Official Samsung UNxxH7150 / UNxxH7100AF Owners Thread - Page 31 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #901 of 4702 Old 08-13-2014, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
your money, and yes you should play with the settings.....or after a month calibrate it...

XBOX+XB1=cata1; PS3+4= CHiNGOBLiNG = RUBEN...YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE THE PICTURE!! "SHOE MAKER HOME THEATER"..click..>http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2341067/the-shoemaker-...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHRviLFd0Ro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 4702 Old 08-14-2014, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEMYHDTV View Post
your money, and yes you should play with the settings.....or after a month calibrate it...
Do you think its a bad decision to buy this TV? I am looking for something in the 1300-1800 range and this or the sony I mentioned previously seems like the best options.

A noob question for you. What is the difference between playing with the settings and calibrating it?
post #903 of 4702 Old 08-14-2014, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hey everyone. Please don't kill me for this but i have been searching everywhere for some good calibration settings. I've search google and this forum and can't seem to find any. I am trying to minimize the macro blocking I am seeing on DTV. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

P.S. I have been to the two websites mentioned in this forum. They are awful.

On a side note, why do you think the reviews and information on this TV are so limited? I remember when the f7000 came out and there were reviews and picture settings everywhere.
post #904 of 4702 Old 08-14-2014, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
OK so after a couple days with my TV, these are the settings I have settled on for now. These may change slightly as I tweak things but this should provide a good starting point to set everything to when you take it out of the box. Keep in mind my TV is the 75" 7150 and may be different than other sizes. Mine is a TS01 panel, as I believe all the 75" versions are.

I used both the WOW disk and the Spears & Munsil Disk. I noticed the S&M disk gave me different calibrated Color and Tint values than the WOW disk, so I did all my calibrations with the WOW disk and just cross checked things on the S&M disk. The WOW disk is all you really need.

Picture mode Standard

PICTURE

Backlight 10 (I have the ability to make my viewing room extremely bright all the way to pitch black but 10 seems to be fine for all of it. 7 is the lowest I can go or it starts to look dingy, and above 14 I think is too bright. This TV has a powerful edge light and doesn't need to be maxed out at 20 ever. Also, lowering my backlight prevents flashlighting/clouding)
Contrast 97 (95-100 is good but I can actually see a difference between each step and 97 is the sweet spot)
Brightness 53 (Too much here and it will wash out the black areas)
Sharpness 20 (on the test disk I like 0 sharpness, but in practical usage viewing DirecTV 1080 content 0 looks a little soft in the details but text looks good. I bump it up somewhere between 15-40
Color 46
Tint G43/R57

ADVANCED SETTINGS

Dynamic Contrast High (In real viewing situations, it just makes the blacks better without overly crushing shadow details.
Black Tone Darker (Same as above, you really just have to view some content and switch the options and see what looks best to you.)
Flesh Tone 0
RGB Only Mode Off
Color Space Native
White Balance (haven't fine tuned this yet so all default)
Gamma -1
Motion Lighting Off

PICTURE OPTIONS

Color tone Warm 2
Digital Clean View Auto
MPEG Noise Filter Auto
HDMI Black level Normal
Auto motion Plus Custom
Cinema Black Low

AUTO MOTION PLUS

Blur reduction 5
Judder Reduction 3
LED clear motion Off

Last edited by cirkus; 08-14-2014 at 12:59 PM.
post #905 of 4702 Old 08-14-2014, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirkus View Post
OK so after a couple days with my TV, these are the settings I have settled on for now. These may change slightly as I tweak things but this should provide a good starting point to set everything to when you take it out of the box. Keep in mind my TV is the 75" 7150 and may be different than other sizes. Mine is a TS01 panel, as I believe all the 75" versions are.

I used both the WOW disk and the Spears & Munsil Disk. I noticed the S&M disk gave me different calibrated Color and Tint values than the WOW disk, so I did all my calibrations with the WOW disk and just cross checked things on the S&M disk. The WOW disk is all you really need.

PICTURE

Backlight 10 (I have the ability to make my viewing room extremely bright all the way to pitch black but 10 seems to be fine for all of it. 7 is the lowest I can go or it starts to look dingy, and above 14 I think is too bright. This TV has a powerful edge light and doesn't need to be maxed out at 20 ever. Also, lowering my backlight prevents flashlighting/clouding)
Contrast 97 (95-100 is good but I can actually see a difference between each step and 97 is the sweet spot)
Brightness 53 (Too much here and it will wash out the black areas)
Sharpness 20 (on the test disk I like 0 sharpness, but in practical usage viewing DirecTV 1080 content 0 looks a little soft in the details but text looks good. I bump it up somewhere between 15-40
Color 46
Tint G43/R57

ADVANCED SETTINGS

Dynamic Contrast High (In real viewing situations, it just makes the blacks better without overly crushing shadow details.
Black Tone Darker (Same as above, you really just have to view some content and switch the options and see what looks best to you.)
Flesh Tone 0
RGB Only Mode Off
Color Space Native
White Balance (haven't fine tuned this yet so all default)
Gamma -1
Motion Lighting Off

PICTURE OPTIONS

Color tone Warm 2
Digital Clean View Auto
MPEG Noise Filter Auto
HDMI Black level Normal
Auto motion Plus Custom
Cinema Black Low

AUTO MOTION PLUS

Blur reduction 5
Judder Reduction 3
LED clear motion Off
Which Picture Mode did you use here? (Standard, Dynamic, Movie, etc)
post #906 of 4702 Old 08-14-2014, 12:58 PM

Guess that's an important setting

Standard
post #907 of 4702 Old 08-14-2014, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

for the price NOW, absolutely worth getting.as long it's below 2k better under 1800. An the blocking issue, is off the cable or what ever. It is usually the source an not the tv....and some channels are 720p.

XBOX+XB1=cata1; PS3+4= CHiNGOBLiNG = RUBEN...YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE THE PICTURE!! "SHOE MAKER HOME THEATER"..click..>http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2341067/the-shoemaker-...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHRviLFd0Ro
post #908 of 4702 Old 08-15-2014, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mretrade View Post
I am strongly considering going to costco and buying a 60 inch of these puppies. I just want to make sure I get a samsung panel. I live in NYC so I will probably have to rent a car to get this bad boy and make sure its got a good panel.

I am also considering the Sony 60 inch 850B but think I am going with the Samsung.

I currently have a 42 inch LCD Sammy that I am going to move to my bedroom and put the 60 inch in my new apartment.

You think I am going to be happy with the picture? Picture quality is my first priority.

Also,,, what do I need to do to calibrate it out of the box?

The 60" model of this TV has the sharp panel while the 65" and 55" has the Samsung panel.
post #909 of 4702 Old 08-15-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezwatts View Post
Just picked up the UN75H7150 at Tiger Direct this weekend. Very excited. Haven't bothered with setting much because when I powered up it was queuing for 2hrs to download and apply updates. Hate dynamic and Natural, like Standard, not too enthusiastic about Movie. For now I have taken standard, turned off all of the eco and dimming and set dynamic picture to medium. So I'm on Movie with less flat dull colors. From what I can tell after about 48 hrs of playing, all of the settings on the first picture page do not have significant effects, they are "micro tuners". The big effects come from the advanced menu with color palette and color mode. We shift between Standard and Movie. It is the skin tones that are bugging us, otherwise would stay with Standard. World Cup in EPSN HD was awesome in Natural but I know the trucks on site are pushing certain temps.

We have settled in nicely with the 75" TV. As a TV connected to fiber (FioS) it is fantastic. As a smart hub and web tool, not so much.

My WAP is 320Mb but the TV was sluggish and Wifi connection poor (WAP 15' away), so I now have the TV on a hard-wired gig router to NAS and on 50Mb FioS internet but the apps are slooowww. We watched our first Amazon Prime movie this week and it played perfectly, getting to the movie was slow, movie was great, did not have any compression or SD downgrade during movie. We don't play hard media like DVD or Blu-ray so can't comment. Have never had a green line. Do have, juddering (sp?) where on some fiber shows the movement creates a shadow that is pixelated. Not sure if that's the fiber or the TV.

Here is a chart of the user settings on the UN75H7150, as you can see not much variation in the modes. We have settled on the last column which is a modified Movie mode. Format is yucky even though I aligned columns in my code editor. Sorry.

Video Settings STD Movie Natural Dynamic || Movie
Backlight 14 14 20 20 || 14
Contrast 100 95 100 100 || 95
Brightness 45 45 45 45 || 45
Sharpness 50 20 45 55 || 25
Color 50 50 52 55 || 50
Tint R50 R50 R50 R50 || R50
||
Advanced Settings submenu ||
Dynamic Contrast High Off - - || Med
Black Tone Off Off - - || Off
Flesh Tone 0 0 - - || 0
RGB Only Off Off - - || Off
Color Space Native Auto - - || Native
White Balance - - - - || -
Gamma 0 0 - - || 0
Motion Lighting On Off - - || Off
||
Picture Option submenu ||
Color Tone Std Warm2 Std Cool || Warm2
Dig Clean Auto Auto Auto Auto || Auto
MPEG Noise Auto Auto Auto Auto || Auto
DHDMI Black Normal Normal Normal Normal || Normal
Film Mode Auto2 Auto2 Auto2 Auto2 || Auto2
Auto Motion Std Std Std Std || Std
Cinema Black Low Low Low Low || Low
Attached Files
File Type: txt Samsung_TV_Settings2014.txt (1.3 KB, 104 views)
post #910 of 4702 Old 08-15-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psu85 View Post
The 60" model of this TV has the sharp panel while the 65" and 55" has the Samsung panel.
There is no 60 inch version with a samsung panel? Is this a confirmed fact?
post #911 of 4702 Old 08-15-2014, 02:31 PM

Liked: 10
FWIW I just got a 46" and it's a Samsung panel
post #912 of 4702 Old 08-15-2014, 05:48 PM

If possible, could someone tell me how long the power cord on the 75" model is please.
post #913 of 4702 Old 08-15-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just ordered a UN75H7150 which should arrive next Friday, I'm really hoping I get a good panel. Fingers crossed
post #914 of 4702 Old 08-16-2014, 05:53 AM

tv wont display 3d in any setting other than game mode. there are vertical lines across the screen and the right eye does not pick up an image. anyone experiencing this? i contacted samsung and they said it is a known issue that will be resolved in a firmware update on 8/20
post #915 of 4702 Old 08-16-2014, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
There is no 60 inch version with a samsung panel? Is this a confirmed fact?
From following this thread, the Samsung panel thread and everything I had seen in stores prior to purchasing the 65 inch version, all of the 60" models had the Sharp panel. All of the 55 and 65 sets had the Samsung panel.
post #916 of 4702 Old 08-16-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psu85 View Post
From following this thread, the Samsung panel thread and everything I had seen in stores prior to purchasing the 65 inch version, all of the 60" models had the Sharp panel. All of the 55 and 65 sets had the Samsung panel.
Ugh not sure what to do if this is the case. I may take a costco run to confirm this. I might have to go back to Sony. I don't know if my apartment will fit a 65 inch with out it being crazy big.

I just want a 60 inch samsung/sony led 1080p smart TV with all the bells and whistles. ugh. Buying a TV is difficult these days. Dont want to spend more than 2k.
post #917 of 4702 Old 08-16-2014, 07:55 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Ugh not sure what to do if this is the case. I may take a costco run to confirm this. I might have to go back to Sony. I don't know if my apartment will fit a 65 inch with out it being crazy big.

I just want a 60 inch samsung/sony led 1080p smart TV with all the bells and whistles. ugh. Buying a TV is difficult these days. Dont want to spend more than 2k.
Just wondering, why is everyone so down on the sharp panel? I have a sharp panel with no banding, no flash lighting and minimal clouding. Really don't see any issues at all. Viewing angles suck but that's all LEDs. So whats the big deal??
onpoint likes this.
post #918 of 4702 Old 08-16-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
3d issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer34 View Post
tv wont display 3d in any setting other than game mode. there are vertical lines across the screen and the right eye does not pick up an image. anyone experiencing this? i contacted samsung and they said it is a known issue that will be resolved in a firmware update on 8/20
Hey drummer. I also am having exactly the same 3d display issues with my 65 7150. I get the white lines and no image in the right eye. I switched to game mode as you suggested and everything worked fine. I noticed this on my ps3 first, then I tried the 3d on my ps4 and had the same issue. I tried the 3d image diagnosis on the tv and the 3d pic on that worked fine.
I contacted Samsung support and they said it was an issue with my ps3 and ps4. I don't buy that. Can't see both systems having the same exact problem. Anyways, glad to hear its a firmware issue
post #919 of 4702 Old 08-16-2014, 01:47 PM

Liked: 1
3D Worked Now It Doesn't

Purchased the 55" a little over a week ago. Experimented with a couple of 3D Blu-ray titles and decided the 3D was pretty cool after all.

Now one week later the TV will not display 3D from an HDMI connected player (both a PS3 and a Sony 3D BD player). The self test works as does Netflix 3D streaming.

Have tried 3 different Blu-ray titles, multiple HDMI cables, as well as all of the HDMI inputs on the TV and nothing. Have unplugged the TV for a couple of minutes and done a factory reset from the TV menu. No joy.

The notice pops at the bottom left of the screen as usual saying "3D playback" or whatever but you can't see the 3D menus or after blindly hitting "play" you cannot see an image but you hear sound.

PS: Game mode as mentioned above does produce 3D video. I'm still in my return window. Not impressed.

PPS: Samsung support said I should download and flash the firmware from July available on their support site and wait for a new version within a week. Haven't done this yet.

Last edited by TrustNo; 08-16-2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Updated with Game Mode note
post #920 of 4702 Old 08-16-2014, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

65 owner, was watching LEGO in 3d, at least I thought i was. didn't had the punch so waiting....

post #921 of 4702 Old 08-18-2014, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEMYHDTV View Post
65 owner, was watching LEGO in 3d, at least I thought i was. didn't had the punch so waiting....
So I'm not the only one with 3-D Blue Ray titles. I have the Avengers 3-D disc. It worked fine on my P65ST50 Panny Plasma before it died using my original fat PS3. I have had the 65" 7150 for over a week now. Love the TV, the
3-D demos work fine. The original PS3 HDMI cable won't work with the Samsung. Not a big deal. I used another HDMI cable. Regular Blu-Ray's work fine. The only 3-D disc I have is the Avengers. When I insert the 3-D disc I get a picture with interference across the top of the screen and a series of vertical lines across the screen that flicker on and off and to boot the image is not in 3-D. I have tried HDMI 2,3 and HDMI/DVI port 4. I have rebooted the PS3 and configured it for 3D and the 65 inch TV. Nothing has worked. I was going to go out and buy a new 3D Blu-Ray player. Is it the TV, the Blu-Ray player or the disc.
post #922 of 4702 Old 08-18-2014, 03:18 AM

I'm guessing this issue isn't affecting all 7150's. I have a 75" and the 3D is working great. I watched some 3D Netflix content, and used the 2D-3D conversion for Avatar and Saving Private Ryan and the Golf channel. All looked good.
post #923 of 4702 Old 08-18-2014, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

I have no clue.

post #924 of 4702 Old 08-18-2014, 04:46 AM

Also keen to know why people are so against the Sharp panels? As im also about to pickup the 60"
post #925 of 4702 Old 08-18-2014, 09:51 AM

My tv is only 2 weeks old. The 3d worked fine for the first two movies I watched. Now I can only watch them in game mode. 2d to 3d conversion still works fine in any picture setting, and so do the apps. It's just 3d bluray discs that are affected on my tv. 3d is the one medium that I prefer to use the motion enhancements however so I am not pleased with watching them in game mode. I am willing to wait for Samsung's firmware update later in the week, but if it doesn't fix it, I will probably return the tv. 3d wasn't really a factor in my decision to buy this set but to have an issue this early on makes me wonder what else might go wrong.
post #926 of 4702 Old 08-18-2014, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
i finally finished reading everyones post. i want to thank everyone for their comments. after doing my research i decided to purchase the un75h7150 from bestbuy for $3500. i've had my samsung plasma screen since 2007 and wanted something to give off less heat and i needed the faster hz's. i am very happy with the un75h7150, its connected to my tivo roamio plus and comcast cable card. you dont know how much i hated the comcast's motorola dcx3400 dvr. i purchased a brand new chief pdrub full motion wall mount which swings out like butter smooth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	720p vs 1080p.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	217969  

Samsung UN75H7150 75" LEDTV
Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray player
Onkyo TX-NR828 receiver
Paradigm Monitor 7 v5 floor speakers & CC-190 center
Paradigm Atom v6
SVS PB1-ISD subwoofer/Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #927 of 4702 Old 08-18-2014, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirkus View Post
I'm guessing this issue isn't affecting all 7150's. I have a 75" and the 3D is working great. I watched some 3D Netflix content, and used the 2D-3D conversion for Avatar and Saving Private Ryan and the Golf channel. All looked good.
Are you using a the fat PS3 to watch 3D. I still have no way of knowing if this is a problem between the PS3 and the Samsung or a problem with all 3D Blu-Ray players. The 2D-3D conversion is much different than a true 3D mode between the player and the TV.
post #928 of 4702 Old 08-18-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumulee View Post
i finally finished reading everyones post. i want to thank everyone for their comments. after doing my research i decided to purchase the un75h7150 from bestbuy for $3500. i've had my samsung plasma screen since 2007 and wanted something to give off less heat and i needed the faster hz's. i am very happy with the un75h7150, its connected to my tivo roamio plus and comcast cable card. you dont know how much i hated the comcast's motorola dcx3400 dvr. i purchased a brand new chief pdrub full motion wall mount which swings out like butter smooth.
Man that is sexy.

I am on the hunt for a 65 inch with a samsung screen in NYC. The only bestbuy in Manhattan that is suppose to have it in stock, didnt.

Gonna try a few other local stores after work tonight. Got time warner cable coming to my new apartment tomorrow.
post #929 of 4702 Old 08-18-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw1 View Post
Are you using a the fat PS3 to watch 3D. I still have no way of knowing if this is a problem between the PS3 and the Samsung or a problem with all 3D Blu-Ray players. The 2D-3D conversion is much different than a true 3D mode between the player and the TV.
Just using a sony BR player, the only true 3D content I watched was Netflix3D. But all has worked so far
post #930 of 4702 Old 08-18-2014, 04:50 PM

Liked: 1
I was using a slim PS3 when I first had the problem. Purchased the 6200 Sony BD player and new cable just to eliminate external devices. The Sony BD player didn't solve anything. Still not 3D from HDMI BD player. Multiple discs, multiple cables, two players. My money's on the TV. I think I have a longer return period at BB than the customary 15 days. We'll see.

I too am not a huge 3D advocate but hey now and then would be cool. And I paid for it.

Also, even on my effed up unit streaming 3D works from Netflix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw1 View Post
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
cinemanow , UNxxH7150

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page