Ultra-D Glasses-Free 3D TV Hands-On Experience - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #181 of 194 Old 02-11-2015, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3567 Post(s)
Liked: 5790
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulgartrendkill View Post
So there are some major players that there is an embargo on mentioning?

Sounds a little more promising (to me and the other one person who still watches 3D)
That's a nice, upbeat piece. The only issue I see is this quote: "they all distribute in the U.S., and deals with mega-companies are pending, including Toshiba (the only mega-one that can be announced)."

After all... Toshiba to Pull Out of North America TV Sales - WSJ.com

I wish StreamTV luck, I definitely want to see what a "great" Ultra-D TV looks like. But I don't think its going to come from Toshiba, at least not in the US.
Paul H likes this.

Mark Henninger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 194 Old 04-23-2015, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
It's happening, finally!

Per article "Enhancing TV viewer experience with ultra HD glasses-free 3d" from Qualcomm, "The company expects to begin mass production runs
in the second quarter of 2015, with screen sizes
ranging from 50” to 65”. Most of this initial inventory
will be aimed at China, where 3D TV continues to grow
in popularity, with plans to enter the US in the second
half of the year."

This is very exciting!
post #183 of 194 Old 04-27-2015, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Weren't the Cello TV's supposed to be out by now in the UK?
post #184 of 194 Old 09-08-2015, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey guys,
I would just like to say that ofiktomi was right and I am beginning to lose faith in Ultra-D. Sorry ofiktomi, I should not have been so harsh on you for your insight. I contacted IZON earlier this year and was disappointed to hear that they were concentrating on 3D imaging for medical equipment at the time and seemed to have no sense of urgency in regard to regular consumers... That was well over 6 months ago and I was getting ready to fire up the bike for a little spring riding so I haven't been following as closely since then... Here we are at the end of summer and not a peep from Stream TV or IZON! Or Cello! Or anyone else for that matter... I expected to hear something from IFA 2015 but I am not even sure if they were there. Nothing new on their Facebook or Twitter pages either... WTF!? Guess I'll just keep wearing the stupid glasses for the time being...
post #185 of 194 Old 09-30-2015, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone seen this over at izon, i think its finaly here. izontv.com:80/product-p/cov3d---50ashm-u.htm#.Vgtld9xmZiI.mailto $5,499 this is my first post so i can't post links, copy paste to browser will have to do.
post #186 of 194 Old 09-30-2015, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 3567 Post(s)
Liked: 5790
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
That's a nice, upbeat piece. The only issue I see is this quote: "they all distribute in the U.S., and deals with mega-companies are pending, including Toshiba (the only mega-one that can be announced)."

After all... Toshiba to Pull Out of North America TV Sales - WSJ.com

I wish StreamTV luck, I definitely want to see what a "great" Ultra-D TV looks like. But I don't think its going to come from Toshiba, at least not in the US.
Things change, the marketplace shifts, old articles become obsolete. That happened here. 3D is simply not on the marketing radar, and as you point out the wrong strategy can spell doom for a TV maker.
post #187 of 194 Old 10-02-2015, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomby View Post
Hey guys,
I would just like to say that ofiktomi was right and I am beginning to lose faith in Ultra-D. Sorry ofiktomi, I should not have been so harsh on you for your insight. I contacted IZON earlier this year and was disappointed to hear that they were concentrating on 3D imaging for medical equipment at the time and seemed to have no sense of urgency in regard to regular consumers... That was well over 6 months ago and I was getting ready to fire up the bike for a little spring riding so I haven't been following as closely since then... Here we are at the end of summer and not a peep from Stream TV or IZON! Or Cello! Or anyone else for that matter... I expected to hear something from IFA 2015 but I am not even sure if they were there. Nothing new on their Facebook or Twitter pages either... WTF!? Guess I'll just keep wearing the stupid glasses for the time being...

Not so fast?

"HOLLYWOOD, Calif., Sept. 30, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Stream TV Networks, Inc. is pleased to announce that it has been honored by the Advanced Imaging Society for its Ultra-D glasses-free 3D technology. Presentation of the Lumiere Award, the Society's highest honor for technology innovation, comes as mass production of Ultra-D displays hits high gear with Taiwanese manufacturing partner Pegatron. The 65" premiere product is currently being placed in high profile public installations and positioned for consumer and digital signage sale through various online and brick-and-mortar retailers in 2016.'

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300152228.html
Zomby likes this.
post #188 of 194 Old 10-26-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krascher View Post
Not so fast?

"HOLLYWOOD, Calif., Sept. 30, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Stream TV Networks, Inc. is pleased to announce that it has been honored by the Advanced Imaging Society for its Ultra-D glasses-free 3D technology. Presentation of the Lumiere Award, the Society's highest honor for technology innovation, comes as mass production of Ultra-D displays hits high gear with Taiwanese manufacturing partner Pegatron. The 65" premiere product is currently being placed in high profile public installations and positioned for consumer and digital signage sale through various online and brick-and-mortar retailers in 2016.'

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300152228.html
Hey Krascher, thanks for posting that article!!! I REALLY hope they keep plugging away until this thing goes live... I will start following more closely again, been passive as of late. What I would ideally like to see would be major brands like LG, Sony, and Samsung licensing the technology and incorporating it in their product lines. I don't know that IZON has the production capacity to be a viable option for mainstream adoption, although I would buy one if they do end up putting it out there.
Anyway, thanks again for the post!!!
post #189 of 194 Old 10-29-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb54 View Post
Has anyone seen this over at izon, i think its finaly here. izontv.com:80/product-p/cov3d---50ashm-u.htm#.Vgtld9xmZiI.mailto $5,499 this is my first post so i can't post links, copy paste to browser will have to do.
I got REALLY excited for a minute there... I checked it out and this is a Commercial Display, the consumer version is still not listed. I actually asked about purchasing one when I contacted them earlier in the year but unfortunately these displays serve a different purpose. The Commercial Displays require special content and have software that accompanies the unit to create 3D images for advertising and the like. They will not work for the purposes we all most likely want them for. Thanks for the post though, at least we are seeing positive momentum that will hopefully lead to a viable product in the future.

Correction: The display you linked to does list real time 2D to 3D conversion and 2D Playback, so it may just be in the wrong section on their website... I am going to contact them to verify the information.

Last edited by Zomby; 10-30-2015 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Correction
post #190 of 194 Old 10-30-2015, 12:09 PM

OK, just tried to contact IZON customer support and something VERY strange happened. First of all, the email for jd@izontv.com is listed in the "contact us" section of the website but I noticed another address in the Display Warranty section and tried to contact this department as well since the address was "support@izon.com." I was being lazy and just copied the link and pasted it in the address bar of my email and this came up: CustomerSupport@VIZIO.com
WTH does that mean!?!?!? Does VIZIO service their warranties for them, do they just supply parts or screens for their displays, or do they have something in the works together? http://www.izontv.com/product-p/cov3d---65ashm-u.htm is the page I am referring to if anyone else wants to check it out. I typed "support@izon.com" manually and sent them an email as well, so hopefully I will get some response.
post #191 of 194 Old 10-30-2015, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomby View Post
OK, just tried to contact IZON customer support and something VERY strange happened. First of all, the email for jd@izontv.com is listed in the "contact us" section of the website but I noticed another address in the Display Warranty section and tried to contact this department as well since the address was "support@izon.com." I was being lazy and just copied the link and pasted it in the address bar of my email and this came up: CustomerSupport@VIZIO.com
WTH does that mean!?!?!? Does VIZIO service their warranties for them, do they just supply parts or screens for their displays, or do they have something in the works together? http://www.izontv.com/product-p/cov3d---65ashm-u.htm is the page I am referring to if anyone else wants to check it out. I typed "support@izon.com" manually and sent them an email as well, so hopefully I will get some response.
Do you own a vizio product and\or sent them an email in the past? If so then your mail client probably just got it out of your email history thinking you made a typo.
post #192 of 194 Old 10-30-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apgood View Post
Do you own a vizio product and\or sent them an email in the past? If so then your mail client probably just got it out of your email history thinking you made a typo.
I do not and have never emailed them... I copied and pasted the link in a few places to make sure it was not something along those lines also. Very strange...
post #193 of 194 Old 10-30-2015, 04:12 PM

OK folks, I got a response. First off, please forgive me for being slightly vague, but there was a confidentiality disclaimer on the email so I don't want to post it (or it's contents) publicly. VIZIO's response was that they do not have any 3D sets in their current product line, didn't expect much from them anyway. IZON did verify that the set on the website is a commercial display that is available for pre-order. You can technically use it for in home applications, although the current feature set is not the same as that of a consumer display. I suggest anyone interested in ordering should contact them before making a purchase so you can verify if the current features are acceptable for your intended use. I will most likely wait for the consumer version...
I suggest emailing them for more details if anyone is interested, more interest may give them more incentive to get it out there as well. I will say that the email did give me hope that a consumer version is in the works and will most likely be available in the relatively near future, hoping for Santa to bring one next year if that helps!!!

Edit: Just found these... very promising! The first article confirms with what IZON said in the email, although the email gave some of the features and specs in more detail.
http://www.dealerscope.com/article/i...e-3d-displays/
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300181651.html

Last edited by Zomby; 11-19-2015 at 07:18 PM. Reason: More info, didn't want to make a new post and hog the forum...
post #194 of 194 Old 11-03-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
thanks for keeping us posted.

Count me as another eager buyer for a high-end UHD TV (ala samsung, sony, lg) with glasses-free Ultra-D 3D.

I'm eager to upgrade to a larger set for the family room now that 4K prices are coming down... and oh how I would LOVE to make that set one with Ultra-D!
Zomby likes this.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page