"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-49X850B / XBR-55X850B / XBR-65X850B / XBR-70X850B Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1740 Old 08-09-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
I imagine AOU builds AV and IPS panels so it would be interesting to compare the attributes of each side by side. I've checked numerous places and can't find any information on the panels used in the 70w850b and the 70x850b. The x does have the reflective properties of a AV panel while the w seemed more matted. But who knows? Maybe they are made by RCA or GE.
I think LG is making the Sony IPS panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radewagon View Post
In case anyone's curious, I picked up the 55inch x850b because of the sale price and absolutely love the 3D performance. Is it perfect? No. But then, I don't think 3D is perfect in general. I do think, however, that it is better than what I usually experience in the theaters. I've only watched two movies so far (Tron Legacy and The Great Gatsby on 3D Bluray) but both of them had moments that were absolutely stunning on this new set of mine.

I'm no expert and I feel the need to say that my impression thus far is that of a casual viewer (certainly not a videophile), but I thought I'd leave my impressions for anyone who might be wondering about the performance of 3D Blurays via the X850B.
What problems did you notice with the 3D since you said it is not perfect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1740 Old 08-09-2014, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
I think LG is making the Sony IPS panels.

What problems did you notice with the 3D since you said it is not perfect?
Very rarely, you might see two borders along an object's edge. I think it's called crosstalk. In both movies, I saw it about 4 times total and all of those 4 times it was barely noticeable. I've noticed the same kind of crosstalk in theaters (Gravity had a whole lot) and even on my 3DS. I think it's pretty impossible to avoid having it crop up every once in a while.

Another thing, and one that I don't know if there's a word for it, was that, sometimes, it was very obvious that I was looking through polarized lenses. Not really sure how to describe it. Again, though, very rare. I don't think I noticed it at all during Gatsby, and I only noticed it about 5 times in TRON. It's nothing terrible. Just weird.

3D gaming on the PS3 was a lot less exciting. It seems that inconsistent framerates give the 3D a really hard time. I had the same problem with the official Playstation 3D display. The better the framerate, the better the 3D. Shadow of the colossus is particularly awesome.

Anyway, if you want me to check any specific movie scenes or games (and if I have them and the time to do so), I'll post my impressions of how they look on the TV.
post #633 of 1740 Old 08-09-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Very rarely, you might see two borders along an object's edge. I think it's called crosstalk. In both movies, I saw it about 4 times total and all of those 4 times it was barely noticeable. I've noticed the same kind of crosstalk in theaters (Gravity had a whole lot) and even on my 3DS. I think it's pretty impossible to avoid having it crop up every once in a while.

Another thing, and one that I don't know if there's a word for it, was that, sometimes, it was very obvious that I was looking through polarized lenses. Not really sure how to describe it. Again, though, very rare. I don't think I noticed it at all during Gatsby, and I only noticed it about 5 times in TRON. It's nothing terrible. Just weird.

3D gaming on the PS3 was a lot less exciting. It seems that inconsistent framerates give the 3D a really hard time. I had the same problem with the official Playstation 3D display. The better the framerate, the better the 3D. Shadow of the colossus is particularly awesome.

Anyway, if you want me to check any specific movie scenes or games (and if I have them and the time to do so), I'll post my impressions of how they look on the TV.
That is good to hear to be honest. It is called crosstalk
post #634 of 1740 Old 08-09-2014, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Sony 65X850B vs 65X850A

I have a new 65X850A being delivered next Friday. I got it at a great price at $2199.00. I keep wondering if I made the correct decision. Should I have gone with the newer model the New 65X850B to get the update connectivity? I can get the 65X850B for $2700.00 through Sony EPP pricing. The picture quality on the X850A (VA panel, local dimming, motion flow 960) will be better than the X850B (LG IPS panel, frame dimming, motion flow 240) especially in the area of color and blacks. But I am thinking that the connectivity may be better on the X850B. Other than the H.265 issue (fixed by external Sony box) will the X850B have a better HDMI chip providing better color than 4.2.0, better color depth 8 bit and better bandwidth of 12 GBPS? I know the X850A Provides HDMI® 2.0 compatibility though software upgrade and supports 4K 60p (3840X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit, 4096X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit). This is the low end of the HDMI spec. Does the 65X850B offer a higher HDMI 2.0 spec like YCBCr 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 with 10bit and does this really have any impact on the picture in real life terms?

I am looking for good value but want something that will give me some longevity. I appreciate your help.
post #635 of 1740 Old 08-09-2014, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It's odd, to me at least, that so many folks seem to be unhappy or have had issues with their 65X850B's. I say again, I am massively happy with mine. The blacks are impressively black, even for the lighting system it uses. I don't have bleed, I don't have flashlighting, except in the case of only two of the test colors I have used, and even then it's not even that, i would qualify it more as mild inconsistency. Maybe I got super lucky, I hope that's not the case, I genuinely do. I am a die hard Sony addict. The one thing it seems that is becoming more true is the term "panel lottery". I think that is terribly unfortunate.

The blacks on my TV are really quite black, with some very limited exceptions. I don't have the artifacts so often associated with frame dimming. I'm not sure what to say. If someone wants to share with me, either in thread or by PM, how to get into the service menu, I will share my panel info. Hopefully this might add, in some way, to the discussion. Bottom line though, again, I am really very happy with my x850b. I am not going to suggest that i would not prefer to have a X950B, but I had the money I had to spend, so I did. As such, I recommend the 65X850B.

jm2c ya'll
post #636 of 1740 Old 08-09-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post
I have a new 65X850A being delivered next Friday. I got it at a great price at $2199.00. I keep wondering if I made the correct decision. Should I have gone with the newer model the New 65X850B to get the update connectivity?
Sony EPP has sales tax, you can get the 65X850B elsewhere online for less even if they are including sales tax. If the $2199 is out the door that's an OK deal, but I personally, for $500 more would want 2ND generation 4K as the X850A is not even 2.0 HDMI just for starters.

I will further this, really none of the 4K units from last year, any make or model, are worth just a few hundred off. A few thousand, maybe. Most people buy TV's once every 5 years or more, spend a few hundred more and buy a new unit that is 2ND generation 4K.
post #637 of 1740 Old 08-09-2014, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I will further this, really none of the 4K units from last year, any make or model, are worth just a few hundred off. A few thousand, maybe. Most people buy TV's once every 5 years or more, spend a few hundred more and buy a new unit that is 2ND generation 4K.
I didn't buy my TV from Cleveland, but I agree with this take.
post #638 of 1740 Old 08-09-2014, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Sony EPP has sales tax, you can get the 65X850B elsewhere online for less even if they are including sales tax. If the $2199 is out the door that's an OK deal, but I personally, for $500 more would want 2ND generation 4K as the X850A is not even 2.0 HDMI just for starters.

Please find me a link stating that the 850A isn't HDMI 2.0?
post #639 of 1740 Old 08-10-2014, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Thank you for your comments. The 65X850A came out last October so in a sense it was not a first generation set. Also it does have HDMI 2.0 but not the H.265. I am really concerned for the longevity and connectivity but I found out that the 65X850B has the same HDMI 2.0 spec as the 65X850A, 8 bit 4:2:0 color. I was expecting the X850B to have a higher spec than the X850a but it does not. The only connectivity issue the X850A is missing that I am aware of is the H.265 which is fixed by using the Sony box at $499 which will also then give me more 4K content.

I have viewed the 65X850A side by side with the 70X850B and the X850A has a better picture in terms of color and blacks but both had a great picture. If I did not get such a great deal on the X850a I probably would have waited for the next price reduction and purchased the 65X850B. The thing that has bothered me about the 65X850B was that it did not have local dimming, Motion flow 960, and does not have the X-tended Dynamic Range technology along with the Quantum dot Triluminos Panel. According to the Sony rep that I talked to that the X850A has higher end features than the X850B and that the X850A was more equal to performance to the new X900B. Again my concern is the connectivity which is still not real clear.
post #640 of 1740 Old 08-10-2014, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
New firmware available

I just downloaded and installed new firmware that was available for my 65 inch 850b.

Does anyone have details of the changes or know where to find them?
post #641 of 1740 Old 08-10-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you see what panel it is by doing this

# Turn the TV off.
# Press {DISPLAY} {5} {VOL+} {POWER ON} buttons.
or
Press {DISPLAY} {5} {POWER ON} button

It will tell you the panel model number. I don't think anyone has confirmed if it is an LG IPS panel or not.
post #642 of 1740 Old 08-10-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Can you see what panel it is by doing this

# Turn the TV off.
or
Press {DISPLAY} {5} {POWER ON} button

It will tell you the panel model number. I don't think anyone has confirmed if it is an LG IPS panel or not.
To be honest, the TV is still under warranty, and I'd really rather not enter service mode at this point. I'm not sure what kind of protections Sony might have in the software and whether or not it would log any incidences of having been booted into said mode.

Sorry.
post #643 of 1740 Old 08-10-2014, 06:13 PM

Weird problem

Just brought a 65x850B from Best Buy. It has a approx. one foot darker circle like a blob on the left side. It only appears on certain scenes. Mainly on gray areas. Beautiful picture otherwise. This area is very warm compared to the rest of the screen. The blob was there for several days. Then I lightly rubbed a microfiber cloth over this area and it disappears and the area became cooler. Turned set off to cool down and the blob did not come back. Hope it stays that way. Could it be due to shipping? Reminds me of the old days when picture tubes became magnetized.
post #644 of 1740 Old 08-10-2014, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How does the input lag and picture quality in game mode compare to the Sony W900A?
post #645 of 1740 Old 08-11-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahn2621 View Post
How does the input lag and picture quality in game mode compare to the Sony W900A?
Not sure about a comparison, but according to Beatles Rock Band's auto calibration tool, the video lag on the 55x850b in game mode is about 36ms (can't remember exactly what it was but I know it was in the high 30's). Now, I have had the auto calibration give me varied results on the same TV multiple times, so it's probably not the most reliable tool to judge display lag, but it is a pretty good basic indicator of the kind of controller response one can expect.

As for more anecdotal conclusions, I haven't had a single problem with lag. My games feel crazy responsive.
post #646 of 1740 Old 08-11-2014, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Not sure about a comparison, but according to Beatles Rock Band's auto calibration tool, the video lag on the 55x850b in game mode is about 36ms (can't remember exactly what it was but I know it was in the high 30's). Now, I have had the auto calibration give me varied results on the same TV multiple times, so it's probably not the most reliable tool to judge display lag, but it is a pretty good basic indicator of the kind of controller response one can expect.

As for more anecdotal conclusions, I haven't had a single problem with lag. My games feel crazy responsive.
I game on the W900A. It's rated at 19ms, which is very good. For fighting games and shooters, I would feel 36ms. How can you game like that?
post #647 of 1740 Old 08-11-2014, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by benneyb View Post
I just downloaded and installed new firmware that was available for my 65 inch 850b.

Does anyone have details of the changes or know where to find them?
The firmware patch notes usually appear here but they aren't up yet...

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-...d#/downloadTab
post #648 of 1740 Old 08-11-2014, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbuk View Post
Is anyone with an audio system connected having an issue with their x850b resetting the speaker setting to the default TV speakers after being left in standby for a while?

I bought both 65" & 55" screens and I'm getting this issue on the 65" but not the 55". The 65" is connected to a new Sony Audio system (bdv-e3100) and it was fine for the first 48 hours. But it's changed the speaker setting from 'audio system' back to 'tv speakers' 3 times today, each time after being left in standby for a while.

The 55" is connected to an older Pionneer system and seems stable so far.

Anyone else getting this issue and if so how did you fix it?
Just for reference, the above problem is now resolved and it wasn't the screen. The audio system was set to power off if there was no activity within a 30 minute period. So every time he paused SkyHD (e.g. make dinner, check email, etc) the audio system went off. Bit of a silly default setting if you ask me but at least it's sorted now.
post #649 of 1740 Old 08-11-2014, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhanging View Post
Just brought a 65x850B from Best Buy. It has a approx. one foot darker circle like a blob on the left side. It only appears on certain scenes. Mainly on gray areas. Beautiful picture otherwise. This area is very warm compared to the rest of the screen. The blob was there for several days. Then I lightly rubbed a microfiber cloth over this area and it disappears and the area became cooler. Turned set off to cool down and the blob did not come back. Hope it stays that way. Could it be due to shipping? Reminds me of the old days when picture tubes became magnetized.
Another user, Carlos, had that problem with his 900b. He massaged it out just as you did and it has not reappeared.
Carlos_E likes this.
post #650 of 1740 Old 08-11-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahn2621 View Post
I game on the W900A. It's rated at 19ms, which is very good. For fighting games and shooters, I would feel 36ms. How can you game like that?
You'd be surprised at how awesome your brain can be. I used to use the Playstation 3D display (rated at about 33ms). Later, as an upgrade in size only, I started using my now wife's LG 32LE5400 (rated by rock band at a horrible 59ms). When playing games like Street Fighter, the LG's lag was VERY noticeable. It was awful. Then, as time went on, I simply got used to it. My brain just sort of unconsciously accepted that Street Fighter was now going to be kind of laggy and compensated for the difference.

Switching, now, to the X850B, the TV is super responsive by comparison. I'm sure that the feeling will go away once my brain adjusts to the new set. Then, it won't feel like better Street Fighter and will just go back to being Street Fighter.

So, yeah, our brains are much cooler than we give them credit for. Though I will always recommend a faster TV to people who want to game, I think the need for super low display lag is a bit overstated for all but the most hardcore of frame counting fighting game aficionados.

Anyway, my 2 cents.
post #651 of 1740 Old 08-11-2014, 08:11 AM

Well I'm not scared...
Turn the TV off.
Worked
PNL:
YD4Y650NNG0101

S.
post #652 of 1740 Old 08-11-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim2lexus View Post
Well I'm not scared...
Turn the TV off.
Worked
PNL:
YD4Y650NNG0101S

S.
thanks! Looks like there is no info online. I should have mine by Friday, and will let you know if it is the same panel. I would think it should be the same.

Also, for those with the 65", is the 3D full 1080P? I know the 55" has been confirmed to be half res for the 3D image.

Last edited by Mattopotamus; 08-11-2014 at 09:07 AM.
post #653 of 1740 Old 08-11-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Question

I am tempted by the recent price drop at BB to get a 55x850b. I had not planned on getting a 4k set so soon, so I have some questions:

do I need new HDMI cables? I think I read elsewhere that there is no need for different cables.

how is the 1080p up-scaling on broadcast tv? I hope it at least matches a high quality native 1080p set?

I do a lot of gaming, how is the up-scaling for gaming? I saw one youtube review that said the games were disappointing compared to other content on this tv. I will be using an xbox one, but would appreciate any input from other console users. I would assume that playing around in the settings should get me an awesome picture with these beautiful next gen games (as I know settings make a HUGE difference)...but would hate to upgrade my tv, only to have a downgraded gaming experience. could the extra pixels actually cause issues in how these games look?
post #654 of 1740 Old 08-11-2014, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbuk View Post
The firmware patch notes usually appear here but they aren't up yet...

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-...d#/downloadTab
Thanks Herbuk, very helpful!
post #655 of 1740 Old 08-11-2014, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
New owner here. How do I change to cinema 1-2 presets it seems to only give me vivid standard and custom. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Thanks
post #656 of 1740 Old 08-11-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-dogg View Post
I am tempted by the recent price drop at BB to get a 55x850b. I had not planned on getting a 4k set so soon, so I have some questions:

do I need new HDMI cables? I think I read elsewhere that there is no need for different cables.

how is the 1080p up-scaling on broadcast tv? I hope it at least matches a high quality native 1080p set?

I do a lot of gaming, how is the up-scaling for gaming? I saw one youtube review that said the games were disappointing compared to other content on this tv. I will be using an xbox one, but would appreciate any input from other console users. I would assume that playing around in the settings should get me an awesome picture with these beautiful next gen games (as I know settings make a HUGE difference)...but would hate to upgrade my tv, only to have a downgraded gaming experience. could the extra pixels actually cause issues in how these games look?
You do NOT need new cables.

1080P broadcast will look the exact same as the top of the line 1080P sets.

Use "game" mode and it will be just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsomnia View Post
New owner here. How do I change to cinema 1-2 presets it seems to only give me vivid standard and custom. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Thanks
options---scene select---cinema. Then go to options---picture adjustments---cinema 1.

It sounds like your scene is currently on general or auto, which only allows for vivid, standard, and custom.
post #657 of 1740 Old 08-11-2014, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
You do NOT need new cables.

1080P broadcast will look the exact same as the top of the line 1080P sets.

Use "game" mode and it will be just fine.

options---scene select---cinema. Then go to options---picture adjustments---cinema 1.

It sounds like your scene is currently on general or auto, which only allows for vivid, standard, and custom.

Awesome that worked. One more when I hit display it says the res is 1080p shouldn't that be converter to closer to 4k? Do I need to do something . Thanks
post #658 of 1740 Old 08-11-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottsomnia View Post
Awesome that worked. One more when I hit display it says the res is 1080p shouldn't that be converter to closer to 4k? Do I need to do something . Thanks
The display button shows the resolution of the source. The TV will still upconvert everything to 4k as best it can. For example, if you were to switch your cable box to 720p it would say that when you hit display.
post #659 of 1740 Old 08-11-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Showstopper:

Bought the XBR55X850B yesterday, got it home, and while it does do blacks quite well, it does have some minor uniformity issues, but more than liveable, however, there's one huge problem: Internet Video, and the inability to fine tune it.

When you're on NETFLIX, or watching internet video, you can't adjust: Color or Hue. The only way to modify these settings in "internet video", is to change the Scene Selection mode and watch the video the way Sony dictates that you watch internet video. No modifications to color or hue are allowed.

I called Sony, and while I know they're reading off of a script, the phone person confirmed my discovery.

I wonder why they do this?

Back to the store, unfortunately.
post #660 of 1740 Old 08-11-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Bought the 49" TV on Friday. Very, very nice TV!!! I bought this set for my bed room, replacing a Samsung LED 6300 ( Costco 6350 ), which I hated. I wasn't looking for 4k, but it seems that if you want a newer TV with the features I was looking for, you are going to be looking at 4k TV's. My biggest gripe with the Samsung was the blacks were grey, and off angle viewing was horrific! The Sony is excellent in these two areas. My main TV is a Panasonic 60GT50, which is awesome, especially with blacks. The Sony upscales very well, and I was very impressed with the picture quality with Blu Ray, my Direct TV, and internet streaming. I tested some 4k sources including the Netflix app on the Sony, and the picture looked very good ( a hair more detailed than most of the 1080i & 1080p sources, but marginally). If you owned a 65"-70" version, I think the improvement would be more evident, but without an equivalent 4K Blu Ray source ( high quality), I would not buy a 4k TV for just the resolution, unless you are running a 4k camcorder or with photography in mind. Or possibly for 4k gaming from a PC.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - XBR-49X850B by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page