Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTV69 View Post
<br />
<br />
Definitely helps ... thanks! The thing that concerns me most is looking at some of those comparison pictures at the Vizio booth. The Samsung almost looks unwatchable with major clouding in the black bars, poor detail, etc. Those comparison pics aren't even close in terms of PQ. That's primarily what is making me second guess the 7150.
I absolutely understand your concern. At the end of the day you'll be making an investment for your home theater, with your hard earned money. You need to be comfortable with your decision.

I'm not sure where you looked at the two. I know there are some people who had the clouding on their panels. There are others, including myself, who have seen minor clouding but it's negligible. It's certainly not enough to return the TV or go with another brand.

Either way, I hope you enjoy whichever TV you choose! Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 1139 Old 06-19-2014, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by conkris View Post
From the manual RE: Motion Lighting

Motion Lighting
Adjusts the brightness in response to on-screen movements to reduce power consumption.
"" This feature is only available when the Picture Mode is set to Standard and is not available in 3D mode.
"" Adjusting the Contrast, Brightness, and other picture quality settings deactivates Motion Lighting.
it makes the tv to dim to watch maybe I need a camara on the TV to detect movement in the room.
conkris likes this.
post #663 of 1139 Old 06-19-2014, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by talljerry View Post
it makes the tv to dim to watch maybe I need a camara on the TV to detect movement in the room.
Try making a small adjustment to contrast and/or brightness....1 or 2 points shouldn't make a huge PQ difference. This is suppose to turn it off. Give it a shot, see if it helps, you can always go back.

~TC
post #664 of 1139 Old 06-19-2014, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had the 65" version of this TV for over 2 months now and have been playing with settings with different content such as gaming, online streaming, 3D, Cable TV and blue ray. I do have slight flash lighting in the corners but no clouding. Flash lighting is pretty typical with the edge lit technology. You can minimize it even on movies where you have black bars top and bottom. I think the motion, picture quality and night viewing is superb and happy with the purchase.

Here are a few of my thoughts nothing really in order.

I don't think the vizio comparison was fair.. Its different technologies it's not an apples to apples comparison between the two especially when that event had a biased comparison.

Anyways...My setup consist of cable box > Xbox One > Receiver > TV

Here are the settings I'm happy with and can be different with what other people might like or what content they watch or how equipment is set up. Reason being I have noticed that I like to change the settings based on the quality, source and viewing time.

My general settings where I get no flash lighting are Standard, brightness 34, backlight 3-7 (night time, nice and dark) but change it to 10-15 (daytime when blinds are open. I will notice flash lighting when I go 7+ on backlight or higher than 34 on the brightness), Contrast 90, Eco mode off, Dynamic Contrast LOW (This I feel pops the picture slightly without losing detail in the color gradients any higher I notice the grey bar deviate too much from the true picture), and Dark for the black level ( this I feel makes sure the image source is always getting black in the picture to improve the contrast, any higher and you get black crush), sharpness is set to 40, color 50, Tint I think off the top of my head was 44/56 or somewhere around there. I noticed the set had some slight green hue, so I had to trim that and add some red. I used the TV's blue color filter with some CD calibration tool I downloaded here. For the picture I use Cool (sports) or Warm 1 (movies/TV). I have LED motion off, Cinema Off, Motion rate is set to Clear, HDMI level is LOW. I found that the HDMI level low gives me the best deep blacks especially at night. But I counter it with gamma +3 to bring out any dark shadows in the picture. Reason why is that When I look at cable content I notice that since the Cable HD source quality is lower than that of blue ray or video games the deeper grey/blacks sometimes get lost. The increase in gamma brings it out. However if that is not enough for the content I'm viewing I bring it back to Normal, But that's pretty rare...the content has to be a very low quality such as a poor video stream. The mpg stuff I leave on auto I like it since it makes the picture look better on downloaded movies I view with lower quality on such a big set. Blue Ray or Video game content looks phenomenal and feel like it has a nice color range with HDMI Black Low. I think that's it for my settings.

You have to be careful with the eco and cinema mode settings I turn these off. Since I don’t like for the set to auto dim the picture drastically sometimes when not needed for example in cinema if there is a very dark scene it makes the whole picture even darker when not needed. It’s really depending on what you are watching. I feel with the settings above already do a good job of minimizing flash lighting.

The "smart" features are useless for me just because I have the TV connected to the Xbox one. Plus I think you can find better smart features with a chrome cast or a Roku. I guess it’s a nice touch for users that don't have this at all.

The TV is very thin and looks elegant I like the way it looks. Only complaint is that I didn't buy the TV after the $200 price cut!

Last edited by Sicc Boy; 06-19-2014 at 11:36 AM.
post #665 of 1139 Old 06-19-2014, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm debating about upgrading my 65" calibrated F6400, would the 7150 be a good upgrade?
post #666 of 1139 Old 06-19-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMan3 View Post
I'm debating about upgrading my 65" calibrated F6400, would the 7150 be a good upgrade?
I have the 60" non 3d, single core cpu version of that set version with matte screen. It's a nice upgrade from that. Couple of reasons, 240 refresh rate and upgrade in picture quality. I think it would be a nice upgrade but not a GREAT upgrade. Wait till the price drops or wait to see how the vizio "p" series stacks up when it comes out later in the year.
post #667 of 1139 Old 06-19-2014, 01:08 PM

^^ second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMan3 View Post
I saw the H6400 and thought it was nice, but wasn't crazy about the semi-matte finish. But that's just my opinion. This of course was after seeing the H7150's. If you're happy with your current setup and PQ, then I'd say keep it.

If you're looking to upgrade the processor from dual to quad core, then it might be worth it. I'm uncertain of the other differences other than what sicc boy mentioned. You can go to a local big box and play around with features to see if the speed and differences are significant.

Youll be dropping a little over 2k for the 65" version. I absolutely love my 46" and have no regrets buying it.

I hope this helps someway. Good luck.

Last edited by scoe141; 06-19-2014 at 01:57 PM.
post #668 of 1139 Old 06-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Definitely helps ... thanks! The thing that concerns me most is looking at some of those comparison pictures at the Vizio booth. The Samsung almost looks unwatchable with major clouding in the black bars, poor detail, etc. Those comparison pics aren't even close in terms of PQ. That's primarily what is making me second guess the 7150.
Do you have a link to that thread? I would really doubt what ever that thread had to say if it says the 7150 was anywhere near unwatchable. Nothing bad on Vizio as I was going to wait and see what they had to offer with their P and R series, but the more I read about them they may never even come to market as Vizio has done this with other series in the past.

As another post pointed out, go to Best Buy or wherever and look at all of the sets. Before I was really in the market for a new set and before the 7150 was out I always stared at the 7100 as it just blew everything else away and the 7150 is just an upgraded 7100 basically. I know settings and source can have a huge impact while looking at sets in a big box store, but still, the Samsungs just stood out. I got my set the first week they were out and I still love it.

Life is hard, be harder.
post #669 of 1139 Old 06-19-2014, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints View Post
Do you have a link to that thread? I would really doubt what ever that thread had to say if it says the 7150 was anywhere near unwatchable. Nothing bad on Vizio as I was going to wait and see what they had to offer with their P and R series, but the more I read about them they may never even come to market as Vizio has done this with other series in the past. <br />
<br />
As another post pointed out, go to Best Buy or wherever and look at all of the sets. Before I was really in the market for a new set and before the 7150 was out I always stared at the 7100 as it just blew everything else away and the 7150 is just an upgraded 7100 basically. I know settings and source can have a huge impact while looking at sets in a big box store, but still, the Samsungs just stood out. I got my set the first week they were out and I still love it.
<br />
<br />
Look on the main page of this site. Right under Home .... it's got a list of topics and one is Vizio M-Series vs. the Sammy 7150. The gentlemen was at a Vizio booth so .... Anyway ... I'm not at home, but I am seeing these washed out kind of green clouding I saw in these pictures. I might exchange for the 65U8550. Smaller, but 4K.
post #670 of 1139 Old 06-19-2014, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
<br />
<br />
Look on the main page of this site. Right under Home .... it's got a list of topics and one is Vizio M-Series vs. the Sammy 7150. The gentlemen was at a Vizio booth so .... Anyway ... I'm not at home, but I am seeing these washed out kind of green clouding I saw in these pictures. I might exchange for the 65U8550. Smaller, but 4K.
This thread?

Vizio Demo: M Series vs. Samsung H7150

This thread is a joke. I'm sure if Samsung hosted an event like this the images would be reversed, lol. My TV looks NOTHING like the image portrayed on the right. If it did, it would be back in the store! In fact, when I get a chance I plan on loading these scenes up and taking some pics myself.
ozark likes this.
post #671 of 1139 Old 06-19-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
<br />
<br />
Just more insight....My set looks no where near as the photos that were posted in that thread or even what raker posted.

I CAN make my set look like that tho 15-20 backlight 60-100 on brightness, turn off local dimming by going on movie mode HDMI level Normal (on a source that needs to have LOW select), contrast below 50, turn off dynamic contrast, and also no black level adjustment.

A set that is NOT calibrated will look like poop You just cant go off pictures when the booth is biased towards one product. I do however know that FALD technology is better than led edge lit. 32 zones tho really wont cut it for me tho for the M series. If I wanted FALD I would go gotten Samsungs iteration of it. But for a bigger size and my budget no can do!
mattskr likes this.
post #672 of 1139 Old 06-19-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattskr View Post
This thread?

This thread is a joke. I'm sure if Samsung hosted an event like this the images would be reversed, lol. My TV looks NOTHING like the image portrayed on the right. If it did, it would be back in the store! In fact, when I get a chance I plan on loading these scenes up and taking some pics myself.
I second that. I woukld NOT go by that thread or review when determining a new TV purchase. My 7150 isnt even close to looking like that.
post #673 of 1139 Old 06-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
I didn't read the whole thread yet, but the first thing that stood out to me is the first picture in the thread. I can't click on it to see it bigger, but on my ipad I can stretch it and the first thing to jump out at me is the hobbits left sleeve. On the Vizio there is black crush and you can't see the detail of the curve on the upper shoulder, you can see it on the Samsung. I'm sure it's a very nice tv and a lot of people will love it, but there are so many variables in a test or "show" like that, that it really proves nothing. If you start reading the comments you'll see what I mean.

Life is hard, be harder.
post #674 of 1139 Old 06-19-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
This thread?

As promised...here is my pic of that scene in the Vizio vs. 7150 demo. I don't know WHAT Vizio did to make that Samsung look that bad...

cartman025 likes this.
post #675 of 1139 Old 06-19-2014, 07:30 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
This thread?

I agree, and now find it hard to trust any so called 'comparison' from Visio. I would hope Samsung would not mislead customers in this type of scam.

post #676 of 1139 Old 06-19-2014, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone have an update from Samsung on the green flashing issue or if there is actually a firmware update coming out to fix it?
post #677 of 1139 Old 06-19-2014, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDgirl View Post
Does anyone have an update from Samsung on the green flashing issue or if there is actually a firmware update coming out to fix it?
Anyone able to get a pic of the issue? Are we absolutely sure it is a firmware issue?
post #678 of 1139 Old 06-20-2014, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonwhiskey View Post
Anyone able to get a pic of the issue? Are we absolutely sure it is a firmware issue?
The green flash is so quick (blink of an eye) you can't take a pic of it. If someone has a car dash cam, that might work. Those video cams loop the recorded video so no worries about filling the memory on a regular digital camera and miss the flashing. Again, it's so quick many are ignoring it. I haven't seen it for two days.

post #679 of 1139 Old 06-20-2014, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Playing around with contrast or any currently set settings does not get rid of the auto dimming. I have all related settings turned off.
post #680 of 1139 Old 06-20-2014, 01:10 PM

Liked: 2
hi all,

just thought i would chime in here. noob to the forum, but definitely enjoy everyone's comments and willingness to share info on here. well, mostly everyone's comments :-)

i've had the 65" 7150 for about 6 weeks now...absolutely loving it.

previous to this set, i had purchased a sharp 70" Q+ SQ. at the time, i most definitely bought into the "subpixel" hype, hoping to future proof myself a bit for 4K content. a buddy of mine purchase the 7150 not too long after i got my sharp, so of course we were constantly comparing. both of us were very happy, but exactly 42 days from my purchase date i began having picture problems. luckily, elite plus members at best buy have 45 days to return, so of course i immediately boxed the tv up and returned it.

at this point, of course now i'm nervous about purchasing another sharp panel, so i go into best buy to look at the 7150. even without the mythical subpixel, it looks great (even on the crappy in store demo mode), so i decide to roll the dice and pick up the sammy.

maybe it's just my personal taste, but to me there is no comparison between the 2 sets. the 7150 is a joy to watch. colors absolutely pop, nice deep blacks, fantastic PQ...where i saw color banding and pixelation on the sharp, now i only see smooth gradation and very little, if any, artifacts at all. clouding is next to none on my set, and i have managed the little bit of flashlighting i have with the black level settings. i am still amazed at the clarity of picture, especially coming from the Q+.

i will say that the firmware has been a bit frustrating at times, but a certain amount of that i can live with. i am running 1110, and i've seen the 5.1 issue, the screensaver issue, and the netflix playback issue (i have not seen the green flash issue on my set.) for the most part, these issues seem to be getting addressed through updates, or workarounds in some cases. in any case, the PQ is so much better than that of the Q+ to make up for any minor (imo) issues i might see along the way.

in short, +1 for "love this tv".
mattskr and BlueOcean50 like this.
post #681 of 1139 Old 06-21-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman025 View Post
hi all,

just thought i would chime in here. noob to the forum, but definitely enjoy everyone's comments and willingness to share info on here. well, mostly everyone's comments :-)

i've had the 65" 7150 for about 6 weeks now...absolutely loving it.

... and i've seen the 5.1 issue, the screensaver issue, and the netflix playback issue

... in any case, the PQ is so much better than that of the Q+ to make up for any minor (imo) issues i might see along the way.

in short, +1 for "love this tv".
The Netflix the playback problems can be fixed with the Roku 3.

I've 'cut the cord' with cable companies and really like the Roku 3 and have over the air local stations (antenna). Still amazed how clear the local stations are as well as the Roku offerings...

Here's more on the Roku 3: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/roku-3,review-2129.html

Last edited by JoeC8080; 06-21-2014 at 01:55 PM. Reason: typo...
post #682 of 1139 Old 06-22-2014, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have a Samsung service technician coming out this week because Samsung doesn't know why my UN65H7150 is dimming itself on dark screens even with Eco off (yet this is an ambient light sensor anyway) and Cinema Black (which seems to be the logical culprit setting.) If you want to test this on your screen, pull up the menu screen and change the channel. You will notice the menu dims on the black screen.
post #683 of 1139 Old 06-23-2014, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legnaz View Post
Dual view glasses are not the same as regular 3d glasses. Supposedly 2 people can watch 2 different programs at the same time.
Well how does one use it? I've tired everything but I can't see a single option anywhere in the TV for enabling Dual View. the glasses just have 1 button to turn it on and off. My wife and I want to watch different channels/apps. Anyone have any success with the H7150?
post #684 of 1139 Old 06-23-2014, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Getting plastic off the bottom edge

I've seen two answers to this and they won't work for me. I have the 65" 7100 from Costco and the bottom plastic is stuck between the black and silver frames on the bottom. It can be pulled off the bottom edge but then it just sticks out from the border between silver and black. It cannot be pulled out by hand or tweezer. It looks to me like the only possible way to remove it is to cut the whole length of it at the bottom with a razor blade. That is crazy. Is that how everyone else has removed it?
post #685 of 1139 Old 06-24-2014, 09:38 AM

The green flashing seems to have stopped. Any others noticing this? I'll check and see if the version was updated later.
post #686 of 1139 Old 06-24-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC8080 View Post
The green flashing seems to have stopped. Any others noticing this? I'll check and see if the version was updated later.
I was noticing the same thing today. Seems like it's been a while since any green flash. Now, with my luck, it'll happen shortly! I had no version update when I checked yesterday.
Mark
post #687 of 1139 Old 06-24-2014, 04:25 PM

Just noticed Samsung has a new firmware on samsung.com its version 1113.1 instead of version 1110.4 Anybody notice the update or green flashes?
post #688 of 1139 Old 06-24-2014, 04:26 PM

So just so everyone knows I tried returning my set for another hoping it had the older firmware on it to avoid the green line crap and they must be making all new ones recently because this brand new set comes with the new software... sigh. So I guess I wouldn't bother trying that route. But I do agree I have not seen the green lines in almost a week... very odd.
post #689 of 1139 Old 06-24-2014, 04:30 PM

Yes there is a new update out 1113
post #690 of 1139 Old 06-24-2014, 06:14 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanitormang View Post
I have a Samsung service technician coming out this week because Samsung doesn't know why my UN65H7150 is dimming itself on dark screens even with Eco off (yet this is an ambient light sensor anyway) and Cinema Black (which seems to be the logical culprit setting.) If you want to test this on your screen, pull up the menu screen and change the channel. You will notice the menu dims on the black screen.
@insanitormang ,

I have the H6300 and have been monitoring this thread for news on the green bar flashing problem and saw your post about the dimming.

Through trial and error I found that the picture mode must be set to MOVIE and eco settings off. Any other picture mode and the dimming occurs. This happens across the current range of Samsung models that I tested in stores. My brother-in-law has last year's model and his also behaves the same way.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by dpaulc; 06-25-2014 at 09:24 PM. Reason: corrected name of picture mode
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page