10Likes

post #121 of 141 Old 10-06-2014, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Evidently there's something to show me. I just got a phone call. Headed to the StreamTV office on Wednesday.
Thanks Mark for the heads up. I have a question which might be a tad premature... I'm wondering if they might work with Dolbyvision to get HDR glasses free displays going? (I see a lot of potential with merging the already 3 dimensional looking Dolbyvision with a 3D tech like this.) So if you are in a position to offer suggestions... hahah.

I'm very interested in this tech but the timing is bad for me because I'm ready to upgrade now. I'm interested in some of the other bleeding edge technologies as well, but I know it will take a few years for content to catch up. I might actually buy a 1080p 3D tv to tide me over for a while, I definitely don't want to spend money on a set until I see the R series.

In a few years when 4k specs are worked out & HDR content is available/ hopefully even 3D 4k bluray discs are around then I'll upgrade. I'm hoping Ultra D will be able to tackle active/passive glasses quality 3D by then if it hasn't already. I guess we'll see on Wednesday?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 141 Old 10-06-2014, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1708 Post(s)
Liked: 3049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
Thanks Mark for the heads up. I have a question which might be a tad premature... I'm wondering if they might work with Dolbyvision to get HDR glasses free displays going? (I see a lot of potential with merging the already 3 dimensional looking Dolbyvision with a 3D tech like this.) So if you are in a position to offer suggestions... hahah.

I'm very interested in this tech but the timing is bad for me because I'm ready to upgrade now. I'm interested in some of the other bleeding edge technologies as well, but I know it will take a few years for content to catch up. I might actually buy a 1080p 3D tv to tide me over for a while, I definitely don't want to spend money on a set until I see the R series.

In a few years when 4k specs are worked out & HDR content is available/ hopefully even 3D 4k bluray discs are around then I'll upgrade. I'm hoping Ultra D will be able to tackle active/passive glasses quality 3D by then if it hasn't already. I guess we'll see on Wednesday?
Dolby already has its own glasses-free 3D tech, which I've seen on several occasions. I'm curious if Dolby is actively developing it, and if I'll see something new/improved at CES 2015. Surely it's occurred to Dolby to combine 3D and HDR.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #123 of 141 Old 10-06-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Dolby already has its own glasses-free 3D tech, which I've seen on several occasions. I'm curious if Dolby is actively developing it, and if I'll see something new/improved at CES 2015. Surely it's occurred to Dolby to combine 3D and HDR.
Oh yeah I forgot about that. I'm guessing the Ultra D looks better than Dolby glasses free 3D if it hasn't been mentioned as much as Ultra D?
I just looked at Dolby's site and it looks like James Cameron is their spokesperson for Dolby 3D... hmmm.

There's other methods to get HDR aside from Dolby vision right? So perhaps there might be some variation the Ultra D could use.
post #124 of 141 Old 10-06-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 584
We heard this was display tech agnostic. Maybe they got this thing running on an LG OLED
post #125 of 141 Old 10-06-2014, 11:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
We heard this was display tech agnostic. Maybe they got this thing running on an LG OLED
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping, too - or Ultra-D in any OLED for that matter. I couldn't resist the Micro Center sale on the 55" LG 9800 OLED, but if they manage to add glasses-free 3D to one of the rumored Chinese OLED displays, I'll be chomping at the bit to see it.

Joe Clark

post #126 of 141 Old 10-07-2014, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Dolby already has its own glasses-free 3D tech, which I've seen on several occasions. I'm curious if Dolby is actively developing it...
My colleagues Ryan and Jay saw a glasses-free TV at the Changhong booth at IFA that used the Dolby 3D system ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/2gsr4lg2cnqwcvd/DSC_0499.JPG ) and was more impressive than they were expecting, although Ryan in particular noticed some micro-stuttering.

Simon Ford also explicitly asked for my thoughts on 4K OLED, and I mentioned that I received confirmation from manufacturers' reps at IFA that all were using an LG Display panel: the ones I saw were prototypes from Vestel and Changhong (not combined with glasses-free 3D), a concept model (i.e. beyond prototype) from Panasonic, and the omnipresent retail models from LG Electronics (the 55" 4K curved was on display, but not any any of the 4K flats that were confirmed in the recent AVForums piece).

I, dabotsonline / Nicholas Polydor, am part of Panasonic UK's 'VIERA VIP Club': a group of six bloggers and forum posters receiving special access to information and events for the TV product range. Costs for activities are covered by Panasonic (no cash is involved). However, I can assure that this will never compromise my integrity or objectivity as an ethical conscience is something I have always and will forever hold very dear to my heart.
post #127 of 141 Old 10-07-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 584
I just hope that no 2D tv attributes get sacrificed in pursuit of this type of glasses free tech. I still am going to prefer to watch 2D material the majority of the time. 3D is more like 'movie' night for us at my house.
post #128 of 141 Old 10-08-2014, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
I just hope that no 2D tv attributes get sacrificed in pursuit of this type of glasses free tech. I still am going to prefer to watch 2D material the majority of the time. 3D is more like 'movie' night for us at my house.
I agree with this entirely. 3D in my house is a "special event" rather than the norm. I have a feeling there will be a tradeoff, but until I hear a bit more on this (or see it for myself), We'll have to see.

So excited about this tech, its so close I can almost smell it.
mo949 likes this.

Tannoy mercury v4 fronts, Dali Zensor 1 rears, Kef IQ2c centre with a Maudaunt Short Alumni 6 sub. Philips 47pfl6007 with 2 sided ambilight and modded firmware motion -pixel precise to pixel perfect.

Sony s760 bluray player, fat PS3, Virgin TIVO and OpenELEC 4.1.5 HTPC on a HP Microserver N54L with 4tb storage and 6gb RAM.
post #129 of 141 Old 10-08-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Evidently there's something to show me. I just got a phone call. Headed to the StreamTV office on Wednesday.
One more thing, @imagic . I imagine that you'll mentally compare the Ultra-D TV to your Samsung F8500, but it would be great if you could also do so with the Panasonic AX800 given how fresh it is in your mind (I enjoyed your review, BTW).

I, dabotsonline / Nicholas Polydor, am part of Panasonic UK's 'VIERA VIP Club': a group of six bloggers and forum posters receiving special access to information and events for the TV product range. Costs for activities are covered by Panasonic (no cash is involved). However, I can assure that this will never compromise my integrity or objectivity as an ethical conscience is something I have always and will forever hold very dear to my heart.
post #130 of 141 Old 10-08-2014, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Here's a very brief update...

Ultra-D now runs on a chip, and does so smoothly. I've witnessed another iteration of improvement, and this one results in a refined 3D image. I watched about half an hour of Life of Pi, and Ultra-D had no glitches. It reminded me that this is a technology to be excited about. Also, somehow the rippling effect when you move your head is improved to the point where it's almost gone. It looks ready for prime-time. I'm working on a more cohesive report/story. Not sure when that'll be ready, looking for a bit more news....
gamermwm and Aras_Volodka like this.

Last edited by imagic; 10-10-2014 at 05:43 AM.
post #131 of 141 Old 10-08-2014, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabotsonline View Post
One more thing, @imagic . I imagine that you'll mentally compare the Ultra-D TV to your Samsung F8500, but it would be great if you could also do so with the Panasonic AX800 given how fresh it is in your mind (I enjoyed your review, BTW).
Yes, I did just that. I was afraid Ultra-D would fail to impress now that I have the F8500. Not so. The experience was comparable, and glasses-free is preferable. The AX800 suffers from some crosstalk, probably because it's an LCD. That was not an issue with Ultra-D or the F8500, so the AX800U is not as good at 3D IMO. But the AX800U is a better overall TV than the panels Ultra-D is currently using. An Ultra-D AX800U would be a thing of beauty.

post #132 of 141 Old 10-10-2014, 04:09 AM

Looking forward to your full report @imagic .

It would be interesting to know what well known and popular companies (Toshiba? LG? Sony???? )are actually signed up for this tech.

Tannoy mercury v4 fronts, Dali Zensor 1 rears, Kef IQ2c centre with a Maudaunt Short Alumni 6 sub. Philips 47pfl6007 with 2 sided ambilight and modded firmware motion -pixel precise to pixel perfect.

Sony s760 bluray player, fat PS3, Virgin TIVO and OpenELEC 4.1.5 HTPC on a HP Microserver N54L with 4tb storage and 6gb RAM.
post #133 of 141 Old 10-10-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulgartrendkill View Post
It would be interesting to know what well known and popular companies (Toshiba? LG? Sony???? )are actually signed up for this tech.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16:49 19 Feb 2014 by Jeff Parsons
The company is discussing the technology with several manufacturers and already has a deal in place with Toshiba. During a demo held with T3.com, a spokesperson confirmed meetings with LG and Samsung...
http://www.t3.com/news/stream-tv-exp...ater-this-year

I would love to see Ultra-D on a Toshiba 65Z9X / 58Z9X / 50Z9X / 40J9X!

post #134 of 141 Old 10-10-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, I did just that. I was afraid Ultra-D would fail to impress now that I have the F8500. Not so. The experience was comparable, and glasses-free is preferable. The AX800 suffers from some crosstalk, probably because it's an LCD. That was not an issue with Ultra-D or the F8500, so the AX800U is not as good at 3D IMO. But the AX800U is a better overall TV than the panels Ultra-D is currently using. An Ultra-D AX800U would be a thing of beauty.
Not to stray off topic... but do you think now would be a bad time to buy a 64" F8500? My concern is a lot of the tech I'm interested in won't be available together with content for a number of years (ultimate UHD, Ultra D 3D & HDR). If I get the F8500, I'm unlikely to be able to afford an upgrade for maybe 5 years... but I'm guessing that might be how long it will be before the content is ready to take advantage of all 3 at an affordable price?
post #135 of 141 Old 10-10-2014, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Not to stray off topic... but do you think now would be a bad time to buy a 64" F8500? My concern is a lot of the tech I'm interested in won't be available together with content for a number of years (ultimate UHD, Ultra D 3D & HDR). If I get the F8500, I'm unlikely to be able to afford an upgrade for maybe 5 years... but I'm guessing that might be how long it will be before the content is ready to take advantage of all 3 at an affordable price?
It's about the only time left to buy an F8500. If you need a TV today, the F8500 is a great choice. I can't predict how soon OLED will be affordable or how long it'll be before Ultra-D is on store shelves. I can predict that F8500s will become scarce after production stops this year.

post #136 of 141 Old 10-10-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
It's about the only time left to buy an F8500. If you need a TV today, the F8500 is a great choice. I can't predict how soon OLED will be affordable or how long it'll be before Ultra-D is on store shelves. I can predict that F8500s will become scarce after production stops this year.
Thanks for the insight, and TY for the update... I think I'll dive into the 8500 and make the most out of 1080 p until I can afford a nice Ultra D set
post #137 of 141 Old 10-10-2014, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Thanks for the insight, and TY for the update... I think I'll dive into the 8500 and make the most out of 1080 p until I can afford a nice Ultra D set
Gotta say, the F8500 was one of the best purchases I've ever made...
Aras_Volodka likes this.

post #138 of 141 Old 10-14-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Gotta say, the F8500 was one of the best purchases I've ever made...
One will be in my house on Thursday Did you upgrade the 3D glasses that came with the set? If so have any recommendations?
post #139 of 141 Old 11-10-2014, 02:39 AM

Any update on this UltraD tech?
Paul H and kshape like this.

post #140 of 141 Old 11-12-2014, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Any new info from the Stream tv guys?
post #141 of 141 Old 11-13-2014, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo631 View Post
Any new info from the Stream tv guys?
Hang tight... I'm in touch with them.