Official Samsung UNxxH7150 / UNxxH7100AF Owners Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1531 of 5015 Old 10-15-2014, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Official Samsung UNxxH7150 / UNxxH7100AF Owners Thread

Ok, normal or no? Obviously disregard the light source in the bottom right. It was the loading icon on the game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 5015 Old 10-15-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by brisc0 View Post
Ok, normal or no? Obviously disregard the light source in the bottom right. It was the loading icon on the game.
My 75 inch does not cloud like that, so I would say no.

Does it affect the picture when not a black screen?

I'd love to get my hands on a Blu Monster's Ball.-LilStinky

Refering to a possible release of said movie on BD LOL
post #1533 of 5015 Old 10-15-2014, 04:07 PM

I can't notice when content is playing at all and think the set is gorgeous. I was just curious if this is what people consider bad or normal.
post #1534 of 5015 Old 10-15-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I can't notice when content is playing at all and think the set is gorgeous. I was just curious if this is what people consider bad or normal.
Every panel is different. If it is not affecting your content including dark scenes, might be ok. Guess it boils down to what you will tolerate. It def clouds more than mine, in fact, I don't get clouding, just some flashlight in the lower right.

post #1535 of 5015 Old 10-15-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Yes and no, some panels are worse than others. You will notice it when watching movies such as gravity or any space scenes, or very dark backgrounds. BUT if it doesn't bother you, enjoy your set. That's all that matters.

TV's - Panasonic 55ST60 , Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #1536 of 5015 Old 10-15-2014, 04:53 PM

Well today was 2 days past my Bestbuy return policy but they agreed to have a new one brought out on Saturday and would take away my old one.
post #1537 of 5015 Old 10-15-2014, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post
TH01 or TS01 on the 65" h7150? Got 10 minutes before I buy. Any help?
Picked up my 65h7100 last night, a TH01 made in Mexico.

Spent the day experimenting with previous forum settings and the WOW disk. Still tweaking different modes.

A great picture from antenna, cable and bluray.

Wireless internet is a little slow but workable.

Voice commands work great.

No regrets......................
post #1538 of 5015 Old 10-15-2014, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
This is (unfortunately) to be considered rather normal with LED TV's in general. I have seen many LED TV's that are even much worse that that. I have to say mine does not show such clouding, but that's not considered terrible in the world of LED TV's. I also assume that camera exposure makes it look a little worse on the picture you posted than what you are actually seeing. I'd recommend setting your backlight not too high: 8 is totally fine, and for night time viewing you can go down to 6. That helps further with reducing any clouding effects... Hopefully the replacement you'll get ends up being better anyway...
post #1539 of 5015 Old 10-15-2014, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroTerl View Post
Yeah, that thread has really made me start second guessing. Do I get a 65 plasma with a great picture or a 75 lcd with a so-so picture? If I bought the LCD would I get used to the lack of depth? I have a 60" GT30. Will that keep me from getting used to the 75? Do I really want to give up 10" for a better picture? Will ebola get me before OLED is affordable?

I took a look at a 75H7150 and they also had a 75H6350 which actually looked better, though both looked bad. I'm sure the super crappy live football feed didn't help one bit.
H7150 can produce a very good picture (with proper settings), as Urza stated as well. So don't go just by having a quick look and comparing in a store. All TV's are set to dynamic mode for in-store viewing and offer no good comparison at all. I could make almost any TV look better than sometimes even the top models in a store just by switching it to a more accurate mode (e.g. movie instead of dynamic) and tweaking a couple of basic settings. Now, the F8500 plasma will indeed have better PQ particularly with depth of blacks, but the difference may not be necessarily "drastic", although noticeable... So if you want the best PQ you can get, go with plasma...
post #1540 of 5015 Old 10-16-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Mad View Post
H7150 can produce a very good picture (with proper settings), as Urza stated as well. So don't go just by having a quick look and comparing in a store. All TV's are set to dynamic mode for in-store viewing and offer no good comparison at all. I could make almost any TV look better than sometimes even the top models in a store just by switching it to a more accurate mode (e.g. movie instead of dynamic) and tweaking a couple of basic settings. Now, the F8500 plasma will indeed have better PQ particularly with depth of blacks, but the difference may not be necessarily "drastic", although noticeable... So if you want the best PQ you can get, go with plasma...
I keep wavering back and forth. It doesn't help that I'm in the midst of a remodel and won't be able to commit to a set for another month or so. After I made that post I saw your screenshots in the Vizio thread. Now I'm again leaning towards the 75H7150.

10" is a lot to give up for the plasma, but then the plasma is $1K less too.
post #1541 of 5015 Old 10-16-2014, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urza View Post
Ive seen this on my set, not 10 seconds tho. Mine is like a second or so, then it does what I asked it to. It's like it sticks. Has annoyed me from the start. Nothing is in the way, direct line of site, and still does it.
I actually did some searching (found this via Amazon reviews of all places) and read to turn off the Instant On feature. Once I turned this off, TV is functioning as it should. I think I remember the Instant On feature during the initial set up but didn't think anything of it as I just wanted to get the TV set up so I could start watching. If you have this on maybe try turning it off as it helped me. Thanks for your help.
post #1542 of 5015 Old 10-16-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbe232 View Post
I actually did some searching (found this via Amazon reviews of all places) and read to turn off the Instant On feature. Once I turned this off, TV is functioning as it should. I think I remember the Instant On feature during the initial set up but didn't think anything of it as I just wanted to get the TV set up so I could start watching. If you have this on maybe try turning it off as it helped me. Thanks for your help.

Oh wow, thanks, will try iT!

post #1543 of 5015 Old 10-17-2014, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

By the way, I ended up getting my set replaced... Started noticing a strange thing with the right side of the panel getting brighter than the left, as if LEDs lined up on the right edge were brighter than the ones on the left edge (not light bleed or clouding, just stronger LEDs ). Anyway, I calibrated the new set and here are also those settings, in case they turn out to translate better on some of the sets out there... Note I calibrated the DAY-CAL mode, and this time went for darkest black tone setting, just to see if it helps any with deepest black possible. On that note, the new set measured a great MLL of 0.002 fL! I will probably do some more calibrating on the set later on, but this is what I have settled on so far:

--Picture menu--
Mode: CAL-DAY
Backlight: 8

NOTE re. backlight: 8 is good all-around, but for nighttime 6 is actually enough, and for bright rooms during day one can bump it up to 10 or as needed...

Contrast: 99
Brightness: 47
Sharpness: 0 (if compelled to give a little extra sharpness, one can go to +3 without introducing artifacts, but not beyond that)
Color: 51
Tint: G50/R50

3D submenu: N/A

PIP: N/A

--Advanced settings--
Dynamic contrast: Off (Some may prefer to set it to "low", but for true color accuracy it should be "off")
Black tone: Dark
Flesh tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Custom [see below]
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance: On
Gamma: 0
Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

--Color Space--
Color Space: Custom
Red: Red 49, Green 0, Blue 0
Green: Red 15, Green 49, Blue 0
Blue: Red 0, Green 11, Blue 49
Yellow: Red 53, Green 49, Blue 0
Cyan: Red 0, Green 51, Blue 51
Magenta: Red 48, Green 12, Blue 50

White balance:
2 Point:
R-Offset: -6
G-Offset: -2
B-Offset: -1
R-Gain: +5
G-Gain: -2
B-Gain: -9

10 Point:
10%: Red +48, Green +50, Blue +36
20%: Red +47, Green +44, Blue +50
30%: Red +34, Green +36, Blue +43
40%: Red -27, Green -26, Blue -25
50%: Red -40, Green -38, Blue -34
60%: Red -31, Green -29, Blue -26
70%: Red -24, Green -20, Blue -16
80%: Red -13, Green -9, Blue -9
90%: Red -7, Green -4, Blue -4
100%: Red -2, Green 0, Blue 0

--Picture options--
Color tone: Warm2
Digital Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Low / Normal (depending on source - cable box is good on "low", BluRay will usually be "normal")
Film mode: Auto 2
Auto Motion Plus: Clear
Cinema Black: High

Auto Motion Plus submenu ("clear" actually works well, but if customized I use these settings):
Blur reduction: 10
Judder reduction: 2
LED Clear Motion: Off

Some have been asking for a setting for sports, that has extra "pop". For that, no other picture mode (like "standard") is actually needed, and one can get the extra "pop" by just cranking up backlight as high as preferred (say 16) and setting dynamic contrast (in advanced settings) to "high"... Not that this is advisable from the calibration standpoint, but for those who may prefer it for sports...

Last edited by Z-Mad; 11-09-2014 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Settled on final brightness and black tone setting after a while of testing...
post #1544 of 5015 Old 10-17-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 48
z-mad, does your set not have a smart led option, basically local dimming? Also, I find black crush using any of the black tone settings - have to use off to prevent it. Lowering gamma to -1 otoh appears to not lose the detail, just darken it further.
post #1545 of 5015 Old 10-17-2014, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
z-mad, does your set not have a smart led option, basically local dimming? Also, I find black crush using any of the black tone settings - have to use off to prevent it. Lowering gamma to -1 otoh appears to not lose the detail, just darken it further.
The H7150 does not have the Smart LED option, only Samsung's hardware based dimming schemes (edge-lit local dimming) have it like your F8000. The H7150 has frame dimming and that's controlled by the Dynamic Contrast option for this television.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
Vizio SB4051-C0 Soundbar w/wireless Subwoofer
post #1546 of 5015 Old 10-18-2014, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
As venus explained, H7150 unfortunately does not have the hardware based local dimming (smart LED), which is reserved for last year's F8000 or this year's H8000 (which I would have considered if it wasn't curved ). We have only software based pixel enhancer that is engaged with the dynamic contrast setting.

I can't say that I am seeing crushed blacks with the black tone setting, but that naturally has to do with the gamma calibration and final brightness setting (you may notice my lower end grayscale 10-30% is set high as in that range the TV does have the tendency of too high gamma, and if not corrected could indeed crush dark detail)...

As mentioned, this is just a first pass at DAY-CAL to get the new set ready for viewing, and I do intend to play with some options a little more - certainly may try different gamma options, etc. Actually, I plan on trying even +1 gamma to help lower the gamma in that lower end of the grayscale, expectedly having to therefore raise the gamma in the upper end in the 10-p grayscale settings. I'll see how that works out... Certainly could try the -1 gamma as well, but I'm afraid that might get the lower end gamma rally too high... Let's see
post #1547 of 5015 Old 10-18-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
By the way, I ended up getting my set replaced... Started noticing a strange thing with the right side of the panel getting brighter than the left, as if LEDs lined up on the right edge were brighter than the ones on the left edge (not light bleed or clouding, just stronger LEDs ). Anyway, I calibrated the new set and here are also those settings, in case they turn out to translate better on some of the sets out there... Note I calibrated the DAY-CAL mode, and this time went for darkest black tone setting, just to see if it helps any with deepest black possible. On that note, the new set measured a great MLL of 0.002 fL! I will probably do some more calibrating on the set later on, but this is what I have settled on so far:

--Picture menu--
Mode: CAL-DAY
Backlight: 8

NOTE re. backlight: 8 is good all-around, but for nighttime 6 is actually enough, and for bright rooms during day one can bump it up to 10 or as needed...

Contrast: 99
Brightness: 47 or 48

NOTE regarding brightness: Different inputs/sources seem to need some individual brightness adjustment. My Blu-Ray is automatically set to "normal" HDMI black level (in picture options) and 48 is correct brightness for it. My ATT U-verse box is set to "low" HDMI black level and best brightness setting for it is 47. So depending on source, some tweaking may be needed, and 47 or 48 is a good starting point...

Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50

3D submenu: N/A

PIP: N/A

--Advanced settings--
Dynamic contrast: Off (Some may prefer to set it to "low", but for true color accuracy it should be "off")
Black tone: Darkest
Flesh tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Custom [see below]
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance: On
Gamma: 0
Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

--Color Space--
Color Space: Custom
Red: Red 49, Green 0, Blue 0
Green: Red 15, Green 49, Blue 0
Blue: Red 0, Green 11, Blue 49
Yellow: Red 53, Green 49, Blue 0
Cyan: Red 0, Green 51, Blue 51
Magenta: Red 48, Green 12, Blue 50

White balance:
2 Point:
R-Offset: -6
G-Offset: -2
B-Offset: -1
R-Gain: +5
G-Gain: -2
B-Gain: -9

10 Point:
10%: Red +48, Green +50, Blue +36
20%: Red +47, Green +44, Blue +50
30%: Red +34, Green +36, Blue +43
40%: Red -27, Green -26, Blue -25
50%: Red -40, Green -38, Blue -34
60%: Red -31, Green -29, Blue -26
70%: Red -24, Green -20, Blue -16
80%: Red -13, Green -9, Blue -9
90%: Red -7, Green -4, Blue -4
100%: Red -2, Green 0, Blue 0

--Picture options--
Color tone: Warm2
Digital Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Low / Normal (depending on source - this will effect the needed brightness setting)
Film mode: Auto 2
Auto Motion Plus: Clear
Cinema Black: High

Auto Motion Plus submenu ("clear" actually works well, but if customized I use these settings):
Blur reduction: 10
Judder reduction: 2
LED Clear Motion: Off

Some have been asking for a setting for sports, that has extra "pop". For that, no other picture mode (like "standard") is actually needed, and one can get the extra "pop" by just cranking up backlight as high as preferred (say 16) and setting dynamic contrast (in advanced settings) to "high"... Not that this is advisable from the calibration standpoint, but for those who may prefer it for sports...
Hey Z on the right side of my set esp closer to the edge it is brighter than other parts of the set, is this the same thing? does not show with content, just pure black screens, loading screen on games, etc.
post #1548 of 5015 Old 10-18-2014, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I had a new update install - 2120.3. Does anyone have any idea on what has been fixed? I guess Samsung like to hide what they are changing.... HU9000 also had an update (**Official Samsung UHD Curved UNxxHU9000 Owners Thread ** ) and I'm wondering if the changes would be the same.
post #1549 of 5015 Old 10-19-2014, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm also having the he same questions. I really wish hey would fix the performance of the TV because mine lags every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottypa View Post
I had a new update install - 2120.3. Does anyone have any idea on what has been fixed? I guess Samsung like to hide what they are changing.... HU9000 also had an update (**Official Samsung UHD Curved UNxxHU9000 Owners Thread ** ) and I'm wondering if the changes would be the same.
post #1550 of 5015 Old 10-19-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottypa View Post
You can always look at Samsung's website where release notes (such as they are) are listed....
njerald likes this.
post #1551 of 5015 Old 10-19-2014, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDFan1970 View Post
You can always look at Samsung's website where release notes (such as they are) are listed....
  1. Title 1. This firmware is for TV Model(s): LED H5500/H6300/H6350/H6400/H7100/H7150
  2. The version is 2120.3
  3. This firmware update will improve the following:

- Improved browser performance

- Improved app performance

- Improved stability2. Applicable Model 3. Carrier or Corporate Customer
  4. Description
post #1552 of 5015 Old 10-19-2014, 02:31 PM

While my last panel was "mostly cloudy" I am happy to report that the new one is only "Partly Cloudy". One patch on the top right and I'm satisfied to deal with it. Love this set.

Again, ideal PQ for me is HDMI 4 renamed to PC with everything off, backlight 9, Warm2, and cinema black high
post #1553 of 5015 Old 10-19-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is (unfortunately) to be considered rather normal with LED TV's in general. I have seen many LED TV's that are even much worse that that. I have to say mine does not show such clouding, but that's not considered terrible in the world of LED TV's. I also assume that camera exposure makes it look a little worse on the picture you posted than what you are actually seeing. I'd recommend setting your backlight not too high: 8 is totally fine, and for night time viewing you can go down to 6. That helps further with reducing any clouding effects... Hopefully the replacement you'll get ends up being better anyway...
Well, I lied, I have clouding.

It was the first time I watched a movie in the dark, which would explain things.I have about as much as the last pic that was posted. Not sure if I want to swap it, since you don't know what you are going to get in return. I don't want to be that guy that swaps TV after TV. Does not appear to affect content except you see the 4 corner's having the usual brightness.

The TV is under two lights, and when those are on, no clouding, so am I being to picky demanding less or no clouding in the dark?

Hmmm what to do.

Last edited by Urza; 10-19-2014 at 07:52 PM.
post #1554 of 5015 Old 10-19-2014, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey guys, I've been lurking here for a bit as I am looking for something to replace my old HP 5820md DLP. I think I've decided on a un75h7150, but I just wanted to ask the owners....Would you buy this TV right now? Or is something else coming out you would wait for? This TV is currently $3999 cdn, with Samsung paying the taxes. I was looking at the Sharp 80" UQ, but I can't justify another $1500 for 5".
post #1555 of 5015 Old 10-20-2014, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 170
the 75 1750 is probably the best bang for your buck 70+ with great PQ and great 3D picture. I looked at it briefly when I had to replace a set but I didn't want to pay the extra money so I went with the 70" passive LG. But as a 3D fan I heard the 7150 had very good active 3D.

Main room (3D bluray, PS4, WiiU) LG 70LB7100: Denon x4000, Klipsch RC-62II, RF-62II x2, RS-41II x2, SVS PC-12NSD + Klipsch RW12d
Downstairs (PS3, Xbox 360) Panny L55ET5: Demon 1712, Polk CS10, R300 x2, t15 x2, PSW10
post #1556 of 5015 Old 10-20-2014, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 33
For those with clouding may I suggest:

Take a microfiber cloth.

Fold it into a square.

Wipe your set from top to bottom.

Use a little pressure when wiping.

I don't own this set but own the ES8000 series and used this method and was able to wipe most of the clouding away.

This helped some with the little flashlighting I had also

Sent from my G2 via Tapatalk
post #1557 of 5015 Old 10-20-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post
For those with clouding may I suggest:

Take a microfiber cloth.

Fold it into a square.

Wipe your set from top to bottom.

Use a little pressure when wiping.

I don't own this set but own the ES8000 series and used this method and was able to wipe most of the clouding away.

This helped some with the little flashlighting I had also

Sent from my G2 via Tapatalk
I don't understand how this would make a difference. Can you explain it?
post #1558 of 5015 Old 10-20-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroTerl View Post
I don't understand how this would make a difference. Can you explain it?

I've seen this recommended on the forums before. Something about the pressure, not sure the details.

post #1559 of 5015 Old 10-20-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't understand how rubbing glass can have a permanent effect. Yes, rubbing will create static electricity which may have an impact but it would be temporary. If you rubbed hard enough you could damage the coating, obviously not something we would want and why the "use little pressure".

Urban myth maybe?
post #1560 of 5015 Old 10-20-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Received my UN65H7150 today morning and its a TH01 panel.

Will play around with the settings when I get back home from work today.

Anyone got any good calibration settings for the 65" model? Or should I start off with Z-Mad settings (which were for the 75") as they should be pretty close? All my content are played mostly from Netflix or Blu-Ray and hence no cable.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
cinemanow , UNxxH7150

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page