**Official Samsung UHD Curved UNxxHU9000 Owners Thread ** - Page 55 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > LCD Flat Panel Displays > **Official Samsung UHD Curved UNxxHU9000 Owners Thread **

LCD Flat Panel Displays

Mrorange303's Avatar Mrorange303
07:31 AM Liked: 226
post #1621 of 3316
07-20-2014 | Posts: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by UdoG View Post
Below you will find a picture of a german Samsung UE78HU8590 curved - I hope this is not the standard...
Your settings are set to off. Smart led needs to be on. Every single owner in here knows what I'm saying. This is either a fully defective tv or your just making the screen have no black settings on and turning the brightness all the way up to take a picture.

If it is a defect you should take it back. Or turn on the settings and stop trying to scare some folk.
07:33 AM Liked: 226
post #1622 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisike View Post
It didn't have any effect on my TV.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The set has to be turned on. I have never seen it not effect the screen some how. Even a little rub will help. Are you sure your tv was on when you did it?
poisike's Avatar poisike
07:34 AM Liked: 37
post #1623 of 3316
07-20-2014 | Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
Your settings are set to off. Smart led needs to be on. Every single owner in here knows what I'm saying. This is either a fully defective tv or your just making the screen have no black settings on and turning the brightness all the way up to take a picture.

If it is a defect you should take it back. Or turn on the settings and stop trying to scare some folk.
I wanted to ask this some time ago already... How much Samsung pays you? :-D
07:35 AM Liked: 226
post #1624 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
Wow, that picture is worth a thousand words. That's terrible.
So your set looks like that? I thought you had the sony.
Citivas's Avatar Citivas
07:54 AM Liked: 177
post #1625 of 3316
07-20-2014 | Posts: 2,509
Quote:
So your set looks like that? I thought you had the sony.
I don't have either yet (though I have an older Samsung). I have been closely following the Samsung 78HU9000, the Sony 79X900B, the LG 79UB9800 and to a lesser extent (since they are not out in the relevant sizes) the Panasonic AX800 and 900.

I have been waiting to view these sets, in the proper size, myself. Finally (hopefully) seeing the 79" Sony today. Still can't find a place near me that has the HU9000 larger than 65" on display.

The Sony is promising in that reviews of the 65" gave it a slight PQ edge over the Samsung. But the 79" uses a different panel and some of the early owner comments seem to validate fears that the 79" wouldn't match the PQ of the smaller panels because it uses an IPS panel that has less contrast than the smaller units.

What I personally care about most is getting a set that has the least processed image, that looks the most film-like without having distracting motion artifacts. Plan to test each panel using real non-demo sources of blu-rays and either sat or cable boxes playing 1080i and 720p.
07:55 AM Liked: 226
post #1626 of 3316
Quote:
I wanted to ask this some time ago already... How much Samsung pays you? :-D
Yep I own the company. You figured me out.

That's why I have the 65" model. All that samsung money.

I guess when you have happy customers they defend you. Hmm. Must be new to some people.
07:59 AM Liked: 226
post #1627 of 3316
Quote:
I don't have either yet (though I have an older Samsung). I have been closely following the Samsung 78HU9000, the Sony 79X900B, the LG 79UB9800 and to a lesser extent (since they are not out in the relevant sizes) the Panasonic AX800 and 900.

I have been waiting to view these sets, in the proper size, myself. Finally (hopefully) seeing the 79" Sony today. Still can't find a place near me that has the HU9000 larger than 65" on display.

The Sony is promising in that reviews of the 65" gave it a slight PQ edge over the Samsung. But the 79" uses a different panel and some of the early owner comments seem to validate fears that the 79" wouldn't match the PQ of the smaller panels because it uses an IPS panel that has less contrast than the smaller units.

What I personally care about most is getting a set that has the least processed image, that looks the most film-like without having distracting motion artifacts. Plan to test each panel using real non-demo sources of blu-rays and either sat or cable boxes playing 1080i and 720p.
Well film like is kinda a weird thing. Both handle motion very well this year. Sony still has a slight lead there because they have a better film like mode. That's where your seeing the difference.

Samsung still kinda has a small soap effect. The sony is a sony.

I like the hyper real effect myself. That's why I got the Sammy.
But you may just want to get the sony.

Now 4 k native looks the same on both.

It just depends which type of picture you prefer.
poisike's Avatar poisike
07:59 AM Liked: 37
post #1628 of 3316
07-20-2014 | Posts: 257
Quote:
The set has to be turned on. I have never seen it not effect the screen some how. Even a little rub will help. Are you sure your tv was on when you did it?
Yes, I'm sure it was on (to see how hard I pressed). It didn't have any effect. It may work if the problem is smaller, but it doesn't do anything if the problem is really bad.

Quote:
Yep I won the company. You figured me out.

That's why I have the 65" model. All that samsung money.

I guess when you have happy customers they defend you. Hmm. Must be new to some people.
I'm glad you got a good panel from the panel lottery, but You have to accept there are really bad panels out there and in my experience Samsung support is crap, at least in my region.

I'm sure there are good panels too, unfortunately I haven't seen one yet with my own eyes. First one I got had really bad vertical panning (no clouding on that one). As I was still in the 14 days return period I demanded a replacement. They delayed it until my return period was over, so I had no chance to return the one with clouding. Now Samsung support refuses to repair it, saying clouding is normal on led TVs.
08:04 AM Liked: 226
post #1629 of 3316
Quote:
Yes, I'm sure it was on (to see how hard I pressed). It didn't have any effect. It may work if the problem is smaller, but it doesn't do anything if the problem is really bad.

I'm glad you got a good panel from the panel lottery, but You have to accept there are really bad panels out there and in my experience Samsung support is crap, at least in my region.

I'm sure there are good panels too, unfortunately I haven't seen one yet with my own eyes. First one I got had really bad vertical panning (no clouding on that one). As I was still in the 14 days return period I demanded a replacement. They delayed it until my return period was over, so I had no chance to return the one with clouding. Now Samsung support refuses to repair it, saying clouding is normal on led TVs.
Well I agree samsung doesn't treat the world the same. I'm in America and they do out a lot of effort out here. Sorry I didn't think about that.

Your set is defective. It is not normal at all whatsoever.

The smart led , contrast and dark settings can eliminate clouding in the hu9000.

If your set won't do this no rubbing in the world will help yours. I apologize. It would appear you have a defective backlight system.
Citivas's Avatar Citivas
08:06 AM Liked: 177
post #1630 of 3316
Quote:
Well film like is kinda a weird thing. Both handle motion very well this year. Sony still has a slight lead there because they have a better film like mode. That's where your seeing the difference.

I think if the Sony 79" performed like the 65" I would definitely get it for the reason you state (funny, I always called the motion-processing looks of LED's "hyper-real" too but you're the first other person I've seen do that other than me; we have opposite reactions to it though). But it's unclear if it does due to the different panel. I will have to see myself and wait on some true calibrated reviews to come in. Also, the first person to do a detailed post on the 3D of the 79" is coming back with a very negative report. Could be a bad panel; will have to wait and see.
08:17 AM Liked: 226
post #1631 of 3316
Quote:
I think if the Sony 79" performed like the 65" I would definitely get it for the reason you state (funny, I always called the motion-processing looks of LED's "hyper-real" too but you're the first other person I've seen do that other than me; we have opposite reactions to it though). But it's unclear if it does due to the different panel. I will have to see myself and wait on some true calibrated reviews to come in. Also, the first person to do a detailed post on the 3D of the 79" is coming back with a very negative report. Could be a bad panel; will have to wait and see.
Good point. Once you go above 65 you really are your own group of owners. Your experiences and settings really only apply to those sets. I wish you luck. In the end I'm sure both will make you happy as long as you get a good panel. That's always to me what becomes the issue.

Both put out a spectacular picture.

I'm so happy. Good luck and let us know what you find. I'm sure it will be a very good read.
Hisma's Avatar Hisma
08:25 AM Liked: 148
post #1632 of 3316
07-20-2014 | Posts: 586
I've grown to like a slight bit of SOE. I have blur at 10 and judder at 5. I like seeing the smoothing effect it gives (without maxing it out to "hyper-real" mode). To me, it's like going from gaming at 30 fps to 60 fps, panning and transitions just looks smoother and cleaner.

Certain programming does look worse with SOE though, notably sitcoms. But animation, news, and action/adventure look awesome. I watched The Hobbit in 3D with amp set to "standard". The combo of 3D with the window-like realness with the SOE made the movie feel super immersive.
Hisma's Avatar Hisma
08:30 AM Liked: 148
post #1633 of 3316
07-20-2014 | Posts: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by UdoG View Post
Below you will find a picture of a german Samsung UE78HU8590 curved - I hope this is not the standard...
hard to tell if that is severe clouding, or backlight bleeding.

I can see there are points of light coming from the bezel of the set, so you might have bad bleeding. The best way to tell is to shine a flashlight at the bottom of the bezel from where the light is coming from. If you see a screw located where the backlight is brightest, that means it's bleed and no amount of buffing will fix that.

If you've got a backlight bleed problem, return the set. I had bad bleeding on my first 65", and my replacement was muuuch better. Did have some slight clouding, but buffing fixes that.

You still might get good results from buffing, particularly in the areas further away from the bezel. But if the light is bleeding out of the bezel, you're SOL.
Musta10000's Avatar Musta10000
08:33 AM Liked: 10
post #1634 of 3316
07-20-2014 | Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0CK632 View Post
Has anyone filed their uhd movie pack rebate on or after 07/01 and received it yet?curious what the turn around is and whether or not mine got lost in cyberspace.
Did mine initially on line on 6/29 and then received an e-mail on 7/6 that there was a problem with the receipt upload. I e-mailed them another copy and received the pack on Friday 7/18.
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar Cleveland Plasma
09:16 AM Liked: 707
post #1635 of 3316
07-20-2014 | Posts: 12,447
Quote:

All makes and models are in this same boat, it is part of edge lit technoligy and has been since its inception........

Most manufacturers in most industries says no at first, they want to see if you are persistent.
DplanetHD's Avatar DplanetHD
09:31 AM Liked: 15
post #1636 of 3316
07-20-2014 | Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musta10000 View Post
Did mine initially on line on 6/29 and then received an e-mail on 7/6 that there was a problem with the receipt upload. I e-mailed them another copy and received the pack on Friday 7/18.
Lucky people you are !
Here in France no rebates or free Samsung HD Pack when you buy a 78" HU9000...
UdoG's Avatar UdoG
09:41 AM Liked: 11
post #1637 of 3316
07-20-2014 | Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
hard to tell if that is severe clouding, or backlight bleeding.

I can see there are points of light coming from the bezel of the set, so you might have bad bleeding. The best way to tell is to shine a flashlight at the bottom of the bezel from where the light is coming from. If you see a screw located where the backlight is brightest, that means it's bleed and no amount of buffing will fix that.

If you've got a backlight bleed problem, return the set. I had bad bleeding on my first 65", and my replacement was muuuch better. Did have some slight clouding, but buffing fixes that.

You still might get good results from buffing, particularly in the areas further away from the bezel. But if the light is bleeding out of the bezel, you're SOL.
It's not my TV - this picture was posted in a german Hi-Fi forum. And due to the reason that I would like to buy this model this week I asked if this situation is normal or not.
tontondavid's Avatar tontondavid
10:19 AM Liked: 25
post #1638 of 3316
07-20-2014 | Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by DplanetHD View Post
I'll hope too that my 78" (arriving Monday/Tuesday ?) will be better than the german one above...

The "Rub in circles with microfiber cloth" was so efficient that it mainly eliminates the problem ?
Yes, it has worked for me and many others.
03:19 PM Liked: 226
post #1639 of 3316
I finally have given up my main spot front and center to the kids for a movie. Now let me just state I have the reviews about off axis on this set and how has they thought it was.

This was the first full movie I watched off axis.

I have never been more pleased with a side viewing experience in my life. I also have an f8000 as many of you know and the angles are not even close.

I had beautiful blacks, color and could not see a picture degrading as many reviewers tried to claim.

I have had many family mention the picture. They were sitting in the same spot I was today.

The HU9000 has the best viewing angles I have ever seen on an LCD.

I do not just say these things, as the one guy who hates it knows. I post pictures.
Attached: image.jpg (145.4 KB) 
03:20 PM Liked: 226
post #1640 of 3316
Another.
Attached: image.jpg (151.9 KB) 
DplanetHD's Avatar DplanetHD
04:22 PM Liked: 15
post #1641 of 3316
07-20-2014 | Posts: 77
Thanks mrorange303,
Very interesting !

I thought that the side view was horrible on this curved hu9000, but in fact it seems pretty good !

I hope that I'll test it on my own set very quickly...
05:53 PM Liked: 226
post #1642 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by DplanetHD View Post
Thanks mrorange303,
Very interesting !

I thought that the side view was horrible on this curved hu9000, but in fact it seems pretty good !

I hope that I'll test it on my own set very quickly...
I think youll be pleasantly surprised.
vddobrev's Avatar vddobrev
05:54 PM Liked: 39
post #1643 of 3316
07-20-2014 | Posts: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
I watched The Hobbit in 3D with amp set to "standard". The combo of 3D with the window-like realness with the SOE made the movie feel super immersive.
Ditto, i also like 3D with amp standard on the Hobit.
05:57 PM Liked: 226
post #1644 of 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by vddobrev View Post
Ditto, i also like 3D with amp standard on the Hobit.
Best 3d ever. Every movie is actually better on this set. I get the 3d thing now. Its amazing.
Citivas's Avatar Citivas
06:21 PM Liked: 177
post #1645 of 3316
Quote:

Saw the HU9000 65" today and the 8550 85". Surprisingly, to me, the 8550 looked much better. I b=played the Dark Knight blu-ray and saw no SOE. Color was good. Motion was good. I saw that it wasn't on standard settings, so someone had done some tweaking. The HU9000, as set at the store, definitely had some SOE processing look and generally looked less vibrant playing the blu-ray (it looked awesome running it's 4K demo though of course). I didn't compare settings. Surprised at how goos the 8550 was though and that, as setup, it beat the HU9000. I presume that with the right settings you can dial the HU9000 to be as good or better in terms of no SOE at the 8550? I would think so.
07:14 PM Liked: 226
post #1646 of 3316
Quote:
Saw the HU9000 65" today and the 8550 85". Surprisingly, to me, the 8550 looked much better. I b=played the Dark Knight blu-ray and saw no SOE. Color was good. Motion was good. I saw that it wasn't on standard settings, so someone had done some tweaking. The HU9000, as set at the store, definitely had some SOE processing look and generally looked less vibrant playing the blu-ray (it looked awesome running it's 4K demo though of course). I didn't compare settings. Surprised at how goos the 8550 was though and that, as setup, it beat the HU9000. I presume that with the right settings you can dial the HU9000 to be as good or better in terms of no SOE at the 8550? I would think so.
The hu9000 has every single thing the hu8550 has. The same cannot be same for the hu8550 having what the hu9000 has. So what you were seeing is purely subjective. That's why you should just buy what you like picture wise. Not what any of us care.

There are many things including motion the hu9000 handles much better.

But if you don think so. It doesn't. Know what I mean?
Citivas's Avatar Citivas
07:55 PM Liked: 177
post #1647 of 3316
Quote:
The hu9000 has every single thing the hu8550 has. The same cannot be same for the hu8550 having what the hu9000 has. So what you were seeing is purely subjective. That's why you should just buy what you like picture wise. Not what any of us care.

There are many things including motion the hu9000 handles much better.

But if you don think so. It doesn't. Know what I mean?
I think less an issue of subjective viewing and more an issue of how each panel was setup/tweaked at the time. But if the HU9000 can get dialed-in to look as good as my first impression of the 8550 playing Dark Knight, that's very promising. The way Samsung had the 9000's setup at BB it prevented BB from letting me play with them.

Of course 85" would be nice and I don't care about the curve one way or the other, so I'll keep an eye on it too.
09:45 PM Liked: 226
post #1648 of 3316
Quote:
I think less an issue of subjective viewing and more an issue of how each panel was setup/tweaked at the time. But if the HU9000 can get dialed-in to look as good as my first impression of the 8550 playing Dark Knight, that's very promising. The way Samsung had the 9000's setup at BB it prevented BB from letting me play with them.

Of course 85" would be nice and I don't care about the curve one way or the other, so I'll keep an eye on it too.
so did you play with them or not? If you gave them similar settings and you liked the lesser model more, then you did. Nothing wrong with that but it is a subjective thing always.
01:17 AM Liked: 226
post #1649 of 3316
07-21-2014 | Posts: 1,737
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...mmick/#!bi1z4q

Digital trends responds to cnets gimmick article. Good read.
Citivas's Avatar Citivas
08:01 AM Liked: 177
post #1650 of 3316
07-21-2014 | Posts: 2,509
This would explain why the 85" 8550 looked so good, though to be clear I am highly skeptical of this news. Just passing it on to see if the community can quickly debunk it. In the unlikely event it were true, I would be rushing back to the store to give the panel another look with my credit card in hand…

From HD Guru's site today: "Check out the new savings on Samsung’s 50-inch HU8550 series model and the debut of Samsung’s 85-inch flat screen UHD 4K model. Unlike the smaller Samsung HU8550 screens which are edge-lit, the UN85HU8550 (according to our sources), uses direct LED backlights with local dimming. This puts it up against the soon to be released $25,000 Sony XBR85X950B"

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread