post #2071 of 2094 Old 08-18-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnok89 View Post
I read the panel lottery is only with the lower end samsung models. This is their main tv.also how is the motion blur on this tv?
No MBlur issues with most content for me. Blurays, uhd content all good. Lesser content varies but it's never bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2094 Old 08-18-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
I read the panel lottery is only with the lower end samsung models. This is their main tv.also how is the motion blur on this tv?
As good as LCD gets.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #2073 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 01:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbox View Post
So I've been enjoying my 65" HU9000 for about a month now, my calibration atm is set to Movie mode, Backlight 10, Contrast 100, Brightness 65, Sharpness 22, Color Temp Warm1, Gamma 0, Blur reduction 10, Judder reduction 8, HDMI Black Level Low, Digital Clean View Low, Cinema Black On, everything else off.

While I love the picture quality (I've written about it in previous posts) this time here's a list of shortcomings I have noticed with this TV:
1) Clouding - has become increasingly noticeable coming from all 4 corners and sides. I have a microfiber cloth in my sunglasses case, will rubbing the screen with it help, or does it have to be a cloth specifically designed for LCD screen cleaning?
2) Blur - is very noticeable with any high motion scene (action movies, sports, gaming) even with Blur reduction maxed out at 10. I never noticed this on my previous SOny and Panasonic TVs. Any way to reduce this blur effect?
3) Dropped frames at 24Hz - I'm getting a lot of dropped frames (one every two minutes) playing 24Hz video from any HTPC (I tested on 3 machines with completely different configs). I can also confirm these are NOT software dropouts (I checked MadVR logs), they occur somewhere on their way to the display. I tried multiple cables and HTPCs and the same thing happens on all of them. WHen I play on an old Sony no such problems. COuld it be Samsung's motion plus? AT some point I will test if these dropouts occur when playing the same video from USB drive.
4) My TV has a small 2-3 inch stripe on the left side of the screen that is brighter than the rest of the screen - it is only visible on a uniform 20-50% brightness colors. It is not visible on dark or very bright background. Changing settings makes no difference, so I just assumed it's a small banding issue with the display. ANy ideas if this can be rectified somehow?
5) 4K resolution (from HDMI 1.4 source) only works on OneConnectBox HDMI Port 1 and with Endeavour brand HDMI high speed cable. ANything else is dropping the signal intermittently.

If anyone has any ideas on how to approach any of these issues, I'd be interested in hearing them.
Brightnes 65 is way too high, leave at default 45 and don' mess with it.

Clouding - see above, brightnes is too high. Get a big household microfiber cloth and rub.

Blur - this could be program related, check a good blu ray.

Dropped frame - reduce judder reduction to 5 or less.
post #2074 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahro View Post
Anyone know who has the 78 on display in Manhattan? They don' t have it on the 23rd St. Best Buy, just the 65. I'm thinking of getting the 78 and selling my 65, but obviously I'd like to look at the 78 first.
Cross the GW bridge to the Garden State Plaza Best Buy. They have all the large models except for the 85HU8550 (that was last week, may have it now).
post #2075 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Thx for the responses guys. It seems the cable companies are the sore spot for all these tvs. Nfl network drives me bonkers.but nfl on fox was nice
post #2076 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonBirchNYC View Post
Cross the GW bridge to the Garden State Plaza Best Buy. They have all the large models except for the 85HU8550 (that was last week, may have it now).
Thanks, but I live in manhattan and have no need for a car. I rent one on occasion, but I don't want to spend $40+ just to take a look at the 78. It's amazing no one in Manhattan has one on display. I have't checked PC Richards yet, but I doubt they would have one on display.
post #2077 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
The panel lottery is different than sample to sample variation. Sample to sample variation is the main factor behind settings not carrying over well from one set to the next, even the same model and even nearly sequential serial numbers.
post #2078 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Anyone know who has the 78 on display in Manhattan? They don' t have it on the 23rd St. Best Buy, just the 65. I'm thinking of getting the 78 and selling my 65, but obviously I'd like to look at the 78 first.
The 78" will be bigger, "in general" they will be very similar.
post #2079 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
The 78" will be bigger, "in general" they will be very similar.
I know it will be bigger, obviously. I'd like to see if it's more immersive than the 65, and I wouldn't think of buying one unseen.
post #2080 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I know it will be bigger, obviously. I'd like to see if it's more immersive than the 65, and I wouldn't think of buying one unseen.
I compared the 78hu9000 to the 75HU8550 and the 78 seemed so much larger that I had to measure the difference. The 78 was 3" wider and 3" longer but seemed even more than that!!
post #2081 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Thanks, but I live in manhattan and have no need for a car. I rent one on occasion, but I don't want to spend $40+ just to take a look at the 78. It's amazing no one in Manhattan has one on display. I have't checked PC Richards yet, but I doubt they would have one on display.
They don't have the 85" on display at the Samsung Experience store at the mall at Colombus Circle?
post #2082 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
They don't have the 85" on display at the Samsung Experience store at the mall at Colombus Circle?
To the best of my knowledge, they closed that a while ago. Supposedly they are looking for new space. I wish it was still there, it was great, but I guess it was very expensive to maintain.
post #2083 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

"The Samsung Experience showroom is departing the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle in January, the New York Post reported, as 10-year leases signed at the center when the project opened begin to expire."

- See more at: http://therealdeal.com/blog/2011/12/....3H0AhFk1.dpuf
post #2084 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, they closed that a while ago. Supposedly they are looking for new space. I wish it was still there, it was great, but I guess it was very expensive to maintain.
They are currently building big store down in the Meatpacking district near the start of the High Line. They paid a record rent for it for the area ($450psf). I just assumed that was a second location and didn't realize they had closed the previous one.

Yeah, NYC kind of sucks for seeing electronics in-person outside of the brand-owned stores like the Sony one. So Cal was so much better for this when I lived there. Even the massive B&H store has a lousy selection of large screens on display.
post #2085 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
The panel lottery is different than sample to sample variation. Sample to sample variation is the main factor behind settings not carrying over well from one set to the next, even the same model and even nearly sequential serial numbers.
Thx chad for clearing that up
post #2086 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Warm ok?

Hi,

I wall mounted my 78HU9000, looks great, but last night I was adjusting the tilt down a bit, and noticed that the bezel that I grab onto is warm...not hot...but very warm (if that makes sense). I'm new to LED's, so is this normal. Just thought I'd check...

Alex
post #2087 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceiv View Post
Hi,

I wall mounted my 78HU9000, looks great, but last night I was adjusting the tilt down a bit, and noticed that the bezel that I grab onto is warm...not hot...but very warm (if that makes sense). I'm new to LED's, so is this normal. Just thought I'd check...

Alex
Do you mean frame? If on the side is where you refer to, it is normal to be warm, it is edge lit.
post #2088 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by vddobrev View Post
Brightnes 65 is way too high, leave at default 45 and don' mess with it.

Clouding - see above, brightnes is too high. Get a big household microfiber cloth and rub.

Blur - this could be program related, check a good blu ray.

Dropped frame - reduce judder reduction to 5 or less.
Thanks for your response.

I will get a big cloth for clouding fix then, and I will try reducing judder reduction to 5 to see if it helps with dropped frames.

Blur is visible in EVERY SINGLE thing - every game, every bluray, every dvd, every tv broadcast, it has nothing to do with the video source.

If I lower the brightness to under 60 everything is way too dark (at brightness 45 about 40% picture that should be visible is black) unless I turn on the dynamic contrast setting, but that completely destroys picture on bright areas. Any other settings you recommend to compensate for low brightness?

Displays: Samsung Curved 4K 65" UN65HU9000; Samsung 4K 28" U28D590D; ASUS 4K 32" ProArt PA328Q
Audio System: SVS Ultra 5.1 with SB-2000; Denon AVR-X4100W; Dolby Atmos 5.2.2
Media Server: CoolerMaster Cosmos II, AMD Radeon R9 295X2, ASRock Z87 Extreme11/ac, Intel i7 4790K, G.Skill 32GB 2133MHz, 4x1TB Samsung 840 EVO, 11x6TB Seagate ST6000DX000, Creative Titanium HD; 2x AMD Radeon R9 390X
post #2089 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vddobrev View Post
Do you mean frame? If on the side is where you refer to, it is normal to be warm, it is edge lit.

Yes, sorry the frame. As I was talking with Samsung Tech support, they said that heat could increase the light bleed/clouding...so I thought I'd ask...
post #2090 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbox View Post
Thanks for your response.

I will get a big cloth for clouding fix then, and I will try reducing judder reduction to 5 to see if it helps with dropped frames.

Blur is visible in EVERY SINGLE thing - every game, every bluray, every dvd, every tv broadcast, it has nothing to do with the video source.

If I lower the brightness to under 60 everything is way too dark (at brightness 45 about 40% picture that should be visible is black) unless I turn on the dynamic contrast setting, but that completely destroys picture on bright areas. Any other settings you recommend to compensate for low brightness?
OMG, this sounds like a defective set! I would reset the TV and call Samsung.

Edit: what I mean is 45 brightnes is spot on correct, Samsung got this setting right by default.

What happens if you increase backlight to 15? Is the image too dark? If yes, I am positive it is defective. Also double check your gamma setting, is it 0 as you stated?

Last edited by vddobrev; Yesterday at 01:38 PM.
post #2091 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Yeah that brightness issue is insane. This TV has it's flaws but brightness is NOT one of them.

Addressing the blur - you tell me you use your HTPC for content consumption, correct? Have you tried any stand-alone devices, such as a stand-alone blu-ray player, or some OTA TV, and see if the problems still exist?

I am wondering if you are having issues due to your PC video card settings.

It's also very strange you can't get your 4K signal to be stable except with one specific type of cable. I have tried different cables, both high speed, and a plain old generic HDMI cable, and both give me perfect picture at 4K.

I don't understand why you're having such odd issues.
post #2092 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
Yeah that brightness issue is insane. This TV has it's flaws but brightness is NOT one of them.

Addressing the blur - you tell me you use your HTPC for content consumption, correct? Have you tried any stand-alone devices, such as a stand-alone blu-ray player, or some OTA TV, and see if the problems still exist?

I am wondering if you are having issues due to your PC video card settings.

It's also very strange you can't get your 4K signal to be stable except with one specific type of cable. I have tried different cables, both high speed, and a plain old generic HDMI cable, and both give me perfect picture at 4K.

I don't understand why you're having such odd issues.
Ditto on the cable, I use plain vanilla cable, as cheap as they get, and no problems.
post #2093 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 83
soapbox, your issues sound so bizzarre I would actually contact samsung.

Most of what you said is not normal, except for clouding.

There should be NO blurring, any HDMI cable should work for 4K (within reason), and you shouldn't need to jack up the brightness beyond the default of 50 to get a non-dim picture.

I had blurring at one point when watching live TV, but that was b/c I had de-interlacing turned off by accident, and the blurring was due to the PC not reacting to the interlaced frames. That was an HTPC issue though, not a TV issue.
post #2094 of 2094 Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
soapbox, your issues sound so bizzarre I would actually contact samsung.

Most of what you said is not normal, except for clouding.

There should be NO blurring, any HDMI cable should work for 4K (within reason), and you shouldn't need to jack up the brightness beyond the default of 50 to get a non-dim picture.

I had blurring at one point when watching live TV, but that was b/c I had de-interlacing turned off by accident, and the blurring was due to the PC not reacting to the interlaced frames. That was an HTPC issue though, not a TV issue.
Hisma, I think default brightness is 45.

soapbox, can you reset the TV all together and see what happens? Have you upgraded firmware? Sometimes a firmware upgrade can mess things up until you reset the TV.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page