Ultra-D Glasses-Free 3D TV Hands-On Experience - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 105 Old 05-20-2014, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
They just might miss out if this isn't released to the masses soon. There are a few other companies out there with a similar technology that should be hitting the market in the next year or 2. Ultra-D 3D had the edge, but as we all know the tortoise can surpass the hare given enough time.

I have a feeling that whoever teams up with the big names brands such as Sony, Samsung, LG etc. will be the winning tech. I wonder if Vizio has something up their sleeve for next years models. I find it very strange that they basically dumped 3d altogether with this years models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 105 Old 05-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Did the prototype have a glossy or matte screen? Do Ultra D TVs by nature will have a certain reflectivity (or not)? I assume there will be an overlay of some sort, right?
post #93 of 105 Old 05-28-2014, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 1729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

Did the prototype have a glossy or matte screen? Do Ultra D TVs by nature will have a certain reflectivity (or not)? I assume there will be an overlay of some sort, right?

I'm working on an update to this article, give me a day or two...

Quick answer—the screen was glossy. Ultra-D is a layer in the panel's optical stack.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #94 of 105 Old 05-28-2014, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Thanks for the quick reply, imagic. And thank you very much for your informative and detailed postings. I look forward to your update.
post #95 of 105 Old 06-05-2014, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Any new updates? Since this thread was started over a month ago, we've heard nothing new from Ultra-D or its partners. I'm starting to get somewhat more skeptical that this is anywhere near ready for production. Sadly, the only info that seems to be available and remotely useful is what you've been sharing, Mark.
post #96 of 105 Old 06-05-2014, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGriddle View Post

Any new updates? Since this thread was started over a month ago, we've heard nothing new from Ultra-D or its partners. I'm starting to get somewhat more skeptical that this is anywhere near ready for production. Sadly, the only info that seems to be available and remotely useful is what you've been sharing, Mark.

Yes I have a significant update coming; it's already written, it'll be online on Monday. I gave back the TV last week. As I handed it to Leo Riley from StreamTV, I asked when real product would be on store shelves. He said Q4 2014, or Q1 2015, and that I'd get a chance to see a pre-production unit before that. 

post #97 of 105 Old 06-05-2014, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 55
So the effect is glasses free but you'd have to time travel to tbe future to see it? Seems like a lot of trouble if you ask me. I guess I'll go fire up the DeLorean. Now that was Q4 2014 or Q1 2015 for sure right...no more delays? I'll have to set the date since I haven't gone anywhere since 1985...and I'd hate to arrrive in the future just to find it's been delayed again

post #98 of 105 Old 06-05-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post

So the effect is glasses free but you'd have to time travel to tbe future to see it? Seems like a lot of trouble if you ask me. I guess I'll go fire up the DeLorean. Now that was Q4 2014 or Q1 2015 for sure right...no more delays? I'll have to set the date since I haven't gone anywhere since 1985...and I'd hate to arrrive in the future just to find it's been delayed again

Dont go too far, your family and friends might be dead. On a positive note, you can watch ALL the Marvel movies for the next hundred years in one binge session. Of course with purported global warming you will be watching from an underground bunker somewhere under the pacific ocean. We might evolve a different type of vision in the dark with echo location though... "3D" might be a series of clicks and buzzes.

Good luck!
ControlZ likes this.

Blazar!
post #99 of 105 Old 06-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

Dont go too far, your family and friends might be dead. On a positive note, you can watch ALL the Marvel movies for the next hundred years in one binge session. Of course with purported global warming you will be watching from an underground bunker somewhere under the pacific ocean. We might evolve a different type of vision in the dark with echo location though... "3D" might be a series of clicks and buzzes.

Good luck!

Thanks, but I won't go more than a year into the future. I like to live in the here and now (as much as possible). Plus, as a techie who likes to have the latest gadgets it can be a dangerous addiction. And have you ever read the book or seen the movie "The Time Machine"? You never want to go too far into the future...though 8K glasses free OLED IS tempting

post #100 of 105 Old 06-06-2014, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18

It's a bit difficult to believe. We heard it would be released to the market in the end of last year, after that we were told that it would be the beginning of this year, and now is going to be Q4 2014 or Q1 2015. Let's hope this time they make it. Well there is a good thing we can take from this, while we wait we can take a look at the glasses free projector. Maybe it have a better image with a bigger screen at lower prices.

If you go to the future, test them both and tell us something. And bring me the numbers of the lottery too, because I might need the money to bought one of those things. 

post #101 of 105 Old 06-06-2014, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTmen View Post

It's a bit difficult to believe. We heard it would be released to the market in the end of last year, after that we were told that it would be the beginning of this year, and now is going to be Q4 2014 or Q1 2015. Let's hope this time they make it. Well there is a good thing we can take from this, while we wait we can take a look at the glasses free projector. Maybe it have a better image with a bigger screen at lower prices.

If you go to the future, test them both and tell us something. And bring me the numbers of the lottery too, because I might need the money to bought one of those things. 

That's kind of how it goes with new products and new technologies.

I can't predict the future, but I can post an graphic illustrating the so-called "hype cycle."

post #102 of 105 Old 06-06-2014, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

I asked when real product would be on store shelves. He said Q4 2014, or Q1 2015, and that I'd get a chance to see a pre-production unit before that. 

Thanks for the update, but now I am officially sad. frown.gif
post #103 of 105 Old 06-06-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:Originally Posted by McGriddle 
 Quote:Originally Posted by imagic 

I asked when real product would be on store shelves. He said Q4 2014, or Q1 2015, and that I'd get a chance to see a pre-production unit before that. 

Thanks for the update, but now I am officially sad.

Here's my full update...

Two Months With an Ultra-D TV

Last edited by imagic; 06-29-2014 at 08:32 AM.
post #104 of 105 Old 06-29-2014, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Here's my full update...

For some reason I cannot open the link. It just opens up to a blank page.
post #105 of 105 Old 06-29-2014, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
For some reason I cannot open the link. It just opens up to a blank page.
That must have something to do with the AVS platform switch that occurred a couple weeks back. It's fixed.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page