Ultra-D Glasses-Free 3D TV Hands-On Experience - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #91 of 118 Old 05-20-2014, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
They just might miss out if this isn't released to the masses soon. There are a few other companies out there with a similar technology that should be hitting the market in the next year or 2. Ultra-D 3D had the edge, but as we all know the tortoise can surpass the hare given enough time.

I have a feeling that whoever teams up with the big names brands such as Sony, Samsung, LG etc. will be the winning tech. I wonder if Vizio has something up their sleeve for next years models. I find it very strange that they basically dumped 3d altogether with this years models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 118 Old 05-28-2014, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Did the prototype have a glossy or matte screen? Do Ultra D TVs by nature will have a certain reflectivity (or not)? I assume there will be an overlay of some sort, right?
post #93 of 118 Old 05-28-2014, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked: 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

Did the prototype have a glossy or matte screen? Do Ultra D TVs by nature will have a certain reflectivity (or not)? I assume there will be an overlay of some sort, right?

I'm working on an update to this article, give me a day or two...

Quick answer—the screen was glossy. Ultra-D is a layer in the panel's optical stack.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #94 of 118 Old 05-28-2014, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, imagic. And thank you very much for your informative and detailed postings. I look forward to your update.
post #95 of 118 Old 06-05-2014, 05:10 PM

Liked: 14
Any new updates? Since this thread was started over a month ago, we've heard nothing new from Ultra-D or its partners. I'm starting to get somewhat more skeptical that this is anywhere near ready for production. Sadly, the only info that seems to be available and remotely useful is what you've been sharing, Mark.
post #96 of 118 Old 06-05-2014, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGriddle View Post

Any new updates? Since this thread was started over a month ago, we've heard nothing new from Ultra-D or its partners. I'm starting to get somewhat more skeptical that this is anywhere near ready for production. Sadly, the only info that seems to be available and remotely useful is what you've been sharing, Mark.

Yes I have a significant update coming; it's already written, it'll be online on Monday. I gave back the TV last week. As I handed it to Leo Riley from StreamTV, I asked when real product would be on store shelves. He said Q4 2014, or Q1 2015, and that I'd get a chance to see a pre-production unit before that. 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #97 of 118 Old 06-05-2014, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 64
So the effect is glasses free but you'd have to time travel to tbe future to see it? Seems like a lot of trouble if you ask me. I guess I'll go fire up the DeLorean. Now that was Q4 2014 or Q1 2015 for sure right...no more delays? I'll have to set the date since I haven't gone anywhere since 1985...and I'd hate to arrrive in the future just to find it's been delayed again

post #98 of 118 Old 06-05-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

So the effect is glasses free but you'd have to time travel to tbe future to see it? Seems like a lot of trouble if you ask me. I guess I'll go fire up the DeLorean. Now that was Q4 2014 or Q1 2015 for sure right...no more delays? I'll have to set the date since I haven't gone anywhere since 1985...and I'd hate to arrrive in the future just to find it's been delayed again

Dont go too far, your family and friends might be dead. On a positive note, you can watch ALL the Marvel movies for the next hundred years in one binge session. Of course with purported global warming you will be watching from an underground bunker somewhere under the pacific ocean. We might evolve a different type of vision in the dark with echo location though... "3D" might be a series of clicks and buzzes.

Good luck!
ControlZ likes this.

Blazar!
post #99 of 118 Old 06-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

Dont go too far, your family and friends might be dead. On a positive note, you can watch ALL the Marvel movies for the next hundred years in one binge session. Of course with purported global warming you will be watching from an underground bunker somewhere under the pacific ocean. We might evolve a different type of vision in the dark with echo location though... "3D" might be a series of clicks and buzzes.

Good luck!

Thanks, but I won't go more than a year into the future. I like to live in the here and now (as much as possible). Plus, as a techie who likes to have the latest gadgets it can be a dangerous addiction. And have you ever read the book or seen the movie "The Time Machine"? You never want to go too far into the future...though 8K glasses free OLED IS tempting

post #100 of 118 Old 06-06-2014, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18

It's a bit difficult to believe. We heard it would be released to the market in the end of last year, after that we were told that it would be the beginning of this year, and now is going to be Q4 2014 or Q1 2015. Let's hope this time they make it. Well there is a good thing we can take from this, while we wait we can take a look at the glasses free projector. Maybe it have a better image with a bigger screen at lower prices.

If you go to the future, test them both and tell us something. And bring me the numbers of the lottery too, because I might need the money to bought one of those things. 

post #101 of 118 Old 06-06-2014, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTmen View Post

It's a bit difficult to believe. We heard it would be released to the market in the end of last year, after that we were told that it would be the beginning of this year, and now is going to be Q4 2014 or Q1 2015. Let's hope this time they make it. Well there is a good thing we can take from this, while we wait we can take a look at the glasses free projector. Maybe it have a better image with a bigger screen at lower prices.

If you go to the future, test them both and tell us something. And bring me the numbers of the lottery too, because I might need the money to bought one of those things. 

That's kind of how it goes with new products and new technologies.

I can't predict the future, but I can post an graphic illustrating the so-called "hype cycle."

post #102 of 118 Old 06-06-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I asked when real product would be on store shelves. He said Q4 2014, or Q1 2015, and that I'd get a chance to see a pre-production unit before that. 

Thanks for the update, but now I am officially sad. frown.gif
post #103 of 118 Old 06-06-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:Originally Posted by McGriddle 
 Quote:Originally Posted by imagic 

I asked when real product would be on store shelves. He said Q4 2014, or Q1 2015, and that I'd get a chance to see a pre-production unit before that. 

Thanks for the update, but now I am officially sad.

Here's my full update...

Two Months With an Ultra-D TV

Last edited by imagic; 06-29-2014 at 08:32 AM.
post #104 of 118 Old 06-29-2014, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Here's my full update...

For some reason I cannot open the link. It just opens up to a blank page.
post #105 of 118 Old 06-29-2014, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
For some reason I cannot open the link. It just opens up to a blank page.
That must have something to do with the AVS platform switch that occurred a couple weeks back. It's fixed.

post #106 of 118 Old 08-25-2014, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I just talked to Leo from StreamTV and found out a few things...

The development prototype still processes everything, even when ostensibly in 2D mode—all it does is turn the 3D factor down to zero. In the final shipping products, 2D content will pass through untouched. Also, shipping TVs will have full 4K display capability, unlike the prototypes.
I remember in another article you had mentioned the Ultra D 3d TV's wouldn't be able to do 4k in 2D so avoid them if you aren't avid 3d fan... am I mistaken after reading this that's no longer the case? Pretty cool.

Having seen both, if you had to choose *one* would you buy an HDR TV or an ultra D 3D? I'm thinking about getting the 65" Vizio R series this winter but might hold out to get an ultra D 3d tv that could do both HDR and Ultra D 3D... you wouldn't happen to know of any manufacturers planning to do both on one TV would ya?

The 65" R series would be very pricey for me and I think it was mentioned here that the Ultra D 3d tv's will be premium priced. I have a kid on the way so I'm worried that if I don't get a TV before March, then I might not get one until the kid's done with school (haha... kidding... maybe). Please TV's do cool stuff this X-mas.
post #107 of 118 Old 08-26-2014, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
I remember in another article you had mentioned the Ultra D 3d TV's wouldn't be able to do 4k in 2D so avoid them if you aren't avid 3d fan... am I mistaken after reading this that's no longer the case? Pretty cool.

Having seen both, if you had to choose *one* would you buy an HDR TV or an ultra D 3D? I'm thinking about getting the 65" Vizio R series this winter but might hold out to get an ultra D 3d tv that could do both HDR and Ultra D 3D... you wouldn't happen to know of any manufacturers planning to do both on one TV would ya?

The 65" R series would be very pricey for me and I think it was mentioned here that the Ultra D 3d tv's will be premium priced. I have a kid on the way so I'm worried that if I don't get a TV before March, then I might not get one until the kid's done with school (haha... kidding... maybe). Please TV's do cool stuff this X-mas.
Since I reviewed that prototype I have not heard a single thing from StreamTV. I'll follow up, but right now I'd say don't hold your breath. At this point I think it's necessary to wait until CES to see if the technology is going to move forward.

I have heard nothing about HDR and glasses-free 3D at the same time. Dolby has working examples of both technologies, so it's possible. Maybe after Avator 2 comes out?

I'll send an email and see if there is any new news.
gamermwm likes this.

Last edited by imagic; 08-26-2014 at 05:22 AM.
post #108 of 118 Old 08-26-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Since I reviewed that prototype I have not heard a single thing from StreamTV. I'll follow up, but right now I'd say don't hold your breath. At this point I think it's necessary to wait until CES to see if the technology is going to move forward.

I have heard nothing about HDR and glasses-free 3D at the same time. Dolby has working examples of both technologies, so it's possible. Maybe after Avator 2 comes out?

I'll send an email and see if there is any new news.
Thanks Mark... much appreciated. That makes me wonder if material might not be simultaneously graded for HDR and 3D converted with Atmos all together for a while? Hopefully there won't be like the "HDR version", the "Atmos Version"/ having to pick between the two. I guess we'll probably find out in 20 weeks... haha.
post #109 of 118 Old 08-28-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Since I reviewed that prototype I have not heard a single thing from StreamTV. I'll follow up, but right now I'd say don't hold your breath...
I thought Ultra D was planned to be released 4Q or 1Q 2015. Since 4Q is right around the corner and we still haven't heard anything, count me as being officially disillusioned.

Where is Mathu Rajan? He's not cracking jokes around here anymore, is he? What a clown he turned out to be.
mo949 likes this.

Last edited by Apostate; 08-28-2014 at 03:51 PM.
post #110 of 118 Old 08-28-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post
I thought Ultra D was planned to be released 4Q or 1Q 2015. Since 4Q is right around the corner and we still haven't heard anything, count me as being officially disillusioned.

Where is Mathu Rajan? He's not cracking jokes around here anymore, is he? What a clown he turned out to be.
There is no way Ultra D is ready for even a Q1 2015 launch. They've also made no new press releases since April.
post #111 of 118 Old 08-30-2014, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I found a web page from them that I had never seen before. The problem with it is that half the links in there don't work.
http://movebeyond3d.com/
post #112 of 118 Old 08-31-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGriddle View Post
They've also made no new press releases since April.
You know, that actually might be a good thing. I know in finance, firms go into "quiet period" or "blackout period" before a major announcement.

The new website, movebeyond3D, is a good sign too. At least there is some movement in the marketing front. Maybe there is some progress made after all.

I think you are right. Even 1Q 2015 seem too ambitious. I don't know the relationship between marketing schedule and actual production schedule but I would have guessed at least some marketing to "prep" the consumers would have come out by now.
post #113 of 118 Old 09-01-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post
You know, that actually might be a good thing. I know in finance, firms go into "quiet period" or "blackout period" before a major announcement.

The new website, movebeyond3D, is a good sign too. At least there is some movement in the marketing front. Maybe there is some progress made after all.

I think you are right. Even 1Q 2015 seem too ambitious. I don't know the relationship between marketing schedule and actual production schedule but I would have guessed at least some marketing to "prep" the consumers would have come out by now.
Hope you are right/wrong... I'm on a somewhat limited timetable with the kid on the way (haha). I guess we'll find out soon though.
post #114 of 118 Old 09-04-2014, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Simon Ford, European Sales Manager at Stream TV Networks, e-mailed me to say that they'll have a 50" fully-integrated (Qualcomm SoC) Ultra-D TV on display at IBC in Amsterdam next week. I'll post further details when I'm back from IFA (at which they're not attending).
post #115 of 118 Old 09-05-2014, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've been following this companies ultraD tech for a while, and it seems as soon as they think it is ready something new comes along. They have gone from the Seecube to the SoC Qualcomm solution. Maybe now they will delay things to incorporate OLED into their panels?

I personally am champing at the bit to actually see one of these sets in the flesh to see what the fuss is about!
post #116 of 118 Old 09-10-2014, 12:05 AM

From looking at movebeyond3d.com, they seem to be on a tour publisising their SoC solution in Asia.

Tannoy mercury v4 fronts, Dali Zensor 1 rears, Kef IQ2c centre with a Maudaunt Short Alumni 6 sub. Philips 47pfl6007 with 2 sided ambilight and modded firmware motion -pixel precise to pixel perfect.

Sony s760 bluray player, fat PS3, Virgin TIVO and OpenELEC 4.1.5 HTPC on a HP Microserver N54L with 4tb storage and 6gb RAM.
post #117 of 118 Old 09-24-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabotsonline View Post
Simon Ford, European Sales Manager at Stream TV Networks, e-mailed me to say that they'll have a 50" fully-integrated (Qualcomm SoC) Ultra-D TV on display at IBC in Amsterdam next week. I'll post further details when I'm back from IFA (at which they're not attending).
Any update from IBC regarding these sets? How are they looking?

Tannoy mercury v4 fronts, Dali Zensor 1 rears, Kef IQ2c centre with a Maudaunt Short Alumni 6 sub. Philips 47pfl6007 with 2 sided ambilight and modded firmware motion -pixel precise to pixel perfect.

Sony s760 bluray player, fat PS3, Virgin TIVO and OpenELEC 4.1.5 HTPC on a HP Microserver N54L with 4tb storage and 6gb RAM.
post #118 of 118 Old 09-28-2014, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulgartrendkill View Post
From looking at movebeyond3d.com, they seem to be on a tour publisising their SoC solution in Asia.
StreamTV did tell me that it would address the Asian market before the US market.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page