"Official" 2014 Sony XBR-49X850B / XBR-55X850B / XBR-65X850B / XBR-70X850B Thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 2353 Old 07-01-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post
That's not exactly accurate. The A range can be upgraded to HDMI 2.0 at no charge but they do not come with 2.0 support right out of the box.
It is a firmware update.

Only if you have an original one do you need a hardware upgrade for 2.2 HDCP for port 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 2353 Old 07-01-2014, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchless21 View Post
Anyone get Playstation Now to show up in the Apps menu? I "re"-acquired all my apps but never saw the option for Playstation Now. My TV is setup for auto updates too, but I didn't play with it much because I didn't have time(been real busy).

One thing I have noticed in the past couple of weeks is that the TV now recognizes the Dual Shock 3 controller I plugged into it when I first bought it. I can turn the TV on and navigate with the controller. When I first got the 850, it didn't recognize the controller so some updates must have been installed by the auto update.
PSNow is not an app, but comes in the firmware update released yesterday.. I managed to force the update via the help/troubleshooting menu on the Home screen (I think?).

Once you grab that you get a new tab on the Home screen, not many games yet but I checked out Guacamelee and it works great.
post #333 of 2353 Old 07-02-2014, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:

I'm wondering, too, if there is a chance that Sony would release effectively the x900B series minus the side speakers prior to bringing out the 2015 models. Does seem to me that there is a place in the line-up for a 900B-calibre set that doesn't tack on the expense of a speaker system some of us will never use.

I want to go ahead and buy the new set but I keep thinking that if I wait just a little longer, it will pay off. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. Or is it?
LOL! Don't wait - Hell will freeze over first waiting. Sony has had a history of odd design where US consumers hated Dumbo Ears SXRD speaker surround and it's sound sucked compared to the 900 series and they kept their design for 3 years until the death of SXRD despite consumer hatred for the look and wasted space they ate up.

Sony does not budge interimly during a product year - NEVER seen it happen as the feature = the Price Tier for that product line and they are not catering to this forum. While sometimes in the past they've had interim releases of a new product with different timelines I have never witnessed an interim design change for a product line released for that year.

Hold your breath expecting a change on this successful product and you'll be attending your funeral even if they went GM and the design became a serial killer.
Janibrewski likes this.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #334 of 2353 Old 07-02-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg1188 View Post
So I went to hhgregg and best buy today and neither had the 850b. Passive 3D was what I was really desiring this time after having active for four years, and hearing about how bad the 3D is on the 850B is a little disheartening. The 900A is now out of the question; despite the cheaper price, and how impressive the speakers are, the SO said absolutely not because of the aesthetics of the TV. They had a 850A for $2200 and I'm now wondering if I should go with that, despite it being active 3D. What do you guys think?
If that is a 55" unit, you can get the 850B for just a one hundred more.......
post #335 of 2353 Old 07-02-2014, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainpresence View Post
PSNow is not an app, but comes in the firmware update released yesterday.. I managed to force the update via the help/troubleshooting menu on the Home screen (I think?).

Once you grab that you get a new tab on the Home screen, not many games yet but I checked out Guacamelee and it works great.
It looks like they are rolling out PS Now by model number. I have a 65X900B and ran software update last night and no update was available.
post #336 of 2353 Old 07-02-2014, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVNado View Post
Carlos, it looks like you're one of the few people here who owns the entire range of Sony 4K models! I just received my X850B and was wondering if you've calibrated your picture. If so, would you mind posting your picture settings for us? I haven't been able to find any by David Katzmaier for this unit. Thanks!
For my 850A I used to calibration settings posted for the 900A then did minor tweaks. I do not own an X850B. I suggest you use the 900A settings as a starting point then make tweaks from there.
post #337 of 2353 Old 07-02-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Sony 65x850a or65x850b

I am considering the 65x850a or the 65x850b. Which one is the better tv, the price difference for me is only $400. I know that the x850b does not have triluminos filter, does not have local dimming and only has 240 motion flow. Does the x850 b have any more/new technology to make the picture better? Thanks.
post #338 of 2353 Old 07-02-2014, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I went to hhgregg today and checked out the 850B 55" they had on display. I'm looking at buying a 65" inch but I don't think it will matter much since they both have the passive display. After seeing the stunning 3D presented on the 900A, the first thing I wanted to do was see the 3D. The rep put in the 3D aquarium disc and I was really impressed. I walked from side to side watching the 3D image and there was minimal ghosting. Standing up higher and sitting/crouching down presented some ghosting however. The sweet spot range is good if you're going to be completely level with the TV so note that when you decide where to place the set(or buy new furniture lol). I would say the 3D could pass for 4-6 people watching at eye-level with the set. The rep brought me a gravity disc and to my dismay, it wasn't the 3D version like he had thought. This was ok though because I got to test out the black levels and the simulated 3D of the set. First the bad: the simulated 3D is unbearable. The image is ghostly as hell. This is in deep contrast with 900A where I got to see a normal DVD be upconverted and simulated where there was minimal ghosting and truly outstanding performance. The good part of this gravity test was I got to see the stunning black levels of the display. I was really hesitant about getting the 850 model because of its edge lit dimming, but let me tell you, the blacks blew me away. Inky blacks and no discolored corners from the edge-lit display(I'm not sure what that's called where the blacks end up looking greyish). I told the rep that when I buy my 65in, if it doesn't look like -that- I will keep returning it until I get one with this kind of quality. The movie looked phenomenal. I do prefer the B models because they are brighter and it really brings the picture to life(for me). The picture was uniform, no visible banding that I could tell. I don't know if this is something because I was so close to the TV or not, but in the non 4K content I watched, I saw little grains all over the picture. I'm sure that when I'm at normal viewing range, you wouldn't be able to see them but I figured I'd mention them nonetheless. Overall, I left feeling better knowing I am going to be getting the 850B in September when our house is done. Personally I think this set is worthy of the XBR brand and not a KDL like someone else mentioned.
post #339 of 2353 Old 07-02-2014, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I went to hhgregg today and checked out the 850B 55" they had on display. I'm looking at buying a 65" inch but I don't think it will matter much since they both have the passive display. After seeing the stunning 3D presented on the 900A, the first thing I wanted to do was see the 3D. The rep put in the 3D aquarium disc and I was really impressed. I walked from side to side watching the 3D image and there was minimal ghosting. Standing up higher and sitting/crouching down presented some ghosting however. The sweet spot range is good if you're going to be completely level with the TV so note that when you decide where to place the set(or buy new furniture lol). I would say the 3D could pass for 4-6 people watching at eye-level with the set. The rep brought me a gravity disc and to my dismay, it wasn't the 3D version like he had thought. This was ok though because I got to test out the black levels and the simulated 3D of the set. First the bad: the simulated 3D is unbearable. The image is ghostly as hell. This is in deep contrast with 900A where I got to see a normal DVD be upconverted and simulated where there was minimal ghosting and truly outstanding performance. The good part of this gravity test was I got to see the stunning black levels of the display. I was really hesitant about getting the 850 model because of its edge lit dimming, but let me tell you, the blacks blew me away. Inky blacks and no discolored corners from the edge-lit display(I'm not sure what that's called where the blacks end up looking greyish). I told the rep that when I buy my 65in, if it doesn't look like -that- I will keep returning it until I get one with this kind of quality. The movie looked phenomenal. I do prefer the B models because they are brighter and it really brings the picture to life(for me). The picture was uniform, no visible banding that I could tell. I don't know if this is something because I was so close to the TV or not, but in the non 4K content I watched, I saw little grains all over the picture. I'm sure that when I'm at normal viewing range, you wouldn't be able to see them but I figured I'd mention them nonetheless. Overall, I left feeling better knowing I am going to be getting the 850B in September when our house is done. Personally I think this set is worthy of the XBR brand and not a KDL like someone else mentioned.
Good, deep blacks are great but not if they come at the expense of shadow detail. Is the shadow detail there and is the picture nicely balanced?

To be fair, in a retail environment sets are often poorly calibrated and it's not an ideal environment overall. Still, deep blacks in that setting, in of itself, is not a true indicator of a quality picture. Then again I'm of the shoot-for-accuracy-over-sizzle school. Ideally, a great, calibrated set should be tending to display what the content creators intended as opposed to simply looking impressive when considered on display in a big-box-store setting.

Still, I'm encouraged by what feedback is coming in for the X850B line. Still worried about quality control in the early going but otherwise leaning towards taking a chance on the 49-inch version.
post #340 of 2353 Old 07-02-2014, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Sounds to me like the 65 inch 850b might be the ticket rather than the 55 inch 900b I've been considering.

Bob (Retired)

Dish VIP-211K
Sony BDP-S6200
post #341 of 2353 Old 07-02-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Videoz View Post
Sounds to me like the 65 inch 850b might be the ticket rather than the 55 inch 900b I've been considering.
In no imagineable situation could I see the 850b being better than the 900b. Even in 3D where you would think the passive panel would shine, everyone has reported ghosting on the 850b
post #342 of 2353 Old 07-02-2014, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
In no imagineable situation could I see the 850b being better than the 900b. Even in 3D where you would think the passive panel would shine, everyone has reported ghosting on the 850b
Did I say the 850b was better than the 900b??????????????????? No I didn't!!!!!!! I could care less about 3D.

Bob (Retired)

Dish VIP-211K
Sony BDP-S6200
post #343 of 2353 Old 07-02-2014, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Still, I'm encouraged by what feedback is coming in for the X850B line. Still worried about quality control in the early going but otherwise leaning towards taking a chance on the 49-inch version.
Is it really worth spending the premium for 4K on a 49" TV?
post #344 of 2353 Old 07-02-2014, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wndsurfr View Post
no.
post #345 of 2353 Old 07-03-2014, 03:55 AM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wndsurfr View Post
It is when you're five to six feet away from the screen like I will be.
post #346 of 2353 Old 07-05-2014, 06:57 PM

Liked: 11
Welp, after researching this as exhaustively as I could, including reading this entire thread, I took the plunge and went to Frys to buy a 65x850b to replace my aging 60a3000. Super amused to find out that this weekend Sony was paying sales tax for most 4Ks at Fry's, so that a bonus.... then they told me they sold the last 65x850b 20 minutes before I got there. Now I have to wait till sometime next week...
post #347 of 2353 Old 07-07-2014, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainpresence View Post

I got the firmware update for Playstation Now on my 65X900B this past weekend.
post #348 of 2353 Old 07-07-2014, 11:06 AM

sony 65X850B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_E View Post
I got the firmware update for Playstation Now on my 65X900B this past weekend.
On the Playstation Now are the games free? If you have a PS3 game can you punch in a code and play the game? How does it all work? Thanks.
post #349 of 2353 Old 07-07-2014, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by acermen1212 View Post
On the Playstation Now are the games free? If you have a PS3 game can you punch in a code and play the game? How does it all work? Thanks.
http://www.playstation.com/en-us/exp...tlight-27jun14
Carlos_E likes this.
post #350 of 2353 Old 07-07-2014, 10:25 PM

but no GT5 or 6 and no news about if they will be added
post #351 of 2353 Old 07-07-2014, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
PlayStation Now sucks currently. I hope they expand the library with a ton more games at the full launch
post #352 of 2353 Old 07-09-2014, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey everyone, I've been skimming through this forum and don't seem to see any reviews on the 70x850b my local best buy only has the 65 and i was wondering if essentially they are the same? because i love the PQ of the 65?
post #353 of 2353 Old 07-09-2014, 05:38 AM

Sony 65X850B

I was curious from people who own this TV which motion flow mode do you use? I am considering this set and was wondering with the motion flow clear mode is anyone getting judder or shaking of the background in the picture with slow camera pans side to side or up and down (especial on diagonal lines). Can happen with movies on cable or blu-ray. I believe it has something to do with the motion flow and 24p film rate and the TV processors ability to cope. One example of this is in Pacific Rim at time point of 26:55 to 27:05. In this scene people are walking and the background is juddering/shaking.

I am asking this because I have a Sony KDL65W850a which judders a lot in the clear mode. I like the clear mode because of the lack of the soap opera affect and the full resolution of 1080 on motion. I was wondering how this model does in the clear mode since it is one of the models I am considering replacing the 65W850A. Thanks.
post #354 of 2353 Old 07-09-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattopotamus View Post
In size VS price the 850B is better Depends how you look at it.....
post #355 of 2353 Old 07-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
In size VS price the 850B is better Depends how you look at it.....
Is there no 49X900B in the pipeline? That is the largest I can fit into my space.
post #356 of 2353 Old 07-09-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalpride66 View Post
Hey everyone, I've been skimming through this forum and don't seem to see any reviews on the 70x850b my local best buy only has the 65 and i was wondering if essentially they are the same? because i love the PQ of the 65?
Funny, I just came back from my local BB and they only had the 70, not the 65. PQ is the same but the price jump from 65 to 70 is huge. Stick with the 65x850b

"Be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful."
- Warren Buffett
post #357 of 2353 Old 07-09-2014, 05:05 PM

Just got back from BB looking to check out the 65x850b. They only had the 70" on display as well as a 55x900b right above it. The colors on the 900 were far superior. The glossy finish also looked nice in the dark room but is probably a pain during the day. I just recently heard about the Sharp Q+ screen and they had a 70" in the room. I was BLOWN away by the colors and brightness of the Q+. For those that don't know, it is not a 4K set, rather a 1080P with sub-pixel technology which adds definition to the picture. I kept looking at the Sharp, even when standing in front of the Sony. Now it looks like the Q+, the darkhorse, vs. the 65x850b. I wish BB had better WiFi because I wanted to test the streaming through YT.

For some reason the rep (a younger kid who did not know as much) kept trying to sell me on the Samsung 65" Plasma. It looked nice with a Blu-Ray but not into Plasma.

"Be fearful when others are greedy and be greedy when others are fearful."
- Warren Buffett
post #358 of 2353 Old 07-09-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Settings help?

12 pages so far and no consolidated list of settings to start at? Can someone better at this than me please list what they are using for the 65"? Thanks in advance!
post #359 of 2353 Old 07-09-2014, 05:45 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT2 32MB View Post
Funny, I just came back from my local BB and they only had the 70, not the 65. PQ is the same but the price jump from 65 to 70 is huge. Stick with the 65x850b
thats funny when i was looking my fiancé was like all that extra money for 5 inches! and i tried so convince her those 5 are really important
Janibrewski and Wraith2 like this.
post #360 of 2353 Old 07-09-2014, 08:16 PM

So Fry's is engaged in an active campaign to tease me. They called me at 730 to say that they had xfrd a unit from another store, so come and get it. Find a truck, head on over, they pull the box out and it's destroyed. It had been dropped from a height enough that one lower corner was crushed but far worse was that something very big and very heavy had been dropped on top of it enough for the cardboard to contact the screen and turn the styrofoam to snow.

Needless to say I didn't take it. And now I continue to wait....

first world cat problems

Last edited by TcdF22b2; 07-09-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - XBR-49X850B by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page