**Official Samsung UHD Curved UNxxHU9000 Owners Thread ** - Page 65 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1921 of 3550 Old 08-05-2014, 05:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusnyc View Post
I agree about TLOU. It is incredible with upscaled to 4K. Do you use game mode for it?

I would like to know why did you choose the Denon. How does it work with ARC? Any problems with the sound from the TV apps?.

Thanks for your answer.
I canceled the 3100 order and am waiting for the 4100.

I have a Sony dn1050 now and I don't want to switch to something less powerful.

I went with denon over onkyo because I want full hdmi bandwidth. Hdcp 2.2 isn't needed right now and if I ever do need it, I can go direct to the one connect box.

I havent tried game mode. Not sure what it does. Haven't had any issues with it.
janthony6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1922 of 3550 Old 08-05-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,455
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedubya View Post
Hey guys what's the best articulating wall mount to use with the 65" model? Mine arrives on Thursday.

Thanks!
Well, nothing worse than a junk articulating arm, so get the best >>> Click Here .

I would reconsider, and go with a flat mount, with a flat mount your unit will look better. The articulating wall mount hold the TV to far off the wall, at about 4" when the arm is all the way back.

_______________________________

Chad is in the House we have a UN65HU9000 in the house ! Pro review about to come up !!
.
.
westa6969 likes this.

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 08-06-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #1923 of 3550 Old 08-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Member
 
Dj Pepelicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Samsung Australia are finally shipping their 78HU9000 here in Australia and I received mine yesterday. There is a big difference between the 65HU9000 & the 78HU9000 screen.

First of all the picture quality is not as sharp as the 65inch as one should realise that the pixels are slightly bigger to fill in a 78inch screen.
Second of all is the viewing experience, you are more immersed and wrapped around by the size the 78inch.

I'm donating the 68HU9000 to my mother as I have no room for it and cause I am a nice guy

I just watched an unboxing of the UN78HU9000 on YouTube and I noticed at 22:10sec you see video pack that comes with the 78HU9000. Shame on you Samsung Australia for not including this with any of your HU9000 line up here in Australia.


I have purchased Timescapes for $199.00 it comes with 4 different size 4k 3480 x 2160 the biggest file is around 270gig and is in .mov format the others play well on the Samsung except the biggest one. I am happy to swap any of you who have the video pack from Samsung for my copy of Timescapes, cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	200401  
Dj Pepelicious is offline  
post #1924 of 3550 Old 08-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Member
 
Dj Pepelicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Pepelicious View Post
Samsung Australia are finally shipping their 78HU9000 here in Australia and I received mine yesterday. There is a big difference between the 65HU9000 & the 78HU9000 screen.

First of all the picture quality is not as sharp as the 65inch as one should realise that the pixels are slightly bigger to fill in a 78inch screen.
Second of all is the viewing experience, you are more immersed and wrapped around by the size the 78inch.

I'm donating the 68HU9000 to my mother as I have no room for it and cause I am a nice guy

I just watched an unboxing of the UN78HU9000 on YouTube and I noticed at 22:10sec you see video pack that comes with the 78HU9000. Shame on you Samsung Australia for not including this with any of your HU9000 line up here in Australia.

http://youtu.be/ocFhP6MKd5c

I have purchased Timescapes for $199.00 it comes with 4 different size 4k 3480 x 2160 the biggest file is around 270gig and is in .mov format the others play well on the Samsung except the biggest one. I am happy to swap any of you who have the video pack from Samsung for my copy of Timescapes, cheers.
Even our boxes are ugly compared to the American's.
Dj Pepelicious is offline  
post #1925 of 3550 Old 08-06-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Pepelicious View Post
Samsung Australia are finally shipping their 78HU9000 here in Australia and I received mine yesterday. There is a big difference between the 65HU9000 & the 78HU9000 screen.

First of all the picture quality is not as sharp as the 65inch as one should realise that the pixels are slightly bigger to fill in a 78inch screen.
Second of all is the viewing experience, you are more immersed and wrapped around by the size the 78inch.

I'm donating the 68HU9000 to my mother as I have no room for it and cause I am a nice guy

I just watched an unboxing of the UN78HU9000 on YouTube and I noticed at 22:10sec you see video pack that comes with the 78HU9000. Shame on you Samsung Australia for not including this with any of your HU9000 line up here in Australia.

http://youtu.be/ocFhP6MKd5c

I have purchased Timescapes for $199.00 it comes with 4 different size 4k 3480 x 2160 the biggest file is around 270gig and is in .mov format the others play well on the Samsung except the biggest one. I am happy to swap any of you who have the video pack from Samsung for my copy of Timescapes, cheers.
I'm so jelly.
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #1926 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ahro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: New york, NY
Posts: 1,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Does the one box upscale the coaxial channels? I can get a few and they look ok, but I'm wondering if they are being upscaled.
ahro is online now  
post #1927 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 07:07 AM
Member
 
MauriSSio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidenesha View Post
Hope you didn't get the 65" because if you compare it to the 55" I'm sure the 65" will looked stretched because of the same resolution in both TVs
I did in fact compare them also. Actually The difference wasn't nearly as noticeable.you had to get literally inches from the screen to notice. I can see the difference from the 78 from much farther back.
MauriSSio is offline  
post #1928 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
david(dallas)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: plano, Tx
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Worried about softness of 1080i pictures. I'm either going 78 9000 or 75 8550 and when I watch OTA channels on the 78 at best buy, the picture looks to soft compared to my current 55 I have at home. I have tried different settings, but still softer than I think I could live with. Any suggestions from current owners of large screens?
david(dallas) is online now  
post #1929 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
westa6969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: From Michigan now Retired to Naples, FL
Posts: 7,057
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Well, nothing worse than a junk articulating arm, so get the best >>> Click Here .

I would reconsider, and go with a flat mount, with a flat mount your unit will look better. The articulating wall mount hold the TV to far off the wall, at about 4" when the arm is all the way back.

_______________________________

Chad is in the House we have a UN65HU9000 in the house ! Pro review about to come up !!
.
.
I would agree - I have my 60D8000 wall mounted in my Den with Samsung's Ultra Slim Mount and it's a painting hanging on the wall with zero mount hardware visible. Unlikely the Ultra could be used with this model though but recommend similar. When I relocate the 65F8000 I plan on using another Ultra Slim mount for that room. Having to see the mount hardware kinda sucks comparatively.

My main TV resides in a massive wall unit where I would use the stand but I'm left with only a 2" clearance on sides for a 78" and must remove the top shelf to accommodate the height.

Those discussing 78" vs. 65" and "looking stretched" come on lets be honest we don't go to IMAX or Movie Houses for anything but to be IMMERSED into the experience as PQ certainly Sucks compared to the HD/UHD TV's.

An LG G3 Quad HD may be clearer but your certainly not going to pay admission price to view a 4" screen versus a 78" or 65". I would bet all things being equal in price at least 90% would choose the 78" if it can fit within their HT. I used to have a kick ass 23" Sony in my Kitchen but NEVER would I choose it to view a Movie or sports unless it was while making or getting a snack for the real deal. In my life I only owned one large TV that truly sucked - last year a Sony 70R550 I returned to Amazon within 24 hours the PQ was horrendous no matter how I tweaked it and in that case my budget gaming 50E60 Panny LCD destroyed it as did my other two Samsungs. Bigger's not always better but most often with the same guts WILL be - Immersion is the reason for owning a 78" provided the budget "STRETCHES".

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's

Last edited by westa6969; 08-07-2014 at 08:04 AM.
westa6969 is offline  
post #1930 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
westa6969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: From Michigan now Retired to Naples, FL
Posts: 7,057
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahro View Post
Does the one box upscale the coaxial channels? I can get a few and they look ok, but I'm wondering if they are being upscaled.
It upscales everything as it should but keep in mind the old rule is that Garbage in = Garbage OUT! No upscaler or video processor no matter the price can turn a TURD source like 480 SD into anything but a slightly better TURD.

If your SOURCE is crap 480 SD there is no Harry Potter Magic to elevate it to HD or UHD - I almost never view SD source - if I pay for a 1080P or 4K TV I'm going to maximize source.

4K Source looks amazing on these TV's - enough to make me involuntarily throw out and F-Bomb expression even when viewing it on a 55" budget LG from last year and I'd never seen a 55" that blew me away and that's because of the 4K content LG was streaming to it. If there is a heaven I'd imagine it as 4K or 8K resolution. 480 SD is Turdvision Hell,

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
westa6969 is offline  
post #1931 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ahro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: New york, NY
Posts: 1,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
It upscales everything as it should but keep in mind the old rule is that Garbage in = Garbage OUT! No upscaler or video processor no matter the price can turn a TURD source like 480 SD into anything but a slightly better TURD.

If your SOURCE is crap 480 SD there is no Harry Potter Magic to elevate it to HD or UHD - I almost never view SD source - if I pay for a 1080P or 4K TV I'm going to maximize source.

4K Source looks amazing on these TV's - enough to make me involuntarily throw out and F-Bomb expression even when viewing it on a 55" budget LG from last year and I'd never seen a 55" that blew me away and that's because of the 4K content LG was streaming to it. If there is a heaven I'd imagine it as 4K or 8K resolution. 480 SD is Turdvision Hell,
I'm watching 1080i off the coax. Not much difference from my STB through the 65 hu9000.
ahro is online now  
post #1932 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahro View Post
I'm watching 1080i off the coax. Not much difference from my STB through the 65 hu9000.
I imagine everything is still more pronounced clearly on a 4k set.

So even if it's just as good you may see issues with the picture more clearly. I'm not sure though.

My Ota channels look amazing.

Last edited by Mrorange303; 08-07-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #1933 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 235
I just wanted to add some color to the thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	201361  
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #1934 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Pink. Just for color.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	201369  
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #1935 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 235
This was under uhd 4k in YouTube. A Korean channel type mock up. I forget. If I find it I'll post the link.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	201377  
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #1936 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 235
A famous Korean watch maker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	201385  
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #1937 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
vddobrev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 812
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
This was under uhd 4k in YouTube. A Korean channel type mock up. I forget. If I find it I'll post the link.
Can you please post images in one post, not multiple.
Ahzari likes this.
vddobrev is offline  
post #1938 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbox View Post
After having this set for a couple weeks and having calibrated it I have to say this TV is really very good compared to Panasonic and Sony offerings I painfully underwent beforehand, and returned them all due to various defects and generally poor picture quality.

I guess this is as good a recommendation as I can give to HU9000. Now all that's missing from perfection is either a displayport on OneConnect Box or an HDMI2.0 GPU. I just wish I had the budget for the 78" version.
So weird, almost all reviews I read had the Sony x900b as better. So torn between these 2.
dreadnok89 is offline  
post #1939 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rf13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnok89 View Post
So weird, almost all reviews I read had the Sony x900b as better. So torn between these 2.
well sony is releasing a new set at IFA so it may make your choice a bit harder they are adding a curved set to their lineup a 65" and 75"
dreadnok89 likes this.
Rf13 is offline  
post #1940 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by vddobrev View Post
Can you please post images in one post, not multiple.
No I already said I can't. Many times. Also this was the first post in days so why do I have to? It's not going to hurt the way I have to because my ipad doesn't work right.

I at least take the time to share a few pictures now and then and I wait weeks in between so the thread isn't over saturated with pictures.

I just can't put all in one because it will be 4 pictures of the same one. No matter how many I load it only shows one. So I have to do one at a time.
McGonagall likes this.

Last edited by Mrorange303; 08-07-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #1941 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnok89 View Post
So weird, almost all reviews I read had the Sony x900b as better. So torn between these 2.
See them in person.

I also think the sony has a slightly better black level. I think that's the only difference to me.

Some say it's the opposite.

Also I want to point out one important fact. The evolution kit. If you buy a sony you will only have that set as is with software updates. No real upgrade to hardware .

The Samsung will continue to evolve and the only locked technology is the panel. The panel can still benefit though from upgrades of the evo kit.

The brains will continue to grow. Hdmi connections, processors, etc continue to grow on the samsung at least 2 to 3 more years.

The samsung can do more right now as far as ratios.

The sony has a great speaker system out of the box. The samsung works well wirelessly with a lot of speaker systems. It has a moderate speaker system out of the box.

The hw h550 soundbar and subwoofer is a cheap way to add great sound to the samsung.


Samsung offers - a great picture that equals the best in clarity.
Upgradable brains and 3d performance is the better of the 2.

Sony offers elite black levels. Wonderful motion for gaming.
A great sound system out of the box that only need a sub for a complete home system.


Both look the same as far as 4k content.
The sony has a slight advantage with motion when upscaling older content. And broadcast.

Blurays look the same upscaled on both.

Good luck. Neither is the wrong choice. Both are magnificent.

I love my hu9000. Would do it all over again.
Tryton and dreadnok89 like this.

Last edited by Mrorange303; 08-07-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #1942 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Member
 
jmhilden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
See them in person.
I agree. Before I settled on the HU9000 I would have considered myself 80% for the Sony only. The speakers did nothing for me as I have a 5+ thousand dollar sound system. But the big different for ME was the better picture/colors/etc. that I saw on the HU9000. It really is personal preference, I think both tv's are excellent however.
Mrorange303 and dreadnok89 like this.
jmhilden is offline  
post #1943 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
See them in person.

I also think the sony has a slightly better black level. I think that's the only difference to me.

Some say it's the opposite.

Also I want to point out one important fact. The evolution kit. If you buy a sony you will only have that set as is with software updates. No real upgrade to hardware .

The Samsung will continue to evolve and the only locked technology is the panel. The panel can still benefit though from upgrades of the evo kit.

The brains will continue to grow. Hdmi connections, processors, etc continue to grow on the samsung at least 2 to 3 more years.

The samsung can do more right now as far as ratios.

The sony has a great speaker system out of the box. The samsung works well wirelessly with a lot of speaker systems. It has a moderate speaker system out of the box.

The hw h550 soundbar and subwoofer is a cheap way to add great sound to the samsung.


Samsung offers - a great picture that equals the best in clarity.
Upgradable brains and 3d performance is the better of the 2.

Sony offers elite black levels. Wonderful motion for gaming.
A great sound system out of the box that only need a sub for a complete home system.


Both look the same as far as 4k content.
The sony has a slight advantage with motion when upscaling older content. And broadcast.

Blurays look the same upscaled on both.

Good luck. Neither is the wrong choice. Both are magnificent.

I love my hu9000. Would do it all over again.

thx for the info morrange. i read that samsung is actually trying to lower the lag input with their firmware updates too. i plan on sitting like 4 feet away in my room. im looking for 55 inch and the curve is tempting because the distance would enchance it
Mrorange303 likes this.
dreadnok89 is offline  
post #1944 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Citivas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 2,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post

The sony has a great speaker system out of the box. The samsung works well wirelessly with a lot of speaker systems. It has a moderate speaker system out of the box.

The hw h550 soundbar and subwoofer is a cheap way to add great sound to the samsung.
To clarify a few things about the the sound with the Samsung…

The Sony internal speakers can receive full 5.1 surround sound and simulate it out of their 2.1 (inclusive of the subwoofer) speakers. It also can output 5.1 sound to an external speaker system or sound bar.

The Samsung can input 5.1 but immediately internally down-coverts it to 2.0 (including no discrete signal for a subwoofer) so even if you buy a sound bar and use audio out it would only receive down-coverted 2.0 from the TV. Your only choice to get 5.1 with a sound bar using the Samsung is to get a much, much more expensive sound bar that has multiple HDMI inputs and run all devices through the sound bar first them have them handle switching to the TV. And this still would not net you 5.1 with any of the internal streaming sources of the TV -- Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc.

With the Sony, even if you decided to use a sound bar instead of the better internal speakers, the TV can output 5.1 to the sound bar. Vizio TV's and some Toshibas do this too. Samsung, Sharp and LG do not.

Also, the Samsung sound bar you listed is only a 2.0 system. For less money you can get a better rated true 5.1 sound bar system (with wireless subwoofer and rear speakers) from Vizio.

I'm not pushing Sony or Vizio here -- there are pros and cons to each. But Sony and Vizio definitely handle outputting sound to external speakers far better. Doesn't matter if you use an AVR system but if you plan to use a sound bar it can.
Citivas is offline  
post #1945 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
To clarify a few things about the the sound with the Samsung…

The Sony internal speakers can receive full 5.1 surround sound and simulate it out of their 2.1 (inclusive of the subwoofer) speakers. It also can output 5.1 sound to an external speaker system or sound bar.

The Samsung can input 5.1 but immediately internally down-coverts it to 2.0 (including no discrete signal for a subwoofer) so even if you buy a sound bar and use audio out it would only receive down-coverted 2.0 from the TV. Your only choice to get 5.1 with a sound bar using the Samsung is to get a much, much more expensive sound bar that has multiple HDMI inputs and run all devices through the sound bar first them have them handle switching to the TV. And this still would not net you 5.1 with any of the internal streaming sources of the TV -- Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc.

With the Sony, even if you decided to use a sound bar instead of the better internal speakers, the TV can output 5.1 to the sound bar. Vizio TV's and some Toshibas do this too. Samsung, Sharp and LG do not.

Also, the Samsung sound bar you listed is only a 2.0 system. For less money you can get a better rated true 5.1 sound bar system (with wireless subwoofer and rear speakers) from Vizio.

I'm not pushing Sony or Vizio here -- there are pros and cons to each. But Sony and Vizio definitely handle outputting sound to external speakers far better. Doesn't matter if you use an AVR system but if you plan to use a sound bar it can.
I just got a wireless sound system for 1/2 off during a promotion when I got the set. So the soundbar Would of been much more than I paid.

But when I get the right set up ill upgrade the sound for sure.
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #1946 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 06:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I wanna get my set calibrated; however, I have not heard of any reliable ISF calibrators in madison, WI. What do you guys think of Best Buy Calibration service? I'm thinking to not even bother with them.
What are some of your settings?


Also I connected my HDD and played some 4k stuff that I downloaded. However, I got home and turned on the tv and now it won't connect. It shows my HDD as available, but it won't work.
MatiPlaneteer is offline  
post #1947 of 3550 Old 08-07-2014, 08:01 PM
Member
 
Tryton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay FL.
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
I just wanted to add some color to the thread.
That is stunning.. If it wouldn't be a bother to you, would you mind posting your settings again.. I don't mind the "Torch Mode" either.. Thank You in advance.
Tryton is offline  
post #1948 of 3550 Old 08-08-2014, 06:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
See them in person.

I also think the sony has a slightly better black level. I think that's the only difference to me.

Some say it's the opposite.

Also I want to point out one important fact. The evolution kit. If you buy a sony you will only have that set as is with software updates. No real upgrade to hardware .

The Samsung will continue to evolve and the only locked technology is the panel. The panel can still benefit though from upgrades of the evo kit.

The brains will continue to grow. Hdmi connections, processors, etc continue to grow on the samsung at least 2 to 3 more years.

The samsung can do more right now as far as ratios.

The sony has a great speaker system out of the box. The samsung works well wirelessly with a lot of speaker systems. It has a moderate speaker system out of the box.

The hw h550 soundbar and subwoofer is a cheap way to add great sound to the samsung.


Samsung offers - a great picture that equals the best in clarity.
Upgradable brains and 3d performance is the better of the 2.

Sony offers elite black levels. Wonderful motion for gaming.
A great sound system out of the box that only need a sub for a complete home system.


Both look the same as far as 4k content.
The sony has a slight advantage with motion when upscaling older content. And broadcast.

Blurays look the same upscaled on both.

Good luck. Neither is the wrong choice. Both are magnificent.

I love my hu9000. Would do it all over again.

Believe it or not the Samsung handles gaming blur a lot better than the Sony. I was reading cnet
Review on both of these and the sansung runs at 1200 resolution compared to sonys 300. Both in game mode. Im assuming thats why sony has lower input lag
dreadnok89 is offline  
post #1949 of 3550 Old 08-08-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrorange303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,782
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryton View Post
That is stunning.. If it wouldn't be a bother to you, would you mind posting your settings again.. I don't mind the "Torch Mode" either.. Thank You in advance.
Sent ya a pm.
Mrorange303 is offline  
post #1950 of 3550 Old 08-08-2014, 07:31 AM
Member
 
Sparty1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
Sent ya a pm.

Just curious, is there a reason you don't like to share your settings publicly?

Thanks for providing pictures. Definitely helps those of us on the fence what the TV is capable of in a home setting.
Sparty1020 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off