 Old 06-09-2014, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Yes, I read that review earlier today. I just got home and tried it and it works! smile.gif

Before buffing

After buffing

Wow. That's great!
post #734 of 2140 Old 06-09-2014, 06:14 PM

That is a huge difference. I'm so glad it worked. I might order mine tonight... I'm debating picking it up at bestbuy and paying tax + the extended warranty vs. just picking it up from amazon w/o tax and buying their extended warranty. Anyone here have experience with Amazon and lemon tvs? Can someone also confirm that the one connect cable that comes with the UN78HU9000 is exactly 10 feet?
post #735 of 2140 Old 06-09-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:

The second photo is darker but that clouding in the lower left corner is gone !

Now, what does the buffing actually do to fix the clouding?
Let us know if that is a temporary or permanent fix..........
post #736 of 2140 Old 06-09-2014, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Let us know if that is a temporary or permanent fix..........

I'll keep my eye (eyes) on it.

post #737 of 2140 Old 06-09-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:

That is a huge difference. I'm so glad it worked. I might order mine tonight... I'm debating picking it up at bestbuy and paying tax + the extended warranty vs. just picking it up from amazon w/o tax and buying their extended warranty. Anyone here have experience with Amazon and lemon tvs? Can someone also confirm that the one connect cable that comes with the UN78HU9000 is exactly 10 feet?

I bought on amazon, fulfilled by Pauls TV.  Excellent service.  They are easy to reach by phone, and seem willing to accommodate me with any issue I have. highly recommend them.  

Having said that, buying local would make returns so much easier.  I think BB has some special where you get cash back if you purchase with their card.  So if you can make it work, I'd buy local just for that convenience.  This is a great set if you get a good one, but you can obviously see by this thread there's a bit of "panel lottery" involved, which is an sad reality. 

post #738 of 2140 Old 06-09-2014, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

I'm not sure if the cable is 10 feet but it is the same length as for the 68 inch...
post #739 of 2140 Old 06-10-2014, 01:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Before buffing

After buffing

Great! How much pressure did you apply while buffing?
post #740 of 2140 Old 06-10-2014, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vddobrev View Post

And another question, did you buffed the whole screen or just the corners?

Thanks!
post #741 of 2140 Old 06-10-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 762
This is a pretty wild and easy fix for clouding. Before reading that review, I never heard of that approach...nor did the reviewer, apparently.

Like others, I'm curious to see if this is a lasting fix...hopefully so! smile.gif
post #742 of 2140 Old 06-10-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

This is a pretty wild and easy fix for clouding. Before reading that review, I never heard of that approach...nor did the reviewer, apparently.

Like others, I'm curious to see if this is a lasting fix...hopefully so! smile.gif

saw an old post on this very forum discussing this topic.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1125227/possible-permanent-backlight-bleed-fix-for-lcd-tvs-and-monitors-w-disclaimer

Quite a few people dissing the claims of "massaging" your screen to fix clouding/backlight bleeding, but later on in the thread you see people who tried it and posted the before/after, showing very positive results.

post #743 of 2140 Old 06-10-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Hisma, the funny thing about that thread is that one person after another claimed it worked for them and yet the same few posters said 'it doesn't work, don't do it'. I guess scientific evidence means nothing to some.

I wouldn't pretend to know why or how it works, but when I see such a simple approach yield positive results, why not? Of course the procedure must be done with caution, but I didn't read on anyone making it worse or doing damage to the screen.

The one question I have is the longevity of the fix. I guess we'll hear about it here.
post #744 of 2140 Old 06-10-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Guys in the Sharp thread a few years back where doing this.....
post #745 of 2140 Old 06-10-2014, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vddobrev View Post

I rubbed it in a circular motion pushing just enough to see the lighting in that area change with the pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusnyc View Post

And another question, did you buffed the whole screen or just the corners?

Thanks!

At first I did just the lower left corner. Saw there was an improvement so I went over the whole screen very lightly.
vddobrev and tontondavid like this.

post #746 of 2140 Old 06-10-2014, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Check these links out on clouding/flash lighting repair.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1125227/possible-permanent-backlight-bleed-fix-for-lcd-tvs-and-monitors-w-disclaimer

http://www.mademan.com/mm/how-repair-flashlighting-lcd-television.html

post #747 of 2140 Old 06-10-2014, 01:25 PM

I just ordered my UN78HU9000 from PaulsTV should be here in a few weeks. -excited
tontondavid likes this.
post #748 of 2140 Old 06-10-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I just ordered my UN78HU9000 from PaulsTV should be here in a few weeks. -excited

Sweet biggrin.gif

post #749 of 2140 Old 06-10-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Backlight 12

Contrast 95

Brightness 46

Sharpness 20

Color 50

Color space auto

Gamma -1

40% R 15 G 15 B 16
50% R 12 G 12 B 18
60% R 6 G 10 B 12
70, 80 & 90% all 0
Smart LED low

I tried your settings today, color wasn't as vibrant and beautiful as I like it. I tested it on my iron man 3 blu ray. Also, small minute details get washed out compared to the natural setting. I can see how it looks more "cinematic" but I prefer a crystal clear more realistic image instead. Thanks though.
post #750 of 2140 Old 06-10-2014, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Right now, I have everything running through my receiver. With the hookup box that comes with this tv, do I just unplug the hdmi from the tv and run to the box and have the box go to my receiver?

I get the tv Thursday.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page