**Official Samsung UHD Curved UNxxHU9000 Owners Thread ** - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 3560 Old 08-02-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 235
The worst part is they are garunteed to try to pawn a plasma off on you in every review.

Then if he says a TV has the best picture he means the closest he could get to plasma.

We don't all agree with his plasma fetish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 3560 Old 08-02-2014, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 148
He's essentially saying every new flagship TV you can buy is loaded with the worst technology. What a hack. He's to TV as Ken Rockwell is to cameras.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
post #1893 of 3560 Old 08-03-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
The worst part is they are garunteed to try to pawn a plasma off on you in every review.

Then if he says a TV has the best picture he means the closest he could get to plasma.

We don't all agree with his plasma fetish.
The new reference technology is OLED. Once I was a plasma guy, I have switched over the first time I powered on an OLED.......
dr0z77 and Mrorange303 like this.
post #1894 of 3560 Old 08-03-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
The new reference technology is OLED. Once I was a plasma guy, I have switched over the first time I powered on an OLED.......
Once oled really gets going things will just be perfect. The future truly begins when we let led LCD and plasma all go. And embrace oled and work to truly perfect that tech.

Clear oled panels. Windows with oled planes etc. car windows, street signs, I mean it truly will change things for us.

And it would really begin with home consumer longevity in oled panels.

Again oled 1080p is just as good of immersion as a nice 4k non oled set.

But 4k oled. My goodness. I don't even want to see it in person. It would ruin everything I've ever seen before it.

Hu9000 will hold me off. I know one day that curve will be in my bedroom.

With a massive 4k oled in the living room. So good.

4k now.
5x10, Rf13 and soapbox like this.
post #1895 of 3560 Old 08-03-2014, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 54
After having this set for a couple weeks and having calibrated it I have to say this TV is really very good compared to Panasonic and Sony offerings I painfully underwent beforehand, and returned them all due to various defects and generally poor picture quality.

I guess this is as good a recommendation as I can give to HU9000. Now all that's missing from perfection is either a displayport on OneConnect Box or an HDMI2.0 GPU. I just wish I had the budget for the 78" version.
dr0z77 and 5x10 like this.

Displays: Samsung Curved 4K 65" UN65HU9000; Samsung 4K 28" U28D590D
Audio System: SVS Ultra 5.2 with SVS SB-2000s, Denon AVR-X4100W
Media Server: CoolerMaster Cosmos II, NVIDIA GTX 780Ti K|NGP|N, ASRock Z87 Extreme11/ac, Intel i7 4790K, G.Skill 32GB 2133MHz, 4x1TB Samsung 840 EVO, 11x6TB Seagate ST6000DX000, Creative Titanium HD
post #1896 of 3560 Old 08-03-2014, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbox View Post
After having this set for a couple weeks and having calibrated it I have to say this TV is really very good compared to Panasonic and Sony offerings I painfully underwent beforehand, and returned them all due to various defects and generally poor picture quality.

I guess this is as good a recommendation as I can give to HU9000. Now all that's missing from perfection is either a displayport on OneConnect Box or an HDMI2.0 GPU. I just wish I had the budget for the 78" version.
How about sharing your calibrated settings?
post #1897 of 3560 Old 08-03-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:

Quite the media server you're packing. Getting ready to rip 4k bluray when they become available? You are going to need all that space

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #1898 of 3560 Old 08-03-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersonic1414 View Post
How about sharing your calibrated settings?
Oh, it's not a pro calibration - it was just my own tinkering until I was reasonably satisfied with the picture feed from my HTPC. I actually borrowed the advanced color and white balance setting from this very thread - page 28 I believe.
From memory I'm using contrast 100, brightness 48, sharpness 22, GR 48/52, backlight 10, motion plus 10/8, dynamic contrast high, digital view noise reduction low, darkness standard. In my case MadVR calibration was just as important in this process, so these tv settings alone may not translate in the same way for everyone.

Media Server: CoolerMaster Cosmos II, NVIDIA GTX 780Ti K|NGP|N, ASRock Z87 Extreme11/ac, Intel i7 4790K, G.Skill 32GB 2133MHz, 4x1TB Samsung 840 EVO, 11x6TB Seagate ST6000DX000, Creative Titanium HD
post #1899 of 3560 Old 08-03-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Quite the media server you're packing. Getting ready to rip 4k bluray when they become available? You are going to need all that space
Thanks, it's a MadVR-based media station with my entire video/audio collection in lossless media files; as well as a 4K res gaming rig (though gaming is currently done on a 4K monitor until HDMI 2.0 GPUs come along, or active displayport adapter). It has to be impressive enough to go along with the SVS Ultra system and Curved 65" 4KTV.
Probably going to be a while before 4K blu-ray comes out, if at all. I'm not too optimistic. The blu-ray forum has done nothing at all to advance the tech in the past year. They've been talking about 4K specs for two years now and still we've not heard anything. At least we have internet 4K sources.

post #1900 of 3560 Old 08-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Oh, it's not a pro calibration - it was just my own tinkering until I was reasonably satisfied with the picture feed from my HTPC. I actually borrowed the advanced color and white balance setting from this very thread - page 28 I believe.
From memory I'm using contrast 100, brightness 48, sharpness 22, GR 48/52, backlight 10, motion plus 10/8, dynamic contrast high, digital view noise reduction low, darkness standard. In my case MadVR calibration was just as important in this process, so these tv settings alone may not translate in the same way for everyone.
do you use your HTPC for live TV? Curious what app you use. Jriver has madvr rendering which can be used for live TV, but I find jriver overall sorely lacking after using xbmc for the last few years. So I stick to xbmc, using mythtv backend on my freenas server. For video I launch mpc-hc externally from xbmc.

Also, are you letting madvr do upscaling to 4K? Or do you run everything at native resolution? Curious of how you squeeze the best PQ out of your setup. Definitely unique but quite impressive
post #1901 of 3560 Old 08-03-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
do you use your HTPC for live TV? Curious what app you use. Jriver has madvr rendering which can be used for live TV, but I find jriver overall sorely lacking after using xbmc for the last few years. So I stick to xbmc, using mythtv backend on my freenas server. For video I launch mpc-hc externally from xbmc.
Also, are you letting madvr do upscaling to 4K? Or do you run everything at native resolution? Curious of how you squeeze the best PQ out of your setup. Definitely unique but quite impressive
1) I do not watch Live television, only high def VOD services.
2) I use a regular set of software that yields best results - MPCHC, LAV Filters and MadVR
3) So far I have been using 1080p signal letting the TV do the upscale - after a couple weeks I'm quite impressed. Later this week I will try MadVR upscaling of 24p/25p content too, so I'll be able to make comparison then.
4) It is quite an effort, but once you get everything right, the picture quality on such HTPC is un-parallel to anything else, not to mention the ease of having thousands of discs-worth of content in progressive lossless format in properly named media files just one click away.

Last edited by soapbox; 08-03-2014 at 08:57 PM.
post #1902 of 3560 Old 08-03-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Jriver has madvr rendering which can be used for live TV, but I find jriver overall sorely lacking after using xbmc for the last few years. So I stick to xbmc, using mythtv backend on my freenas server. For video I launch mpc-hc externally from xbmc.
I have tried to do this but I can never figure how, I have read wikis but to no avail. In plain english can you write down the steps in order to use mpc-hc externally from xbmc. I find using mpc with Madvr & Lav filters gives outstanding picture quality compared to anything out there.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

post #1903 of 3560 Old 08-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
1) I do not watch Live television, only high def VOD services.
2) I use a regular set of software that yields best results - MPCHC, LAV Filters and MadVR
3) So far I have been using 1080p signal letting the TV do the upscale - after a couple weeks I'm quite impressed. Later this week I will try MadVR upscaling of 24p/25p content too, so I'll be able to make comparison then.
4) It is quite an effort, but once you get everything right, the picture quality on such HTPC is un-parallel to anything else, not to mention the ease of having thousands of discs-worth of content in progressive lossless format in properly named media files just one click away.
nice. i'm not ready to cut the cord just yet, but the lossy/awfully encoded live TV has driven me mad trying to get to perform acceptably. Wish more media center apps get on board with high quality LAV filters.

@Latinoheat , sure I'll do my best.

You have to put a custom xml file into the correct location... that might trip you up since it's hidden pretty deep.

I use windows 8.1 x64. I assume if you have windows 7 x64 or above, the settings will also apply to you.

1. navigate to "c:\users\<current user>\AppData\Roaming\XMBC\userdata" folder. Where <current user> is the windows login name you mainly use. AppData is a hidden folder, so you need to have hidden folders showing in order to access it.

2. In there, create a new file called "playercorefactory.xml". If you want to play all video files (TV shows and Movies) using mpc-hc, which I assume you'd want to do, you shouldn't have to change any of these settings here -
PHP Code:
<playercorefactory>
    <
players>
        <
player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
            <
filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
            <
args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
            <
hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
            <
hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
            <
warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
        </
player>
    </
players>
    <
rules action="prepend">
        <
rule video="true" player="MPC-HC"/>
    </
rules>
</
playercorefactory
You might need to change the filename path if yours varies, but that's it.

3. Then save the file, and launch xbmc to test. That's it.

Definitely not the most user-friendly setup process, but not much to it either if you do the steps properly.

Let me know if you need more help, but that should definitely do it.
post #1904 of 3560 Old 08-03-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
nice. i'm not ready to cut the cord just yet, but the lossy/awfully encoded live TV has driven me mad trying to get to perform acceptably. Wish more media center apps get on board with high quality LAV filters.

@Latinoheat , sure I'll do my best.

You have to put a custom xml file into the correct location... that might trip you up since it's hidden pretty deep.

I use windows 8.1 x64. I assume if you have windows 7 x64 or above, the settings will also apply to you.

1. navigate to "c:\users\<current user>\AppData\Roaming\XMBC\userdata" folder. Where <current user> is the windows login name you mainly use. AppData is a hidden folder, so you need to have hidden folders showing in order to access it.

2. In there, create a new file called "playercorefactory.xml". If you want to play all video files (TV shows and Movies) using mpc-hc, which I assume you'd want to do, you shouldn't have to change any of these settings here -
PHP Code:
<playercorefactory>
    <
players>
        <
player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
            <
filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
            <
args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
            <
hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
            <
hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
            <
warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
        </
player>
    </
players>
    <
rules action="prepend">
        <
rule video="true" player="MPC-HC"/>
    </
rules>
</
playercorefactory
You might need to change the filename path if yours varies, but that's it.

3. Then save the file, and launch xbmc to test. That's it.

Definitely not the most user-friendly setup process, but not much to it either if you do the steps properly.

Let me know if you need more help, but that should definitely do it.

Thank you , I appreciate it, I will try that.

post #1905 of 3560 Old 08-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

by the way, please post your results of the madvr 4K upscaling @soapbox . Curious to see if you get it to even perform acceptably, since it's a tall task... but you definitely have hardware that could pull it off.

Sorry to slightly derail the thread, but it is indirectly related to the HU9000, since we're all trying to get the best PQ possible out of our TVs . It's interesting to compare PC-based upscaling vs the excellent built-in TV upscaling. So far nothing has rivaled the TV upscaling, but if anything could do it, it'd be madvr.
post #1906 of 3560 Old 08-03-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
by the way, please post your results of the madvr 4K upscaling @soapbox . Curious to see if you get it to even perform acceptably, since it's a tall task... but you definitely have hardware that could pull it off.
Sorry to slightly derail the thread, but it is indirectly related to the HU9000, since we're all trying to get the best PQ possible out of our TVs . It's interesting to compare PC-based upscaling vs the excellent built-in TV upscaling. So far nothing has rivaled the TV upscaling, but if anything could do it, it'd be madvr.
Yes, I'm getting ready to do it in the next few days. Depends on how busy I am. I think with my hardware it should be fine with 24p/25p sources, and I can't play 50p/60p anyway until we have HDMI 2.0 graphics or displayport connectivity on Samsung.

post #1907 of 3560 Old 08-03-2014, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

If I had enough disposable income, this would be the set I would get right now
Looked stunning when I saw it at best buy(78' model)
Mrorange303 likes this.
post #1908 of 3560 Old 08-04-2014, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hope everyone is doing well! I am in the process of purchasing the 78 inch HU9000 and was wondering about some displaying advice. This TV is replacing a 65 inch Sony X900A and is currently displayed on a stand in a niche in which the stand and TV run flush with the wall in my family room. I'm thinking about mounting the 78" HU9000 on the wall in the niche. The niche is 7 feet wide, 8 feet tall and 2 feet deep. Does anyone think that being two feet deep might hurt the picture quality? I'm thinking it would look nice mounted on the wall with the curved display. Possibly could hurt severe angle viewing, but I am not sure about that until it is mounted. Any thought or opinions would certainly be appreciated. Otherwise i place it on the stand I have today and call it a day. Thanks!
post #1909 of 3560 Old 08-04-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphcowaniii View Post
Hope everyone is doing well! I am in the process of purchasing the 78 inch HU9000 and was wondering about some displaying advice. This TV is replacing a 65 inch Sony X900A and is currently displayed on a stand in a niche in which the stand and TV run flush with the wall in my family room. I'm thinking about mounting the 78" HU9000 on the wall in the niche. The niche is 7 feet wide, 8 feet tall and 2 feet deep. Does anyone think that being two feet deep might hurt the picture quality? I'm thinking it would look nice mounted on the wall with the curved display. Possibly could hurt severe angle viewing, but I am not sure about that until it is mounted. Any thought or opinions would certainly be appreciated. Otherwise i place it on the stand I have today and call it a day. Thanks!
I don't mind it hung. And it sounds like it will work for you. I don't see any issues with 2ft recessed.

That being said my wall mount is still unopened and I don't use it. I believe the stand adds to the beauty of the set.
post #1910 of 3560 Old 08-04-2014, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have my 78 wall mounted. I had to get a larger wall mount to accommodate it. Also the curved back requires that you use spacers.

It looks very nice on the wall. Picture is amazing.
I've been playing The Last of Us on ps4 on it. It's unreal.

Should have the free Samsung 4k movies coming in this Wednesday.

I also ordered the denon avr-x3100 to pair with it. Since its isf rated, I just picked up the monster isf 2000hd hdmi cables as well.
Gusnyc likes this.
post #1911 of 3560 Old 08-04-2014, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Motion settings on custom with blur 10 and judder at 4.

TS01 screen.
post #1912 of 3560 Old 08-04-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 708
post #1913 of 3560 Old 08-04-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I spent much time with the 78" and I own the 65".

I notice no issue with picture on the larger set. In fact it's just as magnificent but even better.

I love my set to death. I love that one beyond the grave.
post #1914 of 3560 Old 08-04-2014, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
I spent much time with the 78" and I own the 65".

I notice no issue with picture on the larger set. In fact it's just as magnificent but even better.

I love my set to death. I love that one beyond the grave.
I noticed better picture quality with the 65 vs the 78. The 78 looked kind of like the 65 but with the picture "stretched". Probably because they both have the same resolution but the 78 in a larger screen.
post #1915 of 3560 Old 08-04-2014, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriSSio View Post
I noticed better picture quality with the 65 vs the 78. The 78 looked kind of like the 65 but with the picture "stretched". Probably because they both have the same resolution but the 78 in a larger screen.
So you thought that the 78 looked stretched!!! Your kidding right?
By the way, I've decided on getting the stretched (78") looking one!!
post #1916 of 3560 Old 08-04-2014, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys what's the best articulating wall mount to use with the 65" model? Mine arrives on Thursday.

Thanks!
post #1917 of 3560 Old 08-04-2014, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidenesha View Post
So you thought that the 78 looked stretched!!! Your kidding right?
By the way, I've decided on getting the stretched (78") looking one!!
Not kidding at all! To each his own!

I loved the size of the 78 but I wouldn't be happy knowing the 65 looked better after viewing them side be side.
post #1918 of 3560 Old 08-05-2014, 12:09 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriSSio View Post
Not kidding at all! To each his own!

I loved the size of the 78 but I wouldn't be happy knowing the 65 looked better after viewing them side be side.
Hope you didn't get the 65" because if you compare it to the 55" I'm sure the 65" will looked stretched because of the same resolution in both TVs

Last edited by hidenesha; 08-05-2014 at 12:14 AM.
post #1919 of 3560 Old 08-05-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidenesha View Post
Hope you didn't get the 65" because if you compare it to the 55" I'm sure the 65" will looked stretched because of the same resolution in both TVs
So good.
post #1920 of 3560 Old 08-05-2014, 12:25 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by janthony6 View Post
I have my 78 wall mounted. I had to get a larger wall mount to accommodate it. Also the curved back requires that you use spacers.

It looks very nice on the wall. Picture is amazing.
I've been playing The Last of Us on ps4 on it. It's unreal.

Should have the free Samsung 4k movies coming in this Wednesday.

I also ordered the denon avr-x3100 to pair with it. Since its isf rated, I just picked up the monster isf 2000hd hdmi cables as well.
I agree about TLOU. It is incredible with upscaled to 4K. Do you use game mode for it?

I would like to know why did you choose the Denon. How does it work with ARC? Any problems with the sound from the TV apps?.

Thanks for your answer.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page