What would you call this? Should I return this TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-26-2014, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I noticed these Brighter sots in the middle of the screen. They are really only visible during bright scenes in shows.. anyone shed some light?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-26-2014, 01:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Looks like uneven backlighting. Not real unusual. If it is that noticeable to you, swap it out for another, but ask if the replacement can be brought up and powered up before the current one leaves in case the replacement is worse. wink.gif

(Yes, it happened to me more than once, but not recently, the replacement was worse than what I already had)

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-29-2014, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 361
I've seen many other posts and the same type pictures in recent various Sony and other threads here at AVS they refer to those as blobs in the panel

I'm not an expert but I think they are (probably air gaps between the optical film , Polarizing film ,LCD Module ,or light guide path layers ) and if that's the case they could get worse .

Lot's of posters here have successfully returned their sets to either the retailers or Sony for exchange for this some folks had to do more than one exchange or even a different model ( could be batch defects ? or shipping /handling damage ? ) . From what I have read here and what it looks like to me I believe it may be a panel defect.

The quality control on some of these panels lately could be better many of the companies are having profitability issues
so what's the the first thing to decline? ............ You guessed it! eek.gif

I have a 2013 Sony and a 2013 LG neither one have that if they did they would go back straight away!

Like videobruce says some are worse than others most panels don't have any of those ? They could be harmless but I wouldn't take a chance on the long term especially if I could see them when watching TV screw that!. If I had one of those and they didn't make it right they could expect a size 12 EEE where the sun doesn't shine !biggrin.gif

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #4 of 11 Old 04-29-2014, 03:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
I've seen many other posts and the same type pictures in recent various Sony and other threads here at AVS they refer to those as blobs in the panel
Are you sure youi aren't talking about Sony's LCoS RPTV's with their "green blobs"?
A search under RPTV turned up almost 900 threads typing in "green blob".
Look up uneven backlighting and/or edge lit LCD's.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-29-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Are you sure youi aren't talking about Sony's LCoS RPTV's with their "green blobs"?
A search under RPTV turned up almost 900 threads typing in "green blob".
Look up uneven backlighting and/or edge lit LCD's.

No that's an issue I am not familiar with. I skipped RPTV 's altogether for some of what are now obvious reasons .I never thought hot light bulbs and mirrors in a TV were altogether good ideas . My first HD set was a heavyweight CRT Sony 36" FD HD Wega XBR .

I went from CRT's to LCD's both CCFL and LED and also Plasma . . I have both edge lit and backlit LED/LCD panels as well as CCFL back light and Plasma

I'm familiar with uneven back lighting on LCD panels (at least in the corners ) the picture above does not look at all like uneven back lighting * to me although that's certainly not impossible , I'm not an expert but to me it looks like it *could be panel film layer separations/air gaps maybe from assembly defects,faulty materials , or possibly a result of shipping and handling damage .

A lot of the posts I referred to are very recent here at AVS in the Sony (and maybe some other owners threads perhaps Visio aslo ? ) and cover 2012,and mostly 2013 and 2014 LED /LCD panels

IIRC the Sony 50 ,60 and 70 KDL R550A models may be some that were affected and some of the newer 2013 2014 W series sets .
some of those threads will have these panel issues .

The "white blob spots " *may be* more common but not necessarily limited to the LGD edge lit panels that are becoming common on a lot of sets including Sony's and maybe Visio's now .

regards

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #6 of 11 Old 04-29-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Why not ask the OP to provide the make/model/year of the TV in question and avoid all of the questioning. smile.gif

And... Sony called LCoS ... SXRD. biggrin.gif
post #7 of 11 Old 04-29-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Why not ask the OP to provide the make/model/year of the TV in question and avoid all of the questioning. smile.gif

And... Sony called LCoS ... SXRD. biggrin.gif

friend of mine bought a 55" LCoS ... SXRD. in 2005 I think...... the picture was decent

Only thing is Sony and many others use LGD and *other panels so it's probably not Limited to Sony's OTOH I don't usually read LG and Visio threads
ofc if Sony is buying the panels without back lights and providing their own back lights and they have issues causing the white blobs sometimes it could be a Sony thing ?biggrin.gif

maybe the OP will post back?

post #8 of 11 Old 04-29-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 285
LCoS and SXRD are not "direct view" TV's. Therefore... no CCFL or LED backlighting. It's a projection display.
Again, it's probably best to obtain the make/model of the OP's TV rather than tossing around assumptions. wink.gif
post #9 of 11 Old 04-29-2014, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

LCoS and SXRD are not "direct view" TV's. Therefore... no CCFL or LED backlighting. It's a projection display.
Again, it's probably best to obtain the make/model of the OP's TV rather than tossing around assumptions. wink.gif

I figured it was a Sony or Visio they both use LGD and Sharp panels . I believe some of the the LGD panels have been having issues.

Who said anything about LCoS / SXRD being direct view sets ?...... Oh video Bruce mentioned them briefly maybe that's what you meant?
I mentioned a friend bought one in 2005 . Are there still any of those things left working ?

If the OP had one of those it would probably not be working anyway by now .

Sony and others sometime purchase bare (No backlight LCD panels ) and provide their own (or outsourced ) LED back light assemblies
sometimes (more often ) they purchase compete panels with back lights that could also be an issue ?.

post #10 of 11 Old 04-29-2014, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Sorry, was on a business leave. The TV is a Vizio E60li-A3 model. I contacted Vizio, and they sent out a ten to check it out. found it was a panel defect. I get a call 2 days later from Vizio saying that their repair team said there was nothing wrong with the TV. I rose a little Hell with the repair team on why they were telling 2 different things. Called Vizio again and they said they were going to send the pictures Is net them to their warehouse. Hoping to get this replaced. The blobs are way too visible. Honestly, Vizio was really terrible with customer service. This last guy finally seemed to get my frustration, so I will keep everyone updated on what they say. Hope for the best!

post #11 of 11 Old 04-29-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Good luck it's clearly a defective panel .I believe the E60li-A3 is either supplied with a Sharp IPS RGB edge lit panel or a LGD IPS panel (Visio uses both suppliers ).Sony changed the panel suppliers in a lot of their 2014 models and and went with AUO MVA panels in a lot of their sets good move IMO.

A lot of the Sony 2013 KDL XX R550/520 series sets and maybe others with similar panels were having the exact same problems. Sony has exchanged or replaced quite a few sets for that in the last year . It'a a popular topic of conversation in this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460590/official-2013-sony-r550a-series-tvs-kdl-xxr550a-50-60-and-70 personally I usually prefer Samsung or AUO panels .

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page