post #1351 of 2488 Old 07-09-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
No I haven't mess w/ film mode much... don't even have an option to modify it with my HTPC. What difference does it make? I have tried the blur 10 judder 0, but I actually like having SOME SOE... my fav setting is standard.

Other problem is I use an HTPC & watch TV through a hdhomerun (cablecard). Adding a PC into the mix complicates the whole process, I know it does. I know a regular cable box will give me slightly better motion performance, because I have both right now & I see the difference with the box. Even using the box though, I still see occasional judder on offending shows.

Can you please give a full breakdown of your advanced settings & picture options that may impact motion? Maybe I'm missing something. Also, what is your input named? I have htpc named "TV".
I am using most of my F9000 settings from CNET on my HU8550 with some tweaks here and there. To borrow from an old post ""Film Mode → Off / Auto1 / Auto2
The TV can be set to automatically sense and process film signals from all sources and adjust the picture for optimum quality.
Film Mode is supported in TV, Video, Component (480i / 1080i) and HDMI (480i / 1080i).
Off: Turns the Film Mode function off.
Auto1: Automatically adjusts the picture for the best quality when watching a film.
Auto2: Automatically optimizes the video text on the screen (not including closed captions) when watching a film."

Essentially it matches the cadence of the source. I think there is more to it then that but I am no expert. I leave all my input names stock and actually have everything going through my receiver to my ARC port (Including my PC), I have picture size on Screen Fit, I stick with movie mode, I keep my Auto Motion settings on Custom. Here are my settings for both essentially with some minor tweaks:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...cture-settings

Worth noting Katz also posted his HU9000 settings on CNET recently. Also as to the sources quoted above, that is from 2010 so I am sure it has been updated.
Hisma likes this.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1162.2
Denon AVR-X5200W, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
(1) SVS PB12-Plus, (1)Emotiva XPA-100, (1)XPA-200, (1)UPA-200,
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC,
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2)G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 2488 Old 07-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
I am using most of my F9000 settings from CNET on my HU8550 with some tweaks here and there. To borrow from an old post ""Film Mode → Off / Auto1 / Auto2
The TV can be set to automatically sense and process film signals from all sources and adjust the picture for optimum quality.
Film Mode is supported in TV, Video, Component (480i / 1080i) and HDMI (480i / 1080i).
Off: Turns the Film Mode function off.
Auto1: Automatically adjusts the picture for the best quality when watching a film.
Auto2: Automatically optimizes the video text on the screen (not including closed captions) when watching a film."

Essentially it matches the cadence of the source. I think there is more to it then that but I am no expert. I leave all my input names stock and actually have everything going through my receiver to my ARC port (Including my PC), I have picture size on Screen Fit, I stick with movie mode, I keep my Auto Motion settings on Custom. Here are my settings for both essentially with some minor tweaks:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...cture-settings

Worth noting Katz also posted his HU9000 settings on CNET recently. Also as to the sources quoted above, that is from 2010 so I am sure it has been updated.
You are a great asset to this forum. Thanks for your detailed response!

Also, interesting to know what the film mode means, because the input my cable box uses gives me the option to set film mode... can't remember if I have it set on auto1 or auto2. I wonder if that is the "missing link" for getting my HTPC live tv quality to match my comcast box. My goal is to ditch the cable box completely & go HTPC-only. The HTPC is simply better at everything in every way, except live TV motion.

I'll go through your settings when I get home and let you know if I have a hit or not. My wife is sooo tired of me tinkering with the TV though, lol.
sikclown likes this.
post #1353 of 2488 Old 07-09-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
You are a great asset to this forum. Thanks for your detailed response!

Also, interesting to know what the film mode means, because the input my cable box uses gives me the option to set film mode... can't remember if I have it set on auto1 or auto2. I wonder if that is the "missing link" for getting my HTPC live tv quality to match my comcast box. My goal is to ditch the cable box completely & go HTPC-only. The HTPC is simply better at everything in every way, except live TV motion.

I'll go through your settings when I get home and let you know if I have a hit or not. My wife is sooo tired of me tinkering with the TV though, lol.
Thank you for that! Yeah I spend about a week obsessing on getting things perfect but eventually just fall into an area I am comfortable with. Here are Cnet's HU9000 settings (the color changes being the major difference between the others I posted) http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...ture-settings/ I used to do everything with my HTPC but between Windows bugs, upgrading processors and GPUs, etc I just got sick of tinkering with them. My greatest single setting that I changed on my old setup between my PC and UN40ES6500 was renaming the HDMI port PC (HDMI/DVI port). It got rid of lag and WMC live TV looked impeccable.

(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
post #1354 of 2488 Old 07-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Thank you for that! Yeah I spend about a week obsessing on getting things perfect but eventually just fall into an area I am comfortable with. Here are Cnet's HU9000 settings (the color changes being the major difference between the others I posted) http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...ture-settings/ I used to do everything with my HTPC but between Windows bugs, upgrading processors and GPUs, etc I just got sick of tinkering with them. My greatest single setting that I changed on my old setup between my PC and UN40ES6500 was renaming the HDMI port PC (HDMI/DVI port). It got rid of lag and WMC live TV looked impeccable.
Good stuff. I was gonna ask where you found the picture settings, because I didn't find it in the review, again thanks.

The HTPC takes so much work to get right, but when it's right it's oh so good. I have a whole house DVR system that allows me to watch TV from any device, mad VR rendering on recorded/downloaded content, and an EPG that blows the comcast box out of the water.

I don't blame anyone for sticking with the box though. Optimum PQ with no tweaking, it just works.
sikclown likes this.
post #1355 of 2488 Old 07-09-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
There are times the HU9000 blows me away and other times it looks really horrible. I do not know what to make of it. Visually the 78" looks to be putting out a lot higher contrast than the 65", I wish someone would do a review.
How does it look after a drink or two ?
Vegas oled likes this.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #1356 of 2488 Old 07-09-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
How does it look after a drink or two ?
Really good.
Vegas oled likes this.
post #1357 of 2488 Old 07-09-2014, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Just got my samsung video pack today, took about 2.5 weeks from when I sent in. Ships from mass and I live in ct. so shipping was like 2 days. Watching world war z right now and looks pretty damn good. I have the 78 inch model and sit about 10 ft away. Black bars are as black as can be. I still think some of the 4k footage on YouTube that is filmed in 60fps is the best I've seen yet. Only 4k footage I know of is either the samsung video pack which currently is just the 4 movies and 2 documentaries, and via the smart hub, netflix, and YouTube. Am I missing anything else or is that it for now? My hope is that when apple rolls out the iPhone 6 it will record in 4k and that they decide to upgrade Apple TV from a hardware perspective so it can output 4k and from a software standpoint where they will charge to convert your existing library to 4k or pay a premium to rent or buy 4k content. If apple goes for it with Apple TV the boost to 4k would be enormous. Think the cable companies will take too long and miss the boat and apple, Google, will finalize deals with content providers and networks to change how we pay for tv. Just buy the channels you want and shows you want, it's definitely coming, just too many in the fight right now for dominance which is why it's taking so long. Ok enough predictions, I have 2 questions.

1. Assuming my 4k content is only available via the tv for now what is the best way to send the audio back to my receiver for 5.1? Optical from the one connect or the arc method? Is their a difference? Not even sure my onkyo supports arc. Hoping samsung offers more movies to rent or buy till apple or someone else gets into the 4k game and if they do Im gonna need my 5.1.

2. I'm looking for the best possible picture, obviously. I currently have direct tv and have them coming over on Friday to upgrade to their genie system. Anyone using this and do you recommend the wired or wireless version? Thinking the wired would have the best picture since not relying on my network? Any feedback here from direct tv genie users on best picture and functionality.

Much appreciated.
post #1358 of 2488 Old 07-09-2014, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now, here's a surprise about the problems I've been having with low Netflix resolution: today the Netflix app stopped working completely. When I loaded it, all I got was a black screen. Doing a little research, I've noticed that this is not an unusual problem. I tried one of the suggested fixes (changing the country code back and forth) but it did nothing, as did resetting the SmartHub. Finally, out of frustration, I did a complete factory reset. Once I got all my settings the way I wanted them, I loaded up the Netflix app. To my surprise, the app loaded up, and when I attempted to watch 4K video (the same video I was only able to get 480 SD yesterday), the INFO now shows 2160 HD! As I type this, I'm watching the "Deserts" 4K video, and I have to say it looks absolutely stunning, especially since it was utterly unwatchable yesterday.

Hopefully I won't have any more problems with Netflix (I'll keep you informed). Still don't have the slightest idea why it's working now....
post #1359 of 2488 Old 07-09-2014, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo56 View Post
Now, here's a surprise about the problems I've been having with low Netflix resolution: today the Netflix app stopped working completely. When I loaded it, all I got was a black screen. Doing a little research, I've noticed that this is not an unusual problem. I tried one of the suggested fixes (changing the country code back and forth) but it did nothing, as did resetting the SmartHub. Finally, out of frustration, I did a complete factory reset. Once I got all my settings the way I wanted them, I loaded up the Netflix app. To my surprise, the app loaded up, and when I attempted to watch 4K video (the same video I was only able to get 480 SD yesterday), the INFO now shows 2160 HD! As I type this, I'm watching the "Deserts" 4K video, and I have to say it looks absolutely stunning, especially since it was utterly unwatchable yesterday.

Hopefully I won't have any more problems with Netflix (I'll keep you informed). Still don't have the slightest idea why it's working now....
If you try to load netflix and see a black screen that won't load it maybe because you need to exit the app correctly.

I found hitting the return button while in the app corrected the issue.
post #1360 of 2488 Old 07-10-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Heads up!

I started a Facebook page for owners under SAMSUNG HU9000 OWNERS. I started to post the little things I've found and will continue to. It's fully open and belongs to all the owners.

THE PAGE IS UP!

Settings and tips I find I will continue to post. I may post using some quotes from here. I will properly give credit. Thanks everyone.
post #1361 of 2488 Old 07-10-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbolaya9 View Post
Just got my samsung video pack today ....
So what is the deal with this rebate? According to this web site,

http://vp.samsungrebate.com/

the offer is good from 4/27 to 9/05, as per the terms and conditions linked on that page.

But once I registered, the terms and conditions on the confirmation email stated the TV had to be bought no later than 6/30. Of course I bought mine on 7/01

Samsung screw up or did I wait a day late and dollar short?
post #1362 of 2488 Old 07-10-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhome View Post

the offer is good from 4/27 to 9/05, as per the terms and conditions linked on that page.

But once I registered, the terms and conditions on the confirmation email stated the TV had to be bought no later than 6/30. Of course I bought mine on 7/01

I'd still try it. Most programs have a small grace period.
post #1363 of 2488 Old 07-10-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
I'd still try it. Most programs have a small grace period.
Oh I definitely did. In fact replied to the registration confirmation email with the same question.
post #1364 of 2488 Old 07-10-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm getting some noise on Netflix and some other sources, not much, but a bit distracting. I turned down sharpness to 0. Any other suggestions how to get rid of the noise?
post #1365 of 2488 Old 07-10-2014, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I finally had some time to upload some pictures of my 65HU8500 (9000 in US), so here they are, taken with iPhone so not the greatest quality. The picture mode, as you might guess is "Football"...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	155777   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	155785   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	155793   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	155801  
tontondavid likes this.
post #1366 of 2488 Old 07-10-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Looking good, I like the lighting behind the set as well

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #1367 of 2488 Old 07-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Looking good, I like the lighting behind the set as well
Thanks! The lighting behind further improves the black levels and minimizes eye strain, it is a LED strip around the set, here it is:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	155809  
tontondavid likes this.
post #1368 of 2488 Old 07-10-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vddobrev View Post
I finally had some time to upload some pictures of my 65HU8500 (9000 in US), so here they are, taken with iPhone so not the greatest quality. The picture mode, as you might guess is "Football"...
So good.
post #1369 of 2488 Old 07-10-2014, 02:37 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
I leave all my input names stock

What's the reason for leaving all input names stock? I know they were originally named for cable/sat, PC, etc.; but I've never know if there was any difference between the HDMI inputs (I'm currently running the receiver into HDMI 4 (includes DTV and PS3) and OPPO into HDMI 3 (changed names accordingly). Is there any reason you know of that I should actually use HDMI I for cable/sat?
post #1370 of 2488 Old 07-10-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'll be damned! The set does 2D to 3D. Check out the 3D setting in the picture menu. It does a very nice job.
post #1371 of 2488 Old 07-10-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
What's the reason for leaving all input names stock? I know they were originally named for cable/sat, PC, etc.; but I've never know if there was any difference between the HDMI inputs (I'm currently running the receiver into HDMI 4 (includes DTV and PS3) and OPPO into HDMI 3 (changed names accordingly). Is there any reason you know of that I should actually use HDMI I for cable/sat?
I just have no need to rename them. I only have my receiver plugged into HDMI 3 due to ARC, all my devices run through my receiver. No real reason I know of to use HDMI 1 instead.

post #1372 of 2488 Old 07-10-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahro View Post
I'll be damned! The set does 2D to 3D. Check out the 3D setting in the picture menu. It does a very nice job.
It does a surprisingly good job of 2D to 3D. Best I've seen actually, but of course still not close to native 3D content.

Audio: Yamaha A-S1000 Stereo Amplifier // Kef LS50 Speakers // Energy EW8 Subwoofer
Video: Samsung 65in HU9000 UHD TV // Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray player // Apple TV (3G)
Power: Furman PST-8 AC Power Conditioner
Headphones: Bose AE2W // Klipsch Image x10
post #1373 of 2488 Old 07-10-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahro View Post
There is a little 3d button on the remote. The regular remote
That is faster.
post #1374 of 2488 Old 07-10-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Ive settled on custom motion of blur reduction at 10
Judder at 7.

For my set this has created a magnificent picture with little to no ghosting.
post #1375 of 2488 Old 07-10-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got an update to 1142. Stability update.
post #1376 of 2488 Old 07-11-2014, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhome View Post

The offer was extended by Samsung. The original end date was 6/30 and now it goes till 9/5.

Samsung UN78HU9000
Parasound Halo C-2 & Halo A-51
B&W 805D L&R & HTM4 D Center with Canton Karat 920 RR and LR, Velodyne FSR-18
Oppo 103, DirectTV H24-700, Apple TV, SONOS Bridge and Connect
Office: Sony KDL60-720NX & Energy PowerBar Elite, Den: Samsung PM60F5300 & ZVOX 580, Bedroom: Samsung UN50EH5300, Bathroom: Samsung UN46EH5000
post #1377 of 2488 Old 07-11-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musta10000 View Post
The offer was extended by Samsung. The original end date was 6/30 and now it goes till 9/5.
Excellent, thanks!
post #1378 of 2488 Old 07-11-2014, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Not likely but if you can do us a favor, go into Netflix and start a 5.1 title. Then pause it and click on Audio and Subtitles and tell us what your choices are. A lot of us are only able to choose Stereo.
Yes you are correct, the choice is only stereo but if I go to sound preference, I can select 5.1. does that means that the TV simulates 5.1 from stereo?
post #1379 of 2488 Old 07-11-2014, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
If you try to load netflix and see a black screen that won't load it maybe because you need to exit the app correctly.

I found hitting the return button while in the app corrected the issue.
Ive had the issue multiple times and hitting return did nothing.
post #1380 of 2488 Old 07-11-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontondavid View Post
Yes you are correct, the choice is only stereo but if I go to sound preference, I can select 5.1. does that means that the TV simulates 5.1 from stereo?
I am sorry, where are you going into sound preferences to select 5.1? Choosing PCM in TV sound menu will allow your receiver to use Dolby PLiix or DTS Neo 6 to fake 5.1. You can also choose Dolby from Sound menu but it will only output Stereo even though it says Dolby. And there lies the problem

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page