post #2041 of 2408 Old 08-16-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
The oppo and Panasonic both are better left at 1080p.

It is the solid performance and low price that I was suggesting with the Panasonic. Including a solid artifact free picture. The reviesw show it is a wonderful player.

I would not have a problem with the oppo but I also would not spend the extra money because you know you will be buying a 4k native player sooner than later. In some form or another.
If you have a high quality HT SS system you'd likely benefit from the Oppo as it's made it's reputation for the other half of BD - Audiothat takes it above other competitors. If one's using TV Sound it doesn't make sense to spend the extra on the Oppo IMO, other than the fact many spending top dollar may not want to scrimp on any piece of their HT.

Observed my first 78" HU9000 Curve yesterday and WoW that curve truly works at that size - could not believe how small the 65" little brother looked next to it - it was dwarfed. Panel looked great but BB pricing at two bucks below $8K is ridiculous at this point - they need to bring that down into the $6K range.

What else was impressive was last years LG OLED which they had turned off in the Mag area audio room and they turned it on for me and they popped in Smaug with the golden dragon and the details were pretty amazing for a 55" TV it was so good you'd swear it was 4K. Only had about a ten minute demo but what troubled me that it seems Samsung owns BB now as they had no promo area for Sony or LG and you keep an OLED turned off all the time in a remote area of the store. BB Mafia seems to be purposely relegating the LG's to the worst regions of their HT displays.

Perhaps the best PQ for the OLED in the store hidden and left off? Doesn't make sense but I anxious to see the 65" 4K and after finding out it'll have Ten Bit Color panel per it's spec's listed.

Despite all the AVS whining about the curves, it surely looked great on the 78" even if it's a gimmick it had an IMAX look I could not see with the now smallish 65". Price needs to come down though.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's

Last edited by westa6969; 08-16-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 2408 Old 08-16-2014, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
If you have a high quality HT SS system you'd likely benefit from the Oppo as it's made it's reputation for the other half of BD - Audiothat takes it above other competitors. If one's using TV Sound it doesn't make sense to spend the extra on the Oppo IMO, other than the fact many spending top dollar may not want to scrimp on any piece of their HT.

Observed my first 78" HU9000 Curve yesterday and WoW that curve truly works at that size - could not believe how small the 65" little brother looked next to it - it was dwarfed. Panel looked great but BB pricing at two bucks below $8K is ridiculous at this point - they need to bring that down into the $6K range.

What else was impressive was last years LG OLED which they had turned off in the Mag area audio room and they turned it on for me and they popped in Smaug with the golden dragon and the details were pretty amazing for a 55" TV it was so good you'd swear it was 4K. Only had about a ten minute demo but what troubled me that it seems Samsung owns BB now as they had no promo area for Sony or LG and you keep an OLED turned off all the time in a remote area of the store. BB Mafia seems to be purposely relegating the LG's to the worst regions of their HT displays.

Perhaps the best PQ for the OLED in the store hidden and left off? Doesn't make sense but I anxious to see the 65" 4K and after finding out it'll have Ten Bit Color panel per it's spec's listed.

Despite all the AVS whining about the curves, it surely looked great on the 78" even if it's a gimmick it had an IMAX look I could not see with the now smallish 65". Price needs to come down though.
I wish the 78 was in my budget but I totally am a convert to the curve, not to mention that the hu9000s are a great tv.

If you want a price in that neighborhood you were talking about I highly suggest talking to Chris
post #2043 of 2408 Old 08-16-2014, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hi, I recently bought this tv and I love it. I have the 55 version and I am very satisfied. I do see the clouding or light from the left side of the screen but only on really dark sections. Is it possible to calibrate this out? Is there a post that has recommended settings? The settings I know off hand are mostly stock but motion is set to clear and I am on the standard mode, so far I like that mode the best. My Laserdisc collection looks like hell but that is not the tv's fault. Fios HD looks amazing and even my old Sony DVD player looks great. I will soon be upgrading that and my whole system to Yamaha Aventage system (I hope).

thanks for any tips
post #2044 of 2408 Old 08-16-2014, 08:10 AM

I have my 55 from there and everything went smooth. I was worried about the same things as you but I got it on Tuesday and hooked it up without a few hours (couldn't wait and I was oncall with work lol) I also registered the tv online successfully. I didn't haggle on the TS01 panel because I still felt I was saving a tone. I didn't care about the cable but it's at least good for now till I get the rest of my system. Just wanted to let you know my experience. Good luck, you will love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty1020 View Post
Thought I would provide another East Coast experience. I ordered a 65" Samsung on Saturday afternoon. Of course when I placed my order the 2% discount was applied to the credit card.

Got a call Sunday morning for the upsell. Not a nice guy but not horrible either, just an aggressive salesman. I had already purchased express shipping in checkout hoping to minimize the up sells. The call started with revoking the 2% discount because I did not pay with wire transfer/cash. He hit me with the upsell to the TS01 panel vs the generic panel, the upgrade would be an extra $399 I believe. We went back and forth on the shadyness of the situation and how the fact that the price was for a generic panel. He offered to give me an hdmi cable (2.0) instead of the cheap $5 wall mount (his words) and upgrade me to express white glove delivery. He claimed to have 2 in stock right now and they would be shipped today (Sunday) or tomorrow. We went back and forth on the price and eventually agreed to the TS01 panel for an extra $228 (that's the ts01 panel and also the express white glove delivery). Not bad considering this is still significantly cheaper than the other stores.

Checked my order status Monday and first thing this morning and it still said "shipping soon" on the website. So I called today and asked, the guy said it was shipped yesterday but the hub wouldn't have it until Thursday or Friday which is when the website will update it to shipped.

That's the latest so far. I was told to expect it to be a week and that was on Sunday so we will see how accurate that is. My review so far is not positive but not negative either. They've been an aggressive company to deal with and not great about the updates once the TV is purchased, however if it comes with the TS01 panel and within the quoted delivery time then I will say its worth it.

I'll keep everyone posted and will also be writing a yelp review when it's all said and done.
post #2045 of 2408 Old 08-16-2014, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullysnet View Post
I have my 55 from there and everything went smooth. I was worried about the same things as you but I got it on Tuesday and hooked it up without a few hours (couldn't wait and I was oncall with work lol) I also registered the tv online successfully. I didn't haggle on the TS01 panel because I still felt I was saving a tone. I didn't care about the cable but it's at least good for now till I get the rest of my system. Just wanted to let you know my experience. Good luck, you will love it.

Thanks. Got the call last night to expect delivery Monday afternoon. 6 business days from date ordered to scheduled delivery date. Not bad[emoji106]
post #2046 of 2408 Old 08-16-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty1020 View Post
Thanks. Got the call last night to expect delivery Monday afternoon. 6 business days from date ordered to scheduled delivery date. Not bad[emoji106]

I ordered mine on the 4th and got it on the 12th. I checked the serial on the box and the serial on the device, both matched and I wouldn't sign till I checked that. I can't wait to get my new system to really put it through it's paces. My current system is really nice too but no HDMI.

Let us know how everything works out
post #2047 of 2408 Old 08-16-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm going to order the 78hu9000 in a couple of weeks and wondering if anyone was able to get the free UHD Video Pack from either Abe's of Maine or
East Coast TV and when you get the extended in home warranty from these folks how is the lst year covered? I actually hope that I can order through Cleveland AV!
Thank you
Steve
post #2048 of 2408 Old 08-16-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidenesha View Post
I'm going to order the 78hu9000 in a couple of weeks and wondering if anyone was able to get the free UHD Video Pack from either Abe's of Maine or
East Coast TV and when you get the extended in home warranty from these folks how is the lst year covered? I actually hope that I can order through Cleveland AV!
Thank you
Steve
I got my 78 from ielectrica. Samsung shipped my UHD pack a day after I received my tv. Just fill out the online form and you're done.
post #2049 of 2408 Old 08-16-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys,

Any tips on how best to clean the screen? I thought it said in the instructions to use water. Is there something better? What shouldn't I use?

Thanks!

Deedub
post #2050 of 2408 Old 08-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas West View Post
Hey guys,

Any tips on how best to clean the screen? I thought it said in the instructions to use water. Is there something better? What shouldn't I use?

Thanks!

Deedub
This works fantastic with a microfiber cloth:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-001-_-Product

Just did mine again today. Use a LED flashlight so you miss any spots or smears.

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE speakers x 7, DefTech ProSub 1000 x 2
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU,
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD FX8350, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
EVGA GTX-780 6GB SC, Gigabyte GTX-750Ti 2GB, 3840x2160@60Hz , Asus AC-68 Router
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, Samsung HD204Ui 2TB, 3 UPS's
post #2051 of 2408 Old 08-16-2014, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Cool A new owner of the UN65HU9000

Hi fellow owners! I received my new UN65HU9000 this past Wednesday from forum sponsor Chris at ClevelandAV. First time ordering from them and everything was painless except the money extraction! Seriously, great pricing compared to other legit retailers and great customer service. In case you are wondering, it is a TS01 panel and manufactured in March, 2014.

This LCD will be replacing my Vizio M551d-A2R in the living room. The picture quality is amazing but I’m still in the process of tweaking everything to my liking. I do have a small amount of flashlighting on the lower right but is barely noticeable, depending on the content being watched. No dead pixels and no issues with screen uniformity. The LCD dimming works real well and blows the Vizio out of the water with its color, black levels and shadow detail.

This TV will be getting a lot of use as a monitor for my HTPC. Up-scaling with MPC-HC with madvr and LAV filters to 4k resolution outputted to the Samsung looks excellent!
I’ve played a little of “The Last of Us: Remastered “ on the PS4 and “Forza 5” on Xbox One, with naming the input to “Game” and turning on game mode. I hadn’t noticed any perceivable lag. Both games looked beautiful on the Samsung!

I’ve watched one show on Netflix 4K so far, the 30 minute nature video with the forest. It looked good but I’m sure native 4K will be much better. I can’t wait to receive the fee HD video pack from Samsung so I can watch fully rendered 4K video.

I’m a big fan of 3D content and I’m happy to report that the Samsung does a great job at it. Ghosting is rare and at a minimum when present. I’ve watched scenes from Tangled, Resident Evil: Retribution, Avatar and Rise of the Guardians and have been really impressed! My Vizio’s passive 3D handled 3D content better as far as ghosting but the Samsung is still real good at it and picture quality is superior to the Vizio. I’m also surprised with how lite the Samsung active glasses are.

The “curve” wasn’t really a selling point for me but doesn’t detract anything from my viewing experience. If Samsung had the exact features in a flat version, I’d probably have gone flat.
Overall, I am really pleased with the purchase and look forward with some quality time with my new Samsung.

If you are on the fence about purchasing one, get off the fence!
post #2052 of 2408 Old 08-16-2014, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone,

New owner of a 65". Love the picture! However, the screen seems to dim on its own out of nowhere then it will brighten again a few minutes later.
Anyone know what that might be?
post #2053 of 2408 Old 08-16-2014, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefrex View Post
Hello everyone,

New owner of a 65". Love the picture! However, the screen seems to dim on its own out of nowhere then it will brighten again a few minutes later.
Anyone know what that might be?

Probably the Eco settings.
post #2054 of 2408 Old 08-16-2014, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Are the reported ~73ms input lag readings on these TV's true?

I guess there are no true 4K signal lag readings out there seeing as there are no HDMI 2.0 video cards yet.
post #2055 of 2408 Old 08-16-2014, 08:44 PM

anyone having an issue registering to get the free hard drive with 4k content? I am seeing this error

We are sorry, but we are unable to process your submission because your form had missing or incorrect information - noted in RED.

Serial #: The serial number provided is not valid for this promotion.

I know the serial is right, I took it straight off the box. Actually cut out the part where it shows the serial number.

thanks
post #2056 of 2408 Old 08-16-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
anyone having an issue registering to get the free hard drive with 4k content? I am seeing this error

We are sorry, but we are unable to process your submission because your form had missing or incorrect information - noted in RED.

I know the serial is right, I took it straight off the box. Actually cut out the part where it shows the serial number.

thanks
Is the promotion over? Did you buy from an authorized dealer?
post #2057 of 2408 Old 08-16-2014, 08:50 PM

sorry I figured it out, the box serial doesn't have an A at the end. I added that in and it worked

thanks for reply
post #2058 of 2408 Old 08-16-2014, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas West View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Deedub
I just use my breath and a microfiber cloth . It works!!!
post #2059 of 2408 Old 08-16-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the one box the same for both the 65 and the 78? I have the 65, but I really want the 78. i bought at Best Buy and had 45 days to return it. I've had it for 50 days. And, besides, I'd like a discounted price on the 78 as 8k is a bit too expensive for me.
post #2060 of 2408 Old 08-16-2014, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahro View Post
Is the one box the same for both the 65 and the 78? I have the 65, but I really want the 78. i bought at Best Buy and had 45 days to return it. I've had it for 50 days. And, besides, I'd like a discounted price on the 78 as 8k is a bit too expensive for me.

Same one box.
post #2061 of 2408 Old 08-18-2014, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by tontondavid View Post
Same one box.
I believe the serial number on the TV has an additional letter then what's on the box. Check this and I believe that will solve your problem
post #2062 of 2408 Old 08-18-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:

thanks
As others have said, there is one final Letter that is at the end of your serial number whhich is only on the TV itself and not the box. You need that final letter.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1151.4
Denon AVR-X5200W, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
(1) SVS PB12-Plus, (1)Emotiva XPA-100, (1)XPA-200, (1)UPA-200,
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC,
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2)G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
post #2063 of 2408 Old 08-18-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
As others have said, there is one final Letter that is at the end of your serial number whhich is only on the TV itself and not the box. You need that final letter.
thanks I figured that out and replied stating that.
post #2064 of 2408 Old 08-18-2014, 03:33 PM

How do I put this thing in "game mode"?
post #2065 of 2408 Old 08-18-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriSSio View Post
How do I put this thing in "game mode"?
Menu then System then scroll down to General and then Game Mode On. Or you can just change the input name to PC.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1151.4
Denon AVR-X5200W, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
(1) SVS PB12-Plus, (1)Emotiva XPA-100, (1)XPA-200, (1)UPA-200,
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC,
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2)G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
post #2066 of 2408 Old 08-18-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know who has the 78 on display in Manhattan? They don' t have it on the 23rd St. Best Buy, just the 65. I'm thinking of getting the 78 and selling my 65, but obviously I'd like to look at the 78 first.
post #2067 of 2408 Old 08-18-2014, 08:01 PM

Liked: 36
So I've been enjoying my 65" HU9000 for about a month now, my calibration atm is set to Movie mode, Backlight 10, Contrast 100, Brightness 65, Sharpness 22, Color Temp Warm1, Gamma 0, Blur reduction 10, Judder reduction 8, HDMI Black Level Low, Digital Clean View Low, Cinema Black On, everything else off.

While I love the picture quality (I've written about it in previous posts) this time here's a list of shortcomings I have noticed with this TV:
1) Clouding - has become increasingly noticeable coming from all 4 corners and sides. I have a microfiber cloth in my sunglasses case, will rubbing the screen with it help, or does it have to be a cloth specifically designed for LCD screen cleaning?
2) Blur - is very noticeable with any high motion scene (action movies, sports, gaming) even with Blur reduction maxed out at 10. I never noticed this on my previous SOny and Panasonic TVs. Any way to reduce this blur effect?
3) Dropped frames at 24Hz - I'm getting a lot of dropped frames (one every two minutes) playing 24Hz video from any HTPC (I tested on 3 machines with completely different configs). I can also confirm these are NOT software dropouts (I checked MadVR logs), they occur somewhere on their way to the display. I tried multiple cables and HTPCs and the same thing happens on all of them. WHen I play on an old Sony no such problems. COuld it be Samsung's motion plus? AT some point I will test if these dropouts occur when playing the same video from USB drive.
4) My TV has a small 2-3 inch stripe on the left side of the screen that is brighter than the rest of the screen - it is only visible on a uniform 20-50% brightness colors. It is not visible on dark or very bright background. Changing settings makes no difference, so I just assumed it's a small banding issue with the display. ANy ideas if this can be rectified somehow?
5) 4K resolution (from HDMI 1.4 source) only works on OneConnectBox HDMI Port 1 and with Endeavour brand HDMI high speed cable. ANything else is dropping the signal intermittently.

If anyone has any ideas on how to approach any of these issues, I'd be interested in hearing them.

Displays: Samsung Curved 4K 65" UN65HU9000; Samsung 4K 28" U28D590D; ASUS 4K 32" ProArt PA328Q
Audio System: SVS Ultra 5.1 with SB-2000; Denon AVR-X4100W; Dolby Atmos 5.2.2
Media Server: CoolerMaster Cosmos II, AMD Radeon R9 295X2, ASRock Z87 Extreme11/ac, Intel i7 4790K, G.Skill 32GB 2133MHz, 4x1TB Samsung 840 EVO, 11x6TB Seagate ST6000DX000, Creative Titanium HD; 2x AMD Radeon R9 390X
post #2068 of 2408 Old 08-18-2014, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhilden View Post
I hate to say it but Chad B. does this for a living and I wouldn't feel right just giving out his settings without his permission. I guess you could pm him and see?

Either way I would highly recommend getting your tv set individually calibrated as all panels are different. This is my first calibrated set and would do it again. I feel like I won the panel lottery with this one.

I read the panel lottery is only with the lower end samsung models. This is their main tv.also how is the motion blur on this tv?
post #2069 of 2408 Old 08-18-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnok89 View Post
I read the panel lottery is only with the lower end samsung models. This is their main tv.also how is the motion blur on this tv?
No MBlur issues with most content for me. Blurays, uhd content all good. Lesser content varies but it's never bad.
dreadnok89 likes this.
post #2070 of 2408 Old 08-18-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnok89 View Post
As good as LCD gets.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page