post #1171 of 3527 Old 07-04-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeuz View Post
Sony X900b over hu9000 anyday. Superior in all ways. Rich deep colors, black levels contrast, motion lag, much better gaming with that exellent low ms.
Speakers on that thing, nothing comes close. Keep on hating, and stay 'curvin' with your sammys lol.. We out here 'Sonying' yall
We can tell as you troll the samsung forums lol. Clearly sony fans are jealous. Why would you even feel the need to say anything. Your set would do the talking for you.

But yet here you are again trolling the better sets forum.

Grasping at the slightest hope that someone will acknowledge your opinion and agree with you.

But we dont. Your are alone here.

With your lesser tv.

Maybe you should consider a good ok plasma. Im sure it was so good its no longer around. Resolution or not. Thats what they all say right?

X900b isnt even as good as x900a.

Just brighter. Not better.

One last thing.

Our tv will get better in 2015.

Better than that in 2016.

Your stuck with the lesser tv right now.

Lol.

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

So good.
jdh62 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 3527 Old 07-04-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I can't get Amazon through the Sammy, just kicks back to my broadcast channels on my set top box. Netflix works, as does HBO GO. I CAN get Amazon through my smart Blu Ray player - no problem. Any suggestions how to fix this?
post #1173 of 3527 Old 07-04-2014, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeuz View Post
Sony X900b over hu9000 anyday. Superior in all ways. Rich deep colors, black levels contrast, motion lag, much better gaming with that exellent low ms.
Speakers on that thing, nothing comes close. Keep on hating, and stay 'curvin' with your sammys lol.. We out here 'Sonying' yall
Those ugly speakers and overall look... What exactly do you like in the sony, the speakers? I have my 2500 watt sound system for sound, and the sammy for picture.
post #1174 of 3527 Old 07-04-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vddobrev View Post
Those ugly speakers and overall look... What exactly do you like in the sony, the speakers? I have my 2500 watt sound system for sound, and the sammy for picture.
And best 3d picture.
post #1175 of 3527 Old 07-04-2014, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Guys, no brainer question:

To confirm, if I have Direct TV, I should set the resolution on the Direct TV box to Native, correct?

When I said that to the Best Buy guys doing the installation, they said that was wrong b/c the TV should be doing all the work. But, it's my understanding that by setting it to Native, you ARE letting the TV do the work. Am I wrong?

Thanks.
post #1176 of 3527 Old 07-04-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimi View Post
Guys, no brainer question:

To confirm, if I have Direct TV, I should set the resolution on the Direct TV box to Native, correct?

When I said that to the Best Buy guys doing the installation, they said that was wrong b/c the TV should be doing all the work. But, it's my understanding that by setting it to Native, you ARE letting the TV do the work. Am I wrong?

Thanks.
You are right. The source should be native. The tv will do all the work.
post #1177 of 3527 Old 07-04-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
You are right. The source should be native. The tv will do all the work.
Thanks!
post #1178 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 07:10 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0CK632 View Post
Has anyone figured out a way to get the netflix app in the smart hub to play dolby digital and not stereo?

Both Netflix and Samsung know it's "broke". They are working on a fix.
post #1179 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Price is $6,433, getting close to what I'll pay now...
post #1180 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

BUMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahro View Post
I can't get Amazon through the Sammy, just kicks back to my broadcast channels on my set top box. Netflix works, as does HBO GO. I CAN get Amazon through my smart Blu Ray player - no problem. Any suggestions how to fix this?
Anyone?
post #1181 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I have a few things to say.

1. the curve is not gimmick...Katz ran over it like he was scared to go into how good it is. I think Katz is a plasma homer. I also think he tends to prefer sony as a brand. Just from his past reviews...
It's a shame, the review itself is one of the more detailed ones regarding this set. But reeks of bias.

The non-geek buyer is going to read the first three paragraphs, and stop there, only to move on.

I bought this set because it was the Samsung "mainstream" top of the line unit. The curve was not the most important buying point. To me the One connect ranked higher, due to the upgrade ability, and the better processing.

If they would of offered a flat screen with the exact same top of the line features, we may have gone with that. But I don't see the curve as a negative.
post #1182 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhome View Post
It's a shame, the review itself is one of the more detailed ones regarding this set. But reeks of bias.

The non-geek buyer is going to read the first three paragraphs, and stop there, only to move on.

I bought this set because it was the Samsung "mainstream" top of the line unit. The curve was not the most important buying point. To me the One connect ranked higher, due to the upgrade ability, and the better processing.

If they would of offered a flat screen with the exact same top of the line features, we may have gone with that. But I don't see the curve as a negative.
I like that. I was dead set on the x900a. All because I refused to buy a curved tv. I thought that is just dumb.

My wife ironically wasn't feeling well one day while I was in bestbuy and plopped down in front of the curved set. Not because of the tv but the couch in the magnolia center.
I was standing and comparing the x9a vs x9b.

Sat next to my wife and she says I like this one.

I told her it's not good. It's got a curve. She said really?
I realized she didn't even notice it until I pointed it out.

While pointing it out to her I kept seeing the picture.
Damn that's nice. But I kept going back to the Sony.

I wanted to force my mind to believe the Sony was better. I'd had access to a friend with the a model for a year and wanted one so very badly.

But one issue. The curved set had a better picture. I couldn't fight the truth any more. It was finer, deeper, clearer.

There was the curve and no special speakers.

But man that picture.

Then best buy in lakewood co allowed me to do an upscale comparison since a person just bought a curved set and has adjusted it and the sony already.

2 hours later those guys were asking me to apply.

I had verified the Samsung is indeed producing a cleaner picture. Less grain and better clarity for upscaling.

Why does that matter. Well at 4k both looked impressive.

But we only have less than 4k material now. My football (NFL) will not be 4k for a while and my entire library fluctuates between a few resolutions.

The curved is the best. It's better than the flat.

I agree if they had given me a set to actually compare what the same tech would look like in a flat tv. I would of considered it.

But I have a house that the curve is perfect for. Flat screen have suffered. But the curve in beast mode is unrelenting good.

Maybe it's just my conditions. But I also began to view the theaters around my home.

They indeed use curved screens. I never realized that.

Steadily it's grown on me. Now it's a love. And the 3d is 99% crosstalk free. I mean.

Coralline in 3d is the most amazing thing I have ever seen on a television. This set.....

Pacific Rim was just astounding in 3d on this set. Again I have never seen anything like it.

Even with my friends x900a.

This is not even what the set can fully do.

Then we can upgrade it.

Katzmaier failed. His review is standard plasma loving led hating dribble. Then he chooses the set he thinks most resembles the picture who use to love his plasma set.

I for one would not take That site serious in the future for tv reviews. They have fallin far behind even start up sites who understand the revolution of viewing we are currently alive to witness and lucky enough to experience as many won't for years to come.

People need to stop calling those guys experts for evry tv type there is. Where they may experts be for plasmas others have taken the lead on led and oled because they have a passion for those tech and if you don't have a passion for something it's comparable to being an android lover writing for Apple. Or an apple lover writing for android. It doesn't make sense to read those things.

You get a hefty dose of criticism and very little actual good info to process.
post #1183 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the black level/contrast closer to Sony 900b or high end 950b model?
Has anyone done a comparison?
post #1184 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Young View Post
X950b. Fald. I think it's FALD. But I know it's better.
post #1185 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Btw sorry man I think you posted this in the wrong place. Not sure but glad to help.
post #1186 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
I was an owner of the 950B. It has dark blacks, but the blooming on the set is terrible. I owned the predecessor, the 950 1080p, and the blooming is much lower on that set.
post #1187 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 148
watching the world cup with amp set to "standard". motion is silky smooth, 0 judder.

Not sure what your problem is @Yoshimi , but it doesn't affect all HU9000s.
post #1188 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrettF77 View Post
I was an owner of the 950B. It has dark blacks, but the blooming on the set is terrible. I owned the predecessor, the 950 1080p, and the blooming is much lower on that set.
Sorry I totally missed that one.
post #1189 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry I didn't get the question. I only know from an eye test. You know that's not a lot. I thought it darker than the x900b.
post #1190 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
watching the world cup with amp set to "standard". motion is silky smooth, 0 judder.

Not sure what your problem is @Yoshimi , but it doesn't affect all HU9000s.
Hey Hisma - World Cup was actually OK. It appears to be baseball in particular - both on Direct TV and MLB.tv. Judder really is awful.
post #1191 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey Hisma - World Cup was actually OK. It appears to be baseball in particular - both on Direct TV and MLB.tv. Judder really is awful.
Strange. It could be a problem with the source material too. For me, certain shows on certain channels just have bad judder. House Hunters seems to be a particularly bad offender. It could just be a problem with the source.

world cup is a good stress test for a TVs motion handling, since there's tons of fast and slow panning, zooming in and out, etc.

It could just be that certain types of material causes this TV to choke, I dunno? Do you have another TV or device you can test to see if judder still exists?
post #1192 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
Strange. It could be a problem with the source material too. For me, certain shows on certain channels just have bad judder. House Hunters seems to be a particularly bad offender. It could just be a problem with the source.

world cup is a good stress test for a TVs motion handling, since there's tons of fast and slow panning, zooming in and out, etc.

It could just be that certain types of material causes this TV to choke, I dunno? Do you have another TV or device you can test to see if judder still exists?
I totally believe it's the source. Only because there is ZERO detectable judder on movies, etc. But, it's not Direct TV. I bought MLB.tv on Apple TV just to compare and the judder was identical.

As far as other devices, my old TV (a 2006 Samsung LCD HDTV) had no detectable judder for baseball and my smaller 2010 Sony for my bedroom doesn't. Now, those TV's don't compare to the picture quality of the 9000. I'm just frustrated because I do love baseball and it's unwatchable. I'd love for you guys to check out baseball and let me know if you experience the same thing or if you have any other potential fixes.

Otherwise, I might just have to wait (hopefully not a long time) for the source quality to catch up to the TV. Ugh...
post #1193 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone have experience with eastcoasttv? Their price seems unbeatable, are they a reputable reseller? Thanks.
post #1194 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
I like that. I was dead set on the x900a. All because I refused to buy a curved tv. I thought that is just dumb.

My wife ironically wasn't feeling well one day while I was in bestbuy and plopped down in front of the curved set. Not because of the tv but the couch in the magnolia center.
I was standing and comparing the x9a vs x9b.

Sat next to my wife and she says I like this one.

I told her it's not good. It's got a curve. She said really?
I realized she didn't even notice it until I pointed it out.

While pointing it out to her I kept seeing the picture.
Damn that's nice. But I kept going back to the Sony.

I wanted to force my mind to believe the Sony was better. I'd had access to a friend with the a model for a year and wanted one so very badly.

But one issue. The curved set had a better picture. I couldn't fight the truth any more. It was finer, deeper, clearer.

There was the curve and no special speakers.

But man that picture.

Then best buy in lakewood co allowed me to do an upscale comparison since a person just bought a curved set and has adjusted it and the sony already.

2 hours later those guys were asking me to apply.

I had verified the Samsung is indeed producing a cleaner picture. Less grain and better clarity for upscaling.

Why does that matter. Well at 4k both looked impressive.

But we only have less than 4k material now. My football (NFL) will not be 4k for a while and my entire library fluctuates between a few resolutions.

The curved is the best. It's better than the flat.

I agree if they had given me a set to actually compare what the same tech would look like in a flat tv. I would of considered it.

But I have a house that the curve is perfect for. Flat screen have suffered. But the curve in beast mode is unrelenting good.

Maybe it's just my conditions. But I also began to view the theaters around my home.

They indeed use curved screens. I never realized that.

Steadily it's grown on me. Now it's a love. And the 3d is 99% crosstalk free. I mean.

Coralline in 3d is the most amazing thing I have ever seen on a television. This set.....

Pacific Rim was just astounding in 3d on this set. Again I have never seen anything like it.

Even with my friends x900a.

This is not even what the set can fully do.

Then we can upgrade it.

Katzmaier failed. His review is standard plasma loving led hating dribble. Then he chooses the set he thinks most resembles the picture who use to love his plasma set.

I for one would not take That site serious in the future for tv reviews. They have fallin far behind even start up sites who understand the revolution of viewing we are currently alive to witness and lucky enough to experience as many won't for years to come.

People need to stop calling those guys experts for evry tv type there is. Where they may experts be for plasmas others have taken the lead on led and oled because they have a passion for those tech and if you don't have a passion for something it's comparable to being an android lover writing for Apple. Or an apple lover writing for android. It doesn't make sense to read those things.

You get a hefty dose of criticism and very little actual good info to process.
Thanks for your thoughts.. I had a similar experience - I was very much considering the 900a, then the 900b. Had a chance to see the 900a and the HU9000 at Magnolia and the Samsung did indeed look clearer and brighter (more contrast rich) they were both upscaling the same content material. I never got the chance to see the 900b so can't say how that one looks in comparison. BUT I also thought last years Samsung F9000 looked better than the Sony 900a so unless Sony worked some magic with their TVs I can't imagine this years model being leaps and bounds better than the 2013 model. That said I'm very happy with my HU9000 - only thing I wished is that I could have afforded the 78in beast.
Mrorange303 likes this.

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amp // Kef LS50s // 2x SVS SB2000 (2.2 setup)
Analog:Pro-Ject RM5.1SE Turntable // Pro-Ject Tube Box II SE Phono Amp // Pro-ject Speed Box II
Video: Samsung 65in HU9000 4k // Oppo BDP-105 // Apple TV (3G)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
post #1195 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Come on guys. I posted several settings and have told you guys this is how I get my pictures.

Everytime I post settings the are for standard.

Standard has always been the full resolution setting on a sammy.

Again go back to my post. All pics have always been from standard mode. Al settings ive posted too.
Have you adjusted the Color Space or White Balance?
post #1196 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Baseball "unwatchable"

Quote:
I'm just frustrated because I do love baseball and it's unwatchable.
Yikes. Can you do me a favor and pick up a Sony X900B and try to watch a game?

That would save me a lot of time and effort.

post #1197 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey, felllas. I'd appreciate some help here. Forget the trolls. How about helping a fellow 9000 owner?

<<I can't get Amazon through the Sammy, just kicks back to my broadcast channels on my set top box. Netflix works, as does HBO GO. I CAN get Amazon through my smart Blu Ray player - no problem. Any suggestions how to fix this??>>

Anybody?
post #1198 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I totally believe it's the source. Only because there is ZERO detectable judder on movies, etc. But, it's not Direct TV. I bought MLB.tv on Apple TV just to compare and the judder was identical.

As far as other devices, my old TV (a 2006 Samsung LCD HDTV) had no detectable judder for baseball and my smaller 2010 Sony for my bedroom doesn't. Now, those TV's don't compare to the picture quality of the 9000. I'm just frustrated because I do love baseball and it's unwatchable. I'd love for you guys to check out baseball and let me know if you experience the same thing or if you have any other potential fixes.

Otherwise, I might just have to wait (hopefully not a long time) for the source quality to catch up to the TV. Ugh...
Sucks. Cable (and satellite for that matter) companies regularly switch between interlaced & progressive scan framerates during live broadcasts, particularly when panning. I discovered this using my HTPC and running into the "29/59 bug", which refers to the framerate switching between 29 & 59 fps during live broadcast.

I got judder whenever the framerate switched to 29 fps. Some specific shows switch to 29 fps more regularly than others, and those were the ones with the most judder. It's a combination of the quality of the source material, and the way the content provider delivers it.

Anyway, driver tweaks for my video card really reduced the impact, but the best way to fix it was going with a new video card altogether.

The whole point I am trying to make is that it's possible the TV isn't as good at handling lower quality source material that switches frame rate regularly. Can maybe be fixed in a software update, since the TV is clearly capable of smooth motion.

If you've got an HTPC, you can go into windows media center & press "411 ctrl+d", it will show you the current frame rate in real-time. See what the frame rate looks like when judder occurs. I bet it's when frame rate is reduced to 29 fps.

Sorry for the rambling, but I like to get to the bottom of things that seem to have no real explanation .
post #1199 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

& to those interested in this TV and might get scared off by what I'm saying... don't stress it. I only get a slight judder in certain lower quality material watching live TV, I'm watching world cup & it's silky smooth. Movies look awesome too. David K rated HU9000 motion handling as one of the best he's reviewed for an LCD.
post #1200 of 3527 Old 07-05-2014, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I was on the fence between the 9000 and the X950... I really favor Samsung for the most part on Flat Screens, and I think the 9000 has a lot going for in their favor. I love the idea of the connectivity hub and I'm ok with curved.

The one thing that ultimately was my biggest complaint is the lack of FALD and the horrible input lag, it's a shame, I believe the 9000 would be the best LED in the market with those improvements. Still a very good choice for TV lovers.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays